School District Considers Dropping Cursive

So much for "FORWARD". Just make your mark when signing documents. :notgood:

I just had a huge discussion at a parent/teacher meeting at my kids' school about this. DS has always hated cursive and said he could write faster and more easily in print. But they are required to use cursive in school. I asked the teachers if they could choose to write in print: nope. I explained how my brother - who is an attorney - made it through law school by using print all of his many many notes. You can't read his cursive - and he writes faster when printing. Still a big no from DS's teachers.

I came home and discussed it with DS. He said, "What are you talking about? I love cursive." Oops. I was basing my response on last year, not the current year. He said he's glad the teachers made him learn it because it's much faster. He does know how to keyboard because we bought him a program a few years ago. But at home, when he writes stories (almost daily... loves to write), we make him write them out by hand, then he can type them up later.

What worries me is that the brain taps into a different part of the brain when writing cursive than when printing. A more creative part of the brain. And something entirely different than when typing/keyboarding.

I think it should be done away with to be honest, it's a waste of time and by the time the kids are adults it will most likely be obsolete. Should we teach calligraphy as well?

They dropped cursive here over 7 years ago.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I think it should be done away with to be honest, it's a waste of time and by the time the kids are adults it will most likely be obsolete. Should we teach calligraphy as well?

They do at my kids' school... to the older elementary kids.

Educators should be realistic and provide kids with tools that will be needed in the future. What's next teaching them how to type on manual typewriters?

Educators should be realistic and provide kids with tools that will be needed in the future. What's next teaching them how to type on manual typewriters?

I agree with you. Cursive can be taught at home by parents. It's a waste of time/money at school.

Actually yes! Typing on manual typewriters produces better more careful & detail oriented students that spell better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So much for "FORWARD". Just make your mark when signing documents. :notgood:

When my sons private school tried to eliminate cursive, the parents, myself included, demanded they continue to teach it.

Actually yes! Typing on manual typewriters produces better more careful & detail oriented students that spell better!

I prefer teaching students correctly on technologies they will actually use in their lifetime. :waitasec:

It's a lot easier (IMO) to forge a signature if it's printed than if it's in cursive. As a child I loved to try to write like all my sisters. Each one had a very distinct cursive writing. I would hate to see kids not taught this anymore.

I prefer teaching students correctly on technologies they will actually use in their lifetime. :waitasec:

No reason not to do both!

My kids are bummed they aren't learning cursive. It was sort of unofficially and very quietly dropped several years ago here.

What will become of the pseudo-art/science of handwriting analysis? :innocent:

No reason not to do both!

Parents can take an active role in their child's education and teach at home their personal preferences.

Teachers have a limited time during the day to teach kids essential strategies including literacy, logic and reasoning and history.

Adding something that is unnecessary because it's "nice" is an unfair burden to put on already overworked teachers. Not to mention the limited budget that teachers have to work with in the first place.

Parents can take an active role in their child's education and teach at home their personal preferences

Teachers have a limited time during the day to teach kids essential strategies including literacy, logic and reasoning and history.

Adding something that is unnecessary because it's "nice" is an unfair burden to put on already overworked teachers. Not to mention the limited budget that teachers have to work with in the first place.

When I was in school, I had all of the classes you have listed above and they still had time to teach cursive.
Why do away with it now?

When I was in school, I had all of the classes you have listed above and they still had time to teach cursive.
Why do away with it now?

Probably because you weren't learning with the same level of technology that is being taught today. Consider what you actually know how to do on the computer? There's a world of information out there and it's being incorporated into the classroom. The curriculum has changed tremendously. To compare it to the curriculum you had in school and fail to recognize the additional things students are being taught today is a little unrealistic. What would I rather have my kids learn in school? Cursive? or How to utilize the internet and the operating systems of a computer, graphic design? Yeah I'll skip the cursive. LOL

Probably because you weren't learning with the same level of technology that is being taught today. Consider what you actually know how to do on the computer? There's a world of information out there and it's being incorporated into the classroom. The curriculum has changed tremendously. To compare it to the curriculum you had in school and fail to recognize the additional things students are being taught today is a little unrealistic. What would I rather have my kids learn in school? Cursive? or How to utilize the internet and the operating systems of a computer, graphic design? Yeah I'll skip the cursive. LOL

But at what grades do they teach technology? Penmanship usually stops around Grade 4. Are they teaching that much technology daily to kids that penmanship can't be included? Once you teach the letter formations, then whatever writing they do in class can also be graded for penmanship. I don't think it would be too hard to integrate it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back