GUILTY TX - Emma Thompson, 4, dies with STD, skull fracture, Spring, 27 June 2009

Defense lawyers for Lucas Coe, a Houston man accused of raping his girlfriend’s 4-year-old daughter shortly before her June 2009 death argued this morning that the girl suffered vaginal trauma because of a straddle fall.

Coe’s attorney, Rick DeToto, pointed to testimony by gynecologist Dr. Michael Heard, who examined autopsy photos and reports on the body of Emma Thompson. Heard testified that the child’s vaginal area had abrasions consistent with a fall.
“The abrasions he pointed out are not consistent with sexual assault,” DeToto told jurors.

Prosecutors maintained the 28-year-old Coe spent weeks babysitting his girlfriend’s children, then raped the pre-schooler as other children swam in a backyard pool.
“He’s not going to go right in there and rape her,” said Assistant Harris County District Attorney Colleen Barnett. “He’s going to groom her.”

In a whisper to jurors, Barnett said Coe worked to lure the child then cleaned up the crime scene. “That little girl probably bled everywhere,” Barnett said.

Jurors in visiting state District Judge Doug Shaver’s court began deliberating Coe’s fate after closing arguments. He is charged with super aggravated sexual assault of a child and could be convicted of a lesser charge of indecency with a child.

“She was dying a slow, painful death due to blunt force trauma to her abdomen,” Barnett said.

Prosecutors said Young lied to investigators about whether Coe had been living with her and babysitting the girl. Coe is not charged in her death. Barnett told jurors Coe was prosecuted for the super aggravated charge rather than murder because it carries a potentially stricter punishment.

I really do get confused about how charges work. what is the max sentence for what this is being charged with, and if he walks can they bring murder charges later?

if he does NOT walk, can they bring murder charges later? I was under the impression there is no statute of limitation on a murder? is it only the first degree kind?

I just wondered, remembering darlie routier was actually only charged for the death of one of the children....so the DA could fix what went wrong and charge for the other death if she walked, which she did not.

eta read what you posted as I was posting this, lcoastmom...I am not sure that makes me feel better or not...maybe....I agree, the more the better...

I think the prosecution must be weak, because the case is not especially if there was a mix of his DNA and hers in a blood spot AND his semen on her blankets and pillow.

I think he decided to knock her out, and then "what the heck, might as well rape her" seeing as how she could not resist any longer, or ever be able to tell. I think he just pounded the daylights out of her simply because he is rattlesnake mean.

And so is Abby. What kind of woman is she in the end? Look at what she gave up for some arm candy and a permanent STD.

This case has wounded me beyond reason; I cannot even imagine the suffering of those who knew and loved Emma.

If any local media is out there, please debrief us when the trial is over. Because we are gobsmacked.

I really do get confused about how charges work. what is the max sentence for what this is being charged with, and if he walks can they bring murder charges later?

The maximum is life (no parole) the minimum is 25 years (no parole) - if found guilty of super aggravated assault...

if he does NOT walk, can they bring murder charges later? I was under the impression there is no statute of limitation on a murder? is it only the first degree kind?

Murder charges can always be added - but I'll be surprised as all get out if that happens - unless it can proved someone in the DA's office acted improperly in bringing the charges that they decided to file - even then I will be surprised... His lawyer will say "you had your chance, it's not his fault you didn't act on it..."

I just wondered, remembering darlie routier was actually only charged for the death of one of the children....so the DA could fix what went wrong and charge for the other death if she walked, which she did not.

eta read what you posted as I was posting this, lcoastmom...I am not sure that makes me feel better or not...maybe....I agree, the more the better...

Sorry, I went back to searching and missed this - used Blue to answer above

I agree more is better - IMO they would not have been found innocent, but if they got a mistrial or hung jury - they could have tried again or settled on lesser charges. Still IMO it would have been worth the try!

What Colleen said today is he could be convicted of a lesser charge of "indecency with a child", if they don't find him guilty of super aggravated. I'll be surprised if that happens in light of the injury - if there was only the HPV, no rape, that might be reasonable.

(He is still facing charges on the crime of sexual abuse of his daughter - unsure of what the charges will be and physical/emotional abuse of the lil boy.)

I believe they should have thrown the book at both of them, Coe murdered this baby as much as if he had used a gun. She became his accomplice when she went out and bought and used super glue on this baby, washed away the evidence and failed to give her the needed medical care she deserved.

I believe she was found guilty of a lessor charge because of the questions brought up in trial, the failure to bring up certain evidence that would have implicated her.

They were both originally charged with the same crime - how could the state allow her daughter to speak for the defense of Abby but for the prosecution of Coe?

Fingers are crossed! I hope this ends soon!

Emma's sister is going to have a tough time of it...I cant imagine having to point the finger at my own mother...which is likely why they didnt do that to her. JMO.

I am going to out Barnett one last time-I spoke with her on the day of Abby's sentencing because a hard working sleuther had managed to come up with a headstone for Emma at no charge to bio dad. Barnett told me flat out that there was no need because the DA's office had taken up a collection.

Where is it? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Emma's sister is going to have a tough time of it...I cant imagine having to point the finger at my own mother...which is likely why they didnt do that to her. JMO.

I agree. I don't think she should have been used in either trial. When she gets older she is going to understand what part her mother played in the death of her sister - I believe it was wrong to use her by the defense of her mom and the prosecution of Coe.

Ann said she provided an important time line (have no idea what else she was asked or said except to speak about the MST BDRM door being locked.)

If I believed that was all that was asked of her, I wouldn't feel this way - but my gut is she was used and IMO that is wrong!

I just saw the head line Coe Found guilty!!!!!!!!!!!!!

guilty of WHAT though?? I cant stand it if its of the lesser charge!

I got so excited when I saw Young was guilty but it turned out to be of a much lesser charge, I cried all night for baby emma, there has to be some justice somewhere!

http://www.kbtx.com/news/headlines/103450134.html

Jury Finds Coe Guilty in Child Rape Case
**UPDATE**A jury has found Lucas Coe guilty of sexually assaulting a four-year-old shortly before the child's death. Punishment phase begins Wednesday. Regardless of the sentence, Coe would not be eligible for parole

Coe was found guilty of super aggravated sexual assault. The heightened charge means he won't be eligible for parole.

Thank you, God! Let's hope the DA's strategy works and the jury gives him the max, ensuring that he never steps foot out of prison alive! Sending lots of prayers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

emma2-2.jpg

Well that was easy.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to the members of the jury who will never ever be able to scrub those images-you did the right thing.

OK Houston, we need a post mortem on this case...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back