MTR Discussions

Upgrade the charges? They're already charged with first degree murder. :)

Oops! I didn't necessarily mean upgrade. Upgrade, downgrade, change. I wondered if they were going to release info from the autopsy if they would wait until Rodney was finished his ride.

Ah! I wonder if any info at all will be released before the trial. Tara is trying to have a 'publishing ban' put in place, so that no info can be reported even during the trial. I don't know if she'll get away with it or not, but it has been used before.

Ah! I wonder if any info at all will be released before the trial. Tara is trying to have a 'publishing ban' put in place, so that no info can be reported even during the trial. I don't know if she'll get away with it or not, but it has been used before.

TM asking for a publication ban is a fairly selfish request to have at this point - I strongly feel that parents should be made fully aware of exactly how this whole tradegy went down so that we can be vigilant and guard against this happening to our own children!

I don't recall a full publication ban (perhaps there was a partial ban) for the PB/KH trials and if those families were unable to do (remember one of the mother's actually locked her daughter out of the house the night she was taken) I highly doubt TM will be able to get a ban in place - and in case she is not aware of it, most publication bans are put in place in order to ensure that the accused has their right to a fair trial realized - not to keep the public from knowing the truth about TM's stories and lies - which I believe is what she really does not want the public to know!

JMSO's here - Just My Sarcastic Opinion!

I think there will be a publication ban and so does my reporter friend - at least for the first trial, but I doubt that TM will have any say about it. Since TLM and MTR will be tried separately, any info reported in the first trial is bound to have an effect on the second. So, maybe they will lift the ban for the second trial. If TLM pleads guilty and there is no trial for her, it may be different.

Remember that a publication ban is only in effect during the trial. Once a verdict is reached and sentencing is done, the media is free to publish what they learned during the trial. I'm also of the opinion that there will be at least one book written about this case.

MOO

I think there will be a publication ban and so does my reporter friend - at least for the first trial, but I doubt that TM will have any say about it. Since TLM and MTR will be tried separately, any info reported in the first trial is bound to have an effect on the second. So, maybe they will lift the ban for the second trial. If TLM pleads guilty and there is no trial for her, it may be different.

Remember that a publication ban is only in effect during the trial. Once a verdict is reached and sentencing is done, the media is free to publish what they learned during the trial. I'm also of the opinion that there will be at least one book written about this case.

MOO

AG - that is what I meant (BBM) - the ban will be in place to protect the trial (not the victims) and many people are of the believe that the information will never come out but it does eventually - just like how some young offenders believe that their youth charges are wiped from their records once they turn 18.

During the PB/KH trial, there were certain aspects that weren't allowed to be published, but the U.S. papers always published those details, including Jane Doe's real name.

During the PB/KH trial, there were certain aspects that weren't allowed to be published, but the U.S. papers always published those details, including Jane Doe's real name.

Yes, what will be allowed to be published in the media will be at the judge's discretion. This will not apply to foreign publications, but somehow I doubt this case will get that much attention outside Canada. The other tricky part is the internet where individual bloggers might leak information. I'm not sure about the current laws regarding this, but here is an interesting article about publication bans. Unfortunately, it's six years old and probably out of date now.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/publicationbans/

Yes, what will be allowed to be published in the media will be at the judge's discretion. This will not apply to foreign publications, but somehow I doubt this case will get that much attention outside Canada. The other tricky part is the internet where individual bloggers might leak information. I'm not sure about the current laws regarding this, but here is an interesting article about publication bans. Unfortunately, it's six years old and probably out of date now.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/publicationbans/

I believe one of our members is in the middle of her sons case, or maybe just ended. She stated that she wouldn't be able to comment on the case due to the publication ban.

Posted this on the general discussion board, thought I'd post it here also:

http://www.680news.com/news/headline...25_114832_6040

Accused in Tori Stafford case makes court appearance
The Canadian Press Woodstock, Ont. | Friday, September 25th, 2009 11:49 am Woodstock, Ont. - A man accused in the abduction and murder of eight-year-old Victoria Stafford of Woodstock, Ont., has made another court appearance.

Both Michael Rafferty, 28, and co-accused Terri-Lynn McClintic, 19, are charged with first-degree murder and kidnapping.

Tori disappeared from outside her Woodstock school in April and her remains were found on July 19 north of Guelph, Ont.

At Rafferty's brief appearance Friday, a judicial pre-trial meeting was set for October 8.

One of his lawyers, Scott Reid, said that meeting will essentially lay the groundwork for an upcoming preliminary hearing.

Rafferty will then make another video court appearance on October 16.

Finally, things are finally starting to move along, I figured it was going to be just another remand!

Police do make mistakes - see the following link:

http://www.hugesettlements.com/Personal-Injury/3414.html

This is just one case of the many that can be found on the internet.

I found the line that "the DA dropped the charges and released Mr. Fitzsimmons without so much as an apology" interesting.

Just wondering what kind of long term effect this would have on MR's life if he is actually found innocent - probably would lead the rest of his life under a cloud of suspicion just like JG.

Police do make mistakes - see the following link:

http://www.hugesettlements.com/Personal-Injury/3414.html

This is just one case of the many that can be found on the internet.

I found the line that "the DA dropped the charges and released Mr. Fitzsimmons without so much as an apology" interesting.

Just wondering what kind of long term effect this would have on MR's life if he is actually found innocent - probably would lead the rest of his life under a cloud of suspicion just like JG.

Sometimes the police get it stuck in their head that the person they have charged is actually guilty and then try to make the evidence fit. I just finished reading a true crime story, where there was absolutely no physical evidence of the two that were charged with murder were actually at the scene, yet both boys received life. I could see it having a long term effect on MR, if in fact he is innocent (and I'm not saying he is, because I haven't seen/heard the evidence against him). I also agree Nonfiction - that once you've been charged, even if you are found innocent, there will always be people out there that will wonder, and no doubt it affects the rest of your life, job, friends, etc.

I'm hoping that they shed some light to the public after the pre-trial meeting on the 8th of October.

(Respectfully snipped)

This is what his good friend, Wendell, posted back in May about this. I have never forgotten it.

"if he is not guilty, he very well may not be the type of person to mentally come back from this... it could kill him either way."

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3798457&postcount=264"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Canada-Victoria Stafford, 8, Woodstock, Ontario; thread #16[/ame]

(Respectfully snipped)

This is what his good friend, Wendell, posted back in May about this. I have never forgotten it.

"if he is not guilty, he very well may not be the type of person to mentally come back from this... it could kill him either way."

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Canada-Victoria Stafford, 8, Woodstock, Ontario; thread #16

It's likely best forgotten, because when the details come out about Tori's murder nobody is going to be feeling sympathy for anyone but the victims.

:furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

Has anyone heard the following things about Rafferty?

1. He frequented a Williams Coffee House in London?
2. He has ties to Chatham?
3. His mother's house is now being occupied by her old boyfriend David R.?

Has anyone heard the following things about Rafferty?

1. He frequented a Williams Coffee House in London?
2. He has ties to Chatham?
3. His mother's house is now being occupied by her old boyfriend David R.?

1. he sure gets around
2. no, but will try to get the scoop on this
3. interesting

MR in court tomorrow - I heard that he has been moved to a cozier environment. Maybe this means that he will actually appear in person on Friday.

MR in court tomorrow - I heard that he has been moved to a cozier environment. Maybe this means that he will actually appear in person on Friday.

I wonder if the move had anything to do with the pre-trial meeting that occurred last week. I suspect it will just be another remand, as there can be numerous pre-trial meetings between the crown and defense attorney. It will be interesting to hear what (if anything) is said tomorrow in court.

The man charged with abducting and killing Victoria (Tori) Stafford has been moved to jail in Chatham.

Michael Thomas Rafferty appeared in a Woodstock courtroom today via a video link from the Chatham jail.

Rafferty had been at Elgin-Middlesex Detention Centre in London.

His counsel, Laura Giordano would not provide details yesterday on the reasons for the move. "I can't comment as to why he was moved."

She said it happened recently.

Rafferty's next video appearance is scheduled for Nov. 12.

Stafford disappeared after school on April 8 and a massive public and police search took place for her. Her body was found near Mount Forest on July 19, just days after what would have been her ninth birthday.

Rafferty is charged along with Terri-Lynne McClintic, 18. with first-degree murder and abduction.

Rafferty's lawyer has said the Woodstock man will plead not guilty.

A preliminary hearing is expected to take place next year.
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2009/10/16/11424736.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back