GUILTY VA - Lenny Harris, 53, robbed & murdered, Alexandria, 21 Sept 2011

The funeral sounds like it was amazing. Hundreds of people came:

The service celebrated his life. People swayed and sang as images of the activist were beamed onto giant projector screens at the front of the church. Alexandria Mayor William D. Euille drew laughs from the crowd as he joked about the times he and Harris disagreed on political issues. Bishop T. Cedric Brown said Harris had lived a full and productive life before he died, and he challenged those gathered to do the same.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...nny-harris/2012/02/06/gIQAkHpHvQ_story_1.html

Please Lenny, look after sweet Susan and her precious babies..........

Can't find any updates but thinking of Lenny.... look at the packed house at his funeral:

lenny03_1328557321.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...-holy-church/2012/02/06/gIQAbSy7uQ_photo.html

You won't be forgotten Lenny.

I just never have understood the logic of murdering someone to avoid a robbery charge. I hope they all sit there and think every day for the rest of their living days, "Man, that was stupid. We should have let good ol' Lenny live...".

Poor Lenny. Just so tragic.

UPPER MARLBORO, Md. - Lenny Harris might have lived if he hadn't recognized one of the men robbing him, according to one of the three men arrested in his murder.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=134&sid=2764771

Clearly these 3 awaiting trial didn't think to rob someone they didn't know. How they heck does one expect to not be identified by robbing someone they know? grrr

I hope they all three go to prison for life, or maybe get the DP, if VA has the DP.

So much good that Lenny did. I know he will be missed for a long long time. He certainly made an impression on me, and I never had the honor to meet him.

I'm thinking of Lenny today.... Lenny you will not be forgotten. :rose:

Bumping for Lenny.

I'm going to request the mod's move this thread to awaiting trial. Since arrests have been made it should prolly go over to the currently awaiting trial forum.

I continue to keep Lenny's family and friends in my prayers.
Lenny was an amazing man, who inspired many near and far.
I just wish it wasn't this way, I learnt of him and all the wonderful things he did.

:rose:

Justice is coming Lenny!

I've shared this with some of you privately but thought I would share here on this thread too.....

If you read my other posts here you will see that some events took place in my life when Lenny was missing. To make a long story short, a volunteer opportunity popped up on my work e-mail the day they found Lenny regarding mentoring children. I took it as a sign and I volunteered for it that very day and have since met my lovely little girl. I found out her name the day of Lenny's funeral and while I will not state the name specifically for obvious reasons, it is very very close to Lenny's name! I broke down crying when I got her info and read her name!

And she is such a special child. You know, one of those big eyed curious kiddos that you know is going to be something. And IS something. :)

So work will continue in Lenny's spirit. I'm not writing this for any kudos because I am the lucky one here. :)

I took L to the salon yesterday and we had pedicures. She picked rainbow colors and butterfly appliques. I pictured Lenny flying free, without pain or worry, with all the butterflies in the world following his lovely spirit.

Thanks for letting me share.

I was thinking about Lenny the last few days so decided to see if there were any updates in his case. Interesting how that happened within days of the anniversary of his disappearance and tragic murder.

The Alexandria Times reports that Ivan Newman struck a plea deal with prosecutors. In turn, a judge has dropped first-degree murder and kidnapping charges against him in August.

http://www.wtop.com/120/3018470/Suspect-in-death-of-Alexandria-activist-gets-plea-deal

I'm getting a warning alert with the Alexandria Times article via google search so not opening it. Trying to find a different source and trying to do a little catch up on where this case stands.

Are the locals hearing anything?

Anyhoo, it looks like Ivan Newman will be sentenced in January for lesser charges.

From November 2013:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...904aac-5215-11e3-9e2c-e1d01116fd98_story.html

One of three men who helped kidnap, rob and kill a prominent Alexandria activist two years ago was sentenced Wednesday to 35 years in prison after admitting his involvement in the crime.

Under an agreement made with Prince George’s County prosecutors, 21-year-old Ivan Newman had pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the death of Lenwood “Lenny” Harris, who was kidnapped in September 2011. Harris was driven to an abandoned home in Fort Washington, shot in the head and thrown down a well...

A third co-defendant, Linwood Johnson, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and has yet to be sentenced.

Haven't found what Johnson's sentence was.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back