US tourist killed by lion in South Africa

zwiebel

Reaction score
An unnamed American tourist has been mauled to death by a lion while driving through a South African safari park with a window open. Another passenger's reported to be seriously injured.

The lion will not be euthanized.

WARNING: At link, there are some pretty gruesome pics of a completely different lion attack, for some reason.

http://www.enca.com/south-africa/woman-killed-lion-park-attack

I once drove through a safari park behind a couple with kids in the car, with half-open front windows.

The lions ignored them. The monkeys jumped on the car and, frustrated they couldn't get inside the open windows where they could smell the kids' snacks, proceeded to demolish all chewable accessories on the car. Terrifying.

It was the tour guide/driver who sustained arm injuries while trying to get the lion off the 22 year old female passenger.

I do not understand why the window of the vehicle would have been down when there was an experienced guide/driver in the vehicle. Did this young woman lower the window against the advice of the guide? Or was the guide lax about the rules - which are to keep windows up at all times?

People do stupid things all the time. Sometimes they pay the ultimate price. So sad for this young woman and her loved ones.

An unnamed American tourist has been mauled to death by a lion while driving through a South African safari park with a window open. Another passenger's reported to be seriously injured.

The lion will not be euthanized.

WARNING: At link, there are some pretty gruesome pics of a completely different lion attack, for some reason.

http://www.enca.com/south-africa/woman-killed-lion-park-attack
So glad the lion will not be killed.

No, the pair were on a self-guided tour. She died, he was injured. The 3rd person was a staff member who came to help fight off the lion.

Yes, they lowered the window against the policy and strict warning given to everyone who enters the park,
"Simpson said visitors to the park are given plenty of warning not to leave their windows open.

'We make it so clear. We put signage up everywhere that people must keep their windows closed. We hand them a slip of paper when they enter the park, I really don’t understand why people think its okay to leave windows open,' he said.

Everyone who has died in the park in the past 4 months died as a result of having their windows open, and one 13 year died after he decided to cross through the park on his bike.

The lions are innocent and are only doing what they know how to do naturally, the humans however, were simply being careless and unnecessarily risked their lives. Very unfortunate.

When will human beings realize that Wild Animal's in their own domain aren't pet's or something to be at their biconical to accommodate their demands...I just shake my head hearing story's like this...I'm also willing to bet this couple had been pre-warned ..BUT for some silly entitled reasoning this women forgot there's something beyond herself that RULES!! It's Sad indeed..BUT IMO not a surprise...

People really must do due diligent research on this stuff..before venturing into the WILD..:facepalm:

[video=youtube;GruIspk-abQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GruIspk-abQ[/video]

When will human beings realize that Wild Animal's in their own domain aren't pet's or something to be at their biconical to accommodate their demands...I just shake my head hearing story's like this...I'm also willing to bet this couple had been pre-warned ..BUT for some silly entitled reasoning this women forgot there's something beyond herself that RULES!! It's Sad indeed..BUT IMO not a surprise...

People really must do due diligent research on this stuff..before venturing into the WILD..:facepalm:

I totally agree.

As sad as it is for the woman, this appears to be her own fault OR whoever rolled down that window.

Whether it be carelessness, arrogance, ignorance, stupidity, or just plain thinking they are "special".

I know this story was about a real safari tour but as I have gotten older I am at the point where I even dislike zoos, circuses, and places like Seaworld. To me, it is just not right. I do understand that sometimes reserves and sanctuaries are needed to ensure a certain population of a species is always retained but for the most part, I feel most of the places are mainly "for profit".

The last time I went to a zoo many years ago, I was saddened to see a large gorilla confined to a rather small enclosure. All I could think of was how sad it was. And the gorilla even looked sad. I was utterly disgusted by it all.

Dont get me wrong, I was one of the lucky kids growing up where my parents took me to the circus and I am sure I screamed with joy at all the animals. But as I have gotten older and learned about them, I have changed my attitude to where I dont think it is right unless for the sole purpose of helping a species survives.

I know things may never change and I do understand that bringing young children to a zoo or circus helps to educate the children and it gives them enjoyment and a chance to see things they may never see in the wild. I understand all that.

But with that said, I tend to be the person that roots for the animal if some idiot adult was horsing around and teasing animals as he falls into the Polar Bear exhibit. :)

American woman killed by lion identified as 29-year-old visual effects film editor who was on a volunteer mission to South Africa to help protect wildlife

Katherine Chappell was taking pictures out of the vehicle up until moment the lioness launched herself through the open window, say park officials

Chappell's camera, and the camera of other tourists, taken as evidence

The 29-year-old visual effects editor from Vancouver, Canada, was in South Africa to help protect animals from poachers

Chappell, originally from Rye, New York, is survived by her parents, two sisters and a brother

It's the third big cat attack at the safari park, in Gauteng, in four months

The park said they tell visitors to keep windows closed but are ignored

Lion Park officials said in a statement the lioness that killed Chappell will not be euthanized

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...es-seconds-animal-attacked.html#ixzz3byeZS6RU

Game of Thrones Editor Killed in Lion Attack in South Africa: Katherine Chappell Was 29

Corinne Heller, eonline
Seconds ago

Katherine Chappell, who worked as a visual effects editor on Game of Thrones, was killed by a lion at a wildlife park in South Africa this week. She was 29.

Her body was identified on Tuesday and she will be laid to rest at a memorial service in her hometown of Rye, New York on Saturday. Her family paid tribute to Chappell, who went by Katie, in a Facebook post. Her mother Mary, father Jon, sisters Jennifer and Lauren and Brother Ryan said she was a "brilliant, kind, adventurous and high-spirited woman" who "was very much loved and shared her love for life with those she met," NBC News reported...

http://my.xfinity.com/articles/entertainment-eonline/20150603/b662793/

Horrifying moment lioness reared up in attack that killed American tourist Katherine Chappell in South African safari park

Photograph shows lioness rearing up moments before it killed 29-year-old American tourist Katherine Chappell

Standing on its hind legs, the animal is seen peering into vehicle seconds before it lunged through open window

Miss Chappell, who worked as an editor on hit TV programme Game Of Thrones, was in South Africa volunteering

Engineer Ben Govender, who took the photograph, described how lion retreated, blood dripping from its mouth

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-South-African-safari-park.html#ixzz3cIRmaGAD

Horrifying moment lioness reared up in attack that killed American tourist Katherine Chappell in South African safari park

Photograph shows lioness rearing up moments before it killed 29-year-old American tourist Katherine Chappell

Standing on its hind legs, the animal is seen peering into vehicle seconds before it lunged through open window

Miss Chappell, who worked as an editor on hit TV programme Game Of Thrones, was in South Africa volunteering

Engineer Ben Govender, who took the photograph, described how lion retreated, blood dripping from its mouth

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-South-African-safari-park.html#ixzz3cIRmaGAD

It makes me wonder why they didn't roll up the windows after the first attack. Also the driver must have been totally incompetent. I don't buy that he tried to fight the lion off her. He just had a heart-attack and didn't do anything. Why din't he try to drive off and get away from the lion?

I'm very sorry this woman lost her life. I wonder why they rolled their windows down when they saw the lions?

To get better photos, I'm afraid.

I have driven through a game reserve in South Africa. Absolutely stunning and beautiful. My photographer friend grabbed some amazing shots - rhino with her baby, elephants rubbing up against trees closeby and a group of chimpanzees gathered around a mother that had just given birth - amazing. But, you get totally caught up in the moment, the awe of your surroundings. We were total idiots, in hindsight. We were out of the car at some points. :shame:

"Engineer Ben Govender, 38, who was in the car behind Miss Chappell, said 'no one could have imagined' what would happen in the minutes after he took the extraordinary photograph."

Respectfully, virtually anyone over age ~5 could have predicted, not just imagined, what was possible, even likely (almost certain?) to happen.

Wild animal in her (modified) domain, w warning signs up for visitors unaware that lions are carnivores. Not a stuffed toy, not a domesticated animal, not a house pet.
Not commenting on tourist's actions - just commenting on witness' stmt.
And not giving a pass to Daily Mail for using quote in first few paragraphs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-South-African-safari-park.html#ixzz3cUwE8MVC
June 6

JM2cts.

I have driven through a game reserve in South Africa. Absolutely stunning and beautiful. My photographer friend grabbed some amazing shots - rhino with her baby, elephants rubbing up against trees closeby and a group of chimpanzees gathered around a mother that had just given birth - amazing. But, you get totally caught up in the moment, the awe of your surroundings. We were total idiots, in hindsight. We were out of the car at some points. :shame:

Thank's for sharing your experience! Do many visitors ignore or forget the warnings? I'll bet that this woman isn't the only one who has done this. I wonder if this is pretty common for people to do at these places?

Man behind the vehicle where the death occurred was photographing and had this to say:

"Close up: The photographer said 'no one could have imagined' what would happen in the moments after he captured this image

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-South-African-safari-park.html#ixzz3cW693TsM
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Well, after looking at the photo he took showing the lioness with both paws on the outside of the window with her head on a face to face level with the occupant of the vehicle (who was shortly thereafter mauled and killed) I can't see where this was a total surprise. The window is open, the lioness is just inches away and the "wild" lioness attacks and kills the woman in the vehicle. Where is the surprise here?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back