NY - LISK Bodies found as of December 10, 2011 Thread #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone recall how long it took to confrim the ID's of the other bodies found?
Thought we would have found out already if it was Shannan or not..

Was thinking to myself that its possibly taking longer due to waiting for dna results, As MG didnt want to know unless it was 100% sure?
(last part about MG is my take from MSM, not fact)

5-6 weeks

http://www.longislandexchange.com/articles/news/gilgobeachbody-012011.html

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=7915511

If they're smart they'll release COD at the same time as the identity. Otherwise everyone will go crazy with speculation. Especially if one or both are not what they were expecting.

will they be able to know what killed her? or will it be Caylee all over again? no way to even prove if she drowned?

oh man...what a mess.

will they be able to know what killed her? or will it be Caylee all over again? no way to even prove if she drowned?

oh man...what a mess.

Yes they CAN find out wheter she drowned or not even if it is only skeleton remains, read Dr. Badens explanation on this + more in this link:

http://www.newsday.com/news/breaking...eath-1.3388774

Here is a quote concerning drowning:

The examination of skeletal human remains found Tuesday near Oak Beach, besides determining whether they belong to a missing Jersey City woman, can also point to the cause of death, an expert said.

Key forensic clues can survive in bones and teeth even over the 19 months the remains -- if they are Shannan Gilbert's -- would have been exposed to the elements, said Michael Baden, a former New York City medical examiner.

Police theorize Gilbert drowned in a wetland thicket. Baden said water contains diatoms, a type of phytoplankton that if inhaled, can later be detected in bone marrow.

"If they are present and they match what's found in the water, that will indicate she was alive and breathing when she went into the water," he said

At one point, Dormer seemed to make a verbal slip, mentioning "the canine unit who found the parts of Shannan Gilbert," whose death has not been connected to the other killings.

-Source

What is this all about?

Canine unit?

Parts of Shannan?

He didn't say the parts of a skeleton that is believed to be Shannan either. He said "parts of Shannan".

Really seems unlikey since it is human nature to walk in circles. The SK seems to like straight lines. How would The AB an C line up on a compass. Would it point to East ?

It is?
Personally I would have ran straight the heck out of there if I could and follow the road but in the brush.

Concerning when we can expext to get info on wheter the reamins are Shannan Gilbert or not.

Back in Dec 2010 it took them only a cupple of days to conclude that the 4 bodies found was NOT Shannon Gilbert.
"Thursday" beeing Dec 16, 2010, and the 4 bodies was found Dec 11, 2010 and Dec 13, 2010.
SO, it only took them 3 days from Dec 13 til Dec 16.
I guess that means we could expect to know by tomorroow if the remais found is SG, and if we don´t get a confirmation by tomorrow, it is, IMO, reasonable to speculate if the remains is somone else thatn Gilbert.:.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...idens-remains-not-shannan-gilbert-s-1.2546580

A New Jersey woman who disappeared at Oak Beach in May is not among the four female bodies found dumped in Gilgo Beach, Suffolk authorities said Thursday, complicating the work of investigators desperate for leads in their search for a potential serial killer.
Authorities concluded Thursday from the medical records of Shannan Gilbert, 24, of Jersey City, that she couldn't be one of the four.

Really seems unlikey since it is human nature to walk in circles. The SK seems to like straight lines. How would The AB an C line up on a compass. Would it point to East ?
<bbm>

I missed your point about the "straight lines" on my first go-round Soul !!

Yes, straight lines and street lamp in SG's case, calculated distances between bodies of the G4; psychological indicators of a mind that compartmentalizes by fitting things into neat little boxes, not going "outside the lines".

Hi guys, this is my 1st post. I have been questioning the reason that Officer Malia and Blue started searching the area to begin with last Dec. If I remember correctly they said he was using Shannan Gilbert's missing person case as a training exercise for Blue. If this is the case why was he searching 5 to 6 miles away on the opposite side of the OP from where Shannan was last seen. If he was indeed looking for Shannan why did he not look on the OP in Oak Beach, which is exactly where her body was found. If he had maybe he would have found Shannan but not the GB4.

Not sure if this has already been answered or not (I'm still reading page 1), but Officer Malia was simply out training his dog when he discovered the first body. He wasn't specifically looking for Shannan, or anyone else.

Hope that helps.

And welcome to the wonderful world of posting! :)

Additionally, there are MANY factors that affect the rate of decomposition, not just temperature. Body weight, dampness, aridness, type of material covering body, lack of material covering body, insect activity, etc. etc. And the combination of all these factors can increase or diminish decomposition, depending upon how the combined conditions aid or detract from one another. It's entirely possible for a body to skeletonize in that time period under certain conditions.

Additionally, there are MANY factors that affect the rate of decomposition, not just temperature. Body weight, dampness, aridness, type of material covering body, lack of material covering body, insect activity, etc. etc. And the combination of all these factors can increase or diminish decomposition, depending upon how the combined conditions aid or detract from one another. It's entirely possible for a body to skeletonize in that time period under certain conditions.

Ooo wee, trust me, I know all about that.

But I was referring to what some people have suggested was paradoxical undressing (from hypothermia) - removing your warm clothing even as you are freezing to death. So I imagine you'd just feel hot and start taking stuff off - it wouldn't matter that your top is in actuality keeping you warmer. It's easier to take off, you can do it while you're still moving, and it's the first thing people remove when they undress, or at least I think most people would remove a top before they'd remove pants. It seems to me paradoxical undressing would have nothing to do with what's wet and what isn't.

I'm confused. Are you saying that she was behaving rationally because she took her pants, which were presumably wet, off first. Or are you saying that she was behaving irrationally because she didn't take her shirt off first which would be more logical in your mind because it would be easier? As I read it you're saying her behavior was rational on one hand and on the other you're saying it was irrational. It was rational because she was taking off wet clothing and it was irrational because pants would be more difficult to take off than a shirt and thus would be out of logical order.

Either way, you are thinking rationally about the behavior of someone who probably had a break from reality and may very well have been suffering from advanced hypothermia. If she was having a break and/or suffering from advanced hypothermia she was not thinking rationally.

edit: nevermind, I think you may be referring to someone else suggesting that it was logical for her to take her pants off because they would have been wet and thus contributing in some way to her remaining cold and that this indicates she was not suffering from advanced hypothermia because it displays rationality?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...-brings-police-no-closer-to-li-serial-killer/

The autopsy on the skeletal remains, which were uncovered Tuesday by Suffolk police in a dense marshy area near Oak Beach, is expected to take some time to complete. Investigators say the remains are likely to belong to Shannon Gilbert, theorizing based on circumstantial evidence that the death was consistent with drowning.

The medical examiner has what appears to be a "full skeleton" to work with trying to determine cause of death, the source told CBS News.

Scientists will be going "bone by bone" looking for any sign of traumatic injury which is expected to take a long time, the source said.

With this situation circumstantial evidence when it comes to a body, I would rather know the facts instead the proof of the death and who it is exactly. At least before making a statement.

I'm glad to see that they're going to be really meticulous, going bone by bone.

Opinions - what circumstantial evidence would support the drowning theory? I can't think of something - if it's her belongings that's a load.

I FOUND THE MAP

Mods, please remove and leave link if I can't post the map here. If it is ok, can you move it to the first post? I think this map really makes you go "WOW that's a huge distance".

LOOK HOW CLOSE she and her items were to the road. Look how far they are from each other. Unless it turns out that her belongings were also found somewhere in the middle, I'm still disagreeing with LE.

Map courtesy of the Long Island Press
http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/12/14/gilgo-victims-families-say-shannan-gilbert-was-murdered/

Attachments

• MAP.jpg
    MAP.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 66
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57343903/a-missing-womans-link-to-a-l.i-murder-mystery/

Investigators don't believe Shannan Gilbert is another victim of the killer. Instead, they theorize she accidentally drowned. But Gilbert's family refuses to believe that. They say the 911 call and the fact that her clothing and purse were found far from her remains suggests murder.

Moriarty will have more on this case on "48 Hours Mystery," Saturday evening at 10/9 central, on CBS.
---

Nothing really new in the article
But, Looks like a show for us all to watch..

Scientists will be going "bone by bone" looking for any sign of traumatic injury which is expected to take a long time, the source said.

Hmm, re-reading that,, Kinda goes with my thinking on shannan.
She was going threw the marsh, broke a leg or ankle and went into shock and possibly went hypothermic.. I dont really think she drowned tho, supose anything is possibly tho..

FWIW, Fluke is says he has reliable sources saying they did find a metal jaw plate and it is shannans remains..

I FOUND THE MAP

Mods, please remove and leave link if I can't post the map here. If it is ok, can you move it to the first post? I think this map really makes you go "WOW that's a huge distance".

LOOK HOW CLOSE she and her items were to the road. Look how far they are from each other. Unless it turns out that her belongings were also found somewhere in the middle, I'm still disagreeing with LE.

Map courtesy of the Long Island Press
http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/12/14/gilgo-victims-families-say-shannan-gilbert-was-murdered/

Sorry but that map at Long Island Press is incorrect. They have the location of her personal items too far West. The Newsday map is more accurate. Whoever made that map for Long Island Press clearly was mistaken because they have her belongings as being found on the access path that they started using to search. That path was searched the previous Tuesday and then was used repeatably to access the wetlands. Here is the correct map;

1-b61283105f.jpg

That map can be found here; Map

Her belongings were far from the road as you can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa