LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not uncommon. Especially on a Sat night in the college area.

I tried to find out if there were any recent reports of attempted attacks against women in the area, but my search skills are not good... often in these kinds of cases we see it's not the first attempt....
might even be something not reported, but maybe now with word out that MS is missing, someone will come forward.. hope LE requests anyone with info of this kind comes forward...
Since it's mentioned there this is a large cycling community, they might have info about this?

Are they not saying ANYTHING about any sort of surveillance yet? Has there not been ONE single video of her on any of the roads she may have traveled on? Not only do you have places of business that have cameras (stores, banks, etc.) but in Lafayette we have live traffic cameras, and then there are the speed/red light cameras...I think those record at all times to be able to catch people speeding/running red lights and you can watch the traffic cameras on your iphone. Surely there must be ONE video that catches her somewhere so that the police/people have a better idea of where to look.

Also, even though I'm happy the police are finally on this case, and while I understand that an adult has the right to come & go as they please and & I understand why the police would generally want to wait out a time period before classifying someone as a missing person, there must be some sort of middle ground for those rules. If she was abducted, someone now has quite a headstart on the search efforts. She apparently- from what EVERYONE says about her- would NOT be the type to disappear and she has done so under (what I would consider) somewhat suspicious circumstances- at 2 am, on a bike. I wish the police had stepped in on Saturday or Sunday.
One article I read (or maybe it was at her facebook page??) said they were reviewing cameras and traffic cameras... and one other article I linked had quoted her father saying alot of the business managers for stores were not around on the weekend so they had to wait until Monday for them to check their footage.. I agree that the weekend seems to have put a wedge into the search for her and I further agree that if it is out of the ordinary (like her case is) they should have waived the 48 hours :moo:

welcome to websleuths CCK :cheer:

Thanks. I dont know Mickey but the thought of a young woman just disappearing into thin air shook me up some. Just wanting to contribute if I can to helping find her. I cant even imagine what a nightmare this is for her family.

One article I read (or maybe it was at her facebook page??) said they were reviewing cameras and traffic cameras... and one other article I linked had quoted her father saying alot of the business managers for stores were not around on the weekend so they had to wait until Monday for them to check their footage.. I agree that the weekend seems to have put a wedge into the search for her and I further agree that if it is out of the ordinary (like her case is) they should have waived the 48 hours :moo:

That is where I wish the police would've stepped in. How hard would it have been for them to assign TWO cops into collecting and beginning to watch tapes from stores that likely would've been on her route?? They could probably have watched a good portion of the footage on a Sunday alone if it had been collected on a Saturday.

And why did a manager have to be there to check those tapes? If I owned a business and someone went to one of my employees and told them they needed to be checked, I honestly dont think I'd wait a couple of days until I got around to looking on that tape for a girl that was missing. I could not wait in good conscience until a Monday to watch them to see if I could help. I dont blame her father for being angry for a second.

I wondered the same thing until I watched the interview with him (BW). I just can't imagine this is fake.

http://www.katc.com/videos/search-is-on-for-missing-woman-10pm/

I watched the video and Mickey's friend broke my heart. She seems like a vibrant, beautiful, happy and kind woman. She is clearly loved very, very much. I will add Mickey to my prayers. I hope that this turns out to be one of those miraculous, wonderful cases where the missing person comes home safe, and soon.

A few things I am wondering..... If she lived with her mom, wouldn't her mom have woken her up when she was getting a shower and getting ready for the graduation. Or at least knocked on her door to wonder why she wasn't getting up and getting ready. Wouldn't MS have ridden to the graduation with her brother and mom since dad was out of town? Also, when they realized she was missing did they immediately call BW to see if she stayed the night? Does BW have roomates? Was anyone else there that night when MS left BW's? Do they absolutely know that she never made it home? Was she drinking?

Does anyone know if the police are looking into registered sex offenders living along the route she likely took home? I cant find a way to look up everyone on a particular route but just searching random addresses (ex. Ryan St, Congress, Gov. Miro) shows quite a few of them, and searching by the city brings up 190 offenders with their addresses but they're all over the city. Surely the police dept/sheriff's office has a way they can check into offenders who may be on the route(s) she may have taken and who have commited certain crimes (offenders convicted of crimes with children probably being less likely culprits, for example, and rapists or other offenders who have commited crimes against adults would be more likely culprits) and "check in" on them.

All these beautiful young girls disappearing. :(

All these beautiful young girls disappearing. :(

I wish these beautiful young women would stop walking or running or riding bikes ALONE in the middle of the night. I try to remind my 20 yr old DD of that as much as possible. It is so sad that I have to warn her, and that she has to even worry about it. But that is how it is right now. :mad:

Cazzie suggested a drunk driver may have hit her, I think that is a major possibility. I drive a limo in the city, and I personally know 3 livery drivers who have hit pedestrians and/or bicyclists, and just driven off, and this is in a densely populated area. If a drunk driver hit her, he could have picked up her and her bike, and disposed of her somewhere (especially if he had a pickup truck).
Sorry if that sounds morbid, I really hope she is found safe.

At least in this case we don't have an argument preceeding her leaving to head home. But it doesn't sound good that she hasn't shown up in this many days.

I really feel for her family and friends, especially with the loss of the 2 days over the weekend to have her officially reported missing. :(

2n88xuu.jpg

Lafayette police have opened up a tips line for information on the whereabouts of Michaela "Mickey" Shunick, the Lafayette woman who hasn't been seen since around 2:00 Saturday morning Detectives will answer phone calls for at least the next 24 hours. The number is 337-291-8633
http://www.katc.com/news/lafayette-detectives-manning-tips-line-for-missing-lafayette-woman/

2n88xuu.jpg

Lafayette police have opened up a tips line for information on the whereabouts of Michaela "Mickey" Shunick, the Lafayette woman who hasn't been seen since around 2:00 Saturday morning Detectives will answer phone calls for at least the next 24 hours. The number is 337-291-8633
http://www.katc.com/news/lafayette-detectives-manning-tips-line-for-missing-lafayette-woman/

My hubby always says "some people are shiny"
I never knew what he meant until I saw this picture.

I wonder if this was the light brown "backpack" they were referring to in the description of what she was carrying with her on the bike? I just say that because it looks lightweight and something that might be easy to cycle with. Doesn't really classify as a "backpack" to me though....

Such a lovely girl. I feel so terrible that she is missing.

As far as the friend....I have mixed feelings. I mean, lots of criminals look innocent enough. One of the first cases that broke my heart was Susan Smith. My hinky meter went off when I saw her "crying" and pleading...but at the same time, part of me was so sad for her. Maybe I was just sad for her boys...and it transferred over. To me, she was a pathetic character...that mixture of an abuse victim who is evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305