CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could have been a woman that killed her, maybe a jealous one. Some women can be extremely vicious when it has to do with a man.

We, the public, don't know if it was a man or a woman, but perhaps the police might know (she might have been sexually assaulted, and the police can't release the information)

chances are it's a man if they're interested in size 10/11 workboots

It is rather odd that a woman who had worked for years on the night shift, was murdered in the middle of the night only a month after she changed jobs to working the day shift. I wonder if she normally worked on Sunday nights at her old job?

chances are it's a man if they're interested in size 10/11 workboots

Yes even though some woman probably prefer men's work boots, that size would indicate it's likely a man IMO.

I think the killer left the garage door open after backing out with Sonia's body in the trunk. I don't think it was careless; he just wanted to get away fast. Too many chances to be seen if he gets out to close the door after him. Although I still don't know why he took an even bigger chance taking her out the front door.

Do we know if Sonia's house had a door from the house to the garage, I'm assuming NO and that is why there was blood on the front steps.

I wonder how much gas there was left in Sonia's vehicle when it was discovered? I wonder if the perp would have driven further with the car to dispose of her but needed to return to a central area to avoid needing to go to a gas station or risk having to walk along the roads and being seen after leaving the car behind.

If this guy had his own car, where did he park when he broke into Sonia's home? If he parked elsewhere i.e. where he parked her car in the back alley of Broadway, he would have needed to walk to her house on foot. He would have exposed himself to being seen by at least a few late drivers and others heading home or to work in the early hours.

I am now believing that the perp is someone who lives very close by who knew Sonia lived alone. Maybe even someone from her street. He would not have his own car and would need to return her car back to where he took her because this is where the he lives. He would not be able to return home without being detected full of blood and would be seen walking from the disposal site. I'm feeling this is a young guy and lives close by to Sonia. JMO of course.

It is rather odd that a woman who had worked for years on the night shift, was murdered in the middle of the night only a month after she changed jobs to working the day shift. I wonder if she normally worked on Sunday nights at her old job?

Burglary gone wrong? This would really fit with a person that lived nearby. I was thinking that the killer would have had to know she was alone. Perhaps he thought she wasn't home at all. I still cannot figure out what possible advantage he thought he would have by removing her though, other than delayed detection.

As far as the killer being a woman, apart from the size 10/11 boots, we are talking about lugging a body out of a house, into a car, and then disposal in the woods. I don't mean to start a whole man vs. woman debate, but this would suggest a male killer. Not exclusively, but it would be pretty long odds.

That's a great point.

This may have been the first length of time where Sonia was actually home in the evening. Maybe the perp didn't know she was in a new job, and was going to burgalize her home, as someone pointed out.

I wonder what her old shift rotation was at the hospital, and also, what her other co-workers/neighbours shift rotations are? Not just shift times, but shift days (4 days on/3 days off type of thing).

I wonder if there are any "happening" local hotspots on Sunday in Orangeville? What is the closing time of the local pubs/clubs/bars?

I wonder how much gas there was left in Sonia's vehicle when it was discovered? I wonder if the perp would have driven further with the car to dispose of her but needed to return to a central area to avoid needing to go to a gas station or risk having to walk along the roads and being seen after leaving the car behind.

That's a good question. Also, I still can't really think of a reason to leave the front doors and trunk open.

If this guy had his own car, where did he park when he broke into Sonia's home? If he parked elsewhere i.e. where he parked her car in the back alley of Broadway, he would have needed to walk to her house on foot. He would have exposed himself to being seen by at least a few late drivers and others heading home or to work in the early hours.

I am now believing that the perp is someone who lives very close by who knew Sonia lived alone. Maybe even someone from her street. He would not have his own car and would need to return her car back to where he took her because this is where the he lives. He would not be able to return home without being detected full of blood and would be seen walking from the disposal site. I'm feeling this is a young guy and lives close by to Sonia. JMO of course.

BBM: I agree.

Either the perp was covered in blood and walked home from the car disposal site (which was likely close by) OR he was covered in blood and walked to his vehicle from the car disposal site, after which, he most assuredly would have stained his vehicle in some way.

Someone who has detailed their vehicle extensively (local car wash?), or purchased new car seat covers recently, could be suspect.

That's a great question matou. Sonia had been at her parent's home in Bolton during the day and she had to travel to Mississauga in the morning for work. I wonder when she last put gas in the car and how much was left when it was found. Did the person even notice or take that into consideration when choosing where to take her? I posted earlier about the fact that it seems like they got to the end of the sideroad and when they would have had to go either north or south on Airport Rd, which is another main road, they may have decided to turn around because her body was found on the north side of the sideroad. Perhaps that is why, because they were running low on gas. Maybe there was another place they were headed to?

It just seems weird that they headed back towards Bolton, where Sonia's parents live and where she was earlier in the day. And I've always thought it strange that the perpetrator would choose that particular sideroad which would be a possible route for Sonia herself to take to visit her parent's home if she wanted to avoid busy Hwy 9. Why did this person drive towards that area I wonder? Did Sonia ever travel that sideroad? This was not the first side road off of Hwy 10 that they could have taken if they wanted to get off a main road quickly. There is another sideroad that goes in the opposite direction before that one. They may have been familiar with that road.

MOO

On google maps, I think I remember seeing a lot of low rise apartment buildings on one of the streets very close to where the car was left. A single person living alone in an apartment complex comes to mind for me.

MOO

Many have wondered why the killer had left the doors and trunk of Sonia's car open. I think the killer was hoping someone would steal the car. A car thief could get curious why the doors are open and no person is around, and then find the keys right in the ignition.
My other guess is he had his own car nearby. Probably adult male, known to her.

That's a great point.

This may have been the first length of time where Sonia was actually home in the evening. Maybe the perp didn't know she was in a new job, and was going to burgalize her home, as someone pointed out.

I wonder what her old shift rotation was at the hospital, and also, what her other co-workers/neighbours shift rotations are? Not just shift times, but shift days (4 days on/3 days off type of thing).

I wonder if there are any "happening" local hotspots on Sunday in Orangeville? What is the closing time of the local pubs/clubs/bars?

The bars close at 1AM and really nothing hops on a Sunday night.

Many have wondered why the killer had left the doors and trunk of Sonia's car open. I think the killer was hoping someone would sal the car. A car thief could get curious why the doors are open and no person is around, and then find the keys right in the ignition.

Now THAT is a very good point.

If the keys were found in the ignition, that would make alot of sense, the perp figured her car would indeed get stolen, and perhaps that is why he left it where he did.

Do any of the locals know if that alley way has a high crime rate?

The bars close at 1AM and really nothing hops on a Sunday night.

Thank-you, Katecav.

What IS open at that time of night on a Sunday in Orangeville, and the surrounding area? Anything happening in Bolton or Caledon?

There was a recent large bust in Orangeville (July 7, 2010) regarding street crimes:

“The object of the joint forces project was to target those criminals who conduct their illegal activities on our streets and directly impact on our communities,” Orangeville police chief Joseph Tomei said during a press conference in Shelburne Tuesday afternoon.

The purpose of this investigation was to provide focused enforcement against street-level drug dealers in the Town of Shelburne, The Town of Orangeville and the communities that comprise Dufferin County,” Shelburne police chief Kent Moore said. “Shelburne and Orangeville Police Services recognize that the drug problem is not only very serious but was deep-rooted within Orangeville, Shelburne and the surrounding areas.”

http://www.orangeville.com/orangeville/article/844733

Many have wondered why the killer had left the doors and trunk of Sonia's car open. I think the killer was hoping someone would steal the car. A car thief could get curious why the doors are open and no person is around, and then find the keys right in the ignition.

I considered that too, possibly hoping someone would steal the car or at the very least, with the doors and trunk open, someone or something (small animals, rain) would go through the car and contaminate any DNA before it was reported to the police.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member