GA - Monica Laminack, 21 mos, mauled to death by dogs, 27 March 2013

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=3&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_NKNWU00L3_UNEWS

ELLABELL, Ga. (AP) — A toddler who slipped outside through a doggie door was mauled to death by her family's seven dogs in the backyard while the attack went unnoticed by the child's mother and other relatives inside their home, a southeast Georgia sheriff said Thursday.

Bryan County Sheriff Clyde Smith said the child's grandmother told investigators she was lying in bed when she heard the pit bulls and pit bull mixes barking, and she looked outside her window to see them dragging the girl. Smith said she began yelling, "They're killing Monica!"

It was too late. Monica Renee Laminack, who would have turned 2 on June 1, was dead by the time an ambulance arrived Wednesday evening. Animal control officers used drugs to euthanize the dogs at the home on a rural road in tiny Ellabell, about 30 miles west of Savannah. Deputies found the girl's shoes, diaper and shredded clothing scattered across the fenced-in yard, Smith said.

"They had dragged the child all over the yard. ... They tore her clothes all up," Smith said..............

The sheriff said at least three adult relatives were inside the home when the dogs killed the girl outside. No criminal charges had been filed Thursday. Smith said he expects charges will be brought after he's had a chance to discuss the case with the district attorney and the girl's family has been given time to hold her funeral.

"I can see child neglect at the very minimum," Smith said.............

More at link.....

I really do not know what to say that I haven't said already at least twenty times on this board.

SMH

Relatives told investigators the dogs that mauled the child were essentially family pets — a mother dog and six offspring from a litter she had about 16 months ago, the sheriff said.

He said relatives insisted the toddler would play with the dogs and even "used them as pillows while watching TV."

Ummm...yuppers. And no one heard the kid screaming or the dogs growling.

Totally unexpected that.

I watched 3 pit bulls maul my yorkie to death about 10 years ago. They were my neighbors, my dog got out of fence that my ex forgot to close. Horrible.

I can only imagine what this was like. How horrible. Why have animals that would do such a thing? This poor baby.

I watched 3 pit bulls maul my yorkie to death about 10 years ago. They were my neighbors, my dog got out of fence that my ex forgot to close. Horrible.

I can only imagine what this was like. How horrible. Why have animals that would do such a thing? This poor baby.

Yeah I am sure it wasn't pretty but apparently the family didn't notice.

Regardless pits used to be the "all American family dog". The dog in the Little Rascals? A Pit. Pres. Roosevelt owned a Pit. Pres. Woodrow Wilson owned a pit.

They were the great all around loyal kid friendly family dogs. Then something awful happened to them and it was intentional. It wasn't their fault, but the fault of humans. Those same humans will do it to other good dogs.

That is so terribly sad for the family, the baby, and the dogs. My dog pack consists of 2 large pit bulls, a large German shepherd, a Labrador retriever (therapy dog with obedience title and does agility too), a foster HUGE Catahoula leopard dog/lab mix, and a foster shepherd/hound mix. My dogs are family pets and get along well with people, other dogs, and cats for the most part. However, they can get into a tiff over a bone or toy that leads to a fight and then all join in once they catch the excitement level of the ones fighting. I have to yell at them to stop and grab the aggressor and pull it out of the scuffle while ordering the other dogs to go on their way. For all the noise and teeth flying, none of the dogs end up with any wounds on them. Of course, I have trained 80 to 100 pound dogs for over 50 years and have trained or retrained quite a few foster dogs who are adults with no obedience or social skills. Rule number one, is do not EVER let a baby, toddler, or child be alone with a dog--not even a small dog. ALWAYS supervise a child with a dog. Yes, children can use my pit bulls and other dogs as pillows to watch TV. But always under my supervision and only certain dogs that have been well trained. I know the body language of my dogs. I can tell even a tiny twitch on a cheek or a look in the eye that means a dog is going to lash out. I know the body language of fear in one of my dogs that might make it try to nip (usually a "fake" bite in the air) to try to protect itself. None of my dogs have ever bitten anyone or hurt another dog or cat. However, when my grandchildren come over, I put my dogs in crates or kennels Not because the dogs are mean but because sometimes the grandchildren will do things that hurt or tease them without realizing it. A toddler will kick a big dog with a bare foot and laugh. A toddler will poke a dog's eye or ear or pull its tail or even try to ride on its back. Sometimes a dog can only tolerate so much before it wants to get away. Dogs don't like to be hit over the head with a toy either. Always supervise a dog with a child and don't let the child hurt or torment the dog. If one dog attacks, other dogs nearby are likely to join in. Its the nature of dogs. Also, if a small child is running, its in a dog's instinct to chase and that can lead to the child accidentally being knocked over with several dogs standing over it. A child screaming or crying can excite a dog. NEVER allow a child to be with a dog unsupervised no matter how friendly the dog is!!!!!

Regardless pits used to be the "all American family dog". The dog in the Little Rascals? A Pit. Pres. Roosevelt owned a Pit. Pres. Woodrow Wilson owned a pit.

They were the great all around loyal kid friendly family dogs. Then something awful happened to them and it was intentional. It wasn't their fault, but the fault of humans. Those same humans will do it to other good dogs.

I agree, fault of the humans. You would not believe the crap I would see with these people and their dogs. i was constantly calling animal control on them.

After the mauling of my dog, animal control come out and made them fence the dogs. I come home after work one day and the owner had been gone for several days they had 3 pits in a very small confided fence poop all over the place dogs laying in it, no water, no food. And yes I called animal control again. She got ticketed and finally moved them to another location.

A toddler will kick a big dog with a bare foot and laugh. A toddler will poke a dog's eye or ear or pull its tail or even try to ride on its back. Sometimes a dog can only tolerate so much before it wants to get away.

Plus note this was a pack of SIX litter mates born and raised together. Six siblings all together at over a year of age with apparently very little supervision or guidance.

If that baby crossed one of them then it became a family/pack thing. Blood is thicker than water.

Something was seriously wrong in that house, drugs? Something wasn't right. But of course now that the baby is dead the dogs will all be killed and most likely the adult humans will be pitied with no one holding them the slightest bit responsible.

Sonya, I think the dogs you are referencing were American Bulldogs.

Pit bulldogs were bred exclusively to fight in pits, not to be human companions. Granted, they were shot on sight for any aggression whatsoever toward humans, and so were bred to be dog aggressive only and VERY few pit bulls of the old time "dog men" would so much as snarl at people. Human aggression was unacceptable - but fighting to the death with other dogs was the breeding strategy.

Still holds true today. Very few pit bulls are human aggressive, but the majority are dog aggressive.

But when they do turn human aggressive, they're deadly. Unlike grandma's cocker spaniel that will take one good bite and then run under the bed, pit bulls stick with it until their prey is dead.

And sadly, pit bull's human prey are never burglars or threatening people. They're small children, pregnant women, and old people. You NEVER hear of a pit bull mauling to death a young aggressive man. They only maul to death the weak, who are trying to escape their attack. Pit's human victims were never a threat, they're the weak prey.

But most Pits live their entire lives without ever growling at a human.

Bizarre! and So sad. They had a doggie door, so you would think the dogs came and went when the child was around.

What the child endured is just horrible, I don't know what to say.

What I don't understand is what is the purpose of breeding a pitbull and keeping the entire litter? I am not found of breeding at all, there are so many good dogs that need homes. There is a big problem with backyard breeders. I wish it could be stopped. I see no logical purpose in owning so many dogs unless you are a rescue, fostering, or something along those lines. Taking care of dogs is a lot of work and a lot of money if they are cared for properly. If not cared for properly, IMO you are just asking for trouble.
I would never leave a toddler unsupervised around a dog, let alone own a pack of pitbulls.

Sad, and too late - child neglect, child endangerment, but the baby is dead. That was a grizzly horrific death that could/should have been avoided. When dogs are valued more than children, the home owners who own the dogs need to be penned up.

this story strikes every chord in me, I hate those! I run a dog rescue, I have small children in my home. Ive done so since my children were infants. We have never had a dog on child issue or even a dog on dog issue. Its not because my fosters and rescues are perfectly trained animals, its because extremely careful management is in place. No dogs unattended with children ever! We currently foster 1 pitbull/American bulldog mix, one sharpei, 7 minpins, 1 shorkie, 1 shepherd mix, and 3 labs. Every door and gate is locked, the dogs are not allowed in the children's rooms, and the children are not allowed in the dogs areas without an adult to supervise. The mix of dogs I currently house could easily take down an adult, nevermind a small child. I know that being a healthy medium built woman I wouldn't be able to restrain all that dog power if ever they decided to pack up on me. For that reason no more than 3 dogs are allowed to be outside in the play yard together at any time. Its insane to allow unrestricted access to a pack of 7 dogs, regardless of breed! This poor baby, I am heartbroken that her little life was ended so horrifically. Im also saddened that 7 dogs never got the chance to be in responsible loving homes and ended up adding to the stereotype.

Tragic! I can't imagine what that baby endured in her final moments. RIP baby girl!

Last week, in Panama City, FL, a little 7yo boy was attacked by 2 pits (mixed) while in his back yard. He survived for the first few days in critical condition. He went to be with Jesus yesterday. He is the son of a friend of friend of mine.

The owner of the dogs have been charged with tampering with evidence after washing blood off the face and paws of one of the dogs.
http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/Boy-Attacked-By-Two-Pit-Bull-Mixes-Dies-201839271.html

The dog owner was charged with manslaughter today.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back