Found Deceased ND - Edward "Ashton" Stubbs, 16, Fargo, 20 June 2013

helpful

Reaction score
Edward Stubbs is from El Paso, TX and came to Fargo for the summer to work construction with a cousin, who lives in an apartment in south Fargo.

Edward and his cousin went to Dickinson, ND (about 4 hours west of Fargo) for a construction job. Edward was last seen there on June 17. Strangely, he stopped by his cousin's apartment on June 20, but there have been no definitive sightings since then. He wasn't in trouble at work and just walked off the job without telling anyone where he was going.

Edward may have been seen in downtown Fargo, walking alone and appearing confused.

The cousin apparently has no idea where Edward could be. Edward's mother says that he may be "feeling unwanted".

The Fargo police have said that they think Edward is still in the area, but instead of contacting them, the article asks that anyone with information call Edward's mother. Is this usual? His mother is in Fargo right now looking for him.

I think there is probably much more to this story.

(Article here.)

A 16-year-old is still missing after a month of searching

stubbs.jpg

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/84396/

What a strange story somehow...My first thought was if the cousin could be involved in Edward's disappearance...

I'm really worried for that kid.

He is described as 5-feet-10-inches tall, 140 pounds with strawberry blond hair. He was last seen wearing blue jeans, a white shirt and a blue jacket, all of which are likely soiled with drywall mud.

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/sta...cle_c09459f4-d859-11e2-9813-0019bb2963f4.html

16 year-old Edward Stubbs, of Texas, goes by Ashton. He's been missing for more than a month. "He didn't have a car, didn't have anything... Just kind of disappeared," Jolene, his mother, said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/52594845/#.UfPCS43Okvk

The 16 year-old has been spotted in Bismark. And most recently in downtown Fargo.
Police say, they have reason to believe the teenager might still be in within city limits.
Lt. Joel Vettel- Fargo Police: "It's apparent that the young man does not want to be found. And so, obviously with his age, and certainly there is some concern that he might have some confusion and things like that, we are certainly doing all we can to try and locate him."
Officials add, he could be hitchhiking to get around. His mother thought the same. Thought Ashton might be trying to find his way home.

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/84396/

What a strange story somehow...My first thought was if the cousin could be involved in Edward's disappearance...

I'm really worried for that kid.
Me too. I wonder if he even knew his cousin prior to coming to Fargo. I don't think it's farfetched to suggest that he might not have, especially if they're far apart in age or he has a lot of other cousins. Also, depending on where you're from, "cousin" can be used to refer to relatives more distant than your parents' siblings' children. I refer to my mother's cousins' children as my cousins, for example.

I'm also wondering how he got from Dickinson to Fargo if he didn't have a car and his cousin didn't know he was leaving. You'd think that if he got a ride from someone, he or she would have come forward and there would have been something in the article about it, but instead that bit is just glossed over.

Good to know that he goes by Ashton. Could a mod please change the title to add "Ashton" to his name?

Me too. I wonder if he even knew his cousin prior to coming to Fargo. I don't think it's farfetched to suggest that he might not have, especially if they're far apart in age or he has a lot of other cousins. Also, depending on where you're from, "cousin" can be used to refer to relatives more distant than your parents' siblings' children. I refer to my mother's cousins' children as my cousins, for example.

I'm also wondering how he got from Dickinson to Fargo if he didn't have a car and his cousin didn't know he was leaving. You'd think that if he got a ride from someone, he or she would have come forward and there would have been something in the article about it, but instead that bit is just glossed over.

Your mother's cousin's children ARE your cousins, just not first cousins.

Here's the way it goes. My mother has a sister, that sister's child and I are first cousins. When we both have children, I am a 2nd cousin to her children, and my children are 3rd cousins to them. Not very close, but still blood related. In the south, we count them as far as 4th or 5th... if we like 'em. :floorlaugh:

Sounds like this boy does not want to be found, and is just hitching around over the country. Probably how he got from one place to the next, hitching rides. Bad thing is, they can't make him go home.

I worry that the 'looking confused' part might be because of drugs and he may have gotten caught up in them. ND is seeing a huge resources and construction boom and attracting temporary workers from all over the place. We're seeing the same thing in parts of Canada. Entire small towns near mines, construction sites and pipelines basically turn bad because when the workers are off-shift there's nothing to do and there's a lot of money to go around.

Your mother's cousin's children ARE your cousins, just not first cousins.

Here's the way it goes. My mother has a sister, that sister's child and I are first cousins. When we both have children, I am a 2nd cousin to her children, and my children are 3rd cousins to them. Not very close, but still blood related. In the south, we count them as far as 4th or 5th... if we like 'em. :floorlaugh:

Sounds like this boy does not want to be found, and is just hitching around over the country. Probably how he got from one place to the next, hitching rides. Bad thing is, they can't make him go home.
Yes, I understand that. I meant that if the "cousin" was a more distant relative, Ashton (or even his mother, for that matter) may not actually know him that well.

I lived with some distant cousins for a while out of sheer necessity and it was awkward. I didn't know them well at all before I moved in, and had I been younger, like Ashton, I don't know that I would have handled the situation wisely. It's just uncomfortable to live with people you don't know, and I know that I felt like I couldn't relax fully while at "home." If it is the case that Ashton didn't know his cousin well, I can see why his mom thinks he might feel "unwanted."

I'm not sure that I agree that it sounds like he's hitching around the country. From what it sounds like, the police and his mom think he's still in Fargo and is disoriented for some reason. I wonder if they have more information that hasn't been disclosed, though. The visit to his cousin's apartment AFTER he left Dickinson is really strange to me. Did no one ask him where he'd been for three days? He's 16, not 26! Hell, I'm 25 and if I disappeared for 3 days and then showed up at my apartment, my roommate would ask where I'd been.

I'm also not sure that he doesn't want to be found, but who knows with teenagers.* In the initial article it said that his supervisor on the job site said that they'd had no problems with him and he was a good worker, so that's not why he left. I just don't know. This one is weird and I feel like it could go either way.

*Edited to add that I think it's irresponsible for LE to say that he doesn't want to be found. I don't think there's a better way to convince people not to look for a missing teenager. Even if they DO think he's run away and doesn't want anyone to find him, I don't think they should suggest it publicly. He's just a kid, and at this point could be in WAY over his head, wherever he is.

Yes, I understand that. I meant that if the "cousin" was a more distant relative, Ashton (or even his mother, for that matter) may not actually know him that well.

I lived with some distant cousins for a while out of sheer necessity and it was awkward. I didn't know them well at all before I moved in, and had I been younger, like Ashton, I don't know that I would have handled the situation wisely. It's just uncomfortable to live with people you don't know, and I know that I felt like I couldn't relax fully while at "home." If it is the case that Ashton didn't know his cousin well, I can see why his mom thinks he might feel "unwanted."

I'm not sure that I agree that it sounds like he's hitching around the country. From what it sounds like, the police and his mom think he's still in Fargo and is disoriented for some reason. I wonder if they have more information that hasn't been disclosed, though. The visit to his cousin's apartment AFTER he left Dickinson is really strange to me. Did no one ask him where he'd been for three days? He's 16, not 26! Hell, I'm 25 and if I disappeared for 3 days and then showed up at my apartment, my roommate would ask where I'd been.

I'm also not sure that he doesn't want to be found, but who knows with teenagers. In the initial article it said that his supervisor on the job site said that they'd had no problems with him and he was a good worker, so that's not why he left. I just don't know. This one is weird and I feel like it could go either way.

Yes, I get what you mean. I had one first cousin I had never met until we were both in our 20's. Others I barely knew because they were grown by the time I was born.

This boy could have gotten messed up with drugs or something. Wasn't it LE who made the statement that he apparently did not want to be found? Sixteen is awfully young to be away from home working, regardless. But unless he is disoriented due to drugs or someone is holding him hostage, surely he knows he is being looked for.

Yes, I get what you mean. I had one first cousin I had never met until we were both in our 20's. Others I barely knew because they were grown by the time I was born.

This boy could have gotten messed up with drugs or something. Wasn't it LE who made the statement that he apparently did not want to be found? Sixteen is awfully young to be away from home working, regardless. But unless he is disoriented due to drugs or someone is holding him hostage, surely he knows he is being looked for.
16 is really young to be so far away from home for a job. I just feel so bad for him if he thinks nobody wants him. He might honestly think that nobody is looking.

Bumping,

I find this case to be strange that LE says "Edward does not want to be found." From what would they draw this conclusion? I would like to know more about the cousin's background.

Satch

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back