Melissa Huckaby pleads guilty to killing Sandra

Angelwhocares just posted a video in the media thread.

Huckaby will spend the rest of her life in prison.

Good.

Tracy Press, 5-13-10: Cantu Family & Now DA Oppose Case Publicity.

The family of murder victim Sandra Cantu will oppose lifting a gag order and unsealing court records — and in a swift reversal — the San Joaquin County District Attorney’s office will now do the same.

On Wednesday, three news companies, the Associated Press, The Record in Stockton, and the Bay Area News Group filed a motion with Judge Linda Lofthus to unseal records and allow people involved in the case to talk about it publicly.

Today, D.A. Jim Willett decided prosecutors will side with Sandra’s family to keep documents sealed and keep the gag order in place.

A hearing on the gag order and seal is scheduled for May 24.

There were quite a few posts in this forum stating that there HAD to be a man involved, as women don't do the things she did.
Oh, and his long memory........

I was one of the "There Had To Be A Man Involved, Too" posters at the beginning of this case.

I just re-read a poll/thread from a year or so ago, where I wrote that I "couldn't fathom" that a woman would rape, torture and murder another's child on her own accord, and that I was sure there had to be a man behind it. Given the fact that Melissa had a daughter of her own, it just made it harder for me to understand.

It was my belief at the time, that Melissa must have done the actual kidnapping, while a male acquaintance must have committed the rape, torture, and murder.

In the time since, I have come to realize that Evil comes in all colors, sizes, shapes, ages, sexual orientations, and genders.

I still believe that Melissa Huckaby should die by the Death Penalty.

May Sandra Cantu's family finally find some peace. They are still in my prayers.

Hello WS :)

Does anyone have any insight into whether or not the gag order will be lifted?

TIA.

I will say this-I am irritated by the rationalizations being offered by the press including that this prevents the family from having to relive the crime and it's details through the years long appeals process if she had received the DP.

I think that is incredibly patronizing. Mark Klaas has been willing to soldier through-and I suspect that Sandra's family would have as well....

The family of murder victim Sandra Cantu will oppose lifting a gag order and unsealing court records — and in a swift reversal — the San Joaquin County District Attorney’s office will now do the same.

On Wednesday, three news companies, the Associated Press, The Record in Stockton, and the Bay Area News Group filed a motion with Judge Linda Lofthus to unseal records and allow people involved in the case to talk about it publicly.

Today, D.A. Jim Willett decided prosecutors will side with Sandra’s family to keep documents sealed and keep the gag order in place.

Sounds to me like the family did NOT want to have a trial, not so much so they wouldn't have to go through it, but so that the details might remain sealed. I can completely understand that wish, although I have some mixed feelings about the gag order/seal being permanent.

I am one who is completely okay with LWOP.

Sandra's mom: Keep Huckaby details sealed
By Scott Smith
Record Staff Writer
May 21, 2010 12:00 AM

The mother of slain 8-year-old Sandra Cantu, in a written statement, exhorts a judge to spare her family from graphic details of her daughter's death and forever keep them sealed.

"We cannot carry any more weight in our lives," Maria Chavez says in a declaration. "And if the photographs and forensic examinations of my daughter are disclosed, I do not know how we would be able to cope."
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100521/A_NEWS/5210325

So sad for the family of Sandra. This is what ICA should do...IMO..plead guilty and spare the gory details of these childrens death being exposed to the public..

from the link above
Releasing disturbing details of Sandra's death would again stir up the "media sensationalism" surrounding this case, Chavez said. Seeing reports and photos through the media of Sandra's last living moments will give them nightmares, she said.

"I am tortured by it," she said. "I struggle not to let the anger and rage overwhelm me."

I too would be overwhelmed and not how I'd want to remember my child. I wish this family strength to get through this difficult time..God Bless Sandra's soul...

The only thing I'd be interested in reading if it was lifted would be Huckaby's confession. The fact that she pled combined with the family asking for the records to remain sealed makes me think this must have been a truly henious murder. I'm not sure I'd ever want to know the details.

BBM- What happened at the hearing yesterday? What was decided?

BBM- What happened at the hearing yesterday? What was decided?

The case will remain sealed at least until she is sentenced.

http://www.tracypress.com/view/full...ay-sealed--for-now?instance=home_news_bullets

Judge Linda Lofthus today declined to lift a gag order or unseal court records before the woman who killed Sandra Cantu is sentenced next month to life in prison without parole.

Lofthus said she'll lift the gag order June 14, when Melissa Huckaby, 29, will be sentenced for killing Sandra, but will decide then whether to keep records sealed.

Wait, so the court records will be released today as well? I am praying for strength for Sandra's family and friends.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/Melissa-Huckaby-Sentenced-Monday-96262974.html

(snips)
The final chapter in a disturbing homicide out of Tracy is scheduled to come to an end Monday in court.
That's when a Sunday school teacher named Melissa Huckaby will be sentenced for kidnapping and killing eight-year-old Sandra Cantu. Among the scheduled speakers at Monday's hearing are Cantu's grandmother and aunt. It was not clear if Huckaby would address the court, as is her right.

If the judge does lift the gag order, authorities have scheduled a news conference exactly one hour after court is dismissed. That is when they will answer several unanswered questions about the case included the cause of the little girl's death.

They are going to be reviewing the gag order...later, at 1:30 I think, but that doesn't mean that info will be released. We'll see...

It would be nice to send Huckaby down to be a roomy with JVS.
He would take care of her for us!

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-news-cantucourttexts,0,2112663.story

"FOX40's Andria Borba is inside the courtroom and is sending out text messages as today's hearing goes on:

Sandra's Aunt Angie Chavez talked first during the sentencing, and talked while images of Sandra played on a tv monitor.

Huckaby is sobbing while the images are playing.

"That video of Sandra skipping down the street will be forever etched in our minds," said Angie Chavez.

"There is no punishment severe enough to bring Sandra back," said Angie Chavez.

"She will have to think about what she has done for the rest of her natural borne life," said Angie Chavez."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back