CA - Chelsea King (17) Rancho Bernardo (north San Diego County) #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
God be with the parents right now.This is too overwhelming for people not even directly involved. Every time I see her age '17' I want to almost get sick. Then I get angry......

Ok, I'm reposting my post from yesterday with the photos now linked - I had just missed the amount of time possible to edit it.

ALL my other photos and maps are now linked so you can CLICK and see them larger in flickr and even zoom in flickr.

I'll post today's photos once I get these posted.

**Clicking on photos should let you open them and then zoom in more in Flickr

Since people had been talking about the neighborhood, the homes, and the proximity of the trails to that area, plus the Piedras trail in particular, and where the other reported robbery/attack occurred, this was what I tried to photograph.

Here's a panoramic of that area - below, I have some other photos, and then I also have the individual photos that were used to make this composite so you can see more detail.

This is an updated map from the one I posted last night - the car is where her car was parked by the rec center - the green bike shows the foot/bike bridge which IS open to the public to walk/run/etc. on the north shore of Lake Hodges.

The yellow $ is where the reported earlier attack/robbery in December was AND is where there was the heavy police presence and large group of searchers staging to go in and look.

The green line/loop is where the waterfall is near the Piedras trail, and where the trail gets closest to the homes. This where many searchers were out combing, as well.

Here's a zoomed in map

I would guess the focus on the lake and waterfall area is based on what the Sheriff was saying yesterday about her not being found in the open and on the trails so now they're looking at the water.

As you get further back from the park towards the neighborhood the terrain gets rockier.

This is the proximity of the upper trail to the neighborhood - there's a lower trail area, as well. That's the Legends development with High Mesa, Sun Maiden, and Moon Song. And it's below Moon Song (between that and Smokesignal, which Monticook branches of off) that there is the other main access to those back trails and loops off of Poblado (and where the other attack/robbery was reported to have occurred near Poblado)

Here's a closer shot toward High Mesa, Sun Maiden, and Moon Song - the streets in the Legends development just west of where the primary street access to the trails from Pobaldo is

This is looking toward the bigger area of Lake Hodges from one of the little 'fingers' of the lake. If you look on the far hill where the cloud shadow is, halfway between the shadow and the shore of the lake you can see the upper trail on the north side of the lake - that's one of the trails you can take if you cross the foot/bike bridge to the north side - that is technically Escondido, and where you can follow the trail all the way down toward the dock several miles down and toward the dam (and Hernandez Hideaway restaurant someone mentioned - where we now know the arrest occurred)

If you look from the bottom of the photo is, where you see the fence, and then look up from that, you see the trail that bends right by a large rocky area. That's a waterfall right near the 'finger' of the lake - and that's a popular destination for people hiking/biking/walking/running/etc. If you look back at the composite panorama photo for perspective, you can see where the trail bends to the left, it then goes around the rocks/waterfall area and that's where it gets closer to the neighborhood before hooking back around and heading more westerly again.

And here's a group of searchers above the waterfall area, then there were many others below by the waterfall, at the lake's edge there, etc.

If you look back at the panoramic photo once more, at the top where the power lines seem to start in the sky, look at that hill there in the center of the photo. The helicopter ferrying people out to search backward toward the park were being dropped off somewhere behind the hill.

Does that help provide a little visual perspective for those of you who aren't here on sites? At least it's a better look at the terrain and where some things are in photos and then placed onto a map!

Thank you so much for that traveling Bug, it really helps to have an actual visual to make sense of what everyone is saying.

YOU GO GIRL - keep up that fight! You're important and so is everyone else he has/will hurt. Good for you!!!!!! :furious:

eyes4crime's footnote at the end of her posts says:
According to Anne Rule in her book 'Stranger Beside Me'
...They caught a man suspected of murdering 36 women, a figure they found hard to believe.
When asked, Ted Bundy replied: "Add one digit to that and you'll have it."

BBM

Just read that book again! Ted Bundy came to mind all weekend while they searched for Chelsea because I remembered how he tricked so many young girls to "help" him. Remember how he wore a fake cast?

A friend also reminded me that one criminal always had a dog with him, and would attack the person when they bent over to pet the dog! JAG own a dog?

However, I don't think this is the case with JAG. I have a strong feeling he knocked her down and out fast. I think it could've been him in Dec '09, but he said hi and made his victim more aware soon on. She probably broke his nose to get away, they said. So, I think this time JAG just hid then jumped her and knocked her out, no screams or struggle. I want to believe he just knocked her out, and that she's still alive.

For sure, they'll have to look into other crimes he may have done walking around on the outside when he should've been kept in jail. After reading about what authorities said about JAG back in 2000, I don't understand how they took their eyes off him for a minute.

Ted Bundy looked like an educated Yuppy going places in life, from first glance. I can see how he fooled women. However, this JAG guy looks like a total jackass. Whereas Bundy relied on his brains, JAG probably relied on his brawn.

Public opinion is more on the 'outrage' and 'distressed' side of things today, by and large, at least. People are saddened at what seems to be the sad outcome inevitable in this case, and people are very angry that a) JAG wasn't being monitored more or whatever so he could any of these instances could have happened, and b) that he wasn't (apparently) examined closely enough (or at all) by Escondido PD when Amber went missing.

There is hope in the determination of the community and SD authorities that Chelsea will be found somehow, though, and that hopefully Amber's family will be given answers.

Can you please tell me where Chelsa scanner thread is? I can't find it:banghead:

TIA

Here you go tfro

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96799"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

(members only thread guest)

KNSD (news 7) at 4:

The search is now RECOVERY not rescue.

Some of her clothing was found along the shoreline and that had his DNA on it.

Neighbors are outraged.

Witnesses say his pants were wet and a bit muddy from the knee down.

Neighbors are angry that the description from the December attack (which they ARE saying was JAG) wasn't made public because they would have found him before this.

They mention his history and his fascination with very young girls (which doesn't fit Chelsea or the other runner - and makes me increasingly thankful nothing happened at the elementary school right by JAG's family's home)

Chelsea's parents are still hoping she will be found.

Searchers and the community are even more determined to find answers and to find her, even with news of the arrest. Even Chargers players came out to search. (Way to go community!! Way to rally for one of our own!)

Her family is currently meeting with the DA to know what they will be facing.

JAG will be arraigned tomorrow.

They said it was a very rough day at Poway High and most of the campus (and community - per my own observations out and about) was dressed in blue and emotions are very high and parents are very concerned and worried about their own kids.

Helicopter just went overhead and many sirens just went past. Trying to see what's going on. (Still finishing today's photos and update)

Well, if he's registered up in Elsinore and they didn't have these accurate address records as the one company said in the press conference then I don't know why they would have looked at him in the Dec attack. They can't check every convicted sex offender in a 70 mile radius, which is what it would have been given his given address, correct?

Trying to filter through all the information and rumors. He was arrested at a restaurant on the lake? Is this correct?

no i guess they can't check all within 70 miles since there are so *&*^%^^% many of them...and there will be plenty of finger pointing and sencond guessing after this...what i wonder is how well publicized was the Dec 09 attack? Would Chelsea and family have been aware or was it kind of kept quiet? I know that some nice neighborhoods don't like word of crimes getting out...where my sister lives outside of Houston they had a bike path rapist right in her area and she never heard a word until about the 3rd assault...so i wondered if this was well-known to those of you who live nearby?

I live right in the area and hadn't heard anything about the December attack. IMO it was kept pretty quiet/didnt get enough coverage

TravelingBug I love you for your coverage-I salute you. Thanks......not an easy time for anyone following this case and you have kept your head and helped us keep ours......

Divers searched the shore of Lake Hodges on Monday near the location where searchers found a piece of clothing belonging to missing Poway teenager Chelsea King, according to investigators.
DNA on a piece of King’s clothing found along the southern shore of the lake led to the arrest Sunday of registered sex offender John Albert Gardner III, according to law enforcement sources.
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local-beat/Arrest-in-Chelsea-King-Disappearance.html

Ok, I'm going to post this and the photos, and then I'm going to repost the map with the photos linked there so you can see exactly where the photos are taken to get more perspective.

***Again, all photos are now linked so you can see them bigger on flickr and even zoom in.

There was persistent helicopter activity all day, audible from both RB (south of the lake) and Escondido (north of the lake) - both on the west side (park side) of the 1-15 freeway and the east side.

When I was out earlier, I saw the helicopter quite low going between the north side (near-ish the restaurant where JAG was arrested) and the part of the lake sort of near the neighborhood where the access point is to the trails (where JAG would likely have entered from his part of the neighborhood) - the area where the first attack happened in December - that's the yellow $ on my map.

I decided to drive Via Rancho Pkwy to Del Dios Highway toward the restaurant to see if as much was going on there as there had been on the other side yesterday, and to see if one of the places I used to walk on the north side was accessible.

The road at Lake and Via Rancho is CLOSED not far from the turn onto the street, and, as closed off as it was, it's very obvious that the other main entrance, Rancho, and likely Date and Elm, are also closed with LEO patrol and restricting access.

I have these photos from a day I went out running there with a friend last year, and they will give you an idea of the perspective/terrain.

This is the road to Hernandez Hideaway where the arrest happened, after turning off from Via Rancho Pkwy to Lake Drive, which, ultimately, takes you either toward the dock where you can launch boats three days a week (part of the year, not year round) or toward the neighborhood and the restaurant.

This is looking across the Lake at the peninsula - to the right of the photo, opposite of the end of the peninsula, that area widens and ultimately ends up connecting to the trails by the waterfalls and in the area where the previous attack happened.

The flag on the peninsula here is marked as a Christmas tree on my google map

Another view looking across from just a bit north of Hernandez Hideaway again at the peninsula - the edge of the right here is where I'm saying is essentially what juts up to the bay area on the other side of the lake near the neighborhood and waterfalls that has been heavily searched the last few days and where the helicopter flies between frequently.

(Part 2 coming)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member