Armchair psych profile and personal background

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. True or false: LM was home-schooled until he went to a regular school for third grade at Charlottetown Public School in Scarborough.That sounds like what I read earlier.

2. True or false: LM's mother had him at age 16. Not sure we ever knew!?!?

Responses are BOLDED and COLOURED within the quote.

1. True or false: LM was home-schooled until he went to a regular school for third grade at Charlottetown Public School in Scarborough.

2. True or false: LM's mother had him at age 16.

1. IDK
2. True. Judging from her pictures on myspace I think his mother looks very young and it makes sense...

IMO... it was the medication he should have been taking but wasn't, that made him do it.

Seriously?

Had a busy day @ with yesterday and when reading an undisclosed medication, my mind jumped to something and I avoided this place because I wasn't ready to have that discussion yet... Thankfully, I was wrong and seems we've known about it for a while...

I would love to be educated with anyone's help:
Is there a drug prescribed for a diagnosis that would prevent a monster who kills from killing?

If there is such a drug, why wouldn't those prescribed it be required to be institutionalized or at least turn up each day to a location to be witnessed taking said medication?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II

Over the last several days, I get the sense many are angry at possiblity of insanity def. We all gotta remember that even if they did that (doubtful if they did not go for Psyc Eval yesterday). he will never be on the streets again. My vote - lawyer said '"You posted it on line - lets not even get into insanity - you will never be free".
Case just too big - on tape - he will never be free!

Link below:
Forensic expert :
In fact, very few defendants actually succeed with the insanity defense. (It is raised in approximately about 1 percent of felony cases and is successful only about one-quarter of the time.) Among those who are found not guilty by reason of insanity, virtually none are "let off" -- in the sense that they remain free.

People are "let off" in the sense that they escape being formally condemned as "responsible" for their acts, but that is small comfort, I suspect, to a defendant in his 10th or 15th year at St. Elizabeths Hospital.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/longterm/aron/expert1123.htm
Lawyers are crafty. Perhaps he told Luka that the only way he may get off is in the future due to insufficient councel for not persuing an insanity defense? I doubt it but I like f-ing w/you guys. :p

Wait, who is Justin Ling?

Local Montreal journalist whose articles have been consistently accurate and factual from day one. He's made a Herculean effort to track down local friends/acquaintances of Magnotta which has been a huge challenge as real world friends/acquaintances in the last two years don't seem to exist.

Like those kids that attended the first hearing? 12-13 year olds? The thought of these kids attending the trial scares the bejesus out of me. One kid stated he was there because he wanted to become a defence attorney and wanted to see what defence tactic would be used at trial. The kid is 13 and in Junior High School. Maybe these are the same kids who were shown the video in their classroom.:what:

I find it very disturbing that these kids are attending the hearings and possibly the trial. Hopefully, the Judge imposes restrictions on age.

Where are the parents ? Would anyone allow their kid to attend this trial? I wouldn't.

This is a few pages back now, but I'm just catching up. Yes, like those kids. I will say, though, that I saw the interview with the 13 yo who wants to be a lawyer and he seemed extremely precocious. I think he is there for the right reasons and will learn something. However, I would still worry that the subject matter is way too much for his tender age.

Would you happen to have a link? Morphine is used to dull pain, dull the senses, it's not really a 'fun drug'.

fwiw, I remember reading that, too. It was early on and, at the time, I had the impression that his on-line drug discussions, including for the drug id'd during the hearing yesterday, were for the killing and not for himself. jmo

eta: nevah mind...see it's been linked :)

I'm thinking he really didn't think things through at all. He got the idea in his head, shopped it around for reactions, and did it. I think he likely has impulse control issues so that once the idea was firmly planted in his mind, he couldn't step back from the implimentation of the crime. This would fit into him having an antisocial/narssisistic personality. Not sure if he is even capable of remorse as we understand it.

I agree with you on this.
Do you remember the article where a family member of his said he creates these situations, then tries to take himself back out of the equation after, denying he was involved... Is this why he is pleading not guilty, he's trying to do the same thing with the murder case pretty much!

fwiw, I remember reading that, too. It was early on and, at the time, I had the impression that his on-line drug discussions, including for the drug id'd during the hearing yesterday, were for the killing and not for himself. jmo

While I haven't heard of morphine as a party drug in a mainstream sense, I do understand that some people that were prescribed morphine for pain can become dependent on it and may use it recreationally combined with alcohol or other substances. Did Magnotta have a known history of morphine use?

IMO the two drugs that Magnotta might have the easiest time obtaining and produced the desired effects on the innocent victim are: ketamine and ghb. It wouldn't have been difficult to spike the victims drink and take effect within minutes.

Is this a response to posts about having some empathy for the killer? I myself have never (to my knowledge) dated a killer, though I have tended to date guys with similar scars from their childhood--abandonment issues, addiction, abuse and I used that experience to try to understand Luka. I don't think it's fair to equate empaths with those women who fall for criminals or visit jails, nor as someone who's okay with heinous crime. I've never been okay with violent crimes and have been the first to call the cops when a neighbor was beating their kids or wife and so forth. If anything, as I get older I get better at finding people who are into peace, love, and good will. It's one thing to be hypersensitive, and another to be willing to set aside morals for the sake of romance.

Also, I am not attracted to someone like Luka. I prefer brilliant, educated, kind men--which I will say, my current partner very much has all of these three attributes. His worst issues are liking the leaf a little much and being too obsessed with world news so that he becomes depressed over issues like global warming. And he even comes from a chaotic childhood but somehow he emerged compassionate and wonderful!

I personally find those "fans" of LM or convicted killer twisted. I can't identify what overall healthy person would want to cultivate a relationship with someone whose significantly compromised in their empathy/compassion and highly dishonest, manipulative as to not only mask their true vaccuous self, but to also maximize what they exploit from the person in pursuit of him/her. Whether its a narcissist, a sociopath or a psychopath...they are all parasitic and exploitive personalities. Interesting the pattern of persons getting involved with prisoners is highly weighted with the majority being women pursuing males in prison. I've cut and pasted below a few theorist as to what draws women to violent offenders in prison. It does give some plausible theories:

Psychologist Elaine Aron, author of "The Highly Sensitive Person in Love," agrees with her husband's assertion that some people may actually seek out relationships with prisoners because it fits their personality type. One such personality type may be the "highly sensitive person," about 15 percent of the population, according to Aron.

An HSP is someone who is particularly empathic and often struggles with overstimulation in daily life and intimate attachments. "Their issues could dovetail quite neatly with an inmate. … They would feel particularly compassionate or sympathetic to an inmate, and at the same time feel comfortable with a relationship that comes with predictability and defined boundaries," she said.

Psychologists and researchers say individuals with a history of abuse or low self-esteem may be more likely to fall in love with a person who has committed a violent crime. Should they enter a correspondence with an inmate, they could be particularly vulnerable. "Many people in jail are sociopaths and they're very good at manipulating people," said Aron.

Sheila Isenberg said the women she interviewed for her book "Women Who Love Men Who Kill" had all experienced some sort of abuse in their past, either in their family or with a past spouse or boyfriend. "Some of these women may actually feel safer in these relationships," she said. "When their partner is incarcerated, he can't hit her or be abusive."

Grant said that may explain some of the relationships with the inmates at Joseph Harp as well. "He's not going to beat you. He's not going to be sexually abusive. He's going to be nurturing to you, and you don't need to worry a whole lot about him running around on you," Grant said.

Both: I think that most likely he regrets it at times and yet would do it again.

What are people's thoughts on this...
Do you think LM regrets what he has done?
Do you think if he could go back, he would do it all again?

Recently there was an interview posted on here about the Canadian version of what Americans term interrogation. Supposedly Canadians are less aggressive about it typically. They try to understand the psychology of a person and approach them more masterfully. Luka will be questioned about the head and many other things, and they will be paying close attention to his psychological state for some time in prison or wherever he is held.

RE :But his pride about always being misunderstood will keep him from wanting to share that with anyone.

I am not sure if his new "audience" (!) is gonna want to listen to him much! IMO he will be isolated in jail, in terms of socially within the facility, another loss and something for which ,again, he has lost CONTROL over!

I've thought about this too! OK my train of thought is based in a theory that Luka is a true narcissist. Remember that most narcissists think they are above the law, entitled of special treatment, so maybe he thought he wouldn't be arrested so soon, after all he was never punished for the animal cruelty. What do you think?

Also LM posted in some forum (board.freeones as marilynmonroe4) that he had sexual fantasies about being in prison :jail: and get gang raped by other inmates, so who knows what goes on in his mind, lol, maybe he thinks it's better to be in prison and get fan letters than to turn tricks in the street in order to buy food and pay the rent. OR perhaps he expected to be considered legally insane and be sent to some psychiatric institution where he would have access to make-up and internet after a couple of years. OR he expected he would get a short sentence like Karla Homolka, his idol.

I agree with you that he thought he could get away with it like he did with the animal cruelty.
As Jeanne said in one of her posts, I think his mind set will be alien to us, but he strikes me as a person who would want to live a glamorous life if anything, which is not going to happen in a prison or psychiatric institution...
although we have no evidence he ever did lead a glamorous life, maybe he gave up on that idea? lol

:twocents:

1. True or false: LM was home-schooled until he went to a regular school for third grade at Charlottetown Public School in Scarborough.

2. True or false: LM's mother had him at age 16.

I believe it's true for both.

Something just popped into my mind, when reading about the home-schooling.
On one of LM's rants on a forum, he had mentioned that his mother had kept him in diapers until he was 7 (whether true or not, who knows). A child is generally 8 years old in Grade Three.
There are many reasons a child could be incontinent--including child abuse, neglect, autism, Aspergers Syndrome.

Just throwing some thoughts out there...

Local Montreal journalist whose articles have been consistently accurate and factual from day one. He's made a Herculean effort to track down local friends/acquaintances of Magnotta which has been a huge challenge as real world friends/acquaintances in the last two years don't seem to exist.

Just FYI, you may already know this, but I know that Justin is aware of the trainer because I gave him the link a LONG time ago at his request.

In my prior posting about women who pursue prisoners I provided some theorists views on some of the possible personality/environmental pieces that may contribute to these situations. IMO the point the article is trying to get across is that these women are often highly empathic/compassionate...BUT they are damaged in other ways (intimacy issues, histories of abuse, etc.). Another way of looking at this is having damaged and poorly defined boundaries, a common result of abuse. I could see where a prisoner could offer a degree of consistent communication (intimacy) but eliminate the anxiety of not having too much closeness or fear of physical harm (as perhaps experienced in prior abusive situations). I also believe that the cultural overlay of women being honed as "caregivers" can be contributory if that theme was overplayed to the woman as she grew up. All too often religion or sexist historical role definitions placed women in a "give more" and don't ask for as much back situations. This too can lead to problematic boundaries and certainly exacerbate the damaged boundaries if abuse is part of the women's history. Thus, the physical boundaries that a prisoner lives with may allow some of these women a less threatening circumstance in terms of holding on to more of themselves ...in comparison of having a live-in partner/husband relationship.

While I haven't heard of morphine as a party drug in a mainstream sense, I do understand that some people that were prescribed morphine for pain can become dependent on it and may use it recreationally combined with alcohol or other substances. Did Magnotta have a known history of morphine use?IMO the two drugs that Magnotta might have the easiest time obtaining and produced the desired effects on the innocent victim are: ketamine and ghb. It wouldn't have been difficult to spike the victims drink and take effect within minutes.

Haven't heard of it anywhere. But I can imagine it might have had its uses in that lifestyle :/

This is important for people to pay attention to--women being honed as caregivers for further disempowerment--but I fear I will go off-topic if I discuss it too much here on the board. Does Luka indeed have female fans of the sort that would visit him in prison? Do we even know yet?

In my prior posting about women who pursue prisoners I provided some theorists views on some of the possible personality/environmental pieces that may contribute to these situations. IMO the point the article is trying to get across is that these women are often highly empathic/compassionate...BUT they are damaged in other ways (intimacy issues, histories of abuse, etc.). Another way of looking at this is having damaged and poorly defined boundaries, a common result of abuse. I could see where a prisoner could offer a degree of consistent communication (intimacy) but eliminate the anxiety of not having too much closeness or fear of physical harm (as perhaps experienced in prior abusive situations). I also believe that the cultural overlay of women being honed as "caregivers" can be contributory if that theme was overplayed to the woman as she grew up. All too often religion or sexist historical role definitions placed women in a "give more" and don't ask for as much back situations. This too can lead to problematic boundaries and certainly exacerbate the damaged boundaries if abuse is part of the women's history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23