'Review' your Old Classmates

Snick1946

Reaction score
Sorry I don't have a link here but last week I got an email from some site I signed up for a couple years ago- one of those sites where you can see what your former classmates you went to school are up to. I really don't care that much but I thought it might be interesting, I never posted anything and never really saw anything about anyone I knew.

Fast forward and then last week I got a pitch from them inviting me to come back and visit the site and.. leave 'reviews' of some of my classmates. What I thought of them, whether I liked them etc. They named three of them, one was a guy I purposely avoided any contact with after graduation.

Does this sound slightly dysfunctional to anyone else? Why on earth would anyone want to dredge up all that old muck? Just seems like it's opening the door to a lot of pain all over again for a lot of people. Anyone happen to know this site? I deleted it right away and now cannot go back and look it up. Just curious. Seems there must be a lot of people who still must care what their classmates think about them- after 40 years. Amazing.

Sorry I don't have a link here but last week I got an email from some site I signed up for a couple years ago- one of those sites where you can see what your former classmates you went to school are up to. I really don't care that much but I thought it might be interesting, I never posted anything and never really saw anything about anyone I knew.

Fast forward and then last week I got a pitch from them inviting me to come back and visit the site and.. leave 'reviews' of some of my classmates. What I thought of them, whether I liked them etc. They named three of them, one was a guy I purposely avoided any contact with after graduation.

Does this sound slightly dysfunctional to anyone else? Why on earth would anyone want to dredge up all that old muck? Just seems like it's opening the door to a lot of pain all over again for a lot of people. Anyone happen to know this site? I deleted it right away and now cannot go back and look it up. Just curious. Seems there must be a lot of people who still must care what their classmates think about them- after 40 years. Amazing.

It's classmates.com. I don't care for them

I got something from Mylife.com the other day that said I had received a reputation review. I go on to look and the owner of Mylife.com has given me a 7.5 review and then it asked me to have my friends and family join and review me to make my review higher. This is a load of crap! I'm not sure who thought up this review stuff but to me it's just a way to bully adults. And just to add - I've never signed up for Mylife.com. Sad to hear Classmates.com doing the same thing!

This is what society has come to. We sit at our computers and write 'reviews' not on restaurants or hotels but... on human beings. Then we try to enlist our friends to bolster our rating by rating us up.

I really hope this trend gets killed in the womb before it erupts onto the world but I am not hopeful that will happen.

This is what society has come to. We sit at our computers and write 'reviews' not on restaurants or hotels but... on human beings. Then we try to enlist our friends to bolster our rating by rating us up.

I really hope this trend gets killed in the womb before it erupts onto the world but I am not hopeful that will happen.

I forgot I even opened an account there and now I'm trying to delete it but I'm having trouble getting them to send me a password reset. Slimy.

I forgot I even opened an account there and now I'm trying to delete it but I'm having trouble getting them to send me a password reset. Slimy.

Slimy is exactly the word for it. I have seen some discussion boards and Facebook groups go the way of really ugly slimeballing. Discouraging that some people believe that the internet was built for insulting strangers.

That's appalling. The sad thing is, Classmates has been a useful tool for us in the Unidentified forum, as they are a good source of yearbook photos for previously "no photo available" missing person cases. I had a free account there years ago (around 2000, IIRC) and I imagine they took a hit once social media took off and it became easier to find one's classmates for free, but what a tacky direction to take, trying to attract customers by encouraging them to slam their former classmates.

Sad. They were running a good service but then they took the low route.

Classmates.com is very intrusive with their emails, too. I dislike the ones that say, x amount of people recently looked at your profile, etc. So, I'm sure, if I looked at a profile, that person would be notified. I deleted my account, but agree, it is great for research.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17
Back