MD MD - Kanika Powell, 28, Upper Marlboro, 29 Aug 2008

always reading

Reaction score
Someone posted about this government employee's murder on FB, and I was intrigued.

Prince George's Killing, Apparently Planned, Opens Host of Mysteries
Kanika Powell suspected something when the man knocked on her door claiming to be an FBI agent. He held a badge up to her peephole but walked away when Powell refused to open up without seeing a photo ID.

Five days later, there was another knock at the door of her Laurel area apartment. This time a different man, who said he was delivering a package. When Powell again refused to open the door, he also left -- no package, no note where it could be claimed.

Five hours later, Powell was outside her door after returning from errands. Someone was waiting in the hallway and opened fire, riddling her with bullets. She died a day later, this past Friday, and police have no idea why she was killed.

Upper Marlboro is the county seat of Prince Georges County, Maryland.

Laurel is the northernmost city in Prince Georges County, and is a good half hour (at least) drive from Upper Marlboro.

From the information available it would seem that her murder was a planned hit.

Hopefully, police will obtain enough information and clues for an arrest.

Have there been any updates on this case since 2008?

Yes, it definitely seems planned. I've searched online but I'm unable to find any updates on the case. What I did find though was another security worker was also murdered by gunshot:
Green began working for BEA Systems as a contract tech-support employee with top-secret security clearance at the National Counterterrorism Center in Tysons Corner.

Green kept classified information flowing and critical computer systems humming, his supervisor said. "Sean understood how his critical work contributed to the success of our mission and he strove to do his very best each and every day," Leiter wrote. "His important work at this center has helped to keep our country safe."

For reasons that remain a mystery, police say, Green was slain Nov. 12, shot nine times by a masked gunman as he sat in his car at a red light off the Capital Beltway near Oxon Hill at rush hour.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/22/AR2008112202015.html

This site has the email she sent out to her friends after the guy posing as a FBI agent knocked on her door.

http://www.michellesigona.com/2010/03/death-at-the-door-2/

It's also claimed the man who shot her was the man who tried to deliver the package.

After the police left, Kanika decided to leave to run errands. When she came back, the unknown person who had claimed to have the package was now waiting in the hallway. The suspect opened fire, shooting Kanika on the first landing of her apartment. She was transported to the hospital, but sadly Judy says her daughter never regained consciousness and died the next day.

But how did they know it's the same man, did anyone else see him both times? Was he caught on security camera? And if he was, wouldn't that have been released to the public to see if anyone knew the man?

This site has the email she sent out to her friends after the guy posing as a FBI agent knocked on her door.

http://www.michellesigona.com/2010/03/death-at-the-door-2/

It's also claimed the man who shot her was the man who tried to deliver the package.

But how did they know it's the same man, did anyone else see him both times? Was he caught on security camera? And if he was, wouldn't that have been released to the public to see if anyone knew the man?

I think they're just speculating that it was the same man. Some articles just say a man gunned her down, instead of the same man.

Just hearing about this case. This is very disturbing! Any updates?

Very intriguing case...will have to try and learn more about this. Thanks for bumping Sallywally.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Very strange! Can't believe there are no updates...

This cold case is now over 10 years old. Still unsolved...

• Subject: Weekend

• I just wanted to share with you the scariest thing that happened to me this weekend. Saturday evening around 7pm a man was knocking at my door (as all of you may know I live alone). I asked who it was and he didn’t answer, so once I got close to the door and looked out of the peephole I saw a male figure that was not familiar to me at all. I asked who he was and all he stated was that he was from the FBI and that he was looking for Kanika Powell. It freaked me out completely because this man knew my name. He held a shield up but no picture ID and he never gave his name. He told me he was looking for me in regards to an investigation. I told him that I had no idea as to what he was talking about and that he would need to show me documentation as well as a warrant of some sort. So he left and I looked out my bedroom window and saw him walking. I also heard a voice tell him to walk in the opposite direction. The whole situation was scary and seemed so false. So because of this incident not only did I get NO sleep for the rest of the weekend but I am now trying to get an alarm system installed in my apartment. I had one in my old apartment, but I just hadn’t had it transferred over to my new one. As far as everything that happened with the guy. I did call the FBI and they told me that it was more than likely bogus because they never come to your door by themselves and they always leave a card of some sort so that you can contact them. I called the local police as well to give them a description just in case someone is out there trying to rape or harm single women.

• pass this on ladies.. This is not a fake Forward this happened to ME Kanika…Who knows who these guys are and what they are doing and in what areas other than mine.”
Kanika Powell email

I am going to ramble some ideas, No new evidence, Speciation based off known facts. Lets count the potential perps, #1, 99c store FIB badge guy, #2, UPS delivery driver without package, #3 the unseen man heard by Kanika from bedroom window, The unseen man tells suspect #1 (FIB badge guy) to walk in the opposite direction. I assuming that the #3 unseen man was different than #2 ups guy because she probably would have noticed and said as such. Then we have the shooter, It is claimed above that the shooter was the UPS guy, I don't know if that's true. There is a potential of up to 4 perps involved. Badge guy, UPS guy, Unseen man, And potentially an altogether different shooter.

Okay then lets look at potential motives, If these guys wanted to kill her, The motive is simply murder, Why not shoot her through the door? FIB badge guy knows she is looking at his phony badge through the peep hole and could have killed her by firing through the door. UPS guy also has her at the door speaking to him. Why do neither of these guys fire at her through the door? We know its not because they are "professional" and they have to make sure she is dead because even after cowardly ambushing her in the hallway whoever the shooter is does not finish her off and she lives and does not pass away untill the next day at hospital. I assume that they wanted to get her to open the door enter her home and rape her. If she opens the door then they guy grabs her and gives the unseen man the "hand signal" or "whistle" and then he also enters the apartment and locks the door behind them. They want both Kanika and the apartment together. There was no attempt break and enter her aparment without her there, And an attempt on her life was never made away from the apartment.

The desperation to get the job done seemingly correlates to Kanika's upcoming trip as the attacks become more brazen leading up.

The assailant(s) in this case proves to have very little knowledge of Kanika outside of her name and address. He/they do not utilize other aspects of her life to find vulnerability, Everything happens at her home, In daylight, and Subject to witnesses. This is a high risk criminal, More than likely a sociopath or a criminal home invader type scam operation.

Kanika+Powell+Trace+Evidence
kanika-powell-image-1.jpg

Kanika Powell, age 28, Murdered 29 August 2008

Kanika Powell was a brilliant twenty-eight year old woman living in Prince George County, Maryland. After a tour of service in the Army, she came out and began work as a security contractor. Much to her delight, she found work at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, Maryland. After two years working as a contractor, she was hired on as a full time employee. Her work required a top secret classification and she was involved in securing projects related to National Security and in conjunction with the Department of Homeland Security...

LINKS:

The Murder of Kanika Powell — Trace Evidence

Don’t Open the Door: The Kanika Powell Murder

Murder – Kanika Powell

I don't think that there are two perps here. It is more likely that the one who had to walk the other way was not a companion of the killer but a random, and unexpected, passant/witness whom the killer shouted at.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann
Back