GA GA - Monica Bowie, 34, Dekalb County, 5 July 2007

christine2448

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Woman believed to have been kidnapped

Published on: 07/09/07

Police are searching for a 34-year-old woman whom they believe was kidnapped in DeKalb County.

Witnesses told police they heard Monica Renee Bowie screaming and saw a 2002 burgundy Mercury Sable speed away from the 1000 block of Gables Drive at about 11:10 p.m. Thursday.

Although witnesses did not see Bowie being put into the vehicle, police said, officers found evidence of a struggle in the parking lot.

Police have found the vehicle and identified two men as suspects.

They are searching for a heavy set black man with a beard, low cut and possibly wearing a plaid shirt in his late 20's to early 30's and a small dark-skinned man in his early 30's.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/met...0709missing.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

I believe the car was found burned, but not positive, with no signs of Monica.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/13644541/detail.html
An Atlanta woman was kidnapped and her mother in Pittsburgh is searching for answers.

Channel 11 has learned that Monica Renee Bowie was abducted from her Atlanta area apartment on Thursday.

Her mother, Linda Howard, lives on Pittsburgh's North Side and talked with Channel 11.

Howard said, “I'm going to go to Atlanta if I have to walk I'm going to Atlanta.”

Howard and her family are frantic. Howard learned on Sunday that her 34-year-old daughter is believed to have been kidnapped.

Her daughter's friends called and told her that Bowie’s disappearance was all over the Atlanta news.

“There were plenty of witnesses -- screaming to the top of her lungs, ‘Help me. Help me. Help me,” Howard said.

She said Bowie’s purse was found in the parking lot of her Dekalb County apartment.

Howard said, “They witnessed two guys putting her into a car -- two black males, one heavy, one small -- putting her into a car.”

Police have now found a burgundy Mercury Sable suspected to be involved, but there is still no sign of the men or Bowie. Howard said she last talked to her daughter on the Fourth of July. She was planning her wedding.

Police said the missing DeKalb County woman, 34-year-old Monica Bowie, was arrested last month on felony drug and weapons charges. She disappeared on Thursday night -- and was possibly kidnapped -- from her own apartment complex off Roxboro Road.

On Friday night, police found the car that may have been involved in her disappearance. Other residents said they saw a car speeding out of the complex -- a burgundy, Mercury Sable. Inside the car, two men, in their late 20s or early 30s. One of them, heavy-set with a beard. The other man, small. Police said they found evidence of a struggle in the parking deck. DeKalb County detectives are examining that car, looking for fingerprints and other possible evidence.

http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=99712

I'm not sure if any of you guys watch The First 48 on A&E but there was a case that sounds a little like this one. A young woman had been arrested on drug charges and decided to tell everything she knew. The drug dealers decided she was a snitch and set her up. Her body was found in her vehicle, both burned.
I hope this isn't the case for this young woman. Hopefully she'll be found alive .

http://www.aetv.com/the_first_48/first48_episode_guide.jsp?episode=180921

I'm not sure if any of you guys watch The First 48 on A&E but there was a case that sounds a little like this one. A young woman had been arrested on drug charges and decided to tell everything she knew. The drug dealers decided she was a snitch and set her up. Her body was found in her vehicle, both burned.
I hope this isn't the case for this young woman. Hopefully she'll be found alive .

http://www.aetv.com/the_first_48/first48_episode_guide.jsp?episode=180921
Lizzy~ I saw that episode... It's so sad when individuals get caught up in this kind of lifestyle. I hope they find her soon.

Police arrested a man for the theft of a car involved in the kidnapping of a DeKalb County woman.

Monica Renee Bowie, 34, was taken kicking and screaming from her apartment at the Berkshire Apartments on Gables Drive Thursday, according to witnesses.

Police said she was forced into a 2002 burgundy Mercury Sable and driven away.

The car was found abandoned in Atlanta on Friday.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/13645119/...l=atl_12pm&ts=T&tmi=atl_12pm_1_11000307092007

I pray that this woman is found alive. It is scary to think that people were close enough to hear her screaming but couldn't save her. The men who took her must have been truly brazen.

I hope the guy they arrested can help them find the others. I'm sure for some sort of plea deal he will think of something. :behindbar

praying for Monica and her family!

Didn't anyone rush to help her when they heard her screams? I pray they find her alive soon.

Maybe she faked her kidnapping to avoid trial? Probably not, but stranger things have happened.

4:35 PM UPDATE: Police have arrested Gasper Keels and charged him with stealing a car that was seen speeding from the scene. Keels is being held in the Dekalb County Jail, charged with theft of a motor vehicle. Police are still searching for Bowie.

Christine, that is great. I hope she will talk to you as the family is refusing to speak to the media. While I understand that they don't want to be hounded, the best way to get the attention on their daughter is to be right in a camera as often as possible so people will remember.

I was talking with my DH, my MIL and my FIL last night, all of whom listen to AM news and read the paper, and none of them knew there was a missing woman in the area. They need to get this out there.

Totally OT, but this is what I meant in the threads about why some people get more attention than others, and it's not always about race or status. By this point Laci and Natalie's families had fliers out, had done multiple press conferences, and had a command center set up. There was stuff for the talking heads to talk about.

The media may be annoying at times, but they are our best ally in these cases. You've gotta feed the machine to get the word out.

Prayers for Monica and her family. I hope she is found safely and SOON!!!

I spoke to mom. She sounded a bit frazzled. I didn't not ask anything about the case. Told her who I was, a little about WS, LTWH, and offered assistance. Gave her my #'s...told her I would be brief, just want her to know we are here. I told her to start a notebook, and that I'd like to speak with her again when she has time to sit down and take a breath. She has been with LE. I didn't question her, I'm sure she is afraid and not sure who she can trust, also being in a strange place. I told her I knew she was not talking with media and asked if she needed me to set her up with someone to represent her w/media, she said "not at this time'. Anywho, she said she'd call me.

It is NOT in the news. A small blurb last night 11 oclock, I haven't seen anything since.

I am afraid to learn the outcome of this one.

I spoke to mom. She sounded a bit frazzled. I didn't not ask anything about the case. Told her who I was, a little about WS, LTWH, and offered assistance. Gave her my #'s...told her I would be brief, just want her to know we are here. I told her to start a notebook, and that I'd like to speak with her again when she has time to sit down and take a breath. She has been with LE. I didn't question her, I'm sure she is afraid and not sure who she can trust, also being in a strange place. I told her I knew she was not talking with media and asked if she needed me to set her up with someone to represent her w/media, she said "not at this time'. Anywho, she said she'd call me.

It is NOT in the news. A small blurb last night 11 oclock, I haven't seen anything since.

I am afraid to learn the outcome of this one.

So glad you finally got to speak to her. I hope she calls back. They need to get this back in the news or everyone is going to forget Monica and move her to the back burner, then off the stove completely. All it will take is another juicier disappearance.

Sounds like LTWH is very needed, since she doesn't have someone helping her deal with all of this. That may be her choice, or it may not have been offered. Who knows?

Please keep us up to date and let us know what you need.

:blowkiss: for all you do!

No call back :( I can only offer help, if the family doesn't take it, there is nothing I can do.

I was correct, the car was found BURNED.

http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=99812

Now police have arrested Jasper Keels, 24, and charged him with theft by taking, of that same Mercury Sable, which was later found burned in Atlanta.

Police said that so far, there is no connection between Keels and Bowie's kidnapping.

Police have also released a timeline before and after the alleged kidnapping.

On July 4, police said Keels borrowed the vehicle from another man, Tyrone Crawford, who police have said is another victim. On July 5, Thursday, the kidnapping of Bowie took place. On July 6, the car was found burned in Atlanta, and was reported stolen by Crawford. On July 7, Saturday, Keels was arrested.

DeKalb police said Bowie had been arrested on drug and weapons charges last month, but they are not sure if or how that arrest could be related to her disappearance.

Police also would not comment on whether there had been any activity on Bowie's cell phone or credit cards.

ATLANTA (FOX 5) -- DeKalb police said they've identified a suspect in the kidnapping of a 34-year-old woman. Monica Renee Bowie has been missing since Thursday.

Jasper Keels, who police are calling a suspect, denied the charges.

"Mr. Keels, did you have anything to do with the kidnapping?" asked FOX 5 News.

"I don't know what you're talking about," said Keels.

Jasper Keels walked out of court, trying to hide his face from the camera. In court Monday night, he couldn't hide from the judge. Keels denied any involvement in the kidnapping of 34-year-old Monica Bowie. She has not been seen since late last Thursday night.

"I've got a dislocated shoulder and a bad hip --how can I kidnap somebody?" said Keels.

Fox Atlanta

This gives us a better picture of who Monica was, what she did. She was an upstanding citizen, a business owner. Also, gives an account of her recent arrest on drugs/weapons charges, seems she took the rap for her BF :slap:

AJC Dekalb

Griggs described Bowie as an "upstanding" member of the community who owns several companies. The list includes Go2girl Promotions Inc., a company that has promoted performances in metro Atlanta by a number of top hip-hop acts, and LaCoca Wear Clothing, a boutique on Metropolitan Parkway in southwest Atlanta.

Bowie had no criminal history before her June 20 arrest on drug and weapon possession charges by Atlanta police, said Griggs and relatives, who consider her recent legal troubles and kidnapping unrelated. The Cheyney University of Pennsylvania graduate was taken into custody in June after she went to retrieve her car from a crime scene, Griggs said.

According to an Atlanta police report, Shernotta Walters was spotted standing in a Campbellton Road parking lot by an officer who "smelled a strong odor of marijuana." The officer had Walters point out his car, where marijuana, cash and a firearm were found. When Bowie arrived, she reported that Walters, her boyfriend, had borrowed her car, and she also was arrested.

Walters remains in the Fulton County Jail. Bowie denied ownership of the weapon or drugs found in the vehicle, Griggs said.

The charges against Bowie, according to Griggs, subsequently were dismissed in Fulton County Magistrate Court.

Dennis Scheib, an Atlanta lawyer representing Walters, said he first learned of Bowie's disappearance from his client, who called him crying and screaming into the phone, "Monica has been kidnapped. She's been kidnapped."

Griggs said the couple had been living together and was engaged.

The charges against Walters, 35, were dismissed after police failed to show up at his probable cause hearing. But Walters, a parolee, will remain in jail, Scheib said, until a parole board decides on his release because of the new charges. Walters went to prison in July 2004 on a drug conviction in Cobb County. He was paroled in April 2006, according to the state Department of Corrections database.

I just spoke with Monica's sister, who was on her way into the attorney's office to do a press release!

I told her how important it is this stays in the news, I have only seen a couple of blurbs, this needs to stay alive!

I didn't get a chance to get an update...she said she'd try to get mom to call me after the presser.

We shall see.

I will update y'all as I am.

so her fiance, not boyfriend, called her mom about Monica being kidnapped?
Did he hear she was kidnapped or see her being kidnapped? I'm confused!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back