Conan gone and Leno back in. What a disgusting way to run a railroad at NBC.

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
Looks like Conan is definitely gone; http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/15/c...c_n_424508.html

According to the outlines of a settlement, Conan O'Brien will leave NBC and the network will make an as-yet unspecified payment. The comedian will be free to appear elsewhere on television well before his contract expires, despite earlier threats from NBC that it would prevent him from working anywhere else.

Leno seems to be changing the tune he sung in 2004: His announcement.

Wow! When Leno was a traveling comic he came to Rochester and some good friends of mine got together with him after the show and they said he was the nicest most down to earth guy. It seems now that some of that is gone. What he's doing to Conan is inexcusable. If you're pissed at NBC then don't take it out on Conan.

Letterman weighs in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A98_-EeXS_I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msC3uu4KZbg...feature=related

If there is any truth to the story presented in the movie "The Late Shift" then Leno's agent really screwed Carson and Letterman. I don't think Jay knew what was going on exactly but Letterman was screwed by NBC and Leno's agent. BTW, the new agent Letterman hired, Michael Ovitz, was brilliant in handling the situation for Dave.

It should be remembered that when Conan took over Late Night Letterman had him on his show to publicize his taking over Late Night. A very classy move IMO.

Today Show interview with Conan just before taking over The Tonight Show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inldaPzn1Fs

I hope Letterman finds some way to get WWP to sign him to a contract to do various CBS specials and then eventually take over the Late Show when he retires. :worthy:

Letterman invites Conan to be a guest on his show. :woohoo:

I saw that title and didn't think it covered the whole Conan thing. I'll check in.

I expect that the settlement for Conan is very high. He and his crew packed up themselves and their families and moved all the way across the country for this job that they had contracted years ago. I cannot believe that Leno has the nerve to take the tonight Show back after he failed in his talk show. He has some nerve. While I prefer Conan as an entertainer, I like Jay and did sometimes watch him. I will not watch the poinsoned Tonight Show with Jay Leno. I WILL look forward to anything that Conan develops in the future. I am sure there are many offers.

No offense, but I do not think Leno poisoned the Tonight Show---it was the highest rated late night show on tv when he had it. NBC should never have negotiated a deal with Conan--he does not hold a candle to Leno, and NBC should have known better than to mess up a good thing with Leno at the helm--he never wanted to leave, Conan forced the issue. I do not feel sorry for Conan, he tanked, and is now trying to point fingers. NBC messed up, and Conan messed up, and Jay is getting the blame. That stinks.
I expect that the settlement for Conan is very high. He and his crew packed up themselves and their families and moved all the way across the country for this job that they had contracted years ago. I cannot believe that Leno has the nerve to take the tonight Show back after he failed in his talk show. He has some nerve. While I prefer Conan as an entertainer, I like Jay and did sometimes watch him. I will not watch the poinsoned Tonight Show with Jay Leno. I WILL look forward to anything that Conan develops in the future. I am sure there are many offers.

No offense, but I do not think Leno poisoned the Tonight Show---it was the highest rated late night show on tv when he had it. NBC should never have negotiated a deal with Conan--he does not hold a candle to Leno, and NBC should have known better than to mess up a good thing with Leno at the helm--he never wanted to leave, Conan forced the issue. I do not feel sorry for Conan, he tanked, and is now trying to point fingers. NBC messed up, and Conan messed up, and Jay is getting the blame. That stinks.
I totally agree with you- Jay was forced out and for the most part has taken the high road, and done what the network has asked of him, which Conan didn't- Conan's ratings tanked. I say Welcome Back Jay at whatever time you're on, you are the King of Comedy! Conan just isn't funny- Buhbye, and don't let the door hit you on the way out! It's disgusting the way people are taking potshots at Jay!!!:mad:

Jay was not forced out. In 2004, he signed a contract for 5 years. At the time, he said, "Conan, it's yours!" He embraced leaving from 2004-2007. Then started whining about it.

Jay always had huge shows to lead him in and help the ratings. ER, Law & Order, Medium, SVU, Dateline, etc. The reason Conan's ratings went down in comparrison is because he didn't have those shows. He had Leno. Whose ratings were atrocious. NBC didn't even give Conan a chance.

I didn't mind Leno before this mess started. Not my favorite but I sometimes watched his show. But now I have absoultely zero respect for him. No, I don't blame him 100%. I blame Zucker and the rest of the execs at NBC. But as I said on the other thread, Leno needs to step up and be a man, and take responsibility for what has happened. Bow out gracefully.

(Can we possibly get the two threads merged so we don't have the same conversations in two places? TIA!)

Jay was not forced out. In 2004, he signed a contract for 5 years. At the time, he said, "Conan, it's yours!" He embraced leaving from 2004-2007. Then started whining about it.
Ummm, you have your facts wrong! In 2004, they told him they were replacing him with Conan in 2009 (based on Conan's popularity at the time), he never offered it, nor did he want to leave!

Jay always had huge shows to lead him in and help the ratings. ER, Law & Order, Medium, SVU, Dateline, etc. The reason Conan's ratings went down in comparrison is because he didn't have those shows. He had Leno. Whose ratings were atrocious. NBC didn't even give Conan a chance.

I didn't mind Leno before this mess started. Not my favorite but I sometimes watched his show. But now I have absoultely zero respect for him. No, I don't blame him 100%. I blame Zucker and the rest of the execs at NBC. But as I said on the other thread, Leno needs to step up and be a man, and take responsibility for what has happened. Bow out gracefully.

(Can we possibly get the two threads merged so we don't have the same conversations in two places? TIA!)

Classic Letterman line from the other night; "If they didn't know what they were doing they wouldn't be execs" :laugh:

Ummm, you have your facts wrong! In 2004, they told him they were replacing him with Conan in 2009 (based on Conan's popularity at the time), he never offered it, nor did he want to leave!

[video=youtube;KbXvj_PAbVM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbXvj_PAbVM[/video]

"Conan is a gentleman, funny, the hottest late night guy out there. Excellent!" and "I don't think there's a better choice."

"When I took this show over, there was a lot of animosity between me and Dave, and who's gonna get it. And quite frankly, a lot of good friendships were permanently damaged. And I don't want to have to see anybody ever go through that again."

"This show is like a dynasty. You hold it, then you hand it off to the next person. And I don't want to see all the fighting and all the who's better and nasty things back and forth in the press. So right now, here it is: Conan, it's yours! See you in 5 years, buddy!"

LIES! All lies. Apparently, he wants to be carried out on a stretcher...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbXvj_PAbVM

"Conan is a gentleman, funny, the hottest late night guy out there. Excellent!" and "I don't think there's a better choice."

"When I took this show over, there was a lot of animosity between me and Dave, and who's gonna get it. And quite frankly, a lot of good friendships were permanently damaged. And I don't want to have to see anybody ever go through that again."

"This show is like a dynasty. You hold it, then you hand it off to the next person. And I don't want to see all the fighting and all the who's better and nasty things back and forth in the press. So right now, here it is: Conan, it's yours! See you in 5 years, buddy!"

LIES! All lies. Apparently, he wants to be carried out on a stretcher...

I think it's pretty insulting to suggest someone who is older has to give up the job because of age. Leno isn't even at retirement age yet. So, please, enough with "be carried out on a stretcher..." Age discrimination is not even legal.

I think it's pretty insulting to suggest someone who is older has to give up the job because of age. Leno isn't even at retirement age yet. So, please, enough with "be carried out on a stretcher..." Age discrimination is not even legal.

If you would have watched the video you would have understood the reference.

I read before Leno started the 10:00pm show that he (Leno) had requested that show and time slot and had really wanted this show at this time. It was my understanding that it was Jay Leno pitching this show. I had a feeling it would never work but had read that Leno insisted! If so, all that fits, Jay Leno thought he could keep his word relinquishing the time slot to Conan and then continuing during prime time.
I don't watch those kinds of shows and felt it would not be successful in the primetime slot. No news to me...but I did love Jimmy Kimmels last answer...in his interview.on Leno's show...it went something like this,
"You only have cars to take care of with that 800 million dollars. Conan and I have families."
They can talk about NBC all they want but Leno dictated this.
I will say if I ever have to watch one of those shows it will be Letterman.
All the above my opinion only.

If you would have watched the video you would have understood the reference.

Leno was just been nice back in 2005. He could have whined about having to give up his job, but he was being nice as if he was happy to do it. Nbc told him they want to do it, and he was being gracious about it.

I read before Leno started the 10:00pm show that he (Leno) had requested that show and time slot and had really wanted this show at this time. It was my understanding that it was Jay Leno pitching this show. I had a feeling it would never work but had read that Leno insisted! If so, all that fits, Jay Leno thought he could keep his word relinquishing the time slot to Conan and then continuing during prime time.
I don't watch those kinds of shows and felt it would not be successful in the primetime slot. No news to me...but I did love Jimmy Kimmels last answer...in his interview.on Leno's show...it went something like this,
"You only have cars to take care of with that 800 million dollars. Conan and I have families."
They can talk about NBC all they want but Leno dictated this.
I will say if I ever have to watch one of those shows it will be Letterman.
All the above my opinion only.

He's not requested the 10 pm time slot. He was perfectly happy with the show he had, but nbc wanted to give that to Conan.

Leno was just been nice back in 2005. He could have whined about having to give up his job, but he was being nice as if he was happy to do it. Nbc told him they want to do it, and he was being gracious about it.

It might just be me, but I'd rather have someone be "mean", tell me the truth, and take care of it up front, instead of lying for years, pretending to be nice and gracious, and then throwing a fit when it comes down to it.

He's not requested the 10 pm time slot. He was perfectly happy with the show he had, but nbc wanted to give that to Conan.

Hmmmm... Leno's contract was up in June..Why wouldn't Leno have just signed a new contract to stay and prevent Conan from moving his family and relocating? Leno pitched the new show to NBC. He thought it would work. It was his idea. The article I read was written before the new show even started..before all this other happened..I will keep trying to find my source..He may be saying now that it was NBC's fault but according to that article..NBC was hesitant to try it and Leno kept pitching it.

Let them co-host..Let Leno do a couple of nights then Conan...Work it out...Try it...

I respect other's opinions but I would have never typed this or chimed in, if I had not read the article.

It matters not who is doing the program to me because I will not watch.

What matters to me is the fact a man lost his job, his contract was broken after he had relocated his family. That is the injustice in this! That is my concern.

Why was he so willing to be 'nice' and 'gracious' back then, but not now??? Strange.

Hmmmm... Leno's contract was up in June..Why wouldn't Leno have just signed a new contract to stay and prevent Conan from moving his family and relocating? Leno pitched the new show to NBC. He thought it would work. It was his idea. The article I read was written before the new show even started..before all this other happened..I will keep trying to find my source..He may be saying now that it was NBC's fault but according to that article..NBC was hesitant to try it and Leno kept pitching it.

Let them co-host..Let Leno do a couple of nights then Conan...Work it out...Try it...

I respect other's opinions but I would have never typed this or chimed in, if I had not read the article.

It matters not who is doing the program to me because I will not watch.

What matters to me is the fact a man lost his job, his contract was broken after he had relocated his family. That is the injustice in this! That is my concern.

What article?
He didn't want the 10 pm show, NBC promised his 11:35 show to Conan, so Leno had to take the 10 pm slot.

Why was he so willing to be 'nice' and 'gracious' back then, but not now??? Strange.

Who says he isn't being nice and gracious? He agreed with what nbc wanted back then and now, that doesn't make him not nice or ungracious.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3
Back