IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone were to get a ride in the truck, they would just get in the cab, not in the bed.

I too see how it could look like her, but pretty sure it's just some equipment back there.

I dunno Ven. This person could have played the friendly, helpful type. I'm thinking the person could have seen Lauren walking, circled the block and then said 'Hop in the back, I'll take you home.'

This could be the reason for running the stop light/sign and taking off on the
2nd pass. I wish we knew the location of that truck in the 2nd photo. Does anyone have an idea.

This is just a theory, btw.:twocents:

wm

Just to put it out there...

It would seem "fun" for an intoxicated 20 year old to hop on the back of a truck. I always think it's fun to ride on the back of a truck when someone I know is driving one.

I dunno Ven. This person could have played the friendly, helpful type. I'm thinking the person could have seen Lauren walking, circled the block and then said 'Hop in the back, I'll take you home.'

2nd pass. I wish we knew the location of that truck in the 2nd photo. Does anyone have an idea.

wm

This is what I was thinking too. Someone may have stopped to chat with her, and she didn't sense the danger. They might have even warned her that LE would arrest her for public intox. if they saw her..."here I'll give you a ride"...idk, it could be.

LE said the truck went W on 10th, then went N. on Morton before circling back around and running that stop.

I sure would like to get confirmation of that scream that was heard too. The person who reportedly heard it thought it came from Morton, not College (farther N though). If she were in the truck bed, the truck sped off after telling her they would take her home, then she could have started screaming as they drove up Morton...driver pulls over and takes care of that..and maybe puts her in the cab at that point.

To the locals....

What is traffic like on a regular basis on the streets that this truck was traveling? It was an early morning Friday after being out on Thursday, right? I'm not familiar with the area, so just curious is one was walking on these streets, how many cars they would typically encounter on a block's walk?

Just to put it out there...

It would seem "fun" for an intoxicated 20 year old to hop on the back of a truck. I always think it's fun to ride on the back of a truck when someone I know is driving one.

Yeah, me too...also there may have been other people up front...just more endless questions. :(

Let's also remember that she was supposedly barefoot. So the thought of a ride in the back of a truck as opposed to continued walking and hurting her feet may have seemed alluring.

It could have been a total stranger, or it could have been someone she knew in passing, or friends of friends.

To the locals....

What is traffic like on a regular basis on the streets that this truck was traveling? It was an early morning Friday after being out on Thursday, right? I'm not familiar with the area, so just curious is one was walking on these streets, how many cars they would typically encounter on a block's walk?

I'm not local, but LE said this if it helps. I honestly don't know any city other than Vegas that would have any kind of traffic at that time of day.

"Qualters said. He explained that few cars travel that block at about 4:30 in the morning"
http://idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=81929

To the locals....

Few, but there's some construction in the area according to Captain JQ:

With all the construction in the area, it’s possible the driver may not be from around Bloomington and may not have an indication the BPD has an interest in the truck, Qualters said.

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=81929

wm

It's plausible. If that is an individual in the back, they certainly look like they are comfortable, though, and I don't think west on 10th and Morton was on her way home.

To the locals....

Walnut is one of the main thoroughfares to get from the north side of town to the the south but since I'm usually in bed between 4:00-4:30 a.m. I can only guess that it would be not very travelled. I would say 1-2 cars a minute??? Just my guess though.

I've worked for many different bars. Having people trolling the area after closing time and loitering around the after bar party places is common.
Expecially seasonal tourist or student areas.

Just looking for easy pickings, if so they have probably trolled the area before.

Is there any coffee shops around, thay are usually very conservative with their drinking and drugging even if they are in the bar.
Had to keep a eye on them in the bar because if my client loses their wallet it screws my tips up for evening. Could pick them out because they're very aware of their surroundings, hunting mode.

I'm not local, but LE said this if it helps. I honestly don't know any city other than Vegas that would have any kind of traffic at that time of day.

"Qualters said. He explained that few cars travel that block at about 4:30 in the morning"
http://idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=81929

Come to Sao Paulo. There will be HEAVY traffic at 4am... Specially on Friday and Saturday... since Thursday and Friday people party hard and in Brazil clubs OPEN at 1/2am.

I drive a bullet proof car though... Lol. Drastic cities require drastic measures.

This is what I was thinking too. Someone may have stopped to chat with her, and she didn't sense the danger. They might have even warned her that LE would arrest her for public intox. if they saw her..."here I'll give you a ride"...idk, it could be.

LE said the truck went W on 10th, then went N. on Morton before circling back around and running that stop.

I sure would like to get confirmation of that scream that was heard too. The person who reportedly heard it thought it came from Morton, not College (farther N though). If she were in the truck bed, the truck sped off after telling her they would take her home, then she could have started screaming as they drove up Morton...driver pulls over and takes care of that..and maybe puts her in the cab at that point.

It's not like the truck can go forever without stopping though, she could jump out at any point the vehicle slowed down enough.

If you're gonna abduct someone, I would think allowing them to be free in the back of the truck would be the least effective way to do that.

I guess it would be interesting to know how many other cars these "exact" surv. tapes picked up during this time. I'm guessing not many, if they only released this photo.

I did not go to IU but I lived just off campus at another university, and my apt. was on a road that went right into the university and traveled throughout the town. There was constant traffic during the day and normal night hours, but overnight traffic was sparse or non-existent, maybe that's the same case here.

Is there any coffee shops around, thay are usually very conservative with their drinking and drugging even if they are in the bar.
Had to keep a eye on them in the bar because if my client loses their wallet it screws my tips up for evening. Could pick them out because they're very aware of their surroundings, hunting mode.

There was a coffee place where the search center started (Copper Cup) but it is now closed. The nearest coffee place would be Starbucks which is located at 5th and Indiana, quite a ways from the area in question. There is a Waffle House in this area though (10th and Walnut).

Also, wouldn't 4:14am be a little early, even for constructor workers?

I'd imagine they would wait until at least 5am to leave to the working site...

I've worked for many different bars. Having people trolling the area after closing time and loitering around the after bar party places is common.
Expecially seasonal tourist or student areas.

Just looking for easy pickings, if so they have probably trolled the area before.

Might be a good idea to ask campus females if they've ever been approached by a white truck like this one while walking alone...after a night out?

If LS was crossing 10th St at College when this truck was headed down 10th, and if she were offered a ride, she may have thought he would turn on Morton to take her home, but instead he doesn't stop and turns right then she wouldn't be worried until that turn IMO.

Is Morton One Way?

I know it is too much video to look at, but it would be interesting to know if this vehicle was ever in the area at this time of the morning on other nights after the bars closed. It still seems so unlikely to me that the one (seemingly) vehicle out there is a predator and lo and behold, the one person out there is a young woman all alone. Makes more sense if he had been trolling for a while and got "lucky" this night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson