Heather Locklear checks herself in....

You say she has nothing to be depressed about, yet that her depression is situational. In order to suffer from situational depression, you have to have something that is CAUSING that depression, i.e. a divorce, a death, etc.

For all we know, she could have suffered from clinical depression most of her life. It can be kept hidden at times, when we want it to. My coworkers would never imagine that I suffer from clinical depression because 98% of the time, I put on a damn good front.

To those who don't "get" how she can be depressed, you're lucky. You obviously haven't had to deal with this disease personally. It can't be truly understood by someone who hasn't felt it. It can be debilitating. This morning, I woke up in a good mood. Within 15 minutes, I was having random thoughts of driving my car into a tree on the way to work. My brain can be incredibly cruel. And sometimes I want to stand up and scream about how unfair it is that I have this HUGE monkey on my back who does whatever he can to keep me from enjoying the amazing life with which I've been blessed.

:blowkiss:

Depression isn't caused because you're not attractive, poor, etc. Its a chemical thing. She is apparently been on medication, but I've heard that from time to time medication taken for depression needs to be evaluated and/or changed because the body can build up a tolerance to it. She seems to have been having some problems for a bit since that 911 call came up. She could probably hide it better before, because the officers that went to her house said she was fine. A little while longer and she apparently knew that she needed to listen to her doctors.

I get depressed in the wintertime. I hate Christmas and I hate the cold weather. My body and my brain do way better in the summertime, so I kinda know how it feels.

Great post. Glad Heather saw the light.

I know first hand what a horrible thing trying to find the right meds can be. Other people can look at any of us and think that we don't have anything to be depressed about. I have been on over 30 different medications over the years. It is wonderful that she recognizes that she needs help. It's also a bonus for her that she can afford the best treatment for herself. Being depressed and anxious is truly exhausting...much more so than being healthy. I wish her all the best and I hope her boyfriend stands behind her.

I know first hand what a horrible thing trying to find the right meds can be. Other people can look at any of us and think that we don't have anything to be depressed about. I have been on over 30 different medications over the years. It is wonderful that she recognizes that she needs help. It's also a bonus for her that she can afford the best treatment for herself. Being depressed and anxious is truly exhausting...much more so than being healthy. I wish her all the best and I hope her boyfriend stands behind her.

Hugs, my dear. :blowkiss:

Excuse me, let me reword: In the big scheme of things, compared to the average person, it appears that Heather would have no reason to be depressed for she is truly blessed with fame, fortune, good looks and a healthy child.

Second, let me add, depression runs in my family. I in fact feel that I have been depressed all of my life. I have never been treated for it. I fight it. I exercise, which helps. I realize that I probably would have a better quality of life if I got some treatment, but I do not want to deal with side effects of medication. I also have no reason to be depressed as I am living a pretty good life.

Depression has nothing to do with how pretty someone is, or how much money someone makes. It's INSIDE the person..............

You can't bat your pretty eyelashes and make depression run, you can't buy your way out of depression. These people are human too!!! If you had asthma or diabetes, would a bigger house make it go away?

We don't live in her head and in her home. She is the same age as I am and her divorce was just finalized in 2007. She's going to be 47 this year and has now a 2nd failed marriage that involved infidelity and substance abuse. Who knows what she is feeling? Nobody knows what went on her marriage that she is still dealing with? It's difficult gettting older (especially in Hollywood) and her career is based on looks and youth. It's common to be depressed after a divorce. I hope she gets well soon.

ok- going on a limb here, and know I am gonna get flamed- but here is my question- how does someone as successful, beautiful, rich and famous, become depressed? dont get me wrong, I jnow " depression" has no boundries- but how is it possible at her age and wealth to be so anxious and depressed she has to check herself into a clinic :truce:

Well her husband did leave her for one of her best friend's ... Therefore pretty much all at once she lost two of the most important people in her life, and in an extremely hurtful manner. And then the tabloids were ALLLLL over her during this time, not giving her the natural grieving process or any alone time during this trying time.

Not too mention that performing artist's are more prone to suffer from depression/anxiety. Not so sure which comes first ... I know I am ADHD and have symptoms of anxiety and ocd (those i think were just from living in my house though lol), and performing has always been an outlet for me. That being said, (believe it or not folks), some believe that the stress of acting triggers these traits in some people. Kinda a chicken before the egg kind of deal.

People, I know folks with LOTS of money. Fame and fortune. Trust me, that is not what makes you happy !!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can be filthy rich and famous, and still be going through a hard time in life. Not too mention, perhaps this is all genetic/natural. Chemical imbalances. They suck no matter who you are.

Personally, I think GO HEATHER for checking herself in. I know people who don't want to check themselves in/get any help due to the stigma of having a mental disorder. She's showing that it's okay to take care of yourself!!!

I like Heather and I sure hope she starts to feel better soon... :blowkiss: I also don't think it's a chemical inbalance but outside circumstances that is causing her to be depressed and anxious... Hugs to you Heather, I'm on your side.. :blowkiss:

We don't live in her head and in her home. She is the same age as I am and her divorce was just finalized in 2007. She's going to be 47 this year and has now a 2nd failed marriage that involved infidelity and substance abuse. Who knows what she is feeling? Nobody knows what went on her marriage that she is still dealing with? It's difficult gettting older (especially in Hollywood) and her career is based on looks and youth. It's common to be depressed after a divorce. I hope she gets well soon.

LOL I love your icon, it kinda reminds me of this one- (It comes from the movie Girl, Interrupted)

f5da49c4.gif

ETA: sorry about the cursing in it :) I'll remove it it needs to be removed.

Depression has nothing to do with how pretty someone is, or how much money someone makes. It's INSIDE the person..............

You can't bat your pretty eyelashes and make depression run, you can't buy your way out of depression. These people are human too!!! If you had asthma or diabetes, would a bigger house make it go away?
Oh, thanks for the lesson in depression. :rolleyes: I understand where depression comes from. I understand that money, looks and having it all doesn't make a person exempt from depression.

Let me ask you this: Do you think that if she were living in a third world country struggling to stay alive that she would have time to be depressed? I am not picking on Heather because I really like her, always have.

I do not believe that Heather's depression is a chemical imbalance. However, I don't know Heather, and I don't know her history.

If it's depression it's probably because that ugly frickin' Denise Richards face is plastered all over the TV these days and she can't get away from the whole situation. :furious:

If it's depression it's probably because that ugly frickin' Denise Richards face is plastered all over the TV these days and she can't get away from the whole situation. :furious:

Denise Richards is just butt ugly, isn't she? I've always thought Heather was cute though.

Let me ask you this: Do you think that if she were living in a third world country struggling to stay alive that she would have time to be depressed?

No. I think she'd stop "struggling to stay alive."

Again, as has been said repeatedly here: clinical/chronic depression is not something one suffers only if they've got the time or money. It is not some navel-gazing fit of the "blues."

I agree with you. She has nothing to be depressed about. I think that her depression is situational. She probably is having problems in her love life and doesn't feel stability at this point. She is also getting older.

You dont have to HAVE something to be depressed about to be depressed!
Im taking it most of you making these types of comments have never suffered thru depression....its a chemical imbalance, it has nothing to do with situations, or having everything or having nothing...
She was already on medication possibly has been on it for years we dont know how long she has been on it, while her life may seem perfect and glamorous to most of us...she still has every day issues just like the rest of us.
This is coming from someone who has suffered thru depression episodes for years, Your fine one day even on meds and the next....you may want to kill yourself....for no reason its not something that you can just make go away its an illness

We don't live in her head and in her home. She is the same age as I am and her divorce was just finalized in 2007. She's going to be 47 this year and has now a 2nd failed marriage that involved infidelity and substance abuse. Who knows what she is feeling? Nobody knows what went on her marriage that she is still dealing with? It's difficult gettting older (especially in Hollywood) and her career is based on looks and youth. It's common to be depressed after a divorce. I hope she gets well soon.[/QUOTE]

i agree, Dryad....i'm not a big fan of hers, but i do hope she gets everything worked out...

I am surprised (but shouldn't be) at how many people right here at Websleuths suffer or suffered from clinical depression. Add me to the group.

I was (finally!) diagnosed in my mid-thirties but in looking back over my life with a therapist, realize that I had had fairly major depressive episodes going back to my early teens.

My father had it, his brother had it, his mother had it. My son has it. My sister's son has it.

I do extremely well on Zoloft. I particpated in indiviual Cognitive Behavioral Therapy at the time of my initial diagnosis. It was free because I participated in a funded study of depression at a local university.

I have gone for long periods of time without medication - 2,3, even 4 years. In me, a depressive episode is usually triggered by an "event" - a death, a divorce, a job loss, etc. Things that would make anyone depressed. But mine doesn't lift. Fortunately, I know the signs and symptoms to watch for that tell me I need to go back onto medication. (With me it is crying. That's what sends me to my doctor for a prescription.)

My doctor has told me that the current thoughts in the medical world are that if a person has had two or more major depressive episodes in their life they should be on a "maintenance dose" of medication for the rest of their lives. I have not chosen to go that route - yet.

One last thing - at one point I was given citalopram and within 3 months my hair started thinning horribly. I then learned that this is a known side effect of citalopram. I stopped taking it immediately and my hair grew back in. I don't think this is a really common side effect, but it was really scary, so be forewarned.

Best of luck to Heather. Sometimes they want to hospitalize a person in order to give the person a respite from everyday life and also to adjust medications. If she has been drinking along with depression, it would be good for her to be hospitalized.

Oh, thanks for the lesson in depression. :rolleyes: I understand where depression comes from. I understand that money, looks and having it all doesn't make a person exempt from depression.

Let me ask you this: Do you think that if she were living in a third world country struggling to stay alive that she would have time to be depressed? I am not picking on Heather because I really like her, always have.

I do not believe that Heather's depression is a chemical imbalance. However, I don't know Heather, and I don't know her history.

Do people in third world countries not suffer from depression?

And to be quite honest, I don't think you understand depression or you wouldn't be making the comments you're making.

I am surprised (but shouldn't be) at how many people right here at Websleuths suffer or suffered from clinical depression. Add me to the group.

I was (finally!) diagnosed in my mid-thirties but in looking back over my life with a therapist, realize that I had had fairly major depressive episodes going back to my early teens.

My father had it, his brother had it, his mother had it. My son has it. My sister's son has it.

I do extremely well on Zoloft. I particpated in indiviual Cognitive Behavioral Therapy at the time of my initial diagnosis. It was free because I participated in a funded study of depression at a local university.

I have gone for long periods of time without medication - 2,3, even 4 years. In me, a depressive episode is usually triggered by an "event" - a death, a divorce, a job loss, etc. Things that would make anyone depressed. But mine doesn't lift. Fortunately, I know the signs and symptoms to watch for that tell me I need to go back onto medication. (With me it is crying. That's what sends me to my doctor for a prescription.)

My doctor has told me that the current thoughts in the medical world are that if a person has had two or more major depressive episodes in their life they should be on a "maintenance dose" of medication for the rest of their lives. I have not chosen to go that route - yet.

One last thing - at one point I was given citalopram and within 3 months my hair started thinning horribly. I then learned that this is a known side effect of citalopram. I stopped taking it immediately and my hair grew back in. I don't think this is a really common side effect, but it was really scary, so be forewarned.

Best of luck to Heather. Sometimes they want to hospitalize a person in order to give the person a respite from everyday life and also to adjust medications. If she has been drinking along with depression, it would be good for her to be hospitalized.

Though it's hard work CBT is a wonderful gift, huh? :)

I did DBT & I swear by it! I was eventually able to get sober and stop cutting, stop looking for love between some strangers sheets etc etc, I'm sure ya get the point (LOL). DBT taught me coping strategies, alternative behavior choices, insight, cues & triggers of mania and depression. It taught me that I could have a hand in my own recovery but most important, it taught me that I was worth the effort.

I have been on Citalopram (Celexa) for about 6 years and have never had any side effects from it. Medications work differently for everyone and I'm sorry it didn't work for you but I'd hate to hear that someone decided they were not going to use Celexa because it didn't work out for someone else.

It could be what saves their life.. I know it saved mine- and continues to do so.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back