TX - Longview, WhtFem (UP 9863), 41-50, Suicide - Assumed Identity, Dec'10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lori Lee Berens has a facebook page. Started Feb. 17 by her cousin Karen. If she asks about my interest, how much should I share?

Although, you could ask if she has additional pics.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Although I wouldn't randomly approach a family member, in this case cousin has posted on at least 4-5 sites for information about Lori Lee Berens, so I think it would be okay to ask about an additional picture or ask if she wants to come over here to WS to answer questions.

I actually tried to email her yesterday (sent to an email address she publicly posted on a missing forum) but the note bounced back. It must have been a discontinued address.

MLDay.jpg

Mary Louise Day
Missing since January 1, 1980 from Seaside, Monterey County, California
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: February 19, 1968
Age at Time of Disappearance: 12 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8"; 120 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2990dfca.html

Although I wouldn't randomly approach a family member, in this case cousin has posted on at least 4-5 sites for information about Lori Lee Berens, so I think it would be okay to ask about an additional picture or ask if she wants to come over here to WS to answer questions.

I actually tried to email her yesterday (sent to an email address she publicly posted on a missing forum) but the note bounced back. It must have been a discontinued address.

Great idea! We can reach out to her via Facebook if the email doesn't work. Anyone want to do that? I can if no one else is.

An idea I had, that I'm unsure if it's a good one and I also don't have the time right now to pursue (this is my second login just to try to get this post written, sigh) is to look on Facebook for groups that we could post her picture in to see if anyone recognizes her.

For example, where I live, we have a high school fb and a county fb. I browsed a little bit for Scottsdale, but so far all I found were more like information pages that can't be posted on. I was thinking about looking for Scottsdale, Denton, Arlington, and Leonard, but bypassing Longview, since we know she was there under the assumed name. I was planning on contacting admins of any pages I found asking them to just post the picture without any backstory attached and having anyone who recognized her pm the admin with the info. Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to be a few months before I have enough extra time to do this kind of stuff. And now I have to get back to work :-(

An idea I had, that I'm unsure if it's a good one and I also don't have the time right now to pursue (this is my second login just to try to get this post written, sigh) is to look on Facebook for groups that we could post her picture in to see if anyone recognizes her.

For example, where I live, we have a high school fb and a county fb. I browsed a little bit for Scottsdale, but so far all I found were more like information pages that can't be posted on. I was thinking about looking for Scottsdale, Denton, Arlington, and Leonard, but bypassing Longview, since we know she was there under the assumed name. I was planning on contacting admins of any pages I found asking them to just post the picture without any backstory attached and having anyone who recognized her pm the admin with the info. Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to be a few months before I have enough extra time to do this kind of stuff. And now I have to get back to work :-(

That is an interesting idea, but I would check with a mod to make sure it doesn't violate TOS. Just so you know, (if doing this is ok with everyone) there are a few facebook pages for "Class of XX Horizon High" and similar pages for many of the surrounding high school in the areas. XX being different years, of course. That would be a pretty good page to post on.

If you guys want to ask FB admins to post her on their pages, we don't have a problem with that. The only thing is not to say that Websleuths asked for it to be posted there. You can say you saw her on Websleuths, however.

Hope that helps!

One of the reasons I haven't latched on to this one for our Longview case is because what are the chances a 12 yo can survive for a few years, get a new identity and become a "successful" adult? I don't know, but it doesn't seem good. However, I don't want to totally rule out anyone.

A few years ago I would have agreed but after Jaycee Dugard I believe anything is possible.

If you guys want to ask FB admins to post her on their pages, we don't have a problem with that. The only thing is not to say that Websleuths asked for it to be posted there. You can say you saw her on Websleuths, however.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, Kimster. My misgivings about this approach are that my instincts are telling me this woman has an assumed identity due to escaping an abusive situation rather than a criminal past. I realize she is now deceased, but she does have a small child. I go back and forth between wanting her identity discovered so her child will know who her mama really was, and thinking maybe it's better to let sleeping dogs lie, in case this alerts some crazy stalker psycho person she may have been running from and that person ends up getting access to the child.

Thanks, Kimster. My misgivings about this approach are that my instincts are telling me this woman has an assumed identity due to escaping an abusive situation rather than a criminal past. I realize she is now deceased, but she does have a small child. I go back and forth between wanting her identity discovered so her child will know who her mama really was, and thinking maybe it's better to let sleeping dogs lie, in case this alerts some crazy stalker psycho person she may have been running from and that person ends up getting access to the child.

I think it was an abusive situation as well, but still would want the child to know one day.....

It is described that Lori Lee Berens left because of a fight with a sibling- and she was 21 when she left...so it isn't like she left a husband or was a minor under their parents thumb although I guess we can't know exactly what the family was like.
As far as posting on other pages, in regards to dangers of her child:
Yes, there is some concern but the fact is that they would have no custodial rights to the child---if I was a dad to a young child there would be no way I would let her visit with strangers even if they were relatives--so I am less concerned with the situation spoken of above.

JMO of course.

It is described that Lori Lee Berens left because of a fight with a sibling- and she was 21 when she left...so it isn't like she left a husband or was a minor under their parents thumb although I guess we can't know exactly what the family was like.
As far as posting on other pages, in regards to dangers of her child:
Yes, there is some concern but the fact is that they would have no custodial rights to the child---if I was a dad to a young child there would be no way I would let her visit with strangers even if they were relatives--so I am less concerned with the situation spoken of above.

JMO of course.

Abusers can be very manipulative and charming people.

I think the best way to go would be to indentify this woman and the circumstances of her fake ID before whatever family she may have were aware, but that is easier said than done. LE has already put her picture out there, but if I were to personally put it out there some more, and it didn't end well, I would feel really bad about it. Too bad I can't just snap my fingers and know why she chose to 'disappear', it would make it a lot easier to know the best way to proceed.

I haven't re-read all these posts so I'll ask if anyone knows how it was determined that she was born in 1969?

Thank you!

I haven't re-read all these posts so I'll ask if anyone knows how it was determined that she was born in 1969?

Thank you!

It was in her obit. Not sure if it is correct though.

HTH

So, has anyone contacted the cousin? I know some people have reservations about it--- you can see what my opinion is above FWIW.

If not, what should we do now? Keep looking? Give LE the list of possibilities?

If not, what should we do now? Keep looking? Give LE the list of possibilities?

JMO, I don't see anyone among the MP's presented here that look like strong possibles for our Jane Doe.

I would guess that this woman was never reported as a missing person. Maybe a fugitive. Maybe she was fleeing from an abusive relationship. But MOO is that the chances of her being a MP listed in Charley, DoeNet, NAMPN, or NamUs are very remote.

JMO, I don't see anyone among the MP's presented here that look like strong possibles for our Jane Doe.

I would guess that this woman was never reported as a missing person. Maybe a fugitive. Maybe she was fleeing from an abusive relationship. But MOO is that the chances of her being a MP listed in Charley, DoeNet, NAMPN, or NamUs are very remote.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you. Does anyone know if there are lists of fugitives? I have looked but they seem to only post the top ten. My guess is there are tens of thousands of people that have warrants out, so that would be a pretty impossible task and probably a waste of time.
I also imagine that SS investigators have a lot more resources at their disposal than we do and they can't solve it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ncdukefan