Dynamic Ping Maps for Google Earth/Maps

shadowraiths

LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special
Staff member
Reaction score
For those interested in trying their hand at GIS profiling, I've set up dynamic kml outputs for Google Earth or Google Maps (take your pick) from the ping records for June 15th through June 28th.

Instructions
Google Earth:
Enter a url in one of the following usage formats and...
select google earth to open the file

Or

save the file to your hard drive and then open the file from within google earth​
Google Maps

1) go to google maps
2) log in
3) create a new map
4) select import
5) enter the url in one of the following usage formats
Example usage formats are as follows:

Once you've arrived at the combo that seems to make sense, simply save your map. Hth!

These are pretty cool shadow..... Good idea!

Looking at the "All Pings" map in Google Maps, from a quick perusal it seems like there are a couple errors, maybe in the Lat/Lon input.

On the 19th at 16:52:42 there's a ping way west, but a few seconds later there's one way east. I think the one way west is incorrect.

On the 27th at 13:27:22 there's a ping way south, a minute later there's one way north. I think the south one is incorrect.

Also see a couple on the 20th and 27th way west, by Windermere, that may be incorrect. Also see a few more on the north side that may be incorrect....

You may have gotten ahold of some incorrect Lat/Lon coordinates, I think there was a conversion done that initially had some errors in it due to a bad OCR read.

A lot of them do look right though, just a few bad apples in the bunch. :)

These are pretty cool shadow..... Good idea!

Looking at the "All Pings" map in Google Maps, from a quick perusal it seems like there are a couple errors, maybe in the Lat/Lon input.

On the 19th at 16:52:42 there's a ping way west, but a few seconds later there's one way east. I think the one way west is incorrect.

On the 27th at 13:27:22 there's a ping way south, a minute later there's one way north. I think the south one is incorrect.

Also see a couple on the 20th and 27th way west, by Windermere, that may be incorrect. Also see a few more on the north side that may be incorrect....

You may have gotten ahold of some incorrect Lat/Lon coordinates, I think there was a conversion done that initially had some errors in it due to a bad OCR read.

A lot of them do look right though, just a few bad apples in the bunch. :)
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not surprised there is some incorrect data, actually. There are a total of 598 ping records for these dates, and while I ran a cleaner on the data, so to speak, there were def some results that seem off. I did check the above two you mentioned and the 27th (way south) is correct. It's on page 81 if you have all of the ping files merged.

As an aside and wrt GIS profiling, I was working on stats & graphs output for the data. Just got a wild hair and decided to try my hand at some kml output. Now, it's back to my original task at hand (the stats & graphs). ^_~

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not surprised there is some incorrect data, actually. There are a total of 598 ping records for these dates, and while I ran a cleaner on the data, so to speak, there were def some results that seem off. I did check the above two you mentioned and the 27th (way south) is correct. It's on page 81 if you have all of the ping files merged.

As an aside and wrt GIS profiling, I was working on stats & graphs output for the data. Just got a wild hair and decided to try my hand at some kml output. Now, it's back to my original task at hand (the stats & graphs). ^_~

Hi Shadow - I just looked at the original docs, that ping way south is incorrect - it is up by TonE's house, same tower as the previous ping. If you are working off a transferred doc, there are a few errors in there.

Not trying to be picky, but if a noob sees that, I can see a whole thread going on about why she was down in that area, when she actually wasn't.

I thank you for your work on these - I think that by looking at all the data in different ways, we may see something interesting! Look forward to seeing the stats & graph. :)

Question: do we feel sure the 11am ping on the 21st is correct? It's only a 1.5 from the Boggy creek road location that those 2 men allegedly saw her at.

Question: do we feel sure the 11am ping on the 21st is correct? It's only a 1.5 from the Boggy creek road location that those 2 men allegedly saw her at.

On the 21st at 11:00 A.M. she was at TonE's. Here's the lat long:
28.5993583 N 81.30325 W

Okay, I think I corrected most of them (at least the ones that were noticeably wrong). I also added a waypt group called, "crime scene" to provide some context. This group contains the anthony home, Lee's home, Tony L's home, sawgrass, amscot and the tow place.

Kml is way kewl! For those using google earth, I've added a animation feature to the ping kml. Instructions are as follows:

Enter the following url into your browser address bar:
Code:
http://crimemap.crimsonshadows.net/pings?who=canthony&animate=true
or simply click the below link (which is the same as the above).
Select google earth to open the file

Or

save the file to your hard drive and then open the file from within google earth.

When google earth launches, you will see a "time slider" at the top of the screen. You can either use the slider to move to different points in time, or click the "play" button to the right of the slider.

If you choose to do the latter, I would suggest you slow down the playback. To do this, click on the little "clock face" which will pop up an options control panel. Move the animation speed to the far left (slower) and click "OK." Once you have done that, simply click the "play" button and the pings will dis/appear as the slider moves from the 15th through the 28th.​

NB: The animation bit only works with GoogleEarth.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back