UT - Ethan Stacy, 4, Layton, 10 May 2010 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Judge Maura T. Smith, who officiated over the case in Orlando (Fla.) Circuit Court, later said that she had not read the father's statement and simply approved the final divorce and custody agreement"

This judge needs to resign, if she hasn't already, for gross negligence in her position as a family court judge. Because it's obvious she doesn't care enough about her responsibility to ensure the safety and welfare of children.

very true!
my point was IF she has diabetes and that is a big IF while in jail/prison whatever ya call it they would have to provide her with balanced meals in a timely fashion and based on that diagnosis alone she might have better meal options than someone without diabetes?
wouldn't they?

I would not say the meals would be better other than decreasing the sugar content. Instead of regular jello they could have the diet jello, smaller serving of starch etc.

I'm wondering if there's any way to find out if she's buying anything through the commissary (food items) to see if she's buying sugary foods.
Of course someone would have to put money in her account for her to do that, since I've read they have had family visit someone might have done that. I hope we're not going to hear about some people sending her money like what's happened with Casey A.

VB

"Judge Maura T. Smith, who officiated over the case in Orlando (Fla.) Circuit Court, later said that she had not read the father's statement and simply approved the final divorce and custody agreement"

This judge needs to resign, if she hasn't already, for gross negligence in her position as a family court judge. Because it's obvious she doesn't care enough about her responsibility to ensure the safety and welfare of children.

First, she did not read the fathers statement, because Ethans father and mother came to an agreement regarding the divorce, custody and visitation through the use of a mediator. The judge heard the agreement between Joe and Stephanie. Why should the judge be penalized or condemned for approving an agreement made between the divorcing couple?

I just feel that, *someone,* has got to go the extra mile and look after the welfare of the kids -- time and again I see divorcing couples and the main focus always seems to be on what is amenable to the parents -- which -- in an ideal world, is great -- but there are too many parents who do not put as their priority the well being of their children. And if a relative can't/won't do it, and a neighbor/friend can't/won't do it, nor a teacher, pastor, the school system -- it seems like the judge is the last stop on the train to either a safe life or a live of hell. Is there, or can there, be any accountability in any of this? Is it that difficult to evaluate and assess the behavior and motivations of these kinds of individual, such that a determination can be made as to how life will be for a child? It feels like kids like Ethan just slip through the cracks of society's infrastructure -- because they are so vulnerable -- same as the many of the elderly who have no one to really advocate for them.

Ok I have two ideas. One if NS was doing insurance and teaching people how to work through it (the "test") despite what kind of insurance it was could he have talked SS into getting life insurance on Ethan?
Maybe they figured eventually he would be declared legally dead and they could "collect" on it, both of them if they were married and the benificary?

Secondly, does anyone know for a fact that SS was in the military at all? Something tells me that a (IMO) Narrsistic would have a hard time being told what to do and have to do the tasks asked of her upon demand during boot camp.

Please excuse my spelling errors in advance. Thank you.

BBM (bolded by me)
Excellent question about the insurance for Ethan! Sure sounds to me like something they would do. Maybe Steph knew of a policy Joe, Ethan's father, had out on Ethan. Having joint custody, wouldn't they split the money. moo

:twocents:

My guess is that SS was dehydrated (from extensive drug use) when NS "saved her life."

I'll eat my hat if meth wasn't involved in this crime-- it makes people exactly this kind of crazy. mo

:twocents:

My guess is that SS was dehydrated (from extensive drug use) when NS "saved her life."

I'll eat my hat if meth wasn't involved in this crime-- it makes people exactly this kind of crazy. mo

Agree - agree - agree! Exactly this kind of crazy! And that's why it's crazy making to try and make sense of 'crazy'. moo

I just feel that, *someone,* has got to go the extra mile and look after the welfare of the kids -- time and again I see divorcing couples and the main focus always seems to be on what is amenable to the parents -- which -- in an ideal world, is great -- but there are too many parents who do not put as their priority the well being of their children. And if a relative can't/won't do it, and a neighbor/friend can't/won't do it, nor a teacher, pastor, the school system -- it seems like the judge is the last stop on the train to either a safe life or a live of hell. Is there, or can there, be any accountability in any of this? Is it that difficult to evaluate and assess the behavior and motivations of these kinds of individual, such that a determination can be made as to how life will be for a child? It feels like kids like Ethan just slip through the cracks of society's infrastructure -- because they are so vulnerable -- same as the many of the elderly who have no one to really advocate for them.

But, as parents we have the right to make decisions for our children. Disallowing two parents to reach an agreement prior to seeing a judge would be a violation of our rights.

I realize people want to reach out, place blame, find a reason no one interceded for this child prior to his egg donor and her monstrous husband murdering this child, but the reality of it is in this case if no one, including Ethans father had any forsight this would happen how would a judge?

I have no doubt if Joe had an incling SS and NS were a danger to Ethan he would have NEVER come to an agreement via mediation. However, it is his right by law to be allowed the opportunity to do so - without asking a judge take his right as a parent to make decisions for his child.

The family court judge who approved the agreement Joe and Stephanie made regarding their divorce is NOT to blame for Ethans murder. Only Stephanie and Nathan are to blame.

JMO

ET: Not every parent divorcing is unable to come to an agreement and put their children first. LOTS and lots of parents can and do. Unfortunately we don't often hear succesful coparenting stories. They aren't newsworthy..... but they do happen.

I imagine they are already talking about what they'd to NS and SS if given the chance!:croc:

that makes me happy... I honestly hope they get exactly what is coming to them... :furious:

Not so! Ethan would have been carried on his fathers insurance. Part of child support includes the provision of medical insurance. (federal law requires this...) Usually the father must carry the child. If the father does not have insurance provided through his employer the state requires written notification of such in which case the father is court ordered to provide or remiburse the mother for the costs to insure the child.

There is no doubt in my mind SS had a copy of Ethans insurance card. JG would have had to contact his insurance provider to find out where his insurance carrier provided coverage in Utah. That is norm in cases such as this. Just like when one goes on vacation, if they have medical needs they would call their provider to find out where they have coverage.

Also, she HAD custody. Remember the courts ordered shared custody so in the courts eyes they had 50/50 by law, regardless of where Ethan spent the majority of his time. (there were links to media articles indicating they had shared custody).

hth

eta: There are also federal laws in place that an insurance provider can not deny coverage to a non custodial parents child based on where the child has primary residency. This is part of the federal child support laws.

etaa: IF and employer does not provide medical insurance it is not enough for the non custodial parent to say so. The information MUST come in writing from the employer. This is a standard form the state sends out when the state handles collection and disbursement of child support.
FWIW, there is also a new hire registry, which by law, companies MUST enter their new hires within 30 days of hire to this registry. This is done to 'catch' those who wish to evade child support or those who do not follow the orders of the court providing the state with any changes in employment or medical insurance. Believe me, I've dealt with it... though these measures are slow as heck, at least here in IL - who just sent me a letter indicating my sons insurance changed in 2008. doy! I knew that- but had to handle things outside the courts since they are so darn slow!

Sorry Cubby, I have to respectfully disagree. My case has been based out of NC for the last 10 years. Ex being the custodial and I being the non-custodial. Never once have I been ordered or asked to provide insurance for my child and technically neither has my ex. I have also never been asked or ordered to pay any part of her medical expenses (never made any sense to me!?) My ex did have state medical coverage for her up until she turned 5 (he jumps from job to job with no coverage for her) My husband and I can provide health, dental and vision coverage for her and all my ex has to do is provide simple paperwork that he should have on hand.. we've told him this for years.. yet here she still sits, age 11, with no insurance coverage. We have been in front of the judge twice for provisions to our original order. Federal law or not, judges do not always order it.

Now in VA, my dad had to pay portions of the insurance my mom had on my brother and I. He also, when my stepmother left him, had to pay portions of my younger siblings coverage.

Sorry Cubby, I have to respectfully disagree. My case has been based out of NC for the last 10 years. Ex being the custodial and I being the non-custodial. Never once have I been ordered or asked to provide insurance for my child and technically neither has my ex. I have also never been asked or ordered to pay any part of her medical expenses (never made any sense to me!?) My ex did have state medical coverage for her up until she turned 5 (he jumps from job to job with no coverage for her) My husband and I can provide health, dental and vision coverage for her and all my ex has to do is provide simple paperwork that he should have on hand.. we've told him this for years.. yet here she still sits, age 11, with no insurance coverage. We have been in front of the judge twice for provisions to our original order. Federal law or not, judges do not always order it.

Now in VA, my dad had to pay portions of the insurance my mom had on my brother and I. He also, when my stepmother left him, had to pay portions of my younger siblings coverage.

I should have been more clear. What I posted applies to child support enforced through the state via an IV-D agency. Child support issues handled outside state agencies don't follow the same procedures. My case is through the state.

ETA: We don't know if child support for Ethans case was handled through the state or not....

I should have been more clear. What I posted applies to child support enforced through the state via an IV-D agency. Child support issues handled outside state agencies don't follow the same procedures. My case is through the state.

ETA: We don't know if child support for Ethans case was handled through the state or not....

Somehow I doubt they were thinking this far ahead, but if accepted for TANF or other state welfare programs, the State will take steps to assure that child support is collected.

Somehow I doubt they were thinking this far ahead, but if accepted for TANF or other state welfare programs, the State will take steps to assure that child support is collected.

Child support enforcement via the state is available to everyone regardless of income and regardless if they are on TANF or other state welfare programs. It is only -mandatory- when one is on TANF or other state welfare programs.

It may or may not have been part of their divorce agreement. We don't know...

Child support enforcement via the state is available to everyone regardless of income and regardless if they are on TANF or other state welfare programs. It is only -mandatory- when one is on TANF or other state welfare programs.

It may or may not have been part of their divorce agreement. We don't know...

Thanks. I know from experience of some close to me that sometimes the state doesn't go after them with quite the same zeal as they do when it involves someone on welfare. However the state of Florida pursued my ex years after the original order, long after I'd given up hope of ever seeing a single penny from him (he never paid at all, ever). Imagine my surprise (and his too) when they caught up with him in Michigan and began garnisheeing his wages for what was owed me plus interest. These checks started coming to me when my daughter was 28, I'm sure he believed he was in the clear once she reached 18. Because of the interest charged, the total he ended up paying was almost 3 times what it would have been if he'd only kept up with the payments in the first place.

/OT

where were these two going to get money for a wedding if they were going to apply for foodstamps, tanf, medicaid?

I hate to say this, but these two remind me of poor folks who try to dress like they have cash, but it is so obvious they didn't.

Then to have the audacity to add all those high end items on the bridal registry? I never in my life heard of having a bridal shower for a second marriage for both the bride and groom. Tacky.... Very very tacky.

I realize the above is not really related to the case, other than to add to how pathetic these two were. Total trash, total scum.

agree!!!!! So much!!!!

http://www.examiner.com/x-40986-Salt-Lake-City-Page-One-Examiner~y2010m5d20-Ethan-Stacys-friends-and-family-ask-congressional-leaders-to-enact-Ethans-Law

Friends and family members of Ethan Stacy are contacting congressional leaders to establish "Ethan's Law," new legislation that will protect children from being returned to estranged parents who have abandoned them.

snipped...

Her goal is to encourage members of Congress to enact legislation preventing judges from granting custody to parents who have abandoned their children. "If they want to establish some type of visitation, it should be done gradually and with due process, and integrate them back into the child's life," she said.

Wow...those pictures made me cry again. He was so loved...

Yes.

That is part of what tears me apart about this. He went from being loved and cherished beyond description to being brutalized and tortured. In just a period of days.

And that photo posted on FB? I think he was alive, but he just seems so ... defeated. I realize his affect is no doubt due to the injuries and whatever drugs he'd been given, but IMO it goes deeper than that. He looks like he's lost all hope. That just breaks my heart. I can't even bring myself to think about what must have been going through his mind by that point. An older person may have been praying for release, to just die and get the agony over with... but a child that young? There's no way he could have processed what was happening to him. I can't process it.

Pretty powerful image.

esc.jpg

Pat Bagley cartoon in the May 14th Salt Lake City Tribune depicts a father holding tight his son while a newspaper lay on the floor with front page headline of Ethan Stacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa