TV Journalist's Laura Ling and Euna Lee Pardoned!

They found the body of 8 year old Robert Manwill in a canal in Idaho. :(

I just read on CNN that President Clinton was requested to come by Kim Jong Il.

I think Kim Jong Il got a little more than a paper star on his forehead for this
prisoner release.

That said - I am very glad that they are home. They would have died there
had they not been released.

Earthling

I appreciate your humor:)

I still want to know the terms of the release though. It makes no difference to the happiness I feel for their families right now. Hopefully, we will get an outline of how this was arranged. I'm very curious is all.

I appreciate your humor:)

I still want to know the terms of the release though. It makes no difference to the happiness I feel for their families right now. Hopefully, we will get an outline of how this was arranged. I'm very curious is all.

I think just the fact Bill Clinton was the one to show up, plus Hillary asking for amnesty rather than saying the women were innocent is what helped the release. BC coming showed respect to N. Korea, he is a gifted speaker and Imo has a ton of charisma when you see him in person.
Of course there will be some who will use this as a way to slam him and would probably prefer the women stayed there rather than see BC getting something good done.
Now that the women are back home I have no doubt every word/statement is very well thought out before said, there are other people being held in other countries and other releases are being sought.

I was very proud of Bill and how he handled the arrival on American soil, staying inside the plane rather than coming down the steps with the women, I can picture some polititians using that time to milk it for every photo op possible!

VB

I watched their return today with such overwhelming joy and elation! :woohoo:God is good!

Clinton and Carter are great examples of the the good work and the difference former presidents can make in a diplomatic or charitable role.

I read on CNN that Kim Jong Il had requested this meeting and said if BC came he would release. So maybe it was just having a little faith? i know wishful thinking lol...I don't know but I am so happy for these 2 women and their families. One has a 4 year old and I can't imagine not seeing my 4 year old for 3-4 months. Heartbreaking!

I think just the fact Bill Clinton was the one to show up, plus Hillary asking for amnesty rather than saying the women were innocent is what helped the release. BC coming showed respect to N. Korea, he is a gifted speaker and Imo has a ton of charisma when you see him in person.
Of course there will be some who will use this as a way to slam him and would probably prefer the women stayed there rather than see BC getting something good done.
Now that the women are back home I have no doubt every word/statement is very well thought out before said, there are other people being held in other countries and other releases are being sought.

I was very proud of Bill and how he handled the arrival on American soil, staying inside the plane rather than coming down the steps with the women, I can picture some polititians using that time to milk it for every photo op possible!

VB

I read on CNN that Kim Jong Il had requested this meeting and said if BC came he would release. So maybe it was just having a little faith? i know wishful thinking lol...I don't know but I am so happy for these 2 women and their families. One has a 4 year old and I can't imagine not seeing my 4 year old for 3-4 months. Heartbreaking!

Thanks to both of you for sharing your opinions on how this release might have been done.

I just have a curiosity because ~ now it is a part of our history. OT: When I was pregnant with my oldest child Iran took hostages in 1979.(different circumstances) I followed that closely too.

I don't have an opinion one way or another about who arranged the release, I am just curious as to how they did it and I'm glad that they did.

Thanks to both of you for sharing your opinions on how this release might have been done.

I just have a curiosity because ~ now it is a part of our history. OT: When I was pregnant with my oldest child Iran took hostages in 1979.(different circumstances) I followed that closely too.

I don't have an opinion one way or another about who arranged the release, I am just curious as to how they did it and I'm glad that they did.

Carter caught a lot of flack for the way he negotiated their release. He did not want to get into an armed conflict and choose to go the slower route of diplomacy. They did try to rescue them and that ended in disaster with two US helicopters crashing and killing several military men. The hostages were finally released a little after a year of being captured after the Algiers Accords were signed.

I could have sworn i posted this earlier but it is not here.....

I just wanted to add that I think Clinton and Carter are great examples of the positive things former presidents can do regarding diplomacy, charity and human rights.

Carter caught a lot of flack for the way he negotiated their release. He did not want to get into an armed conflict and choose to go the slower route of diplomacy. They did try to rescue them and that ended in disaster with two US helicopters crashing and killing several military men. The hostages were finally released a little after a year of being captured after the Algiers Accords were signed.

I remember that gaia. Although I was much younger, I sat and watched the evening news and read as much as I could on it.

Carter did take a lot of flack and in fact, it cost him a lot as President.

I deeply admire his humanitarianism though.

Although these were two very different circumstances I do like to ask questions on what-when-why-where- and the how of things. It's just one of my quirks. :)

I remember that gaia. Although I was much younger, I sat and watched the evening news and read as much as I could on it.

Carter did take a lot of flack and in fact, it cost him a lot as President.

I deeply admire his humanitarianism though.

Although these were two very different circumstances I do like to ask questions on what-when-why-where- and the how of things. It's just one of my quirks. :)

I wasn't born yet when the Iran Hostage Crisis happened :crazy: and what I just posted is the extent of my knowledge about it.

I was a Reagan baby.

I never thought about this before, but I'm a Nixon baby!:eek:

I think I'm an Eisenhower or Truman baby. I'm so glad that adorable little girl has her mother back! And aren't the husbands/boyfriends handsome?

The whole thing was handled with dignity and class. And Lord knows we could use some dignity in this country.

I am thrilled for her little girl, too! And yes...they are very attractive men. :)

I have to assume with everything the women were subjected to during their capture, it will take time and therapy to put their lives back together. I wish them the best and pray they will have wonderful lives ahead of them with their families and friends.

I have to say...they need to find other jobs now. LOL I think celeb news would be good and would keep them in the US. ;)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back