FL FL - Fort Lauderdale, WhtFem 398UFFL, 21-35, overdose, butterfly tattoo, Dec'88

JupiterAmmon

Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 398UFFL

91e3d596-a079-4c07-8a1a-f7757621c8f5.jpg

Unidentified White Female

The victim was discovered on December 27, 1988 in Ft. Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida
Estimated Date of Death: 12 hours prior

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 25-40 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4"; 108 lbs
Distinguishing Characteristics: Shoulder length, curly, reddish brown hair; grayish brown or hazel eyes.
Tattoos: A blue butterfly tattoo in the front pelvic area.
Clothing/Jewelry: Blue jeans and striped pink and white sweater. She wasn't wearing shoes, but her feet were clean. A yellow metal ring, with a clear stone and a yellow metal Seiko wrist watch.
Fingerprints: Available.

Tattoo
398uffl2.jpg

Case History
The victim was located behind a convenience store at 5190 South State Road 7, in unincorporated Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
Her death was due to an accidental cocaine overdose. Her body was dumped at the location.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Broward County Medical Examiners Office
Investigator Edwina Johnson / Investigator Bob Keys
954-327-6500

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:
1988-01993

NCIC Number:
U-340576438
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

DOENETWORK:www.doenetwork.org/cases/398uffl.html
NAMUS:https://identifyus.org/cases/1194

Possible Matches:

Tammy L. Fields

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/fields_tammy.html

www.doenetwork.org/cases/902dfmo.html

And

Kathleen Murphy

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/murphy_kathleen.html

www.doenetwork.org/cases/1186dftx.html

Both of these women fit height range, are close in weight range, have butterfly tattoo, and similar likeness to JD.

But both have weaknesses in the match:

Tammy Fields
- has green eyes,
- has another tattoo in groin area missing on doe
- low end of age range (TF would be 22, Doe est. to be 25-40)
- scar on abdomen not present on doe

Kathleen Murphy:
- blue eyes
- skin graft scars
- thought to be taken against her will
- missing for 12 years before doe was found

I've had Sharon Pinegar and this UID on my tentative possibles list for awhile, but was never too confident about it.

pinegar_sharon.jpg
pinegar_sharon3.jpg

Her facial shape and placement of the facial features is spot-on . Her nose is spot-on (i.e., to the postmortem photo, not the recon). Her overall resemblance is OK, but not striking. It appears that she liked to change hairstyles.

Her vital stats are reasonably close. She is a couple of years over the upper age limit, her height is within an inch. The UID is not as heavy as her listed weight, but cocaine abuse (which was her cause of death) could explain the weight loss.

No mention of tattoos.

But her narrative says that she may have been headed for Florida after being last seen in Texas.

Possible Matches:

Tammy L. Fields

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/fields_tammy.html

www.doenetwork.org/cases/902dfmo.html

And

Kathleen Murphy

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/murphy_kathleen.html

www.doenetwork.org/cases/1186dftx.html

Both of these women fit height range, are close in weight range, have butterfly tattoo, and similar likeness to JD.

But both have weaknesses in the match:

Tammy Fields
- has green eyes,
- has another tattoo in groin area missing on doe
- low end of age range (TF would be 22, Doe est. to be 25-40)
- scar on abdomen not present on doe

Kathleen Murphy:
- blue eyes
- skin graft scars
- thought to be taken against her will
- missing for 12 years before doe was found

IMO, Tammy fields has a much rounder face, and a significant margin between her eyes and her temples, whereas Jane Doe has very little width from eyes to temples. She also has a much weaker chin than Jane Doe.

Kathleen more closely resembles Jane Doe, although I also don't think that she is as narrow from eyes to temples as Jane Doe.

Thanks for the Postmortem link, I did not find that! I think Pinegar is a great possible match for this doe. The nose is definitely spot on. I think she looks younger than her age, and the ruled out possible matches also have no mention of tattoo. I like the Florida connection also. I think it is worth an email to LE!

Thanks for the Postmortem link, I did not find that! I think Pinegar is a great possible match for this doe. The nose is definitely spot on. I think she looks younger than her age, and the ruled out possible matches also have no mention of tattoo. I like the Florida connection also. I think it is worth an email to LE!

Unfortunately, this is a Broward County case where all submissions seem to hit a brick wall. Perhaps I should approach this from the MP side.

Carl,

Your reconstruction of this Doe looks like Sharon Pinegar!! I say submit it!! If you receive no help from Broward County contact that is listed on Sharon's charley page. (Des Moines PD) I can't understand why some LE don't want to bother with these unidentified Does....

Carl,

Your reconstruction of this Doe looks like Sharon Pinegar!! I say submit it!! If you receive no help from Broward County contact that is listed on Sharon's charley page. (Des Moines PD) I can't understand why some LE don't want to bother with these unidentified Does....

I think you should submit it as well.

I have seen them be off as much as ten years on the estimated age.

I left a message with Sgt Mark Russells of the Des Moines PD.

Let's see if he calls back. :)

Carl,

With Sharon's hairstyle do and her eyes made-up like Sharon's she looks even more like Sharon Pinegar.

2146636650045078242S425x425Q851.jpg
pinegar_sharon.jpg

ETA: And conversely, here is Sharon Pinegar with Curly Hair and her eye makeup removed.

2434373690045078242S200x200Q851.jpg

I just got my call back from Det. Russells. He says that there is no NCIC record for Sharon Pinegar, and the only record that De Moines has on her are some minor LE contacts in the late 1960's (none of which were serious enough to require fingerprinting).

He did google her name prior to calling me, and found this thread. He also saw the website link to SharonPinegar.com that I provided in my previous post, so he left a message with them to contact him.

But in a nutshell, this is not a Des Moines missing persons case despite what is said in her Charley file. If she was last seen in Texas, then her MP case would have been the responsibility of the locale in which she was last seen. He said that he doesn't believe that they purged her NCIC record because Des Moines has a strict policy to not purge any of their NCIC entries unless the person was located (dead or alive).

I sent a message to Sharon's website administrator. Her brother replied and said that he agreed that there is a strong resemblance.

He says that Sharon had dentures, and he might be able to get fingerprints from her birth records in Des Moines.

Unfortunately, NamUs left the Dentals section blank on this Jane Doe. There is nothing in the DNA or Fingerprints sections either. I'll need to find out if there are any identifiers at all on this Doe.

I am glad that Sharon's brother sees a resemblence. Maybe he can get the ball rolling. I also that that if Sharon went missing from Texas, that LE from there would be in charge of her case, not Des Moines.

It would be nice if someone could find out if the UID had dentures....

Again, Great work Carl! I think you should open up your own business!

A girl I went to high school with actually owns a Forensic DNA Company out in San Diego. (we are from a little town in Pennsylvania) She is my friend on facebook also. I might tell her about this site, she might be able to help us out somehow with our "possible matches." Here is the website to my friend's company http://www.ryanforensicdna.com/

I am glad that Sharon's brother sees a resemblence. Maybe he can get the ball rolling. I also that that if Sharon went missing from Texas, that LE from there would be in charge of her case, not Des Moines.

Yes, he mentioned that he had filed a report with LE in Houston, and they spent a little time looking at it. I'm still not sure why her case isn't in NCIC though.

I left a message with Wendy Crane of the Broward County ME Office.

I just got ahold of Wendy Crane of the Broward County Medical Examiner’s office. She says that the Jane Doe had "nearly" a “full mouth of teeth”, with no prosthetics. By "nearly", she said she was missing some wisdom teeth.

So if Sharon wore a denture (as her brother indicated), she would not be a match to this Jane Doe.

I just got ahold of Wendy Crane of the Broward County Medical Examiner’s office. She says that the Jane Doe had "nearly" a “full mouth of teeth”, with no prosthetics. By "nearly", she said she was missing some wisdom teeth.

So if Sharon wore a denture (as her brother indicated), she would not be a match to this Jane Doe.

Did Wendy happen to say if their are any other people besides Deborah McCall and Nadine Timm that were added to the rule out list?

Did Wendy happen to say if their are any other people besides Deborah McCall and Nadine Timm that were added to the rule out list?

I should have asked, but I didn't. I was tempted to run a bunch of other Broward County possibles by her from my tentative possibles list, but I thought better of it. It's so difficult to get anything except an answering machine from Broward County.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back