IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per Tony Gatto on Twitter the BPD police chief is on the scene at the landfill. First time Diekoffs name has been brought up in this case. Wonder if that means anything that he is there.
Also per Abby Tonsing Herald times writer FBI evidence van showed up around 8:30 this morning.

New video of the dear, dear parents standing at THE corner of 11th and College.
The fact that CS addresses how difficult it is for others to come up to them and talk, give a hug, is testament to the character and selflessness of these two amazing individuals.

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/

I don't know the answer, but it's an interesting question. I suppose client/attorney privilege lets an attorney ask about anything he/she wants. In this case, IMO, somebody (or more than somebody) might be covering for somebody else. So if one goes down, those protecting him/her might go down, too, but to a lesser degree. I'm assuming client/attorney privilege would also cover that, so it would be a good question to ask, if that makes any sense?

What I learned is that if a client tells a lawyer they are guilty the lawyer is obligated to either convince the client to come forward and or give up the case to another lawyer should it go to trial. They are not allowed to go to trial knowing the client is guilty.

What I learned is that if a client tells a lawyer they are guilty the lawyer is obligated to either convince the client to come forward and or give up the case to another lawyer should it go to trial. They are not allowed to go to trial knowing the client is guilty.

I heard that and wasn't sure if it was true or not. I also heard that is why a defense attorney never asks a client if he did it.

This falls under "clothing," but Bessie/others wondered about the jacket LS was carrying when first leaving SW. LE would know if she had it on in the SW/alley videos ... but if she did, wouldn't the jacket be included in the description of what she was wearing when last seen?

I don't suppose the jacket could be in the dumpster but not LS ... unless it was disposed of after the fact. If so, the jacket could be what the dogs allegedly "hit" on at the dumpster. She could have left it at JR before going to Sports ... or afterward. Perhaps it could had evidence on it, like drug residue, vomit, etc.? Or maybe she dropped it elsewhere? I suppose JR could have also given the jacket to LE if she left it at his place ...

I was thinking of that jacket too. Perhaps they didn't include it in the description because she not actually wearing it. Now I understand what the attention to all of her clothing was about. :waitasec: (This is the first case I've followed.)

New video of the dear, dear parents standing at THE corner of 11th and College.
The fact that CS addresses how difficult it is for others to come up to them and talk, give a hug, is testament to the character and selflessness of these two amazing individuals.

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/

I totally agree. I saw this earlier, as well. Broke my heart. I wanted to jump through my screen and give her a hug right then and there. The long pauses and silences were gut-wrenching.

Any thoughts on FBI evidence van? Would it routinely be at a search just in case, or only if they might have found something? Wishful thinking...

That last sentence is not exactly true. A defense attorney IS allowed to take a client that he knows is guilty to trial. But he is NOT allowed to willfully lie to the court nor allowed to have his client lie or offer false evidence. So if he 'knows' og the guilt he is kind of hampered at trial.

I don't think that's entirely the case. An attorney is not ethically supposed to present a case that the defendant is innocent if they know in fact he's not... but that doesn't keep an atty from challenging the state's evidence and case as presented as well as preserving his client's rights. ...even if that leads a jury to believe the defendant is innocent.

I was thinking of that jacket too. Perhaps they didn't include it in the description because she not actually wearing it. Now I understand what the attention to all of her clothing was about. :waitasec: (This is the first case I've followed.)

IMO, that makes the most sense. But that leaves the questions of where it is and why? If she'd left it at JR's earlier in the night, for instance, would he have turned it over or disposed of it? (It's the first case I've followed here as well ... though I've checked on the Oakland County Child Killer case for years because I'm originally from that area.)

The kind of drug deals that go down at College bars are not the kind that would require anyone to go into hiding for 'knowing too much'. I don't know the POI, but I can say with some certainty that the kids who are considered to be 'drug dealers' in a crowd like this are usually people who just get drugs for their friends and have a connection to a very low level drug dealer. They are not dealing drugs for the income, nor dealing with large quantities of drugs or big powerful drug dealers. This is why I am also very skeptical of the theories that someone higher on the drug chain was called in for 'clean up', it just doesn't make sense to me.

I could be wrong, of course, but in my experience these things would be very unrealistic.

Does IN have any "3 strikes" laws?

I haven't been posting as much here lately, but reading a lot. I think about Lauren every time I wear my ballet flats. :p I'm trying not to get my hopes up about the landfill search, but my fingers are definitely crossed.

Per Tony Gatto on Twitter the BPD police chief is on the scene at the landfill. First time Diekoffs name has been brought up in this case. Wonder if that means anything that he is there.
Also per Abby Tonsing Herald times writer FBI evidence van showed up around 8:30 this morning.

I hope this means they have found evidence to give the Spierers some closure and solve this case. Prayers and hugs to the Spierers, they have been through so much, You can see the strain and heartbreak on their faces in the HT video.

If MSM has only named five POI and this quote from the linked article is true, then that would mean more than 2 POI are returning. JW graduated. I would fall on the floor if JR were to return. He would need a bodyguard. So that leaves CR, MS, DR.

"Several persons of interest in the investigation have registered for fall classes..."

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/28894849/detail.html

Yes, I am very interested to see who exactly is returning. I feel like it would be mildly uncomfortable for both JR and CR though I think it much more likely CR would come back.

Does IN have any "3 strikes" laws?

I haven't been posting as much here lately, but reading a lot. I think about Lauren every time I wear my ballet flats. :p I'm trying not to get my hopes up about the landfill search, but my fingers are definitely crossed.

Yes, it does.

Nice to "meet" you, PJD! Great photo. :greetings:

I have heard that there is a push for people to gather in Bloomy next Monday (or is it Sunday??) to hand out the new LS posters. Are any locals going? I am 1.5 hours away, and am seriously considering it. Any sleuthers who might be going, I think it would be cool to meet at the gathering, share thoughts and insights, theories, etc. PM me if you're interested.

I'm mentioning this again, and it may be nothing, but there was a specific tweet by local reporter that an FBI evidence van came to landfill search today. Is this standard procedure, or might that mean that there are items of interest that have been found?

Love to the Spierers.

I have heard that there is a push for people to gather in Bloomy next Monday (or is it Sunday??) to hand out the new LS posters. Are any locals going? I am 1.5 hours away, and am seriously considering it. Any sleuthers who might be going, I think it would be cool to meet at the gathering, share thoughts and insights, theories, etc. PM me if you're interested.

I'm mentioning this again, and it may be nothing, but there was a specific tweet by local reporter that an FBI evidence van came to landfill search today. Is this standard procedure, or might that mean that there are items of interest that have been found?

Love to the Spierers.

Idk!! Its been driving me nuts all day! I would like to know!

Yes, it does.

Nice to "meet" you, PJD! Great photo. :greetings:

Thanks! :)

I was thinking, some of the posts have questioned why a low-level DD would want to silence someone who was "talking too much" about drugs she got from him...maybe this would be a more likely scenario if the dealer was on his last strike. :waitasec: Who knows, just a thought...

Thanks! :)

I was thinking, some of the posts have questioned why a low-level DD would want to silence someone who was "talking too much" about drugs she got from him...maybe this would be a more likely scenario if the dealer was on his last strike. :waitasec: Who knows, just a thought...

I'm from Indy and pretty sure there is not a 3 strikes law (at least not like the California law).

I'm feeling a collective inhale from the public and also the posters. I seriouly don't think that I'll be able to exhale until that landfill has been throughly searched. I find myself hoping for the best, and knowing that it will be the worst if they find Lauren. I'm not a young woman, full of promise. I've lived my life, attempted to help in missing persons cases and hoping for the best, and most times seeing the worst. I'm praying for this family, that the good Lord will be with them either way this goes, and that he will grant them some peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member