GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
OT/////I attended an informal event Saturday night that Roy 'Coop' Cooper, the attorney general of NC was also attending. I wanted so badly to get him aside for 10 minutes to discuss some of these domestic murder cases that seem to be so prevalent in NC in recent years. He didn't stay but a few minutes, had a female body guard with him, and his driver. Just about the very moment I was able to start chatting, his body guard spirited him out the door and into his car. I was so disappointed that I wasn't able to 'get his ear' for just a few minutes--most especially to get his opinion on how these defendants were being prosecuted.

Good Morning All,
Seems the news and posts on this case have slowed down. The link/article below was released this morning by WCTI channel 12 news. It states that 2 juveniles were removed from the Kinston home and placed with family members. Does this mean the 2 little boys are no longer with GH's parents? Still don't know where the baby girl is......

Link: http://www.wcti12.com/news/28866696/detail.html

One Suspect In Ackerson Murder Due In Court
By Erin Butherus / Producer
POSTED: 8:01 am EDT August 15, 2011
LENOIR COUNTY -- The woman charged with the dismemberment of a Kinston mother is due back in a Raleigh courtroom Monday.
Amanda Hayes and her husband Grant Hayes are accused of murdering Laura Ackerson and dumping her body in Texas.
27-year-old Ackerson's body was discovered July 24.
A judge told the Hayes that they were "looking at a potential death penalty or life without parole."
Court documents show that a machete has been included as evidence in the case.
Two juveniles, who were inside the 1505 Holman Street residence at the time the two suspects were taken into custody, were assessed by Child Protective Services personnel and have been released to the custody of family members.
Ackerson is an ex-girlfriend of Grant Hayes and the mother of two of his children.

Hi, East - That article is not written well, seems to me. I wouldn't call a 3 y/old and a 1 y/old (those ages of the two boys is my bad estmate) "juveniles." Does this mean the little boys and the infant were elsewhere? Who knoze? Could this be AH's daughter and a friend? Logic says that it was probably the little boys, but --- "juveniles" ??? Maybe we'll get a better update from another news source...

And kudos to you, East, for trying to corral the Coop -- you tried, and that's all you could do. We should all just start firing emails to him and his office. No blame -- just concern. But in this time of budget squeezes, etc., it might not improve for some time. But elections occur regardless of budgets, huh? I think Cooper is doing a good job, and I'll very likely vote for him again...

Take a breath & smile.

And things are starting to settle down in this case. Unless something weird occurs, or new charges are applied, we may already be in that all-to-familiar "wait state." But there's others out there that we can look into.... Abaroa is coming up ~~ sometime~~ and there's Zahra, and Shaniya Davis, and Addison, and Jason Young is gonna crank up before we know it in October... and Williford in March... oh, the list in just NC is too, too long.... :banghead: .....:maddening:

icon7.gif

Interesting that Amanda's back in court. For what?

I interpreted the statement about the juveniles to be intentionally vague from the source. In other words, the children have been "assessed" by CPS and "released" to relatives. They could have been returned to Patsy Hayes or released to some other family member.

As an aside, why does the AG have a body guard for an informal gathering?

Interesting that Amanda's back in court. For what?

I interpreted the statement about the juveniles to be intentionally vague from the source. In other words, the children have been "assessed" by CPS and "released" to relatives. They could have been returned to Patsy Hayes or released to some other family member.

As an aside, why does the AG have a body guard for an informal gathering?

BBM
Boodles -- Methinks you are exactly right -- I just wasn't thinking like a public sevant/LEO/social-worker/reporter....
icon11.gif
... I'm sure they are told to be vague when dealing with minors, especially since there are so many weirdos out there. Good thinking.... altho I wonder if "minors" would have been a little better and even more vague than "juveniles," since juvenile, to me, anyway, connotes a 10-17 y/o human being. Yes, I do tend to over-analyze. Anyway, thanks for clearing it up for me!
icon12.gif

I think that several of the top-of-the-pyramid state personnel have drivers/bodyguards. Again with the weirdos. I remember running into Gov. Jim Hunt at a local independent (bless its heart!) bookstore. He was Christmas shopping, not speaking. He and I spoke just a bit after I started the conversation, and there was a bodyguard near, but not too near him; there was also a driver in a black SUV with the motor running directly in front of the store front door. Of course, it was the Guv, but the AG is 'way up there, too. Lotsa nuts in this world.

BBM
Boodles -- Methinks you are exactly right -- I just wasn't thinking like a public sevant/LEO/social-worker/reporter....
icon11.gif
... I'm sure they are told to be vague when dealing with minors, especially since there are so many weirdos out there. Good thinking.... altho I wonder if "minors" would have been a little better and even more vague than "juveniles," since juvenile, to me, anyway, connotes a 10-17 y/o human being. Yes, I do tend to over-analyze. Anyway, thanks for clearing it up for me!
icon12.gif

I think that several of the top-of-the-pyramid state personnel have drivers/bodyguards. Again with the weirdos. I remember running into Gov. Jim Hunt at a local independent (bless its heart!) bookstore. He was Christmas shopping, not speaking. He and I spoke just a bit after I started the conversation, and there was a bodyguard near, but not too near him; there was also a driver in a black SUV with the motor running directly in front of the store front door. Of course, it was the Guv, but the AG is 'way up there, too. Lotsa nuts in this world.

You might be surprised at the number of AG's that have been attacked, wounded, and killed. People hate them and blame them when things don't go their way. Some judges have body guards too. Especially during high profile cases or some cases involving the death penalty.

Yeppers, Jeannie - Just what I was thinking. I don't know how far down the pecking order of state officials that bodyguards or drivers go, but it's necessary in today's world. And yes, certainly judges would probably qualify at least from time to time. NC Supremes during certain cases/hearings? Chief of Police in Raleigh or Charlotte or other LEO's? Maybe even defense attys. in some cases as well. We live in a tuff world at times, don't we?!

Ugh... a machete...

I remember reading as well that the LEOs or some source said that they didn't think a machete had been used. So, who knoze??

I do know that the investigators conducting a SW take a lot of items, many of which are never mentioned or heard about again. I'm feel sure that the ones conducting this SW did the same. Not to do so would have been criticized by "everyone" and viewed as negligent. -- if I had been conducting the search, I certainly would have taken it. That thing must have been mighty, mighty sharp to do the job. I wonder where they found it -- in a house where two toddlers rattled around all over the place.

Who would not have thrown away the machete or whatever cutting device was used?

Ultimately, it does not matter what item was used for the body dismemberment -- altho I sure hope they have the cutting device that was used since juries now seem to want every single detail covered to convict -- but I'm not buying the machete yet, but it would be the weapon of choice, seems to me... quiet, strong, etc. ??

Hey I just wanted to link to the latest story on WRAL today. Here it is:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10021122/

Sorry for linking and running! I'm a local lurker that follows along but as a homeschool mom to 2, I don't get much time to chime in. I just wanted to thank all of you for posting as much information as you do.

:welcome4:======> Skaylie - We're glad to have you any time you can join us. Thanks for the link, and please jump in as often as you can. (Give 'em a tuff math problem & put them to thinkin' and share your thoughts or questions with us!)

:websleuther: ..... :balloons: ..... :greetings:

Hey I just wanted to link to the latest story on WRAL today. Here it is:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10021122/

Sorry for linking and running! I'm a local lurker that follows along but as a homeschool mom to 2, I don't get much time to chime in. I just wanted to thank all of you for posting as much information as you do.

According to the warrant, it appears that they were only seeking access to one of LA's accounts, presumably the most recently active ("ljackerson@gmail.com"). Recall from a previous post that in Nov 2010, LA had submitted the request below to the Gmail support team in order to regain access a previous account (apparently "lackerson@gmail.com", which was one of hers), which she claims GH had previously accessed and deleted and that it contained material evidence for her custody suit. I hope the authorities are also attempting to search the older account information if it still available from Google.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=53de719e3a90e52c&hl=en

Wow, I had to do some hunting to find this one... Way in the back

Awaiting justice for Lauren

From today's ENC Today, Sept. 7:
Coroners can't conclude cause of death from Ackerson's autopsy
September 07, 2011 12:00 AM
Wesley Brown
Staff Writer

<mod snip>
Dr. Nobby C. Mambo, a chief pathologist with the Galveston County Medical Examiner&#8217; Office in Texas, declared the dismembered 27-year-old died from a murder of &#8220;undetermined means,&#8221; according to a copy of Ackerson&#8217;s autopsy obtained by The Free Press Monday.

While Mambo could not conclude exactly how Ackerson was killed, he stated X-rays performed on her thorax, lower torso and left leg &#8212; the three body parts examined in the report &#8212; came back &#8220;negative for projectiles.&#8221; An inspection of her heart, trachea, esophagus and right lung found no evidence of Ackerson suffering from traumatic injuries prior to her death.

What he did discover was &#8220;jagged&#8221; cuts consistent with &#8220;tool markings&#8221; along the skin of Ackerson&#8217;s neck, abdomen, lower hip and knee where she was amputated.
<mod snip>
http://www.enctoday.com/news/conclude-76074-kfpress-coroners-death.html

http://www2.wnct.com/news/2011/sep/07/ackerson-autopsy-results-inconclusive-ar-1365314/

Sigh.. I guess this means it'll be a he said / she said
I wonder if GH and his wife will turn on each other?
I wonder if they'll claim it was an accident?
Sigh....more tax dollars spent on 2 murderers :(

They better have their story down pat or they are in trouble. If one says it was an accident and we panicked and the other says she attacked me and it was self defense the gloves are on! Either way they dismembered her and tried to hid the crime. I hope NC has a really stiff penalty for that.

They better have their story down pat or they are in trouble. If one says it was an accident and we panicked and the other says she attacked me and it was self defense the gloves are on! Either way they dismembered her and tried to hid the crime. I hope NC has a really stiff penalty for that.

BBM
We do. It's called Murder in the First Degree, a Class A1 Felony -- of course, you know that, JC! (I don't see how it could be anything less for them unless one or both of them are allowed to plead down to 2nd Degree.) As for the dismemberment -- which I think is your real question, I don't know -- I'll have to do more research to see if there is anything in the Statutes about it... I do think something is being considered, IIRC.
icon5.gif
:waitasec:

People can be so twisted.

And I haven't seen/heard anything new about the children...

§ 14&#8209;17. Murder in the first and second degree defined; punishment.
A murder which shall be perpetrated by means of a nuclear, biological, or chemical weapon of mass destruction as defined in G.S. 14&#8209;288.21, poison, lying in wait, imprisonment, starving, torture, or by any other kind of willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing, or which shall be committed in the perpetration or attempted perpetration of any arson, rape or a sex offense, robbery, kidnapping, burglary, or other felony committed or attempted with the use of a deadly weapon shall be deemed to be murder in the first degree, a Class A felony, and any person who commits such murder shall be punished with death or imprisonment in the State's prison for life without parole as the court shall determine pursuant to G.S. 15A&#8209;2000, except that any such person who was under 18 years of age at the time of the murder shall be punished with imprisonment in the State's prison for life without parole.
All other kinds of murder, including that which shall be proximately caused by the unlawful distribution of opium or any synthetic or natural salt, compound, derivative, or preparation of opium, or cocaine or other substance described in G.S. 90&#8209;90(1)d., or methamphetamine, when the ingestion of such substance causes the death of the user, shall be deemed murder in the second degree, and any person who commits such murder shall be punished as a Class B2 felon. ...."

BBM

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-17.html

Facebook & Email info Seized in Probe of Kingston mom's murder

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10157413/

In search warrants returned Monday afternoon, detectives asked for permission to obtain all data from the social networking page of Grant Ruffin Hayes, as well as data from a Hotmail account belonging to him. The warrants, however, do not offer any new information in the case.

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Facebook__Email_Accounts_Seized_In__130212373.html

Raleigh police have seized Facebook and Hotmail information from accounts belonging to a man accused of killing a Kinston mother this summer.

Raleigh police served search warrants also to Microsoft Corporation for Hayes' Hotmail account. In both cases the court documents say they seized "account records" from the computer companies.

An affidavit from police said they were looking for emails that may contain evidence of a crime, or others which could reveal planning or motivation for the woman's murder. It says a friend of Ackerson's said the woman often communicated with Hayes via email and "the e-mails were being saved for the child custody hearings."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member