CA - Hasanni Campbell, 5, Oakland, 10 Aug 2009 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is WHY were homicide detectives called in????
What did LE find in either the house or the car that they have them homicide detectives on the case??? :shakehead: :cry:

That really has caused my hinky meter to raise that LE knows something that they haven't released to the media yet!

:angel:

Thanks for the photo of the service area, Angel Who Cares. It's not as "alley like" as I had thought from a previous photo I looked at. (Also, thanks so much for your activity on these cases, the information you post is so helpful.)

So if the foster dad says Hassani didn't wear braces WHY was he left to wait by the back door...WHY didn't Hassani just walk to the front door with the foster dad and little sister? Or maybe what foster is saying is that without braces on, Hassani couldn't walk far and that is why he left him at the back? I still don't like the sound of it. The story still doesn't make any sense.

Also, not to jump to conclusions, but if the aunt/foster mom had anything to do with this, it seems so ironic to me that she is worried that a lie detector test will hurt her baby!! Hurt her baby? what about Hassani? Again, jumping to conclusions but I can't help myself.

I am really torn about who I think is responsible. I'm not sure if I understand the circumstances of Hassani's disappearance, but it sounds like "foster dad" may have had Hassani out of the car and it looks like an alley/service area behind the store where Hassani may have been instructed to wait for the back service door could be opened for Hassani to go in. Anyway, I guess I kind of look back at the abduction of Adam Walsh at a mall and don't think it's impossible that Hassani could have been abducted. One of the newscasts mentioned him being friendly IIRC, a stranger could have wandered up and grabbed him? It happens, in broad daylight, in the middle of busy places and no one sees anything, I'm not sure it's impossible in this case either.

Praying for Hassani's safe return.

(Also, biomom said that Hassani's biofather is not in the picture, do we know his whereabouts?)

BBM

I thought one of the articles said San Fransisco - I will see if I can find out if I am recalling correctly.

ETA:

"The boy has lived with Ross, 38, and Campbell, 30, in Fremont since December because his 25-year-old biological mother, who lives in San Francisco, has drug and health problems, authorities said. Police have not spoken to the boy's father, who also lives in San Francisco."

- Updated: 08/11/2009 11:04:23 PM PDT

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_13036933?nclick_check=1

So if the foster dad says Hassani didn't wear braces WHY was he left to wait by the back door...WHY didn't Hassani just walk to the front door with the foster dad and little sister? Or maybe what foster is saying is that without braces on, Hassani couldn't walk far and that is why he left him at the back? I still don't like the sound of it. The story still doesn't make any sense.

Also, not to jump to conclusions, but if the aunt/foster mom had anything to do with this, it seems so ironic to me that she is worried that a lie detector test will hurt her baby!! Hurt her baby? what about Hassani? Again, jumping to conclusions but I can't help myself.

He did wear braces:-

Ross said he was unlocking the store door to give the boy, who wears braces on his feet, easier access. He said the boy was gone when he returned.

In his interview with CBS 5, Ross stressed that the boy's braces were not easily noticeable and urged the public to focus on other features of the boy's description.
There have been no reports of sightings of Hasanni since Ross says he vanished. Ross said Hasanni would "never have walked off" by himself.
He said the boy wears arch-support braces because of his cerebral palsy, not full leg braces, and that the public may have the idea that he needed the braces to get around. "They are to reshape his foot, give him an arch," Ross said. "He doesn't need them to walk."
Don't quite understand that myself. He doesn't need them to walk, but maybe because of his CP he has a lot of trouble walking anyway?? I know CP sufferer's can have a lot of muscular trouble and balance problems.

Symptoms

All types of CP are characterized by abnormal muscle tone (i.e. slouching over while sitting), reflexes, or motor development and coordination. There can be joint and bone deformities and contractures (permanently fixed, tight muscles and joints). The classical symptoms are spasticities, spasms, other involuntary movements (e.g. facial gestures), unsteady gait, problems with balance, and/or soft tissue findings consisting largely of decreased muscle mass. Scissor walking (where the knees come in and cross) and toe walking (which can contribute to a gait reminiscent of a marionette) are common among people with CP who are able to walk, but taken on the whole, CP symptomatology is very diverse. The effects of cerebral palsy fall on a continuum of motor dysfunction which may range from virtually unnoticeable to "clumsy" and awkward movements on one end of the spectrum to such severe impairments that coordinated movements are almost impossible on the other end of the spectrum.
Babies born with severe CP often have an irregular posture; their bodies may be either very floppy or very stiff. Birth defects, such as spinal curvature, a small jawbone, or a small head sometimes occur along with CP. Symptoms may appear, change, or become more severe as a child gets older. Some babies born with CP do not show obvious signs right away. Classically, CP becomes evident when the baby reaches the developmental stage at 6/12 - 9/12 and is starting to mobilise, where preferential use of limbs, asymmetry or gross motor developmental delay is seen.
Secondary conditions can include seizures, epilepsy, speech (apraxia or dysarthria) or communication disorders, eating problems, sensory impairments, mental retardation, learning disabilities, and/or behavioral disorders.
Speech and language disorders are common in people with Cerebral Palsy. The incidence of dysarthria is estimated to range from 31% to 88%. Speech problems are associated with poor respiratory control, laryngeal and velopharyngeal dysfunction as well as oral articulation disorders that are due to restricted movement in the oral-facial muscles. There are three major types of dysarthria in cerebral palsy: spastic, dyskinetic (athetosis) and ataxic. Speech impairments in spastic dysarthria involves four major abnormalities of voluntary movement: spasticity, weakness, limited range of motion and slowness of movement. Speech mechanism impairment in athetosis involves a disorder in the regulation of breathing patterns, laryngeal dysfunction (monopitch, low, weak and breathy voice quality). It is also associated with articulatory dysfunction (large range of jaw movements), inappropriate positioning of the tongue, instability of velar elevation. Athetoid dysarthria is caused by disruption of the internal sensorimotor feedback system for appropriate motor comands, which leads to the generation of faulty movements that are perceived by others as involuntary. Ataxic dysarthria is uncommon in cerebral palsy. The speech characteristics are: imprecise consonants, irregular articulatory breakdown, distorted vowels, excess and equal stress, prolonged phonemes, slow rate, monopitch, monoloudness and harsh voice.[17] Overall language delay is associated with problems of mental retardation, hearing impairment and learned helplessness[3]. Children with cerebral palsy are at risk of learned helplessness and becoming passive communicators, initiating little communication. [3] Early intervention with this clientele often targets situations in which children communicate with others, so that they learn that they can control people and objects in their environment through this communication, including making choices, decisions and mistakes. [3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_palsy

My question is WHY were homicide detectives called in????
What did LE find in either the house or the car that they have them homicide detectives on the case??? :shakehead: :cry:

That really has caused my hinky meter to raise that LE knows something that they haven't released to the media yet!

That is a great question, one which I do not have the answer to expect maybe homicide detectives have a better "nose" whilst searching the house for answers to his disappearance. KWIM They can perhaps see and smell things that regular LE may not??

The question I would like to know is.

Last confirmed sighting on Hassani was at the store on Aug 6.

No one has verified seeing him since then, not even neighbours where they live. No one saw Hassani in the car, by the car or anywhere near that store that day...Was he ever there...if LE can find out that part, they can work backwards from there to find out what happened. IMO...I am not sure he was there at all and no one seeing him since Aug 6 sets my hinky meter right off the scale.

My dad wears a leg brace, (due to a stroke) that is described to be like the one that Hassani wears, it is to staighten his arch of his foot from curling.......it sounds like the same as what his foster dad said he was wearing to help him to form an arch in his foot. It's talked about in the video that is 17+ minutes long. My dad wears his inside of his shoes & if he had long pants on you wouldn't even know he was wearing it.

Not sure if it's the same, but I have a neice that is an OT at our handicap school, when I can get a hold of her sometime today, I'll ask her what she knows about the leg braces used etc. She does have her hands full with twin premies, who with the grace of god are still with us today, they are 1 now, but have a long rough road ahead of them. She does work with many at the school with cerebral palsy. She might be able to give me some info on the brace that she thinks he is describing in the video.

ITA sarahhod....I watched a video not sure which one, but a few days before he was reported missing a neighbor said that Hassani went missing & was found at the park that they searched. He was found that day not long after they realized he was not around. So WHY couldn't he walk into the store with the foster dad at the same time???? It dosen't add up at all his explaination of he did this tomnot disrupt the store with kids. If any customers were in the store, how are they to know if he is a customer just like they are. So who would care if they all walked in together!!!

It just dosen't add up at all. I smell a lot of lies coming out of the foster dad & still am unsure about the Aunt. Right now they are both at the top of my list though!

I hate to think like this, but this is not going to end the way we all would like it to. :shakehead: :cry:

He did wear braces:-

Don't quite understand that myself. He doesn't need them to walk, but maybe because of his CP he has a lot of trouble walking anyway?? I know CP sufferer's can have a lot of muscular trouble and balance problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_palsy

It definitely sounds like AFO's he wears. My Son has right hemiplegia and only needed an AFO for his right foot/ankle. For years he walked on his toes (rt foot) and his foot faced outward. He couldn't keep his foot flat on the floor. AFO's help keep the foot and ankle in proper position. He eventually had to have tendo achilles lengthening (cut and stretch the achilles tendon) to correct it.

So while he may not have been wearing the big metal leg "braces" that people tend to picture, AFO's are still braces and one doesn't need to be immobile to require them.

Okay, I know I am probably going to feel stupid later for saying this, but the video of Ross made me feel less strongly that he was involved. I still do not see any real alternative scenario, but I feel torn now. Did anybody else have that reaction, or is it just that it is late and I am tired?
He is obviously very intellectual, and the only parts where I felt a little hinky is when he was being more emotional. He did seem to have some real emotion for Hassani, but I felt it was more legitimate when it dealt with the pride he felt for Hassani's development.
I hope some developments happen tomorrow on this case, because whether good or bad, Hassani needs to be found.

I just watched this for the first time now, and he is quite intellectual, but that makes it harder for me to "read" him. He certainly is convincing -- He seems to say all the right things, for sure. He makes me feel less strongly that he is involved, also. At first I didn't like the downcast eyes, and no eye contact, but then he did make eye contact with the camera later.

I wonder why he won't say what his occupation is? "Consultant" is so vague. And what class is he taking?

Also, he seemed unable to respond to the reporter's question about why do they think Hassani was abducted? Wouldn't it be the obvious conclusion, if the child is not there and didn't run away, that he was abducted? Yet Ross seemed flummoxed by that one. Of course, if he is innocent I am sure he is stressed very badly.

So, was the back door of the store locked from the outside? Wondering if this is why he walked around to the front. Foster Dad said himself that Hassani could walk...there was no reason to leave him outside alone.

...other than to give him a missing child scenario.

ITA sarahhod....I watched a video not sure which one, but a few days before he was reported missing a neighboor said that Hassani went missing & was found at the park that they searched. He was found that day not long after they realized he was not around. So WHY couldn't he walk into the store with the foster dad at the same time???? It dosen't add up at all his explaination of he did this tomnot disrupt the store with kids. If any customers were in the store, how are they to know if he is a customer just like they are. So who would care if they all walked in together!!!

It just dosen't add up at all. I smell a lot of lies coming out of the foster dad & still am unsure about the Aunt. Right now they are both at the top of my list though!

I hate to think like this, but this is not going to end the way we all would like it to. :shakehead: :cry:

Wow--I was just wondering what a sweet little kid like this could do that would require his parents to punish him and I think you just answered this question. He does "wander off" !

Ross said in the interview: "Hassani doesn't wander off". Thanks, Jesikah1, you are the one who bolded this in your post, saying that it bothered you the way he said it (may not be your exact words). He said that so tight-jawed, with a lot of poorly-concealed anger, I felt. So I am wondering if Hassani got punished severely for doing that...so severely it led to his death?

And the fact that no one has seen him since Aug. 6--no neighbors, nor anyone at the shoe store...this is not looking good.

Missing Fremont boy's caretaker talks to media; homicide investigator assigned to case
Posted: 08/13/2009 08:39:07 AM PDT
Updated: 08/13/2009 08:58:17 AM PDT
<snipped>
Hassani's foster father, in interviews at his home Wednesday in Fremont, asked for the public's help in finding the boy and clarified earlier media reports that Hassani, who has cerebral palsy, wears leg braces.

He said he wears orthopedic ankle braces to help shape his feet and can walk without them.

When asked if he believed that someone he knew might be behind the disappearance, Ross told reporters from the community web site OaklandNorth.net, "As a father, those are thoughts you don't entertain. This has been a nightmare."

An Oakland homicide investigator has been assigned to the case full-time, according to Oakland Police Sgt. Ray Backman.

"It's not unusual in such cases," Backman said. "We're not discounting any possibilities."

"It might appear to be rough, but at the end of the day, the police are trying to find the kid. Until they rule the family out, they're going to be subjects of investigation, because they have to be," he said.

Oakland police on Wednesday also continued their search, and were aided by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. The center has experience dealing with thousands of missing child cases.

"They're here to advise us, make sure we're covering all the bases and not missing anything," Oakland police Lt. Sharon Williams said.

There haven't been any independent witnesses who saw the boy in Oakland on Monday, police said.

Some in the Rockridge area said they haven't seen the boy since last week.

Three men living in different homes on Roxie Terrace in Fremont &#8212; the same street where Ross and Campbell live &#8212; said they don't recall ever seeing the boy.

"I've never seen him," said Pavan Muppidi, a father of young children who has lived on the street for seven years.

Community Web Site:
http://oaklandnorth.net/

Article:
http://www.insidebayarea.com/localnews/ci_13052778
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Homicide cops join missing-boy investigation
Thursday, August 13, 2009
<snipped>
(08-13) 09:01 PDT OAKLAND---Six investigators joined officers from the Oakland police missing-persons unit in canvassing the area Wednesday outside the shoe store where Hasanni Campbell was reportedly last seen. Police passed out flyers along the 6000 block of College Avenue in the city's Rockridge district, urging anyone with information to contact them.

Oakland homicide Sgt. Mike Gantt, who was among those who visited the scene, said today that police wanted some of their more seasoned investigators to work the case and that no assumptions should be made because they had been brought in.

"It's still a missing-persons case," Gantt said.

The homicide squad's visit came as Hasanni's foster father, Louis Welton Ross, 38, of Fremont urged anyone with information about the boy's whereabouts to contact police.

Ross said he would not talk about the details of the investigation, saying he wanted to make sure that he did nothing to jeopardize it. He would not comment on the account by attorney John Burris of Oakland that he had taken a polygraph test Wednesday after initially refusing.

Burris said he was consulting with the couple and had urged them to cooperate with authorities.

"I suggested to them, they need to be candid and truthful with the police," Burris said. "The police should look at them; they need to rule him and her out."

He added, "I don't see anything that suggests anything negative about these individuals."

He said the boy wears arch-support braces because of his cerebral palsy, not full leg braces, and that the public may have the idea that he needed the braces to get around. "They are to reshape his foot, give him an arch," Ross said. "He doesn't need them to walk."

After he reported Hasanni missing, Ross said, police seemed to blame the family first. Authorities removed Hasanni's 1-year-old sister and put her in another foster home, he said.

"We were very upset," he said. "We were dealing with a loss of a child, and the other child was taken from us.

"All of a sudden, it was like we were thrown against the wall," Ross said. "We had to prove we were not responsible, but our son is out there missing."

Article:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/13/BAEP198360.DTL

Another thing that Ross said in the lengthy interview was something about walking in the store with kids in tow "in the middle of the work day" and disrupting customers. Would 4:15 be considered "the middle of the work day"? Seems like it would be close to the end for most shoe stores.
He also said, re Hassani's clothing,etc : "so people will know what we are looking for" --seemed very objective to say "what"--more the thing you'd say if they were looking for a body, and sort of cold to say about your own child. Did he slip up?
Maybe I'm just being picky here.

Three men living in different homes on Roxie Terrace in Fremont — the same street where Ross and Campbell live — said they don't recall ever seeing the boy.

"I've never seen him," said Pavan Muppidi, a father of young children who has lived on the street for seven years. [/COLOR]

omg.... that doesnt' sound good to me and def makes his family look bad.

Snipped

I wonder if these people normally see Hassani every day. If so, it doesn't look good on Foster Mom either.

~Thanks, Angel, for all of the updates...in all of the threads. :blowkiss:

ITA sarahhod....I watched a video not sure which one, but a few days before he was reported missing a neighbor said that Hassani went missing & was found at the park that they searched. He was found that day not long after they realized he was not around. So WHY couldn't he walk into the store with the foster dad at the same time???? It dosen't add up at all his explaination of he did this tomnot disrupt the store with kids. If any customers were in the store, how are they to know if he is a customer just like they are. So who would care if they all walked in together!!!

Wow!! Thanks for that info Angel, I haven't seen that video, so he sure does "wander off" then. No reason to leave him in the car at all. IMO

Wow--I was just wondering what a sweet little kid like this could do that would require his parents to punish him and I think you just answered this question. He does "wander off" !
Contrary to what Ross said in the interview: "Hassani doesn't wander off". Thanks, Jesikah1, you are the one who bolded this in your post, saying that it bothered you the way he said it (may not be your exact words). He said that with a lot of concealed anger, I felt. So I am wondering if Hassani got punished severely for doing that?

Yup, ITA Columbo, most 5 year olds have the capacity to "wander off" if not watched constantly. IMO

Another thing that Ross said in the lengthy interview was something about walking in the store with kids in tow "in the middle of the work day" and disrupting customers. Would 4:15 be considered "the middle of the work day"? Seems like it would be close to the end for most shoe stores.
He also said, re Hassani's clothing,etc : "so people will know what we are looking for" --seemed very objective to say "what"--more the thing you'd say if they were looking for a body, and sort of cold to say about your own child. Did he slip up?
Maybe I'm just being picky here.

4.15pm would be considered the end of the day to me LOL.
Not quite sure what to think regarding the clothing..does seem slightly odd though.

I think the last verified sighting of Hassani is the key. No one has seen him. This sweet child could have been deceased for a week FWIW.

Wow!! Thanks for that info Angel, I haven't seen that video, so he sure does "wander off" then. No reason to leave him in the car at all. IMO

Yup, ITA Columbo, most 5 year olds have the capacity to "wander off" if not watched constantly. IMO

4.15pm would be considered the end of the day to me LOL.
Not quite sure what to think regarding the clothing..does seem slightly odd though.

I think the last verified sighting of Hassani is the key. No one has seen him. This sweet child could have been deceased for a week FWIW.

And since Hassani apparently did have the capacity to wander off, all the more reason to either 1) take him with him into the store or 2) lock the car doors with him inside (assuming a child lock would keep him in there). NOT leave him standing in the alleyway by the store!

So, at this point, it looks as though Hassani has been gone for a while and it took some time for the foster parents to remove evidence and come up with a plan to explain his absence. With 2 Suburbans full of articles, I imagine (hope) LE has a good idea what happened.

:furious:

From the last article I posted I know now the brace he wears is the same as my dad wears, due to his foot curling & his arch going out of place from his stroke. It goes 3/4 up to his knees & is plastic shaped under his foot. The rest of it is velcros around to hold in place & all soft material, except for the area around the bottom of his foot.

I hope my description makes any sense to you all. Didn't get much sleep last night...kept thinking about Hassani & all of the other missing little ones not found, or their murders not caught yet. :shakehead:

I'm sure it is the same as another poster explained that their child needed for arch support. It would cause a child to not to be able to run or jump, just from seeing my dad wear his. (Though of course due to his stroke he won't ever be able to that again, but he has proven all the DR's wrong & can walk with assistance of a spotter short distances!!! :clap: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member