Identified! AZ - Phoenix, UID Female, 11-18, 48UFAZ, May 1992 - Shannon Aumock

PonderingThings

Former member
Reaction score
[FONT=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida][SIZE=-1]http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/48ufaz.html[/SIZE][/FONT]

48UFAZ.jpg

Unidentified White Female

* Located on May 28, 1992 in Phoeniz, Arizona
* Cause of death was homicide by strangulation.
* Estimated date of death is May, 1992
* State of Remains: Somewhat advanced mummification

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 13 - 17 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'1 - 5'3"; 100 - 125 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Shoulder-length light-brown hair. The victim wore large rose / pink-colored eyeglasses, which had thick lenses.
* Clothing: She was discovered wearing a Niki Lee long-sleeved, multi-colored floral-print blouse; size 9 black denim stretch pants with black lace trim around the ankles; a black hair bow; and brown tennis shoes.
* Dentals: Available

Case History
Shortly after 1 a.m. on May 28, 1992, Phoenix police, using tracking dogs, found the decomposing body in a desert area commonly used to dump trash, in the 2000 block of East Deer Valley Road.
A man riding an all-terrain vehicle noticed a foul odor coming from a rubbish pile and saw a hand sticking out. He called police, who used tracking dogs to find the body under a sheet of plywood.

http://www.azcentral.com/specials/special14/articles/1122coldcase22.html

Cold case - Woman strangled in '92 still unidentified.

Nov. 22, 2003 12:00 AM

The headline in the May 28, 1992 edition of the Phoenix Gazette read: Police, acting on tip, find body in desert.

The story began: Phoenix police, acting on an anonymous tip, found the body of a person this morning who apparently had been dumped in the desert north of the city several months ago.

"It is possibly a female," a police spokesman was quoted as saying about the body.

When and where
Shortly after 1 a.m. on May 28, 1992, Phoenix police, using tracking dogs, found a decomposing body in a desert area commonly used to dump trash, in the 2000 block of East Deer Valley Road.

Summary
A man riding an all-terrain vehicle noticed a foul odor coming from a rubbish pile and saw a hand sticking out. He called police, who used tracking dogs to find the body under a sheet of plywood. The woman had been dead about six months. Clothed except for one shoe, the woman wore size 9 black pants with lace at the bottom and a flowered-print long-sleeve shirt, and she had a black bow in her hair. The woman had been strangled.

Police displayed the clothing to the public, hoping someone would recognize it.

Detective A.R. Scott said he also called department stores across the nation, trying to find which one sold the clothing brand, Kays of California.

Earlier this year, Phoenix police received an e-mail from a former coroner in Colorado. "I was browsing through missing persons cases and found a possible match for your Jane Doe," the coroner wrote. Police now are trying to determine if the remains might be a female who disappeared from Kansas City in May 1985 at age 14, or a female who vanished from Las Vegas in November 1988 at age 15.

But so far, the body remains unidentified after more than 11 years.

Investigator
Phoenix police Detective A.R. Scott.

What bothers him most about this case
"That she lay this long unidentified," Scott said. "Her family needs some closure. She needs some closure."

New technology's role in this case
Police can take DNA from the hair and teeth of the remains and try to match it to DNA from the missing girls' mothers. Scott is trying to track down the mothers of the two missing girls. Detectives also are looking again at evidence found at the scene to see if it contains DNA from a possible suspect.

How you can help
The woman is described as White, 5 feet 1 inch to 5 feet 3 inches tall with shoulder-length light-brown hair. She wore large glasses with a rose-colored frame and thick lenses.

Call Detective Scott at (602) 262-6141 or Silent Witness at 1-800-343-TIPS. The case number is 1992-20309636.

This article was written in November of 2003, so I have to think that in the past two years they have elimated the possiblility of her being the Kansas City or Las Vegas missing girls.

Thought I'd post this article as its an interesting update.

Both girls are taller than the girl in question. Sometimes I wonder how accurate the given heights are for the missing people. Unless she had a recent doctor's appointment or her parents had a growth chart, I think the hieght could be a guess. If that is the case, I favor the second girl. It makes you wish they said what color her glasses were, doesn't it?

By the way, Pondering things. I noticed a lot of your posts lately, and you have some really good insite! Nice to meet you. :blowkiss:

They rarely mentioned tinted glasses, and when they did they listed them as all kinds of descriptions like "pink" or "colored".

I've recently learned that when they were entered into the system as a possible identifying characteristic they were frequently entered as "eyeglasses" - seems insignificant but when you are doing a search for glasses some search engines don't return eyeglasses!

As for the height Gardenmom I agree with you... mostly its plus or minus 2" but sometimes its a guess based on other evidence. Also, especially with teens, they grow like weeds - seemingly overnight!

Thanks Gardenmom! Nice to meet you too!

I know I'm posting a lot but have been investigating some of these cases for a while and now that I'm registered I finally have a chance to either present them, or discuss them!

Kinda a giddy feeling!
woohoo.gif

I'm kind os surprised that they even checked the two girls because of the dates they went missing and their ages. Unless they weren't sure just how long the girl lay in the garbage. They said probably on 3 months. Did you already look at all the Doe networks possible matches?

No, I haven't completed my "pass through" although I've done a check based on certain criteria. I usually search a couple of different ways... so the answer is no, not yet.

Possible match? This one on first glance "spoke" to me, but there is so much that is off. Ultimately, I don't think its Jennifer... but then... the maybe is still there, so I thought I'd post it.

1. Jane Doe died in May 1992, Jennifer was last seen in October 1991 - she was travelling at the time. Did she meet someone and travelled with them, not contacting her family? ...maybe Did the mummification of Jane Doe make the death estimate inaccurate? ...maybe

2. Jane Doe is listed as having "light brown hair" and Jennifer is listed as having "blonde" hair. The pics at the Doe Network indicate she dyed it alot... is it possible that she's a dark blonde/light brown haired? (Yes I've seen hair color listed in this confused manner before).

3. Jane Doe is listed as being 5'1-5'3", Jennifer is listed as 5'5", is that accurate or a guess?

4. There is no mention that Jane Doe has a gap in her teeth that is very obvious in Jennifer's pics.

5. Her glasses appear to be large, but they don't look tinted. Are these the glasses she was travelling with?

6. It may just be the hairstyle, and glasses style, but the age progessed pic, on the Doe Network, indicates a longer chin than the non aged progressed pics do, also the nose is wrong on the sketch, but that might be because it was a guess on the artist's part.

48UFAZ.jpg
JPentilla.jpg

Jennifer Lynn Pentilla

http://doenetwork.us/cases/302dfnm.html
Missing since October 17, 1991 from Deming, Luna County, New Mexico.
Classification: Endangered Missing

# Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: April 4, 1973
# Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
# Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5; 125 pounds
# Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; blue eyes.
# Marks, Scars: A mole on her left forearm. Scars on the tips of her index and middle fingers.
# Dentals: She has a gap between her upper front teeth.
# Nickname: Jen
# Other: Blood type O-Positive. She wears eyeglasses brand name Lazza Fortell, with brown frames.
# Jewelry: A silver ring with the words "Loves Jesus", and a watch with "Snap Crackle pop" figures on it.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Pentilla is originally from Great Falls, Montana. She moved to Missoula, Montana shortly before leaving for New Mexico in 1991.
When she left Missoula in late September 1991 bound for San Diego, Jennifer Pentilla carried her bicycle and two Bibles. Pentilla planned to meet a missionary group and assist the poor. She left Los Cruse, New Mexico in mid-October of 1991 and was last seen in Deming on October 17, 1991.
Pentilla was riding her white Fuji mountain bicycle and carrying a backpack and camping gear. From October 1, 1991, to October 13, Pentilla called her mother eight times, reporting her progress and her ambition to make it into Mexico. On October 17, however, Pentilla called home from Deming, N.M., just 30 miles north of the Mexican border, to say she'd changed her plans. She'd heard that a woman alone in Mexico might be in danger, so she'd decided to go to Minnesota to see a friend.
About a year later, on September 4, 1992, two dove hunters found Pentilla's camping equipment and journal under a tarp in a remote area between Hatch and Deming off of State Road 26, about 46 miles northeast of Deming.

Ok. I've finished my searches and these are the possibilities I've come up with. The closest match is Amanda, in my opinion, but the chin is off. Still don't know.....

PonderingThings said:
Ok. I've finished my searches and these are the possibilities I've come up with. The closest match is Amanda, in my opinion, but the chin is off. Still don't know.....
I didn't find anything for her either. I searched 1990, 1991, and 1992.

Keep in mind that when doing reconstructions, they use averages of skin and fat pad thicknesses. Also, for instance the girl who was on the bicycle (also hitchhikers or those involved in drugs)- being very active every day, most likely not always eating regularly- she likely lost weight. Also, girls about the 14-16 their faces will often change somewhat in a year or two as they age. The face will lose it's 'babyfat' and appear longer, thinner. That could have put her under the average of skin/fat thickness. That would have altered her face somewhat as women often change in the face, when losing weight. A round face, may appear to be longer. A narrow face, may appear to have more pronounced cheekbones, chin and nose.

I don't know if she's been ruled out or not, but I thought I'd put it out there.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/myers_brandy.html

Brandy went missing only two days before the Jane Doe was found, and the height/weight are a little off, but I checked Google maps and the places where Brandy disappeared and where the body was found is a straight shot up N. Cave Creek Road.

http://www.identifyus.org/report.php?p=individual&i=840

Minimum Age:15 yearsMaximum Age:17 years

Clothing On Body:dark jeans with lace trim at the bottom of pant legs (size 9, 28" waist, 29" inseam), floral shirt, panties size 5, socks, white bra size 32B

Footwear:
brown Northwestern tennis shoes size 4.5

Eyewear:
large, round, pink-framed glasses found at the scene in a blue carrying case

Head Hair:brown, wearing a black hair bow attached to a silver hair clip

http://doenetwork.org/cases/48ufaz.html

(On donetwork it doesnt list the glasses found with the body?!)

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 13 - 17 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'1 - 5'3"; 100 - 125 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Shoulder-length light-brown hair.
  • Clothing: She was discovered wearing a Niki Lee long-sleeved, multi-colored floral-print blouse; size 9 black denim stretch pants with black lace at the bottom of pant legs (size 9, 28" waist, 29" inseam); a black hair bow attached to a silver hair clip ; panties size 5, socks, white bra size 32B and brown Northwestern tennis shoes size 4.5 .
  • Dentals: Available Mixed dentition 1: All adult premolars (bicuspids) missing congenitally; deciduous teeth retained 2) filling on tooth T and on tooth #18 2) 3rd molars congenitally missing 3) tooth #25=buccal spot of enamel hypoplasia and slight mesio-lingual torsion.
  • DNA: nucDNA Profile available in FBI NMPDD
Case History
Shortly after 1 a.m. on May 28, 1992, Phoenix police, using tracking dogs, found the decomposing body in a desert area commonly used to dump trash, in the 2000 block of East Deer Valley Road.
A man riding an all-terrain vehicle noticed a foul odor coming from a rubbish pile and saw a hand sticking out. He called police, who used tracking dogs to find the body under a sheet of plywood.

Could this girl be a possibility?

Amanda Gail Slaughter
Missing since April 28, 1991 from Orangefield, Orange County, Texas.
Classification: Endangered Runaway

Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: August 13, 1976
Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7; 140 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes. Slaughter wears eyeglasses.
Marks, Scars: She has a suture scar on her inner right calf.
Dentals/DNA: Available
Circumstances of Disappearance
Slaughter packed all of her belongings and ran away from her family's Orangefield, Texas home on April 28, 1991. She left in the middle of the night and took all of the cash from her parents' wallets.
She has a history of running away, but has never been absent for this length of time. Slaughter may be in the company of a 19-year-old White male.
The night she left, her friend down the street did, too. Rumors were the girls were dancing in Houston. A year later, the girlfriend returned. Amanda didn't. The friend wouldn't say where she had been or what had happened to Amanda.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/365dftx.html

wow her feet are VERY small that could be a clue a size 4.5 is small so, I think this would put her on the younger age sepctrum

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back