LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you saying you don't think he needed a stressor because he appears to be a sexual sadist? That's what I believe. He decided he needed "release" and went looking for a victim. Everything in this life could have been absolutely fine. He just wanted to have his world rocked. Unfortunately the way sexual sadists achieve that means a woman ( or a man or child) will be sexually molested in some way and may be killed.

No. I think BSL quite possibly has a mental illness as well as antisocial personality disorder. I don't know if he takes any medications but even if he doesn't I think he has worked at controlling impulses he may have. I think the stressors in his life made it difficult for him to cope and he could no longer control his need for gratification, much as an addict relapses or a dieter or alcoholic goes on a binge. I don't feel that it is a release but more of a need for a high - a feeling of pleasure- that he needed- a feeling of gratification, of power,of being in control because all around him everything else was out of control. (Dad being sick, GF family questioning RSO status).

Let's go easy on each other please. Emotions are running very high in this case, but we are all entitled to our thoughts and opinions.

You are great folks who want the same thing in the end.

Friendly reminder: Comments should be about the content of posts, not about the person who posted. And comments and replies should be respectful of the other person's point of view, even when we vehemently disagree!

Thank you!
~Summer_Breeze

Yes I agree that they are hoping for there not to be enough evidence. However I don't think it's fair to call the lawyer cold blooded, he/she is doing their job which is to defend their client I don't think it's fair that they be scrutinized in the public eye. Defensive lawyers don't always support their clients or agree with them.

Well I think it will come into play more later on but if you think about it he can't give up the location of her body without confessing.....giving up location of her body would be a confession and I think that its purely strategic that he is holding out hoping they don't have enough evidence.....body =evidence.

IMO lawyer needs to sit him down and let him know. "Dude you're screwed" IMO they could make a plea bargain and take the death penalty off the table and I've said before arrange for him to see his daughter etc if he confesses and tells the location of the body. Why else would he not confess? He apparently IMO is only concerned with saving his own *advertiser censored**

Moo

Aussie girl my point to you is that if you really are from Australia you might not realize exactly how big a role alcohol plays in the nearly daily lives of people around here.....dwis alcohol related fatalities and accidents are pretty much an epidemic around here. Personally it disgusts me but drunkenness underage drinking and driving under the influence are really really common here. People from all surrounding areas go to Lafayette to party. Its the nearest college town.if there is any kind of vehicle accident involving 2 cars it is more likely than not alcohol related. Especially at 2 a.m....so IMO same rule would apply to car hitting a bike as well.

Add to that the panic
poor decision making
Fear of consequences that would be IMO
greater for bsl than most
Impulse control problems
All amplified by alcohol

IMO alcohol being involved is likely

Moo

My mental health classes taught me that alcohol is a world epidemic. Not only in developed countries but undeveloped countries as well. Thanks for sharing with me though I'm quiet aware of DUI and risks etc etc. it is a major issue here too.

No. I think BSL quite possibly has a mental illness as well as antisocial personality disorder. I don't know if he takes any medications but even if he doesn't I think he has worked at controlling impulses he may have. I think the stressors in his life made it difficult for him to cope and he could no longer control his need for gratification, much as an addict relapses or a dieter or alcoholic goes on a binge. I don't feel that it is a release but more of a need for a high - a feeling of pleasure- that he needed- a feeling of gratification, of power,of being in control because all around him everything else was out of control. (Dad being sick, GF family questioning RSO status).

I am not happy to hear that because some sort of insanity plea is not what anyone wants

Moo

Wow ... SMH

Speechless at this point.

aussie_girl...I value your opinion and when I read your posts I instantly turn into an Aussie myself. I may only be one person but I hope this mess doesn't chase you away.

But that does not really place him at WB...just his wallet. It has been said that LE said they can place HIM there.

Help me on this one y'all, I can't find the story. I know I read that the dogs made a "hit" at WB near where the bike was found. They said it was probably from a fisherman.
Moo I think the blood was from BSL and that's how they specifically put him there.

Well I think it will come into play more later on but if you think about it he can't give up the location of her body without confessing.....giving up location of her body would be a confession and I think that its purely strategic that he is holding out hoping they don't have enough evidence.....body =evidence.

IMO lawyer needs to sit him down and let him know. "Dude you're screwed" IMO they could make a plea bargain and take the death penalty off the table and I've said before arrange for him to see his daughter etc if he confesses and tells the location of the body. Why else would he not confess? He apparently IMO is only concerned with saving his own *advertiser censored**

Moo

The lawyers job is to defend bsl his client he doesn't need to make him do anything. And if the lawyer does say he should tell where the body is I cannot see bsl doing so, he seems to take no accountability for his actions whatsoever re. The 1999 case, where he still denies.

Thanks:) no I won't let it turn me away I'm here for mickey. I think the more people involved the better, fresh eyes, ears, thoughts, ideas is what is going to help bring Mickey home. :)

http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...he-he-does?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

"We were kind of pushed into moving on it, but we were confident in our information and had it reviewed by the district attorney's office to make sure that we were on solid ground in taking him into custody," Craft said. "We have some very solid information and evidence that should result in a true bill."

Craft said police are still not sure whether Shunick was ever in Lavergne's mobile home, but crime scene investigators processed the scene "like she was." There was no body or human remains, nor a GPS, in the burned-out truck, but Craft said there very likely was evidence related to the case.

Craft understands the public's frustration with the department releasing so few details about the case, and admits that police have information and evidence that fills in a lot of blanks and answers a lot of lingering questions. But he is just as adamant that most of those details will not be released until the court proceedings get under way.

I want to bump this.

BBM. There are facts, and there are rumors. I prefer to stick to the facts.
I believe LE are holding the facts close so the case is not jeopardized. Can you really blame them?

Let's remember, this is the internet. It's wide open. A few have come forward (here and elsewhere) to share personal info and report what they know. Some of those have gone silent (I suspect) for good reason. They may have been asked by LE to STFU. I also believe these good folks have reported what they know to LE.

I suggest we calm down, be patient, and wait for July 18 Grand Jury. :please:

:truce:

I agree one hundred percent with you but I really feel trying to live down that initial IMO unfair rso status may have prompted him or motivated him to try to hide or cover up a mistake like dwi or accident that may have hurt Mickey so bad he felt he had killed her (knocked out....bleeding bad....etc) and he didn't want to go BACK to jail.
And I said before ..... I speculate he could have wanted to bring her to the hospital but just for example if he had just one or two drinks he would be worried he'd fail the breathalizer.....so I speculate he thought he'd drive for a while to sober up. IMO mi key could have been confused, knocked out or passed out and when she woke up was so scared and went ape ****... or she could have been awake and realized whoa he's not taking me home or a hospital. And went ape ****

AND AGAIN IF SHE WAS ABLE BODIED ENOUGH TO FIGHT BACK....
HOWD HE GET HER INTO THE TRUCK???? BIKE BELONGINGS AND ALL..
WITHOUT HER KICKING HIS WINDOWS OUT AND SCREAMING???
UNLESS SHE HOT IN THE TRUCK WILLINGLY?

IMO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING POINTS TO COLD BLOODED KILLER.....IMO THE ONLY THING THAT COULD CAUSE YOU TO THINK THAT OS HEARING AND READING AND CHOOSING TO BELIEVE RUMORS ABOUT BSL'S PAST...

Nothing points to cold-blooded killer? Okay then where is her body?

<mod snip>

"In addition to a sexual assault conviction in Evangeline Parish, he's also accused of domestic abuse by a woman who was his wife for just a year, according to St. Landry Parish Court Records."

"The last time Lavergne was sent to jail, his wife was awarded a divorce. Court documents show it was a brief marriage where she was scared for her safety."

" just a few months after they were married in September 1999 Lavergne allegedly hit her on the head and then tried to smother her. She stated in documents that the attack sent her to the hospital for CT scans."

"Then in February of 2000, the ex-wife stated that Lavergne showed up to her work, hit her in the face, grabbed her neck and threw her down. The next day, she filed for divorce and also requested a temporary restraining order and protective orders."

http://www.katc.com/news/brandon-lavergne-accused-of-domestic-abuse-in-1999-marriage/

It wasn't just once. He did it to his wife too.

I agree one hundred percent with you but I really feel trying to live down that initial IMO unfair rso status may have prompted him or motivated him to try to hide or cover up a mistake like dwi or accident that may have hurt Mickey so bad he felt he had killed her (knocked out....bleeding bad....etc) and he didn't want to go BACK to jail.
And I said before ..... I speculate he could have wanted to bring her to the hospital but just for example if he had just one or two drinks he would be worried he'd fail the breathalizer.....so I speculate he thought he'd drive for a while to sober up. IMO mi key could have been confused, knocked out or passed out and when she woke up was so scared and went ape ****... or she could have been awake and realized whoa he's not taking me home or a hospital. And went ape ****

AND AGAIN IF SHE WAS ABLE BODIED ENOUGH TO FIGHT BACK....
HOWD HE GET HER INTO THE TRUCK???? BIKE BELONGINGS AND ALL..
WITHOUT HER KICKING HIS WINDOWS OUT AND SCREAMING???
UNLESS SHE HOT IN THE TRUCK WILLINGLY?

IMO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING POINTS TO COLD BLOODED KILLER.....IMO THE ONLY THING THAT COULD CAUSE YOU TO THINK THAT OS HEARING AND READING AND CHOOSING TO BELIEVE RUMORS ABOUT BSL'S PAST...

I think what points to cold blooded killer is conscience/no conscience. If he's thinking logically, like in this scenario, then he would be a lot more afraid of murder or covering up her death then getting caught drinking and driving. If he had any sense that someone or camera saw him getting an alive Mickey into the truck, he would have driven off to the hospital and dumped her off.

If he's not a cold-blooded killer, than why isn't he singing like a canary and giving the family some peace. Better yet, why not just say you dropped her off and didn't know what happened afterward. Just my opinion but I think this is giving him too much credit.

I am not happy to hear that because some sort of insanity plea is not what anyone wants

Moo

I don't think he could plead out on it but I do believe mental
Illness does play a part. As a society we have not evolved to a place where we can accept that some people have brain malfunctions/ abnormalities that can cause people to behave in certain ways. Even if we were we have no idea what to do morally with people whose brains don't function in the "normal" range. We drug them or cage them- or kill them. We don't know hat to do with them and we surely don't know yet how to fix them.But I have hope for mankind that just as we figured out lepers didn't need to be isolated in colonies and can be treated, antibiotics can be given to treat infections, vaccines can be given for polio,lobotomies are not the best way to treat mental illness, mankind will some day find a way to help those who have other types of brain malfunctions.

Awwe lawwwwwwrd....
So unless they actually caught HIM there anyone could say "but that doesn't really place him there" just his wallet? How about DNA? Doesn't prove he was there just his DNA??

Really?
IMO finding someone's wallet with their lisense in it is enough for le to say that they place "HIM" THERE........OR WHEREVER HIS WALLET IS.......

Le could place him at whiskey bay with just his wallet......but of course that's only my opinion. Lol

I would think that they could try. But, the defense would put that in doubt. Lets face it, whether we think he is smart or not, having a police report from the 19th that says he was at the hospital because he was robbed and stabbed just might make it appear it wasn't him. They didn't find the bike until the 26th. Would there be enough reasonable doubt that it was taken in the robbery and dropped there at another time just another in a series of strange coinsidences?

I don't think its the wallet IMHO. It might be the boxcutter with his dna. Could be blood,hair, fiber dna. Lets hope its is a DIRECT link that says this bike did not get here by anyone other than BSL. That is my hope. Maybe its something as simple as a receipt found laying on the ground from a gas station that night. Its so hard to say!

Kelly

I think what points to cold blooded killer is conscience/no conscience. If he's thinking logically, like in this scenario, then he would be a lot more afraid of murder or covering up her death then getting caught drinking and driving. If he had any sense that someone or camera saw him getting an alive Mickey into the truck, he would have driven off to the hospital and dumped her off.

If he's not a cold-blooded killer, than why isn't he singing like a canary and giving the family some peace. Better yet, why not just say you dropped her off and didn't know what happened afterward. Just my opinion but I think this is giving him too much credit.

It's because he's sick.

Every day we walk and work with sociopaths and psychopaths. Every day.
My co-worker and I talk about this often. She believes it's in the DNA.

There were earlier discussions about this. Thanks to those who posted about it.

Can any of us truly understand this behavior? I doubt it.

BSL did whatever he did because he is very sick.

IMO, LE is doing whatever they can to prosecute him.
Probation officers who meet with RSO's may have dropped the ball.
I have a friend who was a PO, and let me tell you she is a pip.

It's "the system" that's at fault. While they may have websites and "procedure", I'm sure much falls between the cracks. Every day.
I suspect that few are really dedicated to doing a good job.

I also suspect many just walk through the motions to get their paychecks every week.

While I'm on a roll, what about social services? How many children are abused and fall through the cracks? God only knows.

Let's remember that thousands go missing every day. :banghead:

:moo::moo::moo:

His father lives in Texas in the opposite direction of New Orleans. Highly unlikely he brought Mickey there and then drove all the way to New Orleans.

I believe that his father lived in the Acadiana area. His birthmother lives in Texas.

I don't think he could plead out on it but I do believe mental
Illness does play a part. As a society we have not evolved to a place where we can accept that some people have brain malfunctions/ abnormalities that can cause people to behave in certain ways. Even if we were we have no idea what to do morally with people whose brains don't function in the "normal" range. We drug them or cage them- or kill them. We don't know hat to do with them and we surely don't know yet how to fix them.But I have hope for mankind that just as we figured out lepers didn't need to be isolated in colonies and can be treated, antibiotics can be given to treat infections, vaccines can be given for polio,lobotomies are not the best way to treat mental illness, mankind will some day find a way to help those who have other types of brain malfunctions.

I agree with you, Boudin. It seems that there are people whose brains are just not wired right, for lack of a better description. They can do horrible, despicable things that "normal" folks wouldn't dream of, or understand. We don't know how to fix these people - the human brain is still an unknown frontier. Scientists and doctors make amazing discoveries every day, but we are still far from having an understanding of the human brain functions.

Can a sexual predator ever be cured? Maybe some day in the future, but all we can do right now is hold him accountable for his actions and make him pay the appropriate penalty.

And while we can wonder whether BSL hit Mickey accidentally, or trolled for a victim, or seized Mickey because she just happened to be there, in the end he is accused of her murder. How he managed to accomplish that may matter to LE and attorneys, but it doesn't matter that much to me. He is accused of killing a beautiful, vibrant young woman who was hurting no one.

He made decisions that night that led him to do whatever it was he did. Whether he was drunk, or mentally ill, or afraid because of his RSO status, the Shunick family is paying the price for what he did and will continue to pay the price for the rest of their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong