Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I clicked through the you must be a subscriber link to fine this story. (chrome)

I did not need a subscription

WORLD NEWS
Satellite Data Reveals Route of Missing Malaysia Airlines Plane
Jetliner 'Pinged' Satellites With Location, Altitude for Hours After Disappearance

Malaysia Airlines ' missing jet transmitted its location repeatedly to satellites over the course of five hours after it disappeared from radar, people briefed on the matter said, as searchers zeroed in on new target areas hundreds of miles west of the plane's original course.

The satellites also received speed and altitude information about the plane from its intermittent "pings," the people said. The final ping was sent from over water, at what one of these people called a normal cruising altitude. They added that it was unclear why the pings stopped.

The people, who included a military official, the industry official and others, declined to say what specific path the transmissions revealed. But the U.S. planned to move surveillance planes into an area of the Indian Ocean 1,000 miles or more west of the Malay peninsula where the plane took off.

click through the you must be a subscriber message

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304185104579437573396580350?mod=trending_now_1

Unfortunately, the landing strip is only 3900 feet long, unpaved, unmaintained, and most importantly UNLIT so it would be invisible at night.

And of course the main question would be why choose that island to begin with? It is uninhabited, no source for refueling, and no way to communicate with anyone to get assistance off the island. That is, IF the plane were able to land without going off the other end of it. I would love for the outcome of this tragedy to be that everyone was safe, however, sadly it does not seem possible.

:(

MOO

This is OT, but here's one of the airstrips to which I fly often for work -- Pangnirtung, in Nunavut (in the arctic). The airstrip cuts between mountains on one side, and houses on the other (and a fjord parallel to the landing strip, and a glacier at about 4:00 to it). The winds are wicked at this airstrip, and passengers regularly applaud the pilots on a safe landing. Short video -- in the summer, the landscape looks a bit like Geneva in Switzerland.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM8Ig85u_kE"]Tricky Landings 4 - YouTube[/ame]

And of course the main question would be why choose that island to begin with? It is uninhabited, no source for refueling, and no way to communicate with anyone to get assistance off the island. That is, IF the plane were able to land without going off the other end of it. I would love for the outcome of this tragedy to be that everyone was safe, however, sadly it does not seem possible.

:(

MOO

No food, no water.

You get best post of the day. :loveyou:

ETA - except, mine doesn't say 'campaign'...?

OOPs! Challenge not campaign...depends on where you access Tomnod from !

If you replace "challenge" with "api" in the address bar, Tomnod gives you an error message with the coordinates. These match up with the search area and flight plan with a westerly turn.

That's because it's the word challenge not campaign that needs to be changed to api. :)

I wish we could look where we want: it had me way out in the Gulf of Thailand. I want to look in the Indian Ocean... :tantrum:

No food, no water.

Only what was originally on board the plane, but for 239 people and several days, very doubtful.

Prayers tonight, though that progress will be made to find exactly where to search for the black box, debris, and hopefully some answers.

Until tomorrow evening...good night!
:seeya:

Multiple bursts of data were received indicating the plane was flying over the Indian Ocean, the senior U.S. official told CNN.
But there's another confusing twist. An emergency beacon that would have sent data upon impact apparently did not go off, the official said. The beacons, known as Emergency Locator Transmitters, activate automatically upon immersion in fresh or salt water, but must remain on the surface for a distress signal to transmit.

The failure of the beacon to activate could mean that the plane didn't crash, that the transmitter malfunctioned, or that it's underwater somewhere.
Mary Schiavo, former inspector general for the U.S. Department of Transportation, said even though it's unclear how accurate the latest information is, authorities have no choice but to pursue it.

Thanks someone above for posting this....I asked about these beacons before and was swondering why they did not go of if they were in the ocean....but it says above that it wouldn't if they were underwater......so there goes a bit of my hope they are alive and on land as I was hoping that the fact these beacons did not transmit was that they didn't go in the ocean, or crash.....

H2O Comms ‏@H2OComms 39m
All above board - @HishammuddinH2O NST page 2 @MOTMalaysia pic.twitter.com/0acZI5XwSR

H2O Comms ‏@H2OComms 42m
Plane did not fly several hours after last contact- @HishammuddinH2O NST page3 pic.twitter.com/lPJNZlpktG

H2O Comms ‏@H2OComms 50m
We will not give up - @HishammuddinH2O NST front page @1MinDef @MOTMalaysia pic.twitter.com/up8vxXalWh

H2O Comms ‏@H2OComms 55m
We will spare nothing in our search efforts-@HishammuddinH2O NST page3 pic.twitter.com/3sGABtQNn4

H2O Comms ‏@H2OComms 57m
Let's see through this difficult time together- @HishammuddinH2O NST page19 @1MinDef @MOTMalaysia pic.twitter.com/bHkr8Rlbgp

https://twitter.com/H2OComms
H2O Comms
@H2OComms
This account is run by YB DS Hishammuddin's Communication Team. Statements from the Minister are signed - @HishammuddinH2O
Putrajaya · facebook.com/HishammuddinH2O

Unfortunately, the landing strip is only 3900 feet long, unpaved, unmaintained, and most importantly UNLIT so it would be invisible at night.

Considering the flight took off at midnight, I hate to say that I don't think there's a snowball's chance in a deep fryer of landing on that unmanned strip, however good gps is nowadays.

:seeya:

Ok, let's list the theories.

1. Terrorism/hijack
2. Explode midflght
3. Suicidal pilot
4. "Stolen" by secret military op

I just have a spec of hope that MH370 is stranded on an island, and they need to be rescued.

This is going from fiction to non-fiction and back!

Let me try and clear up the cell phone stuff for people. Regular Cell service does not work above around 5,000 ft or lower over land. Out over the ocean it wouldn't work at all because there are no cell towers in that area. This aircraft was not outfitted with an inflight service to make cell phone calls and even if it would have been it could have been disabled by the crew. This aircraft also did not have wifi capabilities and even if it did the companies that offer that service have voice over IP disabled so people cannot use their phones to make calls with apps that allow you to make phone calls. Texting through iMessage is available but like I said this plane didn't have wifi.

The reason for the phones ringing has been cleared up by several news sources.

Now if the plane did land in some strange place I would be almost certain that the passengers and crew would have been incapacitated before they landed or even descended to a lower altitude. Terrorists are not in the business of letting innocent people live!

IDK if this is a dumb question or not, but in terms of claiming responsibility for any hijacking, if it was the group located in China, could China prevent either them from hearing enough about the flight to realize it was their work (doubtful imo) or prevent any claims of responsibility from reaching the media, domestic or international?

Also, if it were a hijack, would they maybe not claim responsibility if it failed to reach its intended destination? Again, IDK if this is a dumb question, but culturally speaking, would they be less inclined to claim responsibility if they they viewed it as a failure (even if it is freaking out the rest of the world)?

No food, no water.

Let's not forget Andes flight disaster- Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571.[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Andes_flight_disaster"]1972 Andes flight disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Remember the 9/11 flights? Many passengers called loved ones, flight attendants called their home offices, ect when the planes were hijacked.

Why have we not heard of any calls coming from this flight if there was a problem?

Those people used Airphones, not cell phones.

Hijackers aren't always out to kill - I highly doubt this is the case but they could have hoped to take hostages for money/attention and crashed, and now no one wants to admit involvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82