Chicago Cop Allegedly Attacks 15y.o.

Well isn't he a big man. Explain to me why his son was unable to defend himself if needed?

Well isn't he a big man. Explain to me why his son was unable to defend himself if needed?
His son shouldn't have to defend himself, any more than the rest of us should, when attacked by a mugger or blackmailer. But the attack isn't right either - it should be handled properly, through the cops (that is, the on duty ones), and courts, if something serious was going on.

Just a pet peeve, quite likely not related to this, that kids are expected to deal with assaults from other kids on their own. We wouldn't take it if it were adults, kids shouldn't have to deal with that under the label of bullying either.

:HappyBday
His son shouldn't have to defend himself, any more than the rest of us should, when attacked by a mugger or blackmailer. But the attack isn't right either - it should be handled properly, through the cops (that is, the on duty ones), and courts, if something serious was going on.

Just a pet peeve, quite likely not related to this, that kids are expected to deal with assaults from other kids on their own. We wouldn't take it if it were adults, kids shouldn't have to deal with that under the label of bullying either.

I agree that bullying in this country is out of hand but, this father was way out of line. It sounded like this altercation between the two boys was totally verbal and that the boy who was beaten was walking away. I agree that parents and others need to get involved I think that most times there is not enough done in these situations but, thsi man did not act as a police officer or as a father, he acted just like all of the other punks he's just older. Not handled well at all in my opoinion.

I agree that bullying in this country is out of hand but, this father was way out of line. It sounded like this altercation between the two boys was totally verbal and that the boy who was beaten was walking away. I agree that parents and others need to get involved I think that most times there is not enough done in these situations but, thsi man did not act as a police officer or as a father, he acted just like all of the other punks he's just older. Not handled well at all in my opoinion.
Yeah, no question he was out of line, criminally so - just questioning the idea that the son should be able to defend himself if needed. That's not the answer - if we're talking a physical fight, the boy shouldn't have to defend himself, authorities, whether teachers, police, or whatever should step in, and charges should be filed. Too often society thinks it's OK for a couple of kids to just be having a fight, boys will be boys - that's what I'm disagreeing with.

Being purely verbal may not mean anything - for a pure hypothetical, what if the one kid were a bully (purely hypothetical - I've seen nothing to suggest the kid beaten up was in the wrong), and the verbal bit was him promising a severe beating later, or telling him he'd just beaten a friend of his. The cop is alleging some type of threat.

None of this excuses the cop, and nothing solid says the boy beaten up did a single thing wrong. I'm just talking hypotheticals. An equally likely hypothetical is that the cop's son is the bully, and threatened the kid that if he didn't cough up his lunch money or whatever, he'd get his father to beat him up.

Details, I am definitely talking about him defending himself verbally. I also don't agree with the "boys will be boys" mentality. We don't really know enough to know exactly what was said in this "verbal altercation". What I take issue with is the father getting physical with the other boy. He set a horrible example of how to resolve conflict.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back