UT - Ethan Stacy, 4, Layton, 10 May 2010 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBm ahh ha! sooo they never spent a day apart... figures he wouldn't allow her to go alone.

BBM which is unlikely with hippa and all but I would imagine her friends would be speaking up if she claimed to have diabetes on her facebook/wedding page and didn't... maybe we will hear something....

Does HIPAA apply to LE, jails, prisons, etc? They aren't mentioned here:

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/coveredentities/index.html

It addresses disclosure to, but not from LE.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/faq/disclosures_for_law_enforcement_purposes/505.html

I wonder if there are laws specific to jails and correctional facilities? I'll ask our compliance officer, but she may not know the answer to this.

And towards the end;
Croft says he hasn't decided whether he will ever speak again to his sister. "I don't know how I could justify that with my own children," he said.
Kind of sorry for this guy, bet he wishes he never contacted her in the first place.

He didn't contact her, she contacted him according to the article.
I don't blame him for trying to get to know his half sister. Who wouldn't?
I also don't blame him for taking the time to sort in his mind how and if he wishes to have any further contact with her. If I were in his shoes, it would take me some time to decide whether or not it was even worth it to verbally share my utter disgust for her behavior. Especially with what he knows about her. Perhaps he believes it wouldn't be worth wasting his breath speaking to her based on what he knows of her.

What surprises me is we haven't heard one word from SS's mother regarding her daughters dispicable behavior. I hope in time she stands up and speaks out for her precious grandson who didn't deserve to die at the hands of these two monsters.

JMO

I found it, from the article:

Stacy also told ABC4’s Maxwell that he briefly met Nathan Sloop, Ethan’s new step-father and current suspect in Ethan’s death, at the airport when Stacy dropped Ethan off, and said that Nathan seemed like, “a nice guy.”

He pointed out that Nathan Sloop has a five year-old daughter of his own and that he never thought Sloop capable of anything like this.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/to...eaks-about-Ethans/rYjvxDh4x0qY4JB-7gBVlw.cspx

I swear that's not what was reported before. It said he'd only met him once and that was when he went to Utah to get the car. I'm wondering if he told the reporter he met NS "at the airport" and the reporter filled in the blanks on his own?

Does HIPAA apply to LE, jails, prisons, etc? They aren't mentioned here:

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/coveredentities/index.html

It addresses disclosure to, but not from LE.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/faq/disclosures_for_law_enforcement_purposes/505.html

I wonder if there are laws specific to jails and correctional facilities? I'll ask our compliance officer, but she may not know the answer to this.

I would guess, whatever is available to the public via the FOIA or whatever LE wishes to share would not be protected by HIPAA. But in the mean time, whatever LE wishes not to share due to the open investigation would apply regarding these two monsters medical info.

JMO

I still want to know what these monsters did for work. Was NS still doing insurance? Or were they selling something....

I still want to know what these monsters did for work. Was NS still doing insurance? Or were they selling something....

Um, my guess is whatever these two did for income was not legal. Between her being a 'dancer' in Vegas, and his arrests for illegal drug mfg - fill in the blanks.

JMO

ETA: Keep in mind, prostitution is legal in Vegas isn't it?

JMO

And towards the end;

Croft says he hasn't decided whether he will ever speak again to his sister. "I don't know how I could justify that with my own children," he said.

Kind of sorry for this guy, bet he wishes he never contacted her in the first place.

Kind of a no brainer to me. Also in the story he talks about how she could stand by while NS did that to Ethan. I don't believe she just stood by but participated as well. Maybe he doesn't want to believe that.

Um, my guess is whatever these two did for income was not legal. Between her being a 'dancer' in Vegas, and his arrests for illegal drug mfg - fill in the blanks.

JMO

ETA: Keep in mind, prostitution is legal in Vegas isn't it?

JMO

bbm. It is legal in Nevada, but NOT in Vegas or Reno.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Nevada

However, yes, I was leaning more towards the drug aspect too. moo

I would guess, whatever is available to the public via the FOIA or whatever LE wishes to share would not be protected by HIPAA. But in the mean time, whatever LE wishes not to share due to the open investigation would apply regarding these two monsters medical info.

JMO

I looked into this earlier today re NS and an MPD diagnosis. Best I could tell physicians are required to give LE patients diagnosis and medications prescribed. Psychiatrists do not have to release their office notes (but they must disclose pertinent information as it relates to all people that would come into contact with the prisoner, staff and other inmates.) I believe all other MD's are required to release their office notes. I don't think LE is allowed to comment on psychiatric issues but I will need to do some more digging to find out what if anything they can say regarding general medical issues.
I know we have heard about terminal cancers and the like so obviously they are allowed to release certain medical information.

I found that it was worded differently in different states and my head started to swim!
This is MOO and not 100% correct at this time...

I looked into this earlier today re NS and an MPD diagnosis. Best I could tell physicians are required to give LE patients diagnosis and medications prescribed. Psychiatrists do not have to release their office notes (but they must disclose pertinent information as it relates to all people that would come into contact with the prisoner, staff and other inmates.) I believe all other MD's are required to release their office notes. I don't think LE is allowed to comment on psychiatric issues but I will need to do some more digging to find out what if anything they can say regarding general medical issues.
I know we have heard about terminal cancers and the like so obviously they are allowed to release certain medical information.

I found that it was worded differently in different states and my head started to swim!
This is MOO and not 100% correct at this time...

The second link in my post above regarding HIPAA kinda sorta tells what healthcare providers and such are required to give LE and under what circumstances. It's all enough to make your head swim. Me? I say nothin' to nobody. lol

Yup yup yup!! NO SHOP TALK!

ETA my bad wrong link!!
While HIPAA may apply to inmates' medical records, it is important to note that the privacy regulations expressly do not cover the release of protected health information about individuals on pretrial release, probation or parole. However, correctional institutions must protect the privacy of medical records for all other inmates. Additionally, once inmates are released, they will have the same privacy rights that apply to all other individuals under the privacy regulations and the specific exceptions discussed below will no longer apply to inmates upon their release. Consequently, correctional institutions may need to treat the health care information of currently incarcerated inmates differently than the health care information of released inmates.

http://www.allbusiness.com/public-administration/justice-public-order/1168370-1.html

Looks like we got two different stories alright.:waitasec:

Joe spoke today about wanting to focus on his son and not those two POSs. I suspect the first article was accurate, and he just wasn't clear with the second, and the reporter assumed he meant the airport in FL. That second interview happened at the family night the day before he buried his son.

Which reminds me... media needs to back off from him. Let him mourn in private for God's sake.

These are great.

Attachments

• te.jpg
    te.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 46
  • te1.jpg
    te1.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 44
  • te3.jpg
    te3.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 44
  • te5.jpg
    te5.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 45
  • te4.jpg
    te4.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 47
It was posted this was played at his funeral.

[video=youtube;VqaBof47pmY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqaBof47pmY[/video]

Godspeed, little Ethan.

Ok I have two ideas. One if NS was doing insurance and teaching people how to work through it (the "test") despite what kind of insurance it was could he have talked SS into getting life insurance on Ethan?
Maybe they figured eventually he would be declared legally dead and they could "collect" on it, both of them if they were married and the benificary?

Secondly, does anyone know for a fact that SS was in the military at all? Something tells me that a (IMO) Narrsistic would have a hard time being told what to do and have to do the tasks asked of her upon demand during boot camp.

Please excuse my spelling errors in advance. Thank you.

I agree! But,:waitasec: NS was employed right? SS would have gotten benefits for Ethan as a single mother. Once married she would have to claim her husbands income before appying for state assistance wouldn't she? And being that she did not have custody would she even qualify? :banghead: geez! It's late and I can't think straight... The more I think the less sense her applying for assistance makes!

I bet NS infromed her he would not be using his income to support her child...moo

I think it's pretty likely that they got married in such a rush because they had abused Ethan within an inch of his life and knew they were in deep deep trouble. I'm guessing they believe that if married they cannot be made to testify against one another.

http://www.standard.net/topics/ethan-stacy/2010/05/19/ethans-law-may-be-works-keep-tragedy-recurring

Ethan's Law may be in the works to keep tragedy from recurring

By Greg Jordan (Bluefield (Va.) Daily Telegraph)

Last Edit: May 19 2010 - 11:28pm

GRUNDY, Va. -- As mourners left the funeral of Ethan Stacy, who died after days of abuse, some were thinking about how they could prevent such a tragedy from happening again. One possibly is Ethan's Law.
Four-year-old Ethan died May 9 in Layton while on a summertime visit to his mother, Stephanie Sloop, 27. A Florida judge made the visits part of her divorce settlement with Ethan's biological father, Joe G. Stacy, of Richlands, Va.
Stephanie Sloop and her current husband, Nathan Sloop, 31, are being held without bond in Davis County Jail in the boy's death. They are facing the possibility of being charged with aggravated murder, which could carry the death penalty or life imprisonment.
In divorce papers, Joe Stacy said Ethan's mother was unstable and had abandoned their son. Judge Maura T. Smith, who officiated over the case in Orlando (Fla.) Circuit Court, later said that she had not read the father's statement and simply approved the final divorce and custody agreement.
Some people who knew Ethan now want to create a federal law that would apply due process if a parent who abandoned his or her child wants to regain custody and have visitation rights.

full article at link.

http://www.standard.net/topics/ethan-stacy/2010/05/19/ethans-law-may-be-works-keep-tragedy-recurring

The meaning behind this is great, but what I know of family court laws it is unlikely something like this, as suggested in the article would pass. Based on my own experience, in IL, for a parent to claim abandonment they must prove the other parent had access to and no attempt at contact in any form must exceed two years. Even then, it is difficult to prove because the non custodial parent could easily say they were denied access. Also, it is my understanding if a parent is even paying child support - and has no contact with the child - that is still grounds for 'contact' which negates the abandonment issue.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member