AZ - Isabel Mercedes Celis, 6, Tucson, 20 April 2012 - #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure that's not true. Technology is definitely advanced enough today for LE to find out where someone is posting from. Maybe the LE in your son's college town were not that interested in putting in the resources/money to find the perps? But it's possible for LE to track down anyone who posts online. Also, what tip could someone have where LE cannot know their identity but would solve the case? Is the kidnapper going to post where Isabel is on FB?
It's true.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_University_of_Pittsburgh_Bomb_Threats
The bomb threats shut down sizable portions of the large university for many weeks. The university employees a sizable percentage of the city (money rules). If the police could have busted the creeps, they would have. LE, including the FBI, admitted that they were helpless to find creeps using multiple international proxies. LE finally cut the creeps a "deal" to get them to stop.

Yep. LE can track down a user on Facebook. Just occurred in the Young trial when someone posted using a fake name/account that they got info from a juror during deliberations. LE tracked the person down. It was a hoax.

Facebook is not the appropriate place for crime tips. There are other avenues available.

It's true.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_University_of_Pittsburgh_Bomb_Threats
The bomb threats shut down sizable portions of the large university for many weeks. The university employees a sizable percentage of the city (money rules). If the police could have busted the creeps, they would have. LE, including the FBI, admitted that they were helpless to find creeps using multiple international proxies. LE finally cut the creeps a "deal" to get them to stop.

They were using proxies though? What does that specifically have to do with FB? You can probably use a proxy to submit a tip online to LE. Or else I am confused about what you are claiming.

If you contact police or a tip line, the police can find you. LE has never identified all the creeps that emailed bomb threats to a local univ. where I paid huge $$ last semester for my youngest son to attend cancelled classes.....argh!!!!. I won't post info on how these creeps successfully did this, but posting tips to FB in this manner makes it impossible for LE to track them.

People could lie all they wanted about my husband and me, but we are decent people and the truth would eventually be revealed. The same would occur for the Celis family if they have nothing sinister to hide. If Sergio and Rebecca have nothing to hide, they should let people post on Isabel's FB pages. Someone might provide a single useful tip they wouldn't call in to LE.

I am lost. Why would they want to remain anonymous or wouldnt call the LE tipline if they truly knew something worthwhile but yet would put it out on FB? From what I have gathered about tip lines is the person calling in is given a number and doesnt have to tell them their names. In our town if the tip leads to an arrest then LE never knows who the tipster was unless the tipster wants them to know and they are only identified by number and they present that number at a particular bank in order to get the reward.

I really dont see Isa's FB page as in different than other cases I have kept up with on FB, Pen. The moderator of these kind of pages always deletes the worthless disrespectful postings on there no matter who the victim is. I have seen them do it countless times during Sierra's case alone and other cases as well.

Some of the postings I have seen over there was nothing more than speculation just like we do here. In fact I have wondered if some on MBs post over there too.:)

<modsnip>

IMO

Yep. LE can track down a user on Facebook. Just occurred in the Young trial when someone posted using a fake name/account that they got info from a juror during deliberations. LE tracked the person down. It was a hoax.

Facebook is not the appropriate place for crime tips. There are other avenues available.
Google proxy servers routing through international sites.

I am lost. Why would they want to remain anonymous or wouldnt call the LE tipline if they truly knew something worthwhile but yet would put it out on FB? From what I have gathered about tip lines is the person calling in is given a number and doesnt have to tell them their names. In our town if the tip leads to an arrest then LE never knows who the tipster was unless the tipster wants them to know and they are only identified by number and they present that number at a particular bank in order to get the reward.

I really dont see Isa's FB page as in different than other cases I have kept up with on FB, Pen. The moderator of these kind of pages always deletes the worthless disrespectful postings on there no matter who the victim is. I have seen them do it countless times during Sierra's case alone and other cases as well.

Some of the postings I have seen over there was nothing more than speculation just like we do here. In fact I have wondered if some on MBs post over there too.:)

<modsnip>

IMO
bbm
Perhaps someone involved in crime doesn't want LE finding them or asking them more questions. Perhaps someone might believe one of Celis parents has an 'in' with LE and this person is afraid their identify will be shared with the Celis family.

What is the chance that someone has an essential tip, does not want their identity known, and knows how to use a proxy server?

bbm
Perhaps someone involved in crime doesn't want LE finding them or asking them more questions. Perhaps someone might believe one of Celis parents has an 'in' with LE and this person is afraid their identify will be shared with the Celis family.

I think what OBE is saying that you can remain anonymous calling a tip line, but if you post something on FB, you cannot remain anonymous.

You don't have to use a proxy server through facebook to find a way to get an anonymous tip to police. Of course someone can use a proxy server to do many anonymous things through the Internet, be they legal or illegal. But leaving a tip that might help solve a case on Facebook is ridiculous, IMHO. A tip or info is for LE to follow up, not for other FB members to gossip about, and that's what would happen with a posting on FB. Plus, the tip might not even be taken seriously.

Somehow criminal cases managed to get solved and tips managed to be received long before Mark Zuckerberg was even born, let alone create Facebook.

Snipped by me, BBM
People could lie all they wanted about my husband and me, but we are decent people and the truth would eventually be revealed. The same would occur for the Celis family if they have nothing sinister to hide. If Sergio and Rebecca have nothing to hide, they should let people post on Isabel's FB pages. Someone might provide a single useful tip they wouldn't call in to LE.

They may have nothing to hide, but they do have two little boys to protect.

As per Isa's posters: http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/link/555906/pdf-isabel-celis-missing-poster
call 88-CRIME

That goes to Crime Stoppers. It's NOT traceable.

http://88crime.org/howitworks.aspx

The Phone Call

Calls are received at the 88-CRIME Crime Stoppers tip phone line. This phone is a stand alone instrument which does not provide caller ID, and conversations are never recorded. The 88-CRIME Crime Stoppers Coordinator receiving the information completes the tip information form, makes initial inquiries and then passes the information to the investigating law enforcement agency. The type of calls accepted are any that are featured on news broadcasts, newpapers or any other public outlet, such as "Crime of the Week" or of information on any other felony crime(s) the caller has knowledge of.

By guaranteeing a tipster's anonymity, 88-CRIME Crime Stoppers allows the tipster to give information in a positive atmosphere without the prospect of retribution. By offering cash rewards for information leading to indictment or arrests, the program encourages otherwise reluctant tipsters to provide information.

Keep reading the above: http://88crime.org/howitworks.aspx

NO ONE can track the online user/phone call, etc.

Please read all about 88-CRIME. TIA.

pensfan, here is a free proxy server:

http://hidemya**.com/ ... I'm sure you can fill in the **

The point being, if a site will let you login or post using a proxyserver, you can do it for any site. You can also get anonymous email quite easy. You can also cover up our phone number or call from a pay phone, or send snail mail making sure you wear latex gloves and don't lick the stamp. So why is FB all that important to allow people to post whatever they want (trying to circle back to the original argument you posed)?

You don't have to use a proxy server through facebook to find a way to get an anonymous tip to police. Of course someone can use a proxy server to do many anonymous things through the Internet, be they legal or illegal. But leaving a tip that might help solve a case on Facebook is ridiculous, IMHO. A tip or info is for LE to follow up, not for other FB members to gossip about, and that's what would happen with a posting on FB. Plus, the tip might not even be taken seriously.

Somehow criminal cases managed to get solved and tips managed to be received long before Mark Zuckerberg was even born, let alone create Facebook.

Maybe people/tipsters do not want to end up in the doc. dump exposed to the world?

pensfan, here is a free proxy server:

http://hidemya**.com/ ... I'm sure you can fill in the **

The point being, if a site will let you login or post using a proxyserver, you can do it for any site. You can also get anonymous email quite easy. You can also cover up our phone number or call from a pay phone, or send snail mail making sure you wear latex gloves and don't lick the stamp. So why is FB all that important to allow people to post whatever they want (trying to circle back to the original argument you posed)?

Most cases have this (Isa's case in particular): https://www.tipsubmit.com/WebTips.aspx?AgencyID=259

It's anonymous and always has been. I'm freaking out a little by the misinformation being put here about tracing folks online/phone calls for providing tips. NOT the case and not true. :moo:

Maybe people/tipsters do not want to end up in the doc. dump exposed to the world?

Did you see the crimestoppers info generously posted above by Ransom?

Someone doesn't have to give their name to get a tip to LE. They don't even have to go on the Internet! Facebook is not a good solution to solicit tips for LE. It just isn't. Facebook is not set up for that purpose and there's no guarantee that leaving a tip on someone's facebook page will even get to someone in LE (or even be taken seriously).

The Celis family opening up their Facebook page so anyone or their bro-in-law or their <Mod Snip> 14 yr old can leave messages of any sort, in any tone, for any purpose, or even just to harass, is not useful. I don't blame them for the Facebook page control.

Most cases have this (Isa's case in particular): https://www.tipsubmit.com/WebTips.aspx?AgencyID=259

It's anonymous and always has been. I'm freaking out a little by the misinformation being put here about tracing folks online/phone calls for providing tips. NOT the case and not true. :moo:

Yes... I don't think it's difficult to submit an anonymous tip. Thanks for your links.

I think Penn posted out of frustration..
Thanks for keeping Isa on the front page...

It troubles me that the Facebook pages providing information about Isa limit their comments to only positive ones about the family. Maybe there are people that know important information, but they won't share it without anonymity (sharing info from a fake Facebook page)? The Celis' friends' attempts to protect Rebecca and Sergio by limiting comments and distorting information like "the window screen was compromised" (instead of just stating that someone took the screen off and dented it from the inside) may have delayed or prevented justice for Isabel, IMO. :(

While it certainly may be troubling it is not however AT ALL UNUSUAL AND ISA'S PAGE IS BY FAR NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT CHOOSES THIS ROUTE.. MUCH different is that especially in the last year I have seen the majority of cases that have a closely monitored Facebook page ..THEY DO NOT ALLOW RUMORS.. SPECULATION.. AND THEORIES.. at all and are immediately deleted and they do not hesitate to ban folks who attempt to do so repeatedly.. i, too in some cases found it to be frustrating. That this was not allowed but have become keenly aware that this appears to be the way many cases and families/friends are choosing to run such pages and understand the out of control atmosphere that could quickly arise in their allowing such..

So in that respect Isa's page is run no different than many other missing cases pages.. jmo

Eta: and just as an aside the majority of those cases have zero family involvement in the missing family member.. just saying this is not something that IMO indicates anything.

Did you see the crimestoppers info generously posted above by Ransom?

Someone doesn't have to give their name to get a tip to LE. They don't even have to go on the Internet! Facebook is not a good solution to solicit tips for LE. It just isn't. Facebook is not set up for that purpose and there's no guarantee that leaving a tip on someone's facebook page will even get to someone in LE (or even be taken seriously).

The Celis family opening up their Facebook page so anyone or their bro-in-law or their bratty 14 yr old can leave messages of any sort, in any tone, for any purpose, or even just to harass, is not useful. I don't blame them for the Facebook page control.

ITA... However, LE or the Media ??? released private info on the tipsters IIRC via the doc. dump, intimidating imo and not proactive in generating leads. jmo imo and moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj