Defense Team Still on the Case

Lucky 1

not all those who wander are lost....
Reaction score
This has been discussed in other places, but I am curious to see what our posters think the reason for this is.....

http://www.ktva.com/home/outbound-xml-feeds/The-Talking-Dead----186093971.html

The Talking Dead - Serial Killer Israel Keyes' Defense Team Still on the Case

Story Created: Jan 8, 2013 at 3:43 PM AKDT
Story Updated: Jan 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM AKDT

The Dispatch has moved in U.S. District Court to have all records in the Keyes case unsealed for public inspection.

In response, Keyes' lawyers -- a federal public defender based in Anchorage and a two-person team from a Seattle law firm -- have filed a motion asking for a delay in the release of any information.

Their filing does not explain why they are still engaged in the case, and they did not return phone calls and email seeking clarification of their representation of a dead man.

Frank Russo of the U.S. Attorney's Office in Anchorage said he does not know why Keyes' lawyers are still involved in the case, something the likes of which he said he's never seen before.

Is this still accurate? Are they still fighting for the rights of a dead man? Can anyone explain WHY.....????

This has been discussed in other places, but I am curious to see what our posters think the reason for this is.....

http://www.ktva.com/home/outbound-xml-feeds/The-Talking-Dead----186093971.html

The Talking Dead - Serial Killer Israel Keyes' Defense Team Still on the Case

Story Created: Jan 8, 2013 at 3:43 PM AKDT
Story Updated: Jan 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM AKDT

Is this still accurate? Are they still fighting for the rights of a dead man? Can anyone explain WHY.....????

TY for posting this. So, he has the Public Defender's office, and also two private lawyers from here in Seattle ? Wonder how they are being paid ? And why on earth would the Public Defenders still be working on this ? They are,after all, paid by the tazpayers ? You're right,this is really strange...jmo moo

I will put this in this thread, rather than starting another. Hopefully they are closely related enough....if not, bessie, please move.....

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/courtroom-erupts-defendant-tries-flee-alaska-barista-trial
Courtroom erupts as defendant tries to flee Alaska barista trial
Ben Anderson
May 24, 2012

The prosecution had previously applied for a trial date of March 2013....

Asked by Burgess what the timeline would be for the trial if the government decided to pursue the death penalty -- a possibility in this case, since Keyes is charged in federal court and not Alaska state court -- Russo said the government would have to file that motion 150 days before the trial, or about five months.

The defense, on the other hand, is seeking a trial date about two years out, based on the possible pursuit of the death penalty by the government.

As Jacqueline Walsh, one of Keyes’s three attorneys, began to make her case for why the defense was seeking a trial date as much as two years away, Keyes turned and lunged over the railing into the spectator area of the courtroom and past the four men positioned around him. Seconds later, he was grabbed and taken down into the second row of seats.

He never made a sound, even as he was forced down and continued fighting.

Keyes had managed to break his leg irons, which he described as being made up of steel chain. It wasn't clear how Keyes managed to get out of the irons without attracting the attention of the guards around him.

http://www.adn.com/2012/05/23/2477153/report-keyes-leaps-rail-restrained.html
Marshals use Taser on Keyes after he leaps courtroom rail
Published: May 23, 2012

Keyes wasn't handcuffed during the hearing, which is normal. Somehow, the leg irons that were supposed to restrain him broke -- it's not yet known how that happened, Long said. "We're investigating that right now." The leg irons worked correctly when deputies collected Keyes from the Anchorage jail earlier in the day, the deputy said.

During Wednesday's hearing, assistant U.S. Attorney Frank Russo told the judge prosecutors expected the trial to take a month and they could be ready to go in March 2013. The defense wanted two years to prepare, prosecutors said. Walsh said the defense position was misconstrued, but she didn't have a chance to correct things before the disruption.

http://www.adn.com/2012/05/25/2480132/keyes-returns-to-court-2-days.html

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/25/thump-then-shouts-during-prisoner-escape-attempt/
Thump, then shouts during prisoner escape attempt
Published May 25, 2012
Associated Press

Supervisory deputy Dave Long said the attempted escape is under investigation, but it may never be known how Keyes managed to break his leg irons, which are ankle-cuffs linked by chain.

Long said the chain was pulled off from one of the cuffs. The leg irons were fine when they were put on Keyes hours earlier, according to Long.

"I've been doing this 20 years and have not seen one pulled like this," he said.

OK! Stumbled on this piece of video posted at the FBI timeline:
http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/201...released-in-serial-killer-case/keyes-timeline

http://static.fbi.gov/timeline/keyes-072612a.mp4

Synopsis: July 26, 2012, IK has figured out that in death penalty cases they will want to hear ALL the evidence, and he does not want that under any circumstances.

BBM
"I've said from the beginning there are certain aspects of the things I've done that I don't, I would prefer never became public. Um, and *sigh* from what I've been hearing lately, at something as serious as a death penalty hearing they want to review all the evidence before they make a decision. And so, if it is a public hearing then all that's gonna become public. And that's what, exactly what I didn't want from the beginning. You know, I, um...certain aspects of this that yeah, there's no way around it, but you know, as far as different things that were done with the bodies and the sexual assault stuff, that type of stuff I just don't.....I don't see, you know if that has to be part of the hearing then, I would, *he-he*, we gotta figure out something different."

Not sure if defense is still on the case.

A motion they filed in October 2012 indicates they planned to try to get all his statements to the prosecution suppressed and also complains that defense counsel was blocked while prosecution got full access. Keyes' original attorney was in trial the first 5 weeks of his incarceration. Keyes complains to prosecution frequently that his lawyer is not available. The other 2 attorneys are special for death penalty cases. But they are from Seattle and the motion says there were no travel funds. Obviously, since jail phones are recorded and mail opened, Keyes had no confidential channel to get legal advice.

instead, the prosecution gave him (dodgy, incomplete) legal advice. For example, not telling him that his whole plan for discretion would be blown during the sentencing hearings.

While police can lie to a defendant, I do not believe a prosecutor can. Keyes' civil rights were absolutely violated.

The defense had a good chance, actually, of getting Keyes' statements, all the ones now public, thrown out of court due to prosecutorial misconduct. That might have meant the Currier case would be thrown out or never charged. That's because here was no physical evidence. They never found the bodies. Keyes told them where to find the Curriers' gun. But if his statements were thrown out, the gun might be "fruit of the poisoned tree."

After his death, the defense might be considering filing an ethics complaint against the prosecution. They might also have tried to honor his deepest wishes and fight the way all of his statements have become public. I am not sure if they ever got to see the interviews before the public did, because, with Keyes dead and the case dismissed, the prosecution did not have to provide discovery to the defense.

The legal aspects of this case are riveting, imo.

not sure if defense is still on the case.

A motion they filed in october 2012 indicates they planned to try to get all his statements to the prosecution suppressed and also complains that defense counsel was blocked while prosecution got full access. Keyes' original attorney was in trial the first 5 weeks of his incarceration. Keyes complains to prosecution frequently that his lawyer is not available. The other 2 attorneys are special for death penalty cases. But they are from seattle and the motion says there were no travel funds. Obviously, since jail phones are recorded and mail opened, keyes had no confidential channel to get legal advice.

Instead, the prosecution gave him (dodgy, incomplete) legal advice. For example, not telling him that his whole plan for discretion would be blown during the sentencing hearings.

While police can lie to a defendant, i do not believe a prosecutor can. Keyes' civil rights were absolutely violated.

The defense had a good chance, actually, of getting keyes' statements, all the ones now public, thrown out of court due to prosecutorial misconduct. That might have meant the currier case would be thrown out or never charged. That's because here was no physical evidence. They never found the bodies. Keyes told them where to find the curriers' gun. But if his statements were thrown out, the gun might be "fruit of the poisoned tree."

after his death, the defense might be considering filing an ethics complaint against the prosecution. They might also have tried to honor his deepest wishes and fight the way all of his statements have become public. I am not sure if they ever got to see the interviews before the public did, because, with keyes dead and the case dismissed, the prosecution did not have to provide discovery to the defense.

The legal aspects of this case are riveting, imo.

omg...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back