LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, link doesn't work.
That's odd- it works for me.

But here is another link-maybe this will work for you.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8141392&postcount=349"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #35[/ame]

hth

Thanks Chicken fried. Good information. Quickie question on phones for my education... with a phone, is pinging a tower = having GPS? Or is the GPS a feature that is in addition to the pinging properties? (anyone can respond).

Our Onstar is not activated - interesting to learn it is still tracking. Good to know.

Most phones do not have GPS, a few actually do, BUT most have aGPS which is assisted GPS It will work to triangulate a location based on cell towers, wifi if available, data plan.

BBM:

I have to consider the fact that people down here often don't communicate with precision. When LE said they could place "him" there, in their minds, they could be thinking "truck," while saying "him." Even LE folks, in press conferences, do get things kind of vague, and don't always go back to correct mis-impressions. I'm just covering every angle and being persnickety.

;-)

To my recollection (don't know how to link it) I was confused about whether it was BSL was placed at WB or if it was his truck because in the press conference statement he said one thing (BSL or truck) and in the Q&A he said the other

If Mickey was NOT carrying a weapon that would have caused BL's injuries...then the entire scenario that has been created of late regarding a struggle for her life may be completely fabricated. I think it is human nature to want to believe that she was able to fight back and injure him to an extent that he required medical care. But we don't know if that is what happened. Not saying he was really attacked at the gas station, but that story has as much basis in fact, at this point, as the story about Mickey carrying a box cutter, I guess...we just don't know how he got his injuries. JMO

I'm glad the box-cutter rumor has been laid to rest.

Now, I wonder how BSL wound up getting those cuts?:waitasec:

Because BW said Mickey didn't carry anything sharp like a box-cutter, doesn't verify that she didn't. On the other hand, Mickey may have bitten him on the hand hard enough that he needed care, and the stab wounds may have been self-inflicted to make it look good when he sought care. IMO BSL would have been to afraid to inflict wounds on himself. Then again, here's the third hand, could be he feels the need to hurt himself after he hurts someone else?

NOW I'm out the door.

Regarding cameras not being at WB - in addition to the fact I specifically looked for cameras and did not find any, I was going off a quote from this May 29th article:

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Murder-Victims-Mother-Speaks-About-Missing-ULL-Student-155491135.html

not arguing with you at all Chicken Fried, just my own opinion, but interestingly the source I referred to was BR Police in the company of SP at the time....they were saying, go, be careful and alert, but don't take a nature potty break....because of the cameras. These are people I know well and had known for a very long time at the time of DTL. ...who were comfortable teasing me despite a very tense situation and who trusted me. It is quite possible those undisclosed cameras were not left there. As much as I respect her, reflecting, I don't know for certain that Pam Kinnamore ever knew about the cameras I refer to but I do know she wanted cameras there and I did think that had been done, I assumed it would be the same ones but from her statement....maybe not....

IMO Mr. Levergne is alive. He was hospitalized during all this there are links.
I will not go look now, but others may provide.

So, IMO this is false info.
:moo:

Let's get the facts straight. Thanks.

I am discouraged by all the false info. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I am totally confused about this as well wish someone could clarify. According to obituary it is Mr. Lavergne (his step-father that died). I appears there may be a birth father, adoptive father and a step-father. IMO

I don't think the bite question at the q/a session was far off the mark. Moo.

To my recollection (don't know how to link it) I was confused about whether it was BSL was placed at WB or if it was his truck because in the press conference statement he said one thing (BSL or truck) and in the Q&A he said the other

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONwpeBtTxaA"]Mickey Shunick Press Conference - YouTube[/ame]

At 3:23 (from above linked YouTube video) into the press conference on July 6th LPD Chief Craft says (reading from written statement): “Investigators were also able to place Brandon Lavergne in and around the location of where the bike was located under the Whiskey Bay Bridge.”

At 6:15 in the video an unidentified person asks: “Chief Craft, how did you know that he was in the area where Mickey’s bike was found — what evidence (inaudible)… ?”.

Chief Craft answers: ”We have some evidence that we can’t divulge at this time, but we know — we can place his vehicle in that area at that time.”

News article link I don't think has been posted here: no new information, but another confirmation statement.

http://www.easttexasnews.com/Sanjac/News/Ind/July2012/story9.html

San Jacinto News Times - Local News

Copyright 2012 - Polk County Publishing Company

Sheriff’s department provides key to missing Louisiana college student

SNIP by me:
"COLDSPRING – Information provided by the San Jacinto County Sheriff’s Department about a burned white truck found here led to the arrest of a 33-year-old man charged in the disappearance of Louisiana college student Michaela “Mickey” Shunick. Lafayette Police Chief Jim Craft said the burned truck found in San Jacinto County was the key to the arrest of Brandon Scott Lavergne who was booked Thursday with first-degree murder and aggravated kidnapping."

http://www.dmv.org/la-louisiana/replace-license.php
Louisiana requires one primary and one secondary, or three secondary forms of ID to get a replacement driver's license.

Seems to me that if they can pull up a photo of your previous license, and you have no flags, such as revocation, there is no need for other ID. When I got my Ms. license, all they did was look at my old La. license, and I presume they also checked that it wasn't flagged, and voila, new Ms. license that every day.

Thanks. I followed the link and I don't understand. Sorry.

What exactly are you linking? :waitasec:

I seem to recall that his Dad was in hospital during all this. That was my point.

OK guys, going to do some work outside now.

Can we please stick to the facts? Muchas Gracias.

:moo:

I'm looking for facts, not comments.

Thanks.

:moo::banghead:

Thanks for the WS comment link.

Is there a link to actual info?
This is just a comment.

:moo::banghead::moo:
BunnyHop, the comment is from a verified insider. Someguy is a relative of Brandon Lavergne's.

This is a very interesting article about a serial rapist from New Orleans that targeted blonde women.

Interesting to see it all come together.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2010/12/vanishing-blonde-201012
-----------------------
Thank you so much for this. I did know about the central case that is being discussed in the article, because I had seen a crime investigation program about it.

This is the part I didn't know about, also bolding below something new I have learned:

Three More Hits
Brennan never doubted that Jones was a rapist, and given what he had observed, first on the surveillance video and then after meeting him in person, he was convinced that sexual assault was Jones’s pastime.

“This ain’t a one-****ing-time deal,” Brennan told Foote. “I’m telling you, this is this guy’s thing. He’s got a job that sends him all over the country. Watch him on that video. He’s slick. Nonchalant. He’s too cool, too calm. You’ll see it when you put his DNA into the system.”

The “system” is the Combined DNA Index System (CODIS). The F.B.I.-administered database now has well over eight million DNA offender profiles. Local, state, and federal law-enforcement officials routinely enter DNA samples recovered from convicts and from the scenes and victims of unsolved crimes, and over the years the system has electronically matched more than 100,000 of them, often reaching across surprising distances in place and time. It means that when a DNA sample exists a case can never be classified as entirely “cold.”

Michael Lee Jones had left a trail. The Miami-Dade police entered Jones’s DNA into CODIS in late 2006, and several months later, which is how long it takes the F.B.I. to double-check matches the system finds electronically, three new hits came up.Detective Terry Thrumston, of the Colorado Springs Police Department sex-crimes unit, had a rape-and-assault case that had been bugging her for more than a year. The victim was a blond-haired, blue-eyed woman who had been picked up early in the morning on December 1, 2005, by a stranger—a very large black man with glasses, who had offered her a ride and then talked his way into her apartment and raped her, holding his hand tightly over her mouth. Thrumston had no leads, and the case had sat for two years until DNA collected from the victim matched that of Michael Lee Jones.

There were two victims in New Orleans. One of them, also a blonde, had been partying in the French Quarter a little too hard, by her own admission, and very early on the morning of May 5, 2003, she had gone looking for a cab back to her hotel when a very large black man with glasses pulled his car over to the curb and offered her a ride. As she later testified, he drove her to a weedy lot and raped her. He pressed his large hand powerfully over her face as he attacked her, and she testified that she bit his palm so hard that she had bits of his skin in her teeth afterward. When he was finished, he drove off, leaving her on the lot. She reported the rape to the New Orleans police, who filed her account and took DNA samples from the rapist’s semen. The case had sat until CODIS matched the specimen with Michael Lee Jones. The other New Orleans victim told a similar tale, but failed to pick Jones’s face out of a photo lineup.

Jones, it turns out, had been in both Colorado Springs and New Orleans on the dates in question. So in 2008, as his Florida sentence drew to a close, he was flown to Colorado Springs to stand trial. It was a novel prosecution, because the Colorado woman had died in the interim, of causes unrelated to the crime. As a result, Deputy District Attorney Brien Cecil had no victim to put on the stand. Instead he fashioned a case out of two of the other rapes, calling as witnesses the Miami victim and one of the New Orleans victims, both of whom supplemented the DNA evidence by pointing out Jones as their attacker in the courtroom. Cecil argued that their cases showed a “common plan, scheme, or design” that was as much Jones’s signature as his trail of semen.

The New Orleans victim proved to be a very effective witness. Her memory was clear and her statements emphatic, the outrage still evident six years later, along with her chagrin at the poor judgment she had displayed that night.

I'm looking for facts, not comments.

Thanks.

:moo::banghead:

Yes, but they were directing you to the posts of Someguy who is a verified insider on this case; meaning what he says is to be considered fact, the same as any MSM reports.

I am totally confused about this as well wish someone could clarify. According to obituary it is Mr. Lavergne (his step-father that died). I appears there may be a birth father, adoptive father and a step-father. IMO

Me too.

:seeya: Good morning, all. New thread coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82