GUILTY GA - Jorelys Rivera, 7, Canton, 2 Dec 2011 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Anadarko. So if, for the time being, we go with the abduction theory and the timeline that Jorely was last seen at 5 PM or thereabouts and was reported missing at 5:30 PM, the abductor could have hit I-575 and on to I-75 within 30 min, right? I'm more familiar with I-85 and 400.

That's about right. I rarely drive further north than my exit in Cherokee county, but I mapquested driving from Reinhardt College Parkway to Town Center Mall (which is directly in between where 575 and 75 merge together) and it says 25.8 miles, 35 minutes travel time.

I just checked all the local news stations and I do not see the presser posted yet... will keep looking

Reward posted for safe return of missing Canton girl, 7

A 50-member team made up of GBI agents, Georgia State Patrol troopers, Department of Natural Resources rangers and other state officers specially trained in child abductions was brought in Monday morning to help look for Jorelys Rivera, last seen at an apartment complex in Canton.

The FBI has also sent resources to help in the search, according to Canton police Lt. Jeff Hall.

At a late morning press briefing on Monday, Hall told the AJC that “everybody’s ready to stay as long as it takes. Finding the little girl is our main mission.”

{snip}

Hall said that the girl’s family is upset, but has been “very cooperative.” He said the Jorelys' mother was inside the family’s apartment when the girl disappeared on Friday, and that a teenage babysitter “was supposed to be watching her, but had went to another location for a period of time before the girl went missing.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/cherokee/reward-posted-for-safe-1249642.html

Ugh, I missed the presser. Does anyone have a link to it?

Magdalyn - I don't have a link at the moment, but all the local stations were there, so maybe there's a link on their sites. Thanks for the answer re: driving time from the apt. complex to I-75. After posting, I realized she disappeared on a Fri evening, so the traffic congestion would factor in here.

FWIW - I didn't find the presser to be strange, but then I'm not the sleuth that so many others here are.

Thanks Anadarko. So if, for the time being, we go with the abduction theory and the timeline that Jorely was last seen at 5 PM or thereabouts and was reported missing at 5:30 PM, the abductor could have hit I-575 and on to I-75 within 30 min, right? I'm more familiar with I-85 and 400.

Exactly. 30 minutes south, you could merge onto I-75. 30 minutes North, you would be around/just above Jasper heading towards Ellijay.

Exactly. 30 minutes south, you could merge onto I-75. 30 minutes North, you would be around/just above Jasper heading towards Ellijay.

BBM

- and more woods and approaching Chatt. Nat'l Forest.

Just saw this on Twitter

jleslie11alive Jennifer Leslie
Jorelys' mother says daughter's purse & diary are missing. She last saw her Thurs. night before working late shift #FindJorelys #news

Uh, wha???? The girl is in the first grade. Four months into the first grade. She might own a diary. She probably has a cute little purse, of the Hello Kitty variety. But these are items you note are missing when your teen doesn't come home one night. I'd think those are pretty odd items for a 7 year old to grab. I wonder if they actually exist.

Most kids are just learning to read in Kindergarten and haven't mastered it by 4 months into first grade. (I realize there are exceptions and some bright kids master these things sooner.) Same goes for writing. It's usually pretty primitive at this age, very basic, lots of their worksheets involve coloring and circling the right answer. Add to that, she has a non English speaking parent who sleeps during the day and not a lot of adult supervision, according to neighbors. If she's advanced in those things, I doubt it was from early exposure to lots of reading and writing in the home. She may be very bright, but if she has a diary, I'd venture to guess she mostly scribbles in it and draws pictures, makes lists, plays school with it, etc.

And a purse? Most kids in the first grade see it as a 'play' accessory, not something they'd grab before they run out the door, let alone run away. I get that she might be a bit of a latch-key kid, but why carry a purse, as a 7 year old, on top of a backpack?

So I agree with what other posters have said, this, to me, sounds like mom is trying to make it SOUND like she ran away.

But back to backpack (that may or may not exist, I'm just speculating here.) Did someone say, or was it mentioned in an article, that they go straight to the park after getting off the bus? Where's her backpack? (She's got one. My kids are in this school system, it's pretty much a requirement.) The apartment? The playground? Missing?

Reward posted for safe return of missing Canton girl, 7

A 50-member team made up of GBI agents, Georgia State Patrol troopers, Department of Natural Resources rangers and other state officers specially trained in child abductions was brought in Monday morning to help look for Jorelys Rivera, last seen at an apartment complex in Canton.

The FBI has also sent resources to help in the search, according to Canton police Lt. Jeff Hall.

At a late morning press briefing on Monday, Hall told the AJC that “everybody’s ready to stay as long as it takes. Finding the little girl is our main mission.”

{snip}

Hall said that the girl’s family is upset, but has been “very cooperative.” He said the Jorelys' mother was inside the family’s apartment when the girl disappeared on Friday, and that a teenage babysitter “was supposed to be watching her, but had went to another location for a period of time before the girl went missing.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/cherokee/reward-posted-for-safe-1249642.html

thanks for the link. It sounds like the babysitter left the children unsupervised at the playground and during that time Jorelys left to go to the apt to get the softdrinks. I wonder where the babysitter went when she left the kids unsupervised at the playground.

Magdalyn - I don't have a link at the moment, but all the local stations were there, so maybe there's a link on their sites. Thanks for the answer re: driving time from the apt. complex to I-75. After posting, I realized she disappeared on a Fri evening, so the traffic congestion would factor in here.

FWIW - I didn't find the presser to be strange, but then I'm not the sleuth that so many others here are.

Traffic would be a factor on a Friday evening. The traffic is much worse coming north from 75, but going south isn't a picnic either.

thanks for the link. It sounds like the babysitter left the children unsupervised at the playground and during that time Jorelys left to go to the apt to get the softdrinks. I wonder where the babysitter went when she left the kids unsupervised at the playground.

I'm kind of puzzled. It sounds from a discussion upthread that the babysitter left, and friends also left, leaving Jorelys all alone at the playground.

So who thought she went to get drinks?

Fox5News local broadcast...

- federal officials and CART brought in
- aunt "love her and miss her very much"
- LE removed items from vehicle, standard practice
- LE set up road block, searched cars
- can't lose focus, this is our main mission
- last time babysitter saw her was when she went to apartment to get drinks
- searchers found Coke cans behind building, 2 full, 2 empty

WXIA local broadcast...

- mother says she feels destroyed, heading to court to try and regain custody of children
- mother gave short interview, whoever has her don't harm her, return her, innocent, angel, doesn't know what she's doing, why they took her, give her back
- mother inside apartment at time, Jorelys had no adult supervision, teenager was supposed to be watching her
- says she knows she's getting a lot of criticism, she's a single mother trying to do the best she can for her kids, says she's a good mother, her kids don't want for anything
- mother works night shift, got home at 7 am after Jorelys left for school, asking public for prayers
- number of agencies involved in search
- methodical search, expanding ares,, going back over areas
- everyone is a suspect, no one can be ruled out
- investigators aren't letting school say much, only went to Canton Elementary for a few months

WSBTV local broadcast...

- LE says family is cooperating
- 50 people from various agencies including CART assisting
- sex offenders in area have been questioned
- LE has checked out leads, nothing has panned out

Uh, wha???? The girl is in the first grade. Four months into the first grade. She might own a diary. She probably has a cute little purse, of the Hello Kitty variety. But these are items you note are missing when your teen doesn't come home one night. I'd think those are pretty odd items for a 7 year old to grab. I wonder if they actually exist.

Most kids are just learning to read in Kindergarten and haven't mastered it by 4 months into first grade. (I realize there are exceptions and some bright kids master these things sooner.) Same goes for writing. It's usually pretty primitive at this age, very basic, lots of their worksheets involve coloring and circling the right answer. Add to that, she has a non English speaking parent who sleeps during the day and not a lot of adult supervision, according to neighbors. If she's advanced in those things, I doubt it was from early exposure to lots of reading and writing in the home. She may be very bright, but if she has a diary, I'd venture to guess she mostly scribbles in it and draws pictures, makes lists, plays school with it, etc.

And a purse? Most kids in the first grade see it as a 'play' accessory, not something they'd grab before they run out the door, let alone run away. I get that she might be a bit of a latch-key kid, but why carry a purse, as a 7 year old, on top of a backpack?

So I agree with what other posters have said, this, to me, sounds like mom is trying to make it SOUND like she ran away.

But back to backpack (that may or may not exist, I'm just speculating here.) Did someone say, or was it mentioned in an article, that they go straight to the park after getting off the bus? Where's her backpack? (She's got one. My kids are in this school system, it's pretty much a requirement.) The apartment? The playground? Missing?

I'm not sure it's too odd for her to have a purse or 'diary' to play with. I see little girls much younger than 7 playing with a purse. I also wonder if her diary is more like a book? I notice girls write far more than boys, and some of the kids in the younger grades at my sons school write books, or draw little cartoons or pictures.

I also wonder about her school backpack too. I wonder if perhaps she brought the purse and diary to school to play with? My son brought small toys to play with at recess in KG through 2nd.

I hope they have checked to see if any of these missing items happened to be brought and left at school.

jmo

"I want to tell whoever has her or took her not to harm her, to return her," Jorelys' mother Joselin Rivera said Monday. "She's innocent. She's a little angel. She doesn't know what she's doing. She doesn't know why they took her. Give her back."

http://www.11alive.com/rss/article/...ear-old?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

She doesn't know what she's doing? What does that mean?

Wow. That sounds like mom DOES know what she's (Jorelys) doing (or being made to do), and she DOES know why they took her (for what purpose.) Which all sounds like she thinks she knows who has her and the creepy things they're into. :waitasec:

I really hope that's not what she meant and that something's getting lost in translation here. Because that just makes me think that mom's mixed up in something illegal, with people she's knows are hinky, and isn't mentioning it because she's more worried about incriminating herself than getting J back. I'm not saying that's what's happening, just that that's what those words call to mind for me. Moo!

I'm kind of puzzled. It sounds from a discussion upthread that the babysitter left, and friends also left, leaving Jorelys all alone at the playground.

So who thought she went to get drinks?

I wonder if the friends that left at 3:45 were not siblings. It's possible Jorelys and her siblings were playing with the friends who left at 3:45. Then Jorelys and her siblings stayed at the playground and were supposed to be supervised by the teenage babysitter who left them to play by themselves and then while they were playing unsupervised Jorelys left her younger siblings alone at the playground to go get the drinks. At least that is how I am interpreting the current information at this time.

It may be her younger siblings who said she left to go get drinks.

Sorry a bit behind on info.

Has it been confirmed she was in school that day?

didn't the mother have to use a translator? could be that her english is not that good? :twocents:

The mother did use a translator, and I think that may be why a couple of things she said have sounded odd.

Channel 2's Carl Willis talked to the girl’s mother, Joselin Rivera, during the first full day of searching. She said she just wants her daughter returned safely.

"Bring her back. Whether man, female -- whoever took her -- (I'm asking) to please bring her back," Rivera said.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/crews-intensify-search-missing-girl/nFs6d/

I can't recall anyone ever saying anything about being a man or woman when asking for the return of thier child. (if they have, I've never noticed) So maybe things just sound odd after they are translated?

I'm not sure it's too odd for her to have a purse or 'diary' to play with. I see little girls much younger than 7 playing with a purse. I also wonder if her diary is more like a book? I notice girls write far more than boys, and some of the kids in the younger grades at my sons school write books, or draw little cartoons or pictures.

I also wonder about her school backpack too. I wonder if perhaps she brought the purse and diary to school to play with? My son brought small toys to play with at recess in KG through 2nd.

I hope they have checked to see if any of these missing items happened to be brought and left at school.

jmo

Oh, I agree. I have a ten year old daughter and she had both at that age. But they were both just for play. My point was just, I'm having a hard time picturing a first grader thinking, "That's it! I'm running away! Now let me grab my pocketbook and diary!" :crazy:

If she had them with her, I think it would be for play, and not because she hatched a plan to run away after school on Friday...

They're still saying babysitter, so I guess the teenager is not an older sibling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member