GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Life imprisonment in the UK is (or used to be) 20 years. But that's just the starting point. A minimum tariff is then imposed - this could be less than twenty years and could also be more than twenty years (Ian Huntley the Soham murderer had a minimum tariff of 40 years set)

The minimum tariff means that's the minimum length of sentence they will serve before they are eligible to be considered for parole. Not many get parole at their first attempt either. If they do get parole they remain on licence for the rest of their life. Even the slightest thing can mean they're returned to prison.

In some cases life really does mean life for the worst murders so where murder is concerned I don't think the UK does too badly where it's sentencing is concerned.

Wouldn't there would also be a possibility for him to be transferred to complete his sentence in the Netherlands (I know I'm getting ahead of myself in terms of guilt, but I'm interested in exploring the possible outcomes)?

I hope so too because a confession would mean Jo's parents may learn something close to the truth as to what happened to their daughter that night.
I would not count too much on that. All confessions are full of lies, which makes it hard to ever understand what happened exactly.

I would like to know from a moderator, please, what can and cannot henceforth be discussed on this forum, in relation to this case, that would not hold any one of us legally liable for the words we type. Thanks in advance,

Just another thought on the prosecution & trial of a Dutchman on foriegn land, does that mean if he's found guilty he must serve his sentence in a Dutch prison under EU Law ??

Not unless of course he has British Citizenship ??

i hate those ads with a vengeance - that opera singer gets on my *advertiser censored* LOL - he should be removed pdq - as should alot of adverts that impinge on our peace of mind

LoL @ Saggy

The best thing for the family would be a confession, if he is guilty. But we don't see that happen very often, not sure about in England if that is more common. I know England does seem to give lighter sentences for murder than the US-does England/GB have life without parole? I don't think I've ever seen that.

Yes we do have full life sentences. The recent 'Crossbow Cannibal' was told he'd never be released. The same with Ian Brady, for another example.

Btw - hello & good evening to our 88 Guests reading & following our discussion on the tragic murder of Joanna Yeates 25 found dead outside a quarry entrance in Longwood Lane Bristol UK on Christmas Day 2010, Jo had been missing for over a week after going for a drink with friends after work on Friday 17th Dec 2010.

Tonight we have news from the Avon & Somerset Police Force that they have charged a man 32yr old Vincent Tabak with Jo's murder & will be sentenced to await trial at Bristol Magistrates Court on Monday 24/01/11.

Please join today, & give us your news, views & opinions which we will be interested to read & elaborate on.

Plus whilst your here, you may wish to join in some of the other discussions on Websleuths of unsolved murders, missing person's & many more other sad/tragic cases from around the world.

Welcome to Websleuths, come & say hello :)

:welcome3::wagon:

Lol Destroyer, he's from my town, his dad lives just around the corner from me, and yes I m sick an tired of him too, I have to turn the volume down.

LOL i will sign the petition if you start it, i hate it

does anyone here know why the maddie mccann case discussion was closed? i wasnt a member then so dont know

Thank you. So in the charge of murder, he cannot be considered for any other charge, but can be considered for lesser of the charges listed?

I am not a legal minded person, but I know you can be charged with murder but convicted of manslaughter, however it depends on the circumstances of the crime and actions of the perpetrator.

I found details of this case which illustrates this. http://www.gazetteherald.co.uk/news...aughter_of_two_young__jockeys_in_Norton_fire/ however it's a completely different case, the guy didn't put his hands around someones neck and strangle the life out of them.

Quotes from NUA prior to being taken in for questioning:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/173246/Jo-Yeates-My-guilt-over-her-death/

Yesterday detectives hunting the killer spent much of the day quizzing neighbour Mr Tabak. Last week he told a reporter outside his home that everyone in the area was sad about Jo’s murder.

He added: “I wasn’t here on the night she went missing, I was away and I don’t know anyone who saw or heard anything.

“We are all very sad about it, and although I didn’t know Miss Yeates, I am deeply saddened by what *happened.”

From the website outlaw.com (run by Pinsent Masons, a law firm):

http://www.out-law.com/page-9742

Publishers should not assume that users will respect court-imposed restrictions on content.

In the case of Baby P, a 17 month old boy who died in 2007 as a result of injuries sustained from repeated abuse, the names of the child, his mother and boyfriend were published on numerous blogs and social networking sites by users who were either choosing to deliberately breach reporting restrictions or were unaware of the sub judice rule. Site moderators were kept occupied removing references to the individuals' identities which were posted by users as well as attempting to ascertain whether the details had been indexed or cached before they were removed from the forum.

In respect of user-generated content, most sites follow the 'notice and take-down' approach whereby publishers remove potentially-unlawful content quickly upon receiving notification.

Some sites also use automated monitoring. In 2006, the New York Times used technology to block British visitors to its website so that it could report on a terrorism trial. The material used in the report was believed to be sub judice in Britain. However, advice should always be sought in individual cases to confirm that any such automated measures are appropriate.

What is considered to be 'taking reasonable care' will change as more sophisticated monitoring technologies become available. Publishers should periodically review their procedures to ensure that they will still be seen to be sufficiently rigorous and that their response to already published material, whether removing it or disabling access, is sufficiently prompt.

does anyone here know why the maddie mccann case discussion was closed? i wasnt a member then so dont know

Admin or the WS owner pulled it due to repeated problems with posters after numerous warnings and it taking an extra ordinary amount of moderator time. Unfortunately that happens with cases when posters can't behave. None of the moderators or admin are paid, they all volunteer their time and when a case takes up too much time it unfortunately goes poof never to return.

Hope that helps!

Does anyone know the answer to this:
If a person commits murder in the Uk then goes to Holland, could they avoid the consequences by staying there? I guess I'm asking would they be extradited?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77