11-10-10 ALL Broward County, FL schools on lockdown due to threat

Wise Old Owl

Retired WS Staff & Founding member of AFKBPOFPOPL
Reaction score
Ok - I don't know what's going on - making some calls and trying desperately to find out.

Here's the article:

All Broward public schools on lockdown after Pines police receive threat
By Linda Trischitta, Sun Sentinel

12:28 p.m. EST, November 10, 2010
PEMBROKE PINES — All 230,000 public school students in Broward County, along with faculty members and administrators, were placed on lockdown Wednesday morning after Pembroke Pines police received a threat, according to Schools Superintendent James Notter.

Inside the district's Fort Lauderdale headquarters, which was also on lockdown, Notter said the decision to secure all school buildings was made at 11 a.m.

**more at link**

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/br...embroke-pines-threat-20101110,0,5483145.story

LE gave a press conference - seems a local radio station received a call from a woman this morning saying she feared her husband was going to go to a school and start shooting. Then the radio stationg supposedly received an e-mail from a man that reiterated what the woman said.

EVERY SCHOOL - all public, charter and Catholic schools are on lockdown. That's well over 250,000 kids plus staff and teachers. Even the district headquarters re on lockdown.

There seems to be a "threat" to all public government buildings - TV local news just said something about libraries, post offices, etc.

There is going to be a LE update at 1:15 - I'll report back then.

They are saying you can't get your children out - due to lockdowns. They are going to issue details as to dismissal procedures in a little bit.

Ok. Why on earth would this woman call a radio station and not the police?!?! I'm pretty sure that if my husband went off the deep end and was threatening to shoot up a school, a radio station would be pretty far down the list of places that I would call immediately. Maybe she was hoping parents would hear and keep their kids home? That's the only reason I can think of that she would call the radio station. It sounds like she didn't call the police at all, though???

Ok - the news is back on. Supt. is speaking (what a troll he is). Seems this woman called the radio station because her husband sent the e-mail to both the station and LE.

I've heard two different things - I) he was gong to shoot up a school and 2) he was going to blow up a school.

May keep kids past dismissal time - its LE's call right now. Supt. won't do anything until LE gives him the ok - then he will lift the code red lockdown. All district offices are locked down too. Saying that the e-mail said all government facilities, post offices and schools.

Waiting for LE to give update presser

Thank you for keeping us updated!

My prayers to all. I hope the dude was full of hot air, LE figures out who he is and he is locked up in a mental facility for a long time and that he does NOT do any shooting/bombing before he is caught!

Salem

Still waiting - LE is working hard and there is A WHOLE LOTTA PEEPS involved in this LE action. They have at least two cars at every school (how they are doing this I don't know as there are 230+ public then you have the Charters and the Catholic schools too. I can see a Catholic school from my front yard (can't see the driveways tho) and I have an "alternative" school down the street the other way. That alternative school is HUGE and encompasses 4 city blocks square.

I've never understood why if the threat is a bomb - why keep the kids IN the schools? I mean - c'mon - if a school is gonna blow up? But that's this backasswards school district's way of doing things.

I've heard they can't find either the woman or her husband. It started in Pembroke Pines and then went county-wide.

I'll get back as soon as the news breaks in again.

Lockdown now lifted per HLN

Finally LE speaks - it was the LE from Pembroke Pines that held the presser.

Saying the "credible threat" to all schools has been diminshed. NOT cancelled - strange wording.

they will keep all schools on lockdown until dismissal but will have regular dismissal procedures. All after school activities have been cancelled but elementary schools will still have after care.

Woman called radio station at 8:40 AM - BUT e-mail was recevied much earlier. The e-mail contained details that corroborated what the woman said. LE has spoken to NEITHER the woman or the man.

Did take questions but really answered none of them with details. Still a very much working investigation.

That was it.

I walked down to the corner to see the Catholic school. It seems they all might have gone home. The parking lot - where all the teachers park is pretty much empty - not like a regular school day. I couldn't see any LE cars - but the place looks kinda deserted - but could be because of the lockdown.

I won't walk down to the alternative school - that place is scary as it is - lol.

I'll update after the local news later on - unless something else pops up.

Ok. Why on earth would this woman call a radio station and not the police?!?! I'm pretty sure that if my husband went off the deep end and was threatening to shoot up a school, a radio station would be pretty far down the list of places that I would call immediately. Maybe she was hoping parents would hear and keep their kids home? That's the only reason I can think of that she would call the radio station. It sounds like she didn't call the police at all, though???

I think that's really strange too. If she called the police first, the police could get the message out to all radio stations; not just one.

I think there must be another reason she did not want to contact LE herself.

I'm trying to find out which radio station. We have this one with a couple of real yahoos on it. I won't listen to them - they are rude, crude and downright unlikeable - KWIM? Now, if this woman was just out to get her husband back - then, yea, she could have called them. But I don't know. Want to find out which one - maybe DH will know when he gets home.

Yes, the lockdown as lifted right after I posted that above. Dismissal in MOST schools is a 2 anyway so I guess they just sent them all home.

Although all adult classes and vo-tech scheduled for tonight have been cancelled.

Hopefully they'll be much more once the news starts later on.

I've heard they can't find either the woman or her husband. It started in Pembroke Pines and then went county-wide.

I'll get back as soon as the news breaks in again.

Personally, I think this was a hoax. I could be wrong, but my hinky meter is clanging loudly.

They've been filming from my son's school all day.

I'm trying to find out which radio station. We have this one with a couple of real yahoos on it. I won't listen to them - they are rude, crude and downright unlikeable - KWIM? Now, if this woman was just out to get her husband back - then, yea, she could have called them. But I don't know. Want to find out which one - maybe DH will know when he gets home.

Yes, the lockdown as lifted right after I posted that above. Dismissal in MOST schools is a 2 anyway so I guess they just sent them all home.

Although all adult classes and vo-tech scheduled for tonight have been cancelled.

Hopefully they'll be much more once the news starts later on.

I was totally unaware of this - couldn't figure out why there were cops at every school I passed. I'm so oblivious it's stupid sometimes. My mom let me in on what was going on.

LE and the media are NOT releasing which radio station.

The last presser with Notter (Supt) he said that FBI, FDLE, local agencies and the sheriff's office along with SIU (school board police) are all working together.

So, now I'm thinking maybe it wasn't the threat per se but maybe WHO made it? KWIM
If this guy was on "someone's radar" then maybe that's why such a bid ta-doo.

Ok - just released radio station WFTL - this is an all talk radio station. Big following and fairly credible. I don't listen to them though.

Quite a bit of information about it, from some different sources, here:

Report: Kaufmann Was Inspiration For Threats Against Broward Schools
Eric Kleefeld | November 11, 2010, 2:39PM

"Did Joyce Kaufman, the South Florida right-wing radio talk show host who was named (and then unnamed) as Republican Rep.-elect Allen West's chief of staff, inspire the deranged person whose threats led to yesterday's lock down of Broward County public schools, libraries and post offices? It looks that way."

more ...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Lee
Back