Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno fired, dies; cover-up charged #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
No prob....:smile: thanks for the article...I haven't been keeping up lately...

Well, even tho it will make a better case for the state, it's sad to see that we were right....there are more victims out there...and these are just the ones that are willing to come forward and testify.

Yes, it will be difficult to say all these people are lying or in a conspiracy against JS....and even tho I do wish they didn't have to testify, in a way I want JS and Dottie to have to sit there and be shamed and humiliated by the horrible accounts of his crimes. I'm torn.....

I went back and looked at the original grand jury report. Victims 3, 4, 5, and 7 have no corroborating evidence. The whole thing thing with these are their credibility. Victim 8 has neither a direct witness nor a victim.

If the victims are not credible under oath, Sandusky could win all charges. They will have to testify (unless there is a plea deal). McQueary has to be credible, in regard to Victim 2.

I went back and looked at the original grand jury report. Victims 3, 4, 5, and 7 have no corroborating evidence. The whole thing thing with these are their credibility. Victim 8 has neither a direct witness nor a victim.

If the victims are not credible under oath, Sandusky could win all charges. They will have to testify (unless there is a plea deal). McQueary has to be credible, in regard to Victim 2.

Yes, I did mean they wouldn't have to testify if JS made a deal...and as I said before he and his lawyerin' Joe might start thinking about it as more victims pile up...

I do believe we can't just go by what's in the GJ report at this point...I'm pretty sure the AG's office has been working on firming up these cases with the victims and finding other witnesses and proof to back them up if possible...such as JS's emails and phone calls to them...their mothers can verify how he called and visited to pick them up for trips and brought them gifts, friends can do the same...people at their schools can verify he visited them on campus, much like the other cases...there are ways and means to back up what they testify to about his actions...

Was the daughter-in-law, Matt's wife, saying only one of her kids complained about Jerry, or did than one?

Was the daughter-in-law, Matt's wife, saying only one of her kids complained about Jerry, or did than one?

IIRC, I think it was just the son...I'll try to find the article about it tomorrow, unless somebody else can before I get back.

No prob....:smile: thanks for the article...I haven't been keeping up lately...

Well, even tho it will make a better case for the state, it's sad to see that we were right....there are more victims out there...and these are just the ones that are willing to come forward and testify.

Yes, it will be difficult to say all these people are lying or in a conspiracy against JS....and even tho I do wish they didn't have to testify, in a way I want JS and Dottie to have to sit there and be shamed and humiliated by the horrible accounts of his crimes. I'm torn.....

To add to your thoughts - if HLN or In Session covers this case LIVE it would be interesting to watch Sandusky's behavior in the court room - but I feel for the victims - perhaps they could testify and not be filmed.

More theories on the additional victims:
http://news.findlaw.com/apnews/e634cd9205e8433495d196549ab19cd7
and
"Another discovery request, dated March 27, sought nine documents that Amendola said were removed from football coach Joe Paterno's office and copied by state police. Amendola wrote that the documents had undergone a "supervised review" and been protected by a "police seal of evidence."

It was not clear what the documents were, or when the state police may have taken them."

Former daughter-in-law said Sandusky abused her son

In Thomas' statement, she said that after the charges were filed against her former father-in-law, one of her three children [all sons] told her that Sandusky had “inappropriately touched” him.

She said she was told that there was not enough evidence to charge Sandusky from her son’s account, but a psychologist recommended counseling for him.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2012/02/14/new_sandusky_charges_.aspx

To add to your thoughts - if HLN or In Session covers this case LIVE it would be interesting to watch Sandusky's behavior in the court room - but I feel for the victims - perhaps they could testify and not be filmed.

Yes, this is one I will certainly watch if possible, and agree about Sandusky. Hope there is someway they can protect the victims' identities but not sure in a criminal trial (right to confront your accuser?) and since most are now adults. IDK, anyone else?

More theories on the additional victims:
http://news.findlaw.com/apnews/e634cd9205e8433495d196549ab19cd7
and
"Another discovery request, dated March 27, sought nine documents that Amendola said were removed from football coach Joe Paterno's office and copied by state police. Amendola wrote that the documents had undergone a "supervised review" and been protected by a "police seal of evidence."

It was not clear what the documents were, or when the state police may have taken them."

This is a great article and has more details about the additional victims...it seems they may be accusers but charges are not made for their cases. Also has information about Curley and Schultz wanting their cases thrown out.

The criminal charges against the former Penn State assistant football coach only pertain to boys named as Victims 1 through 10 in court records.

The April 16 discovery request asked for information on "uncharged conduct evidence," while the one filed a week later pertained to employment records.

The court filing did not name the people, explain what might make them accusers or indicate what role, if any, they play in the criminal case in which Sandusky has denied all allegations.

"This in all likelihood means that there are other people who have come forward who have accused him of improper sexual conduct," said Wes Oliver, a Widener Law School professor who specializes in criminal law.

Curley, Schultz seek dismissal of cases

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/05/3186420/curley-schultz-seek-dismissal.html

The two former Penn State administrators who are facing perjury charges for testimony they gave in the Jerry Sandusky case argue there isn’t enough evidence for the case to continue.

Judge in Sandusky case orders a hearing on subpoenas

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/02/3182930/attorney-for-local-school-districts.html

Senior Judge John Cleland will hold a hearing May 9 on filings by two school districts and The Second Mile that subpoenas from Jerry Sandusky's attorney aren't valid.

The Mifflin County and Keystone Central school districts, along with The Second Mile, filed motions asking Cleland to quash the Sandusky subpoenas seeking information including student records, psychological evaluations, grade reports and attendance records.

Mifflin County and Keystone Central argue the information requested in the subpoenas is protected and the defense doesn't have a right to the records.

More at links....

More Penn State child sex abuse accusers: defense

(Reuters) - There may be more accusers than originally thought in the Penn State University scandal involving former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, who has been charged with sexually abusing 10 boys, according to court filings.

Sandusky attorney Joseph Amendola, in legal papers filed on Thursday in Common Pleas Court in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, made a reference to "accusers 11 through 17 as well as 18 through an unknown number."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/05/us-usa-crime-pennstate-idUSBRE84409W20120505

We knew it, though, didn't we? I'm thinking Amendola will try to use these boys to debunk Sanducky's modus operandi (which looks pretty darn unwavering in victims 1-10, imo). It's a tight rope they're trying to walk-- not sure it's going to work for them because I'm sure the prosecution is more than ready for any cheap trick they can pull out of the hat. As a matter of fact, I'm sensing a spectacular backfire. jmo

They ae desparate grasping at anything that they feel will possibly stick.
It may be too late at this point for JS' defense. You have to try anything, I guess.

Oh sure! Attack the victims. Discredit them. That's a very risky defense. And it's like harming the victims all over again.

Jerry's a goner.

jmo

Oh sure! Attack the victims. Discredit them. That's a very risky defense. And it's like harming the victims all over again.

Jerry's a goner.

jmo

Amendola is probably trying to see what he's up against. It looks like it is a lot.

I feel most defendants facing this kind of trial would take a deal, bow out of it as intact as he can, save his family the horror show. But Jerry is a "defensive" pro, himself-- and I think he'll savor the game, whether he wins it or not, he's in the fight of his life.

I also feel that he'd enjoy being the center of these young men's attention again, he's sick like that. And Dottie? Well, I'll be surprised if she's not embroiled in her own legal defense within a very short time. jmo

Meanwhile...

New PSU trustees elected in Sandusky aftermath

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) — Penn State alumni elected three new members to the university board of trustees, including a well-known former football player who recovered from a spinal cord injury and a businessman who has criticized the board's actions after Jerry Sandusky's arrest in a child sex-abuse scandal.

Alumni elected lawyer Adam Taliaferro, who played for the late coach Joe Paterno; prominent donor and outspoken board critic Anthony Lubrano; and retired U.S. Navy captain Ryan McCombie.

Election results were announced Friday following more than three weeks of online voting that drew a record turnout of at least 37,000. The new trustees begin their three-year terms July 1.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/art...-Sandusky-aftermath-3533818.php#ixzz1uCSGRgKc

...and Louis Freeh has been verrrrrry busy.

Penn State University trustee: 400 interviewed in Sandusky inquiry

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) — Former FBI director Louis Freeh and his team have conducted more than 400 interviews in the internal investigation spurred by child sexual abuse charges against former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky, a university trustee said Friday.

Trustee Kenneth Frazier said the investigation includes current and former employees from numerous departments across the university, which employs more than 18,000 at its main campus in State College. The school still hopes the investigation will be completed by the time the next academic year begins in late August. The board still intends to make the full findings and recommendations public, Frazier said.

and

As for the Freeh investigation, Frazier said it is being conducted independent of criminal and other investigations and will not interfere with other inquiries. Investigators have also reviewed numerous documents and electronic data. Current and former trustees have been interviewed, along with others in the community.

“We understand that answers cannot come soon enough for all concerned,” Frazier said, “and I assure you Judge Freeh and his team are moving as quickly as possible.”

The school has also been implementing new guidelines stemming from recommendations by Freeh that it hopes will improve the protocols involved in identifying and reporting child sex abuse. Frazier said more recommendations may be released by mid-June.

more at link: http://www.lsureveille.com/news/pen...ed-in-sandusky-inquiry-1.2738936#.T6fwzlLl-vk

Penn State wants this to go away, fast and completely. There had to be a monetary offer to the Sandusky camp to make this all go away as quietly as possible-- right? Does this mean they've already reached the point of no return and the courtroom drama is going forward? Did Jer turn down financial security for his wife while he rots in prison??? :what: :jail:

I'm continually stunned by the massive egos involved in these events-- :moo:

“It is clear that Mike McQueary was wrong in so adamantly insisting that the incident happened the Friday before Spring Break in 2002,” lawyers Caroline Roberto and Tom Farrell said in an e-mailed statement. “Whether or not Mr. McQueary’s insistence was the result of faulty memory, or questionable credibility, there is no dispute that the statute of limitations has expired on count two and it will be dismissed.”
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...se-took-place-year-earlier-state-says-1-.html

Nooooo!

“It is clear that Mike McQueary was wrong in so adamantly insisting that the incident happened the Friday before Spring Break in 2002,” lawyers Caroline Roberto and Tom Farrell said in an e-mailed statement. “Whether or not Mr. McQueary’s insistence was the result of faulty memory, or questionable credibility, there is no dispute that the statute of limitations has expired on count two and it will be dismissed.”
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...se-took-place-year-earlier-state-says-1-.html

Nooooo!

I think the statute of limitations would still apply, because the perjury allegation was based on the grand jury testimony in 2011. The summary "failure to report" might go, but I think the penalty is a small fine.

I can, and could always, see Sandusky walking on Victim 2 charges.

Just announced, the AG's Office admitted that the McQueary incident, Victim 2, happened in February 2001, not March 2002: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/07/3188751/children-and-youth-services-files.html

I'll lay odds that Amendola has the victim who will testify for the defense. If that happens, you only have strong cases with Victim 1 and Victim 6. Victim 6 has never claimed rape.

Bolded by me -

Perhaps, but I had another thought. Amendola has always claimed the shower incident was Feb 2001, because Sandusky knew who the boy was. Up until this point, the AG has been relying on McQueary's testimony to lay foundation for the date in question, but something happened to confirm the actual date to the prosecution.

Note that they amended the particulars - if the only reason prosecutors learned of the true timeline were because Victim 2 was planning to testify for the defense, I imagine the state might have petitioned to dismiss those charges w/o prejudice, rather than press on with no chance (not a lawyer here, just thinking aloud).

What if through reciprocal discovery, AG finally learned the identity of Victim 2 and he convinced them of the actual date. Or if perhaps there was some paper trail, possibly linked to the documents that Assistant Athletic Director Sherburne was fired over?

Consider the timing - about 2 weeks ago, Sherburne was terminated, and sources indicated it was related to the handling of case documents. Let's say the prosecution had time to review the documents, and perhaps there was a interoffice memo relating to the meeting with McQueary that threw the established timeline out of whack. One of the attorneys or investigators meets with McQueary over the discrepancy, and he looks back at the game schedule and realizes when it actually occurred, causing the amendment that now matches Sandusky's recollection.

Again, this is all speculation, but I am trying to maintain optimism about the state's case.

Again, this is all speculation, but I am trying to maintain optimism about the state's case.

Good points.

From the way they are talking, the statute of limitation on the summary charge of failing to report has expired. It is a very minor charge, that has a minimal fine or possibly less than 90 days. Schultz and Curley are charged with it, but not Sandusky. They are also charged with perjury, the felony.

I think the failure to report is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member