2009.05.19. Casey Anthony Civil Hearing @ 10:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was definitely Cindy flipping the bird...not a wave
I can't tell if that was CA's intent with her hand,but their facial expressions and attitude say it all. Nothing more is necessary.
During the depo ,when GA accused the lawyer of flippin' the bird at him every time he adjusted his glasses,I thought only someone who does that would assume that's what the lawyer was doing.
My husband has a hand injury and can't straighten his index finger on his right hand.He uses his middle finger to point with or push his glasses up,etc.Now our young son does it because that's what he sees every day.Seriously embarrassing at times.

:Welcome-12-june:
Good to have you here, Mosby

Thanks so much Chezhire. I've enjoyed reading your posts; getting quite an education into all things legal. Thanks to all of the other great WSers as well. You guys really rock!

will the punitive damages be against Cindy and George as well as Casey?

Casey has no Cha-ching :) But I'll bet a tim horton's coffee, the Anthony's have some :)

OOH! and does this mean Zenaida will get all of casey's Commisary money!!?? hehe

Actually, if ZFG wins, yes it does mean she will have a portion of ANY money KC receives. Commissary, book and movie deals, etc......

Since KC is an adult (doesn't mean independent) GA and CA will not have any damages assessed against them. If they hope she will get out one day, and will be able to inherit anything from them, they will more than likely give everything to LA instead, protecting the family's assets (pun intended - LOL)

You may be correct that KC will not have to answer anything until after the criminal trial but in that case, she may have to relinquish her counter suit. I see no other way. Even so, I don't think this court will grant a 'gimme' to the defense but will make him work for it, if an abatement is granted at all. I believe this court is a stickler for legal procedure but he is, after all, a judge and does have some discretion. That discretion doesn't seem to lean the way of the defense, based on today's comments from the bench. As a caveat: I have seen a judge so repulsed by a respondent to a civil suit that they bent over backwards to be "fair" so as not to appear to rule based on emotion but in effect doing just that.

Bold by me. I have seen that too - and the SA said that would give less of a chance for appeal (to grant the defense some of their motions, or look past it's lack of preparation or outlandish arguments)

OMG! OMG! OMG!
Watched the video clear to the end and could not believe my eyes.
Go see for yourselves, what I see CA doing and I believe it is aimed at K. Belich, the reporter, and in a court of law, no less.
It is at 31:11-31:12 in the time frame of the video., it goes fast.(I'm so glad her "faith" is helping her through this ordeal)sarcasm and lots of it!
If I could do a screen shot without blowing the margins I would! If someone else could do it I would appreciate it!
http://www.wftv.com/video/19503363/index.html

Nice, Throwing the finger at someone in court. Class act, Cindy.:bang:

Wow, so they are going after Cindy! I wonder if amending the suit has anything to do with LP's depo being rescheduled. I mean I'm sure there are clerks who would do the actual amendment paperwork and file it but I would think LP's depo would be quite a priority about now. What could Morgan have lined up that would trump that depo?:waitasec:

Maybe they will learn even more from LP that can give them ideas for their case. When was it rescheduled to if you know?

Ok so I enjoyed the Judge reprimanding Kasen, but is he getting on anyone else's nerves? Like he is just trying to showcase what he knows? I dunno, maybe its just me, but he is already on my nerves. That said, I do love when he directs it towards the defense! w00t!

IMO

I never have liked this Judge but may be changing my mind about him. His voice doesn't match his face and that bothers me really bad. I know----I know. Other than that----he seems to be very organized and down to business and like to stick 'CLOSE" to procedure. No fooling around with this guy. He doesn't even want the doors clogged with the media after it's over.

I think it's a bit ironic that the A's act like (and pretty much said during the depos) that ZG's lawsuit is the biggest joke and waste of time, yet they get all spiffed up to go to the hearing today. Hmmm

OMG! OMG! OMG!
Watched the video clear to the end and could not believe my eyes.
Go see for yourselves, what I see CA doing and I believe it is aimed at K. Belich, the reporter, and in a court of law, no less.
It is at 31:11-31:12 in the time frame of the video., it goes fast.(I'm so glad her "faith" is helping her through this ordeal)sarcasm and lots of it!
If I could do a screen shot without blowing the margins I would! If someone else could do it I would appreciate it!
http://www.wftv.com/video/19503363/index.html

Um - yeah. I see what you see and I seriously doubt it's random.

Long time lurker and my first post. Hope I'm doing everything right.

Just had thank you so much for expressing my exact feelings about this family. You nailed it so well.

Welcome to the Funhouse!! :crazy:

:waitasec: What? The point is, this ZG's lawyers have suggested that KC obtained this woman's name from that document. Why would KC then change the name, spelling, family details etc from those used on the document? What would be the point of choosing this woman to 'frame' in some way but then changing her name, spelling, and other details?
Because that's exactly what Casey does. She embellishes her lies with details so that she thinks her lies will be more credible, like giving the fictitious J. Hopkins a middle name and a son.
The only reason Casey and crew suddenly are saying "It wasn't that ZF-G" is because they knew the lie was exposed, they wanted to send LE on a wild goose chase, and they knew that by throwing ZF-G under the bus that their actions were wrong and could expose them to this very type of lawsuit! It has merit.
I do however agree with the poster who said that Casey would have rightly assumed that the spelling had a "z" at the end, as Gonzalez is a common Hispanic surname.

Enough already with the "finger", where Cindy's head is, jewelry etc. This is a positive day for Zenaida!

Here's two clips of Kasen & Mitnik talking to the media after today's hearing. Thought it was pretty interesting and hopefully I'm not posting old news. Scroll down a bit in the article and there are two videos, both about 2.5 minutes.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...sey-anthony-civil-case-051909,0,6769805.story

thanks for the link/video

first time i heard someone say...child molester....hmmm....could that be where JB is going with this case???

also....casey's att....said "why would CA lie under oath"......:rolleyes:....doesn't he know that lieing is not a crime....and its ok to make miss-truths/half truths....

Actually, if ZFG wins, yes it does mean she will have a portion of ANY money KC receives. Commissary, book and movie deals, etc......

Since KC is an adult (doesn't mean independent) GA and CA will not have any damages assessed against them. If they hope she will get out one day, and will be able to inherit anything from them, they will more than likely give everything to LA instead, protecting the family's assets (pun intended - LOL)

I believe this to be true unless CA is added to the case, which is what I'm understanding might happen because CA continued to perpetuate the ZFG story to the media after KC was arrested, sooooo this means that ZFG if she wins her suit will have punitive damages assessed by a jury and paid not only from KC but CA as well. That's what I have gotten from todays lesson.

Enough already with the "finger", where Cindy's head is, jewelry etc. This is a positive day for Zenaida!

Guilty. Sorry - the head remark was mine.

You're right - this is a great day for Zenaida!

Nice, Throwing the finger at someone in court. Class act, Cindy.:bang:

Everything you ever needed to know about Cindy can be seen in that one gesture in a Court of Law. Total contempt, arrogance and such conceit. No wonder her daughter loathed her....

Punitive damages are, in general, increases to the base damage award, usually by 2x's or 3x's, etc., (I haven't looked up FL's statute yet so...) Example: damages w/o punitives tacked on is $100,000, but with a statute allowing 2x's, it jumps to $200,000, 3x's to $300,000...you get the point.

Since a negligent action is generally one where there was no malicious intent on the part of the wrongdoer/tortfeasor, most states do not alloow punitive damage awards, as the wrongdoer didn't mean to harm the plaintiff.

However, most states do have statutes in place awarding punitive damages in certain, limited instances, including intentional torts, since the wrongdoer/tortfeasor intended to hurt the victim/plaintiff, and also in the areas of toxic waste (think Clean Air/Water Acts), other inherently dangerous things, etc.

In summation, it's a statutory difference that governs the level/degree of damages that are possible, and in FL, pursuant to FL Section 768.72, which I pulled from ZG's recently filed proffer, p. 4 of 8, here: http://www.forthepeople.com/Zenaida_Proffer_in_Support_of_Punitive_Damages.pdf, punitives are allowable for the intentional tort of libel/slander. The basic idea is to met out more severe punishment to those who intentionally cause harm to others than those who unintentionally cause harm to others.

Like deliberately throwing everyone under the bus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288