GUILTY IL - Rita Crundwell for embezzlement, Dixon, 2012

The first article linked (to equine chronicle) said something like ---
Her bond/release terms may affect others in the horse world,
(she cannot sell horses, cannot withdraw funds from bk a/c's, etc.).

If a horse, equipmt, etc. buyer or seller has a buy, sell, deal/trade, etc, pending with her, I see the deal would remain unconsummated, at least for a while, perhaps until after ---
---criminal action is disposed of, and
---her personal BR'y is underway,
---her company/business BR'y is underway.

Are there others on the periphery, besides her bus. E'ees, or vendors, or suppliers, who might be unpaid or 'stiffed'?

What a shame.
I hope the horses are well maintained in the meantime.
Sympathy for the folks left in the lurch by her actions.
Sympathy for Dixon residents, yes.

Sympathy for her :furious:.... fuggetaboutit.

Yeah, I told people at work that night I think that's what woke me up, the sound of so many chins collectively hitting the floor. LOL.

A few years ago people of Dixon tried to raise the $1,000,000 to have the Memorial City pool refurbished to keep it open and sadly were unable to raise the necessary monies. And here she is, reportedly spending over $5,000 a month on jewelery alone. Screw the kids and their pool, Rita needs a new fur coat.

Her horse farm here in Illinois is quite large and I read that the one she has in Wisconsin is the big one, I'd like to get a peek at that one, it must be something else.

How sad for a little city of 16,000. I am amazed that kind of money was even going through that office much less that she was able to steal it right from under the publice nose. Mayor Jim Burke says they're going to hire a new accounting firm. Ya think?

Maybe they need a new Mayor also. Someone was asleep at the wheel.

I really, really hope they freeze ALL assets this crook owns.

I'd hate to see her use taxpayer money (stolen) for her defense lawyers!

No pool for the citizens of Dixon 'cause this beotch has to look well accessorized riding horses brought in from designer trailers.

If free on bail, Rita had better get out of town pronto....I can't even begin to imagine the anger the citizens of Dixon must feel.

I am glad this woman was finally caught. The harm she has caused all of this time, not only in dollars but trust. I am not a CPA but in every job I have had, I had to submit end of month figures and end of year figures to an accounting department. Small and large businesses. Heck, we all have our accounting to do when we get our bank statement. Why does government lack the checks and balances expected of each of us? Heck, Indiana didn't lose money, we found it. A bit late, it wasn't actually lost, we had it, it was in an account and earning interest, we just didn't know we had it. Budgets were made and cut without this money - education alone was cut drastically.

It seems a bit hard to swallow. Despite the tough budgets the state of Indiana has faced since the economic downturn hit the nation in 2008, nobody noticed that tax payments made by corporations by electronic payment were being segregated from other tax revenues deposited into the state's general fund for the past four years. Gov. Mitch Daniels today announced that a Department of Revenue auditor discovered $320 million had accumulated in a collections fund last month.
The $320 million was moved into the General Fund on Dec. 1 and the state's accounting software was corrected to ensure future revenue would be transferred promptly.
Daniels cut education funding last year $300 million in an effort to shore up the state's budget.

http://advanceindiana.blogspot.com/2011/12/320-million-in-state-funds-found.html

She was to be holding a horse sale in July, I wonder whether that will still take place? They are going to have to do something with all of those horses. I know she's got a caboodle of them here and if the farm in Wisconsin is the large one, OMG she must have even more up there.

What a sad day it is when you can't trust the ones entrusted with the city funds.

I say Kudos to the individual who brought this to the attention of the mayor. How much more would she have stolen had that not occurred?

If there's one thing you can depend on in Illinois -- it's that our government or it's officials have some kind of nefarious goings on. People will often ask why our taxes are so high, I can only say it's to fund those ripping us off left and right.

Something needs to be done in our state.

The first article linked (to equine chronicle) said something like ---
Her bond/release terms may affect others in the horse world,
(she cannot sell horses, cannot withdraw funds from bk a/c's, etc.).

If a horse, equipmt, etc. buyer or seller has a buy, sell, deal/trade, etc, pending with her, I see the deal would remain unconsummated, at least for a while, perhaps until after ---
---criminal action is disposed of, and
---her personal BR'y is underway,
---her company/business BR'y is underway.

Are there others on the periphery, besides her bus. E'ees, or vendors, or suppliers, who might be unpaid or 'stiffed'?

What a shame.
I hope the horses are well maintained in the meantime.
Sympathy for the folks left in the lurch by her actions.
Sympathy for Dixon residents, yes.

Sympathy for her :furious:.... fuggetaboutit.

Yeah, once you start really thinking about it, so many people are affected, or victims of her crime(s).

AQHA (American Quarter Horse Association) keeps having to make official statements on the situation, as people who have bred horses to her studs are worried, etc. For example, if they bred a mare to a stud last year and are having the foals born this spring, there are breeder's certificates and registration certificates, etc. that need to be signed. Then there are those who have current breeding contracts with her for this year.

Then, as the example of what I posted above somewhere else, she had multiple trainers in many states, horses spread all over the US...so who will be paying their expenses? Until this gets set up and then starting to be process under the court's management...those trainers and/or people who are boarding her horses at other places, will not be reimbursed for feed, vet, hauling, etc. fees and bills. And trust me, many of those people live month to month...why she was beeboppin' around compliments of the City of Dixon. :banghead:

She had employees at both ranches...I would expect a few may be kept on staff by the FBI/courts to do "basic" management of the horses and properties. But her show horses and studs have greater care than your "normal" horses, at least to keep their value up...which you hope would happen so that the City of Dixon can get as much $$ back as possible.

--------

PS...spoke to someone at the local AQHA show here this weekend, they said behind the $2.1million motorhome was usually a Hummer being towed. Need to see if that gets on the confiscated items list :waitasec:

I bet there are a few auditors out there sweatin' bullets! They better not have any lavish luxuries that exceed their standard of living, that's all I can say.

Those horses better be confiscated and moved somewhere for safe keeping, they're quite a complex asset, and ones that other people's investments are hinged to. I hope the FBI sets up a trustee to manage them and all the paperwork attached to them. Heck, seize her ranch and put a few bureau boys in there to work it. jmo

I find it to be very difficult to comprehend the ability of this woman to remove 5 million dollars from the accounts of a community of 15,700. Since 2006? That's a million a year! Wonder what the annual budget for the town was?

I find it to be very difficult to comprehend the ability of this woman to remove 5 million dollars from the accounts of a community of 15,700. Since 2006? That's a million a year! Wonder what the annual budget for the town was?

AS,

It's worse than that! It's $30 (closer to $33 million) since 2006...that's about $5mil/year! Somewhere I read the city's budget was about $20mil/year, so she was averaging a "take" of about 25%!!! So far the only defense I've seen is that she was claiming it was State of IL tax payments to the City were always delayed...that is (allegedly, I must say) how she supposedly would explain the budget shortages.

:truce:

And, there's the question still out there that she was skimming from the City well before 2006, but that's just how far back they've gone so far. :banghead:

So if the annual budget was around 20 million, could it really be possible that she took 5 million a year that was not noticed? I am just a little skeptical at the figure, and wonder if when all is said and done we might find out the figure was exxagerated somewhat. I am certainly not giving her a pass, and ANY theft is corrupt and cause for prosecution. I have recently witnessed a similar situation unfold at my non-profit, and the thief, who was in a position of much trust, confessed that she kept the game going with 'chaos and confusion'. These folks are very skilled at keeping the balls in the air, and they learn how to distract those that trust them by sleight of hand and deflection. If this lady really wanted to begin trying to undo the damage she has done, she would tutor city governments and non-profits on how she did it, and how to protect against it. But my guess is she will continue the con game and never admit the wrongdoing. Sigh.....

http://www.saukvalley.com/2012/04/2...rse-shows-around-her-city-job/ahnr91u/?page=1

Comptroller worked horse shows around her city job
‘They are used to me being gone, ...’ she said

DIXON – The arrest of fired city Comptroller Rita Crundwell may put her colleagues in the quarter horse industry in a bind.

The American Quarter Horse Association says many members are concerned that her arrest may affect their ability to get documents that require her signature.

So if the annual budget was around 20 million, could it really be possible that she took 5 million a year that was not noticed? I am just a little skeptical at the figure, and wonder if when all is said and done we might find out the figure was exxagerated somewhat. I am certainly not giving her a pass, and ANY theft is corrupt and cause for prosecution. I have recently witnessed a similar situation unfold at my non-profit, and the thief, who was in a position of much trust, confessed that she kept the game going with 'chaos and confusion'. These folks are very skilled at keeping the balls in the air, and they learn how to distract those that trust them by sleight of hand and deflection. If this lady really wanted to begin trying to undo the damage she has done, she would tutor city governments and non-profits on how she did it, and how to protect against it. But my guess is she will continue the con game and never admit the wrongdoing. Sigh.....

I think it's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out...how much she took, and when. Some in the QH industry are still doubting, as well...wondering if she was transferring money back and forth, repaying some, etc....so that ultimately, like you said, a true $30mil wasn't actually gone. I guess we'll see as this progresses. One article has nicknamed her "Madam Madoff," as in she was using the different accounts like a ponzi scheme.

Oh my.

Absolutely stunning that this went on for so long and it took a temporary employee to figure it out immediately. Someone wasn't thinking out of the box me thinks. I imagine she made a convoluted path to follow but just following her home says a lot to anyone! The amount of time she was taking off should have sent out a few red flags an' all. I live in horse country and there are some big spreads (and quite a few trust fund babies out here) but hers would be hard act to beat at anytime.

Interesting article by a local reporter, who went back and reviewed city council meeting minutes. It lays out comments about tight city funds, etc.

There's an ironic comment about Rita's value to the City, LOL.

http://www.saukvalley.com/2012/04/2...s-our-cash-flow-is-very-tight/a56bhsx/?page=1

Column: Council member says 'Our cash flow is very tight'

After the arrest of Dixon Comptroller Rita Crundwell last week, I looked through the minutes of City Council meetings going back to January 2009.

Some passages popped out in light of the accusations that Crundwell “misappropriated” $30 million from city coffers since 2006.

In April 2011, longtime Finance Commissioner Roy Bridgeman thanked many in city government. He was leaving the City Council.

The minutes read, “Lastly, Commissioner Bridgeman stated that City Comptroller Rita Crundwell is a big asset to the city as she looks after every dollar as if it were her own.”
That statement may take on a new meaning if the feds prove their case against Crundwell.

Interesting article by a local reporter, who went back and reviewed city council meeting minutes. It lays out comments about tight city funds, etc.

There's an ironic comment about Rita's value to the City, LOL.

http://www.saukvalley.com/2012/04/2...s-our-cash-flow-is-very-tight/a56bhsx/?page=1

Column: Council member says 'Our cash flow is very tight'

After the arrest of Dixon Comptroller Rita Crundwell last week, I looked through the minutes of City Council meetings going back to January 2009.

Some passages popped out in light of the accusations that Crundwell “misappropriated” $30 million from city coffers since 2006.

In April 2011, longtime Finance Commissioner Roy Bridgeman thanked many in city government. He was leaving the City Council.

The minutes read, “Lastly, Commissioner Bridgeman stated that City Comptroller Rita Crundwell is a big asset to the city as she looks after every dollar as if it were her own.”
That statement may take on a new meaning if the feds prove their case against Crundwell.

The irony of that statement. She was looking after it - it was soon to be her own!

Here's one article questioning the alleged crimes, and whether the US Attorney overstated some of this for his own reasons (claiming he did that in the prosecution of Gov. Blago)

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=doc&p_docid=13E4FD14D2E0A440&p_docnum=3

This we know: There's a lot we don't know

THIS WEEK’S NEWS bombshell – the FBI raid on Dixon City Hall and arrest of comptroller Rita Crundwell – was the talk of the town.

And the state. And the nation.

National news outlets know a good story line when they hear it, and many of them came to town this week to see it.

A lot of information has been reported – by this newspaper, mostly, and by others – about the federal case against Ms. Crundwell.

Today’s report on Page 1 makes the fourth consecutive day we’ve given readers front-page articles on various aspects of the story.

We will have another Page 1 story on Monday. And Tuesday.

But no matter how much we think we know, there’s a whole lot more we don’t.

START WITH THE fact that a familiar name is at the top of the U.S. Department of Justice news release about Crundwell’s arrest: Patrick J. Fitzgerald, U.S. Attorney.

We know from his prosecution of former Gov. Rod Blagojevich that Fitzgerald is a shameless self-promoter with a penchant for overstatement and exaggeration.

That’s his style

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=doc&p_docid=13E4AEBC797CA8D8&p_docnum=8

'A good time was had by all'

DIXON – Rita Crundwell’s 2010 birthday bash was a “premier” event in the quarter horse industry. That’s according to a January 2010 story that appeared on gohorseshow.com that said industry leaders traveled from around the country to Venice, Fla., “just to attend the party.” As many as 200 attended.

The host? Crundwell’s boyfriend, Jim McKillips, who treated partygoers to an “outstanding buffet” of jumbo shrimp cocktail, prime rib and coconut shrimp. An “island-style” band entertained.

“One thing was for sure – a good time was had all,” the story said. “Rita was gorgeous as always in one of her ‘must have’ coats. Where does she find these items?”

-----
From the article:

After Crundwell’s arrest, an anonymous poster commented on the gohorseshow.com story: “Thanks, Dixon. As an exhibitor who attended a couple of Rita’s birthday parties in Venice, I would like to personally thank the hard-working people of Dixon, Ill., for the coconut shrimp. It was exceptional.”

Hmm, do you know what's weird to me? All the horse people I know don't have other jobs and for Rita's lavish lifestyle surely there were people in the industry wondering - or mebbe not.

She worked for Dixon for thirty years? She's been at this con for a lot longer than a few years.

Here's one article questioning the alleged crimes, and whether the US Attorney overstated some of this for his own reasons (claiming he did that in the prosecution of Gov. Blago)

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=doc&p_docid=13E4FD14D2E0A440&p_docnum=3

This we know: There's a lot we don't know

THIS WEEK’S NEWS bombshell – the FBI raid on Dixon City Hall and arrest of comptroller Rita Crundwell – was the talk of the town.

And the state. And the nation.

National news outlets know a good story line when they hear it, and many of them came to town this week to see it.

A lot of information has been reported – by this newspaper, mostly, and by others – about the federal case against Ms. Crundwell.

Today’s report on Page 1 makes the fourth consecutive day we’ve given readers front-page articles on various aspects of the story.

We will have another Page 1 story on Monday. And Tuesday.

But no matter how much we think we know, there’s a whole lot more we don’t.

START WITH THE fact that a familiar name is at the top of the U.S. Department of Justice news release about Crundwell’s arrest: Patrick J. Fitzgerald, U.S. Attorney.

We know from his prosecution of former Gov. Rod Blagojevich that Fitzgerald is a shameless self-promoter with a penchant for overstatement and exaggeration.

That’s his style

Again, not giving this woman a pass if indeed she has done wrong, but I do believe BOTH sides of the pancake know how to use the techniques of "chaos and confusion" to their advantage. I also know, from the vantage point of one side of the pancake, that it is indeed possible to get a ham sandwich indicted if the US attorney wants that to happen. Just saying.....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
locallady50
Back