MO MO - Gary McCullough, 34, Barry County, 11 May 1999

Kathee

Reaction score
13 Years Later And Still No Answers For Gary McCullough's Family:

What began as a missing person's case 13 years ago next month in Barry County has taken strange twists that even seasoned investigator's say they've never seen.

Sheriff Mick Epperly says it wasn't Sandra McCullough who reported her husband, Gary, 34, missing on May 13, 1999, it was co-workers of the man at George's processing who first alerted authorities.

http://crimesceneinvestigations.blogspot.com/2012/04/13-years-later-and-still-no-answers-for.html

Two People Missing From Same Family, Coincidence or Double Murder?:

In 2006, McCullough's daughter's filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Sandy McCullough Klemp, Kristopher Klemp, McCullough-Klemp's daughter Liehnia "Lena" Chapin and Kristopher Klemp's former wife, Jennifer Brattin after McCullough was declared deceased in 2005.

Albert McCullough says he feels somewhat responsible for his brother's presumed homicide. It was he who was first married to Sandy Petersen Chapin.

Albert McCullough met Sandy when she and her daughter's moved across the road from his dairy farm in Stone County. They were married in November 1992 and for four years they were seemingly happy, says Albert.

http://crimesceneinvestigations.blogspot.com/2012/05/two-people-missing-from-same-family.html

So....we have a guy who is buying a white fighting chicken; driving an unlicensed truck; the wife. who is having an affair and is pregnant with her lover's child; charges of trying to defraud a lender; and a brother who marries a former brother's wife, etc.

Lovely people.

Tossing murder in the mix is not surprising.

A change of venue has been granted in a wrongful death lawsuit brought by the family of a man who has been missing for thirteen years.

The trial of Sandra McCullough-Klemp, who was the wife of Gary McCullough when he went missing in May of 1999, and her current husband, Kristopher Klemp, was scheduled to begin on June 25th in Barry County. However, lawyer's for the Klemp's filed motions for a change of venue on June 13th.

http://crimesceneinvestigations.blogspot.com/2012/06/change-of-venue-in-mccullough-wrongful.html

This article mostly covers the disappearance of Lena Chapin but it also examines Gary's disappearance.

http://www.thesalemnewsonline.com/news/local_news/article_0a03aaf2-d453-11e5-8f33-331b77b7d700.html

Seven years before Lena Chapin’s disappearance, her then stepfather Gary McCullough went missing from his ranch outside Cassville in Barry County. Gary had married Lena’s mother, Sandy, a few years prior.

“We first heard Gary was missing when a couple deputies went to respond to a cattle call,” says Barry County Sheriff Mick Epperly. “A couple of cows got loose out where the McCullough family lived. While the two deputies were there, his wife Sandy came up and said, ‘Well, I guess while you’re here I should go ahead and report Gary missing.”

Epperly says Sandy told law enforcement at the time that Gary left home two days earlier on May 11, 1999, to go buy a fighting rooster from a Mexican in the nearby town of Diamond, but never came back.

“The further we got into that, the more we didn’t believe it,” Epperly says. “I think that was a made up story.”

Part 2 of the story:

Cover-up, confession and what remains of Lena Chapin

http://www.thesalemnewsonline.com/news/article_5c50244a-da37-11e5-9200-33fc9d2ba192.html

On a summer night in June 2003, Gary McCullough’s brother, Albert, says Lena Chapin arrived at his home outside of Carr Lane just south of Table Rock Lake. He had not seen Lena since she was a preteen, but now 17, Lena was grown, and under incredible stress.

That night Chapin told Albert she knew the truth of what happened to his brother four years previous, on May 11, 1999, when Lena was 13. Knowing the significance of the conversation, Albert recorded it without Lena’s knowledge, and today a copy still exists at the Barry County Sheriff’s Office, according to sheriff Mick Epperly.

“I asked her straight out, Lena I want to know who killed my brother,” Albert says. “Her answer was one word, ‘mom.’”

An official transcript of the tape obtained from the Barry County Sheriff’s Office by The Salem News confirms Albert’s claim.

Albert: “Well who… who killed Gary?”

Lena: “Mom.”

On tape, Chapin claims she and her sisters arrived home from school May 11, 1999, to find their mother waiting for them at the bus stop. Lena says Sandy sent her sisters to do chores at the family’s barn and brought her inside where Gary’s body was sprawled out on a bedroom floor.

Lena told Albert she believed Sandy shot Gary while he sat on their living room couch eating a plate of scrambled eggs. Lena went on to say she then helped her mother methodically clean up the murder scene over the course of two days while her sisters went to school. Chapin said they pulled up carpets, bleached the floors and that Gary’s body was burned on top of a brush pile.

School records obtained by law enforcement indicate Chapin was not in school May 12 and left school early on May 13, Epperly confirms.

“If you want something of Gary’s to stick in the ground there is nothing left,” Chapin was recorded to have said. “He was burned, completely burned and everything. Everything that was, you know, left at the burn pile was put in buckets and spread all over. So I don’t remember where they’re at… I was there, I am the only one that knows. I am the only one that knows exactly what happened, but there is nothing left… there is nothing left. I burned my fingers… I burned a few of my fingers picking up ashes and bones.”

http://www.monett-times.com/story/2329325.html?utm_content=buffer7e3a3&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

At some point in the relationship, Sandy began an affair with Kristopher Klemp, who was nearly a decade younger than herself.

Tensions continued to escalate in the home, with Sandy's children resentful of being made to work the farm and Sandy allegedly plotting to kill Gary.

"Gary found out Sandy was not making the house payments and they were on the brink of losing the house," Martin said. "Gary had also caught her in a parked pickup truck with Klemp, and was planning to divorce her. He started moving things out of the house and told his supervisor at George's not to give her his paycheck, because even if she had a note, it would be forged.

"We found out by talking to her co-workers that she had been planning on killing Gary for about six months before he went missing. She talked about various ways to dispose of the body. When a co-worker told her to just divorce him, she said Sandy's response was 'she wasn't going to give him a dime.' She planned this for a long time."

That plan allegedly came to violent fruition May 11, 1999, when, according to investigator's notes, Sandy is believed to have shot Gary three times in the head as he sat on the couch eating scrambled eggs.

"She met the kids at the door when they got home from school and sent the younger ones out to do chores," Martin said. "She had Lena come in and help dispose of the body."

It was in June of 2006 that April Chandler and Joy McCullough, Gary McCullough's children from a previous marriage, filed a civil lawsuit against Sandy and Kris Klemp and Lena Chapin, alleging Sandy and Kris "knowingly took the life of their father," and named Lena as a co-conspirator.

On July 25, 2013, a Stone County jury took less than an hour to determine that Sandy and Kris Klemp knowingly took the life of Gary McCullough. The plaintiffs were awarded $7 million in damages due to the outrageous nature of the crime.

The McCullough family is offering a reward for information leading to the arrest for the murder of Gary McCullough.

So, no trace of body has ever been found? Not even a bone? Did the police check the house for blood using Luminol?

New member, here. Not sure what I am doing, so your patience is appreciated. Have followed this case, since the crime happened. Kinda sad, that no one has posted on here, in 3 plus years. Thought I would write something, just to let the McCullough family know, that someone remembers, someone cares & someone still holds out hope, for justice.

Welcome to WS Lester Moran. Do you have any updates on this case ? Did you know Gary and family ?
I have checked local media a few times and haven't been able to find anything that would help us in Gary's murder .
It's an awful gruesome crime, and involving a child is just wicked. MOO

Welcome to WS Lester Moran. Do you have any updates on this case ? Did you know Gary and family ?
I have checked local media a few times and haven't been able to find anything that would help us in Gary's murder .
It's an awful gruesome crime, and involving a child is just wicked. MOO
Sorry, no updates. No, I did not know Gary or his family. I did live in the area, at the time of his murder. Which is, what it was. A murder & everyone knows who did it. That is what really sucks. I did know, one or two people, close, to this case, way back, but they wouldn't remember me. We weren't friends. Just knew one another. I also follow the Springfield 3 & I dig up any info, that I can find, on the missing girl, associated, to this case. All 3 cases are solveable & this one should've been, a long time ago. Unlike the Springfield 3, people talked, about Gary's death. Ofcourse, one of the talkers, conveniently disappeared. I was disappointed, when I recently joined Websleuths, to find out, no one, had posted, on this forum, since 2016. Maybe I can rekindle some interest. These people need prosecuted & nobody needs to ask, who I think did it. We all know.

Well, Luckyzmom. Looks like you & I are it, sadly. The only ones trying to keep this alive & see justice, for Gary. (& Lena). This case never received, the attention, it should have. Like, for instance, the Springfield 3. You really have to dig, to find any mention of this case. As I've stated, before, we all know who murdered Gary & disposed of his body. I pray that competent law enforcement, will take another look. More & more of these cold cases, get solved, daily. I will keep the candle burning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.
Back