Resolved OR - Columbia Co, BlkFem 17-25, UP9006, Afro-style wig, Feb'70 - namus removed

EmmaliLucia

Reaction score
Female found out in Columbia county.

17-25 years old and estimated at 5'5

Partially skeletonized remains located in Columbia County, Oregon. Because the case is so old, a proper file has not been located at this time.

According to the Namus profile she was out there for about a year.

LUCKILY AND THANK GOODNESS, apparently even though they can't find her proper file, her full DNA is in CODIS, unfortunately, many missing women from back then don't have their DNA on file.

Timing isn't right unless one report or the other is inaccurate.

http://www.missingin.org/reg6712/roxanne_marie_sims.htm

Roxanne would have been 11 when this Jane Doe was found.

I don't know how I feel about the black wig, for all we know she could have never seen that before in her life and it just so happened to be near where her body was found. Or she could have been wearing it because she had a false identify and was hiding from someone, or something as simple as she met her fate after a Halloween party where she was wearing the wig as part of some costume.

Timing isn't right unless one report or the other is inaccurate.

http://www.missingin.org/reg6712/roxanne_marie_sims.htm

Great minds think alike! When I saw Roxanne Sims' Charley Project profile I ran over here to see if she could be a match for this UID and saw that you had already suggested her. I wonder if something could be wrong on one of the reports? The wig, height of victim, and the state of Oregon all match. Or maybe this UID and Roxanne were both taken by the same person at different times? The wig could have not been related to this UID. For instance, someone takes Roxanne and dumps her remains in the general area where this UID was found, then later abducts this UID and places her in the same area. I wonder if the wig looked like it had been out in the weather longer than the remains. I also wonder how large of an area might have been searched by LE. If this was done by someone who killed more than once he may have used the area multiple times.

Great minds think alike! When I saw Roxanne Sims' Charley Project profile I ran over here to see if she could be a match for this UID and saw that you had already suggested her. I wonder if something could be wrong on one of the reports? The wig, height of victim, and the state of Oregon all match. Or maybe this UID and Roxanne were both taken by the same person at different times? The wig could have not been related to this UID. For instance, someone takes Roxanne and dumps her remains in the general area where this UID was found, then later abducts this UID and places her in the same area. I wonder if the wig looked like it had been out in the weather longer than the remains. I also wonder how large of an area might have been searched by LE. If this was done by someone who killed more than once he may have used the area multiple times.

I was wondering if the year of disappearance was a guess. Because of this " Sims has been missing from the Portland area since approximately 1977." If the date last seen alive was actually the date she was reported missing. It does seem very odd to have an afro wig involved in two cases that are really quite close in proximity.

ETA - Roxanne's birthday does seem to be November 1958. So the only way this could be her is if the date of finding the UID is wrong. If it was faded hand written records a 6 could be mistaken for a 0. But that's quite a stretch. This is most likely a strange coincidence.

I was wondering if the year of disappearance was a guess. Because of this " Sims has been missing from the Portland area since approximately 1977." If the date last seen alive was actually the date she was reported missing. It does seem very odd to have an afro wig involved in two cases that are really quite close in proximity.

ETA - Roxanne's birthday does seem to be November 1958. So the only way this could be her is if the date of finding the UID is wrong. If it was faded hand written records a 6 could be mistaken for a 0. But that's quite a stretch. This is most likely a strange coincidence.

Well the proper file for her is missing, so all we have is the word of NamUs.

Interesting factoid, the file was probably in St. Helens (The county seat of Columbia county), St. Helens is somewhat famous for being extremely flammable (The city has been burnt to the ground at least twice since it's been formed). If they have her DNA in CODIS but not their case file I'm willing to bet they know where her body is. The unfortunate thing is that I'd highly doubt they'd preform a second (Or third) autopsy to confirm the approximate date of death or maybe even where she was from.

She was just added to DoeNetwork: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1270ufor.html

Some PMs:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/flink_laura.html
Age (21) is within range, height (5'2) is within an inch of the height range, timing fits very well (1-year PM range, Flink disappeared two years to the day the UID was found), distance is just 122 miles, circumstances fit

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/winter_verla.html
Age (28) is three years from range, height (5'4 - 5'5) is within range, timing (1 year + 4 months) works, distance is only 166 miles, circumstances fit

Hmmm... wonder if a recon can be done.

up9006-png.287288
Original

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Winnefred Jeanette Freeman, made visible in NAMUS today, reminds me of this woman.

The Oregon State Police wants to highlight this unidentified person case from 1970 in hopes that it might trigger someone’s memory.

UNIDENTIFIED: Black/African American Female, Columbia County, Oregon
FOUND: February 23, 1970
NAMUS #9006
State Medical Examiner Case #70-223
Primary Agency: Columbia County Sheriff’s Office

On February 21, 1970, the partially skeletonized remains of a black female were discovered on Sauvie Island near the end of Oak Island Road in Columbia County, Oregon. A short, curly, black in color, “afro” style wig was found near the body. This young woman was in her late teens or early 20s in age at the time of their death. An autopsy was performed in 1970 and the death was ruled suspicious, but the cause and manner of death remained “undetermined”. Additional dental coding was completed, and in 2010 traditional DNA typing was performed on a sample from the remains and uploaded into the national CODIS DNA database to find investigative leads. The DNA profile has not “hit” on any missing person case up to this point.

In 2021, a DNA sample from this individual was submitted to Parabon® Nanolabs for Snapshot® DNA Analysis. The results of this genetic analysis provided a prediction of this young woman’s physical appearance. Based on these results, this female individual had brown or dark brown skin, brown or hazel eyes, black hair, and was of African Admixed ancestry. Please see the composite images for details of what this individual likely looked like as the default composite image age of 25 years old. We would like the public to review these details and the composite images to see if you recognize this individual as anyone you may have known in the 1960s. Upon discovery of the remains, this individual had been deceased for several months to about 2 years, so she may have been alive up to 1969.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System - NamUs is a nationwide information clearinghouse offering free, secure, easy-to-use, online technology to help expedite case associations and resolutions with unidentified decedents and missing persons cases. NamUs brings people, information, forensic science, and technology together and helps to resolve missing, unidentified, and unclaimed person cases nationwide.

This individual has been entered into the NamUs System (NamUs@usdoj.gov) under Unidentified Person (UP) #9006. Feel free to head to the website and view her profile for additional information, search for possible matches, or even enter a missing person profile if you are a friend or family member of someone who is currently missing.

Does this unidentified woman sound like someone you’re familiar with? Do you remember a story about a young African American woman disappearing in the late 1960s around the Portland, Oregon area? Do you remember the name of that young woman? This is one of the oldest unidentified cases in Oregon. Can you help us resolve this mystery?

We do have a complete DNA profile on this individual, so identification could be obtained through comparison to a familial DNA reference sample. If you have information concerning this unidentified individual, please contact Oregon State Police Dispatch at 800-442-0776.

The Oregon State Medical examiner’s office is currently the custodian of 127 individual sets of remains that have yet to be identified. Their office diligently works with local City and County Law Enforcement agencies to help identify the unidentified and bring closure to the families.

Hope is why we are here.

upload_2022-3-8_22-24-40.jpeg

upload_2022-3-8_22-25-17.jpegupload_2022-3-8_22-24-40.jpeg upload_2022-3-8_22-25-17.jpeg

I think this could be Shirley Ann Lee Sanders????? Missing from Redding on Sept 18, 1969. She's not on Namus, I've not been able to confirm she turned up. She was last seen by her husband who proceeded to move to Los Angeles shortly after she went missing, her child was taken in by her parents.

Race: Black/African American
Height: 5'2"-5'3"
Weight: 115 pounds
Hair: Black shoulder length hair, believed to have a short dark wig (!!!!)
Eyes: Brown

19 March 1970, The Redding Searchlight Journal, pg 21
1680732353436.png

I'll have to see if I can find out more but I think this could be a really good match.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back