New Curiosity Shop Raises Eyebrows

lol having grown up going down "south street" MANY times. this type of store there fits right in, it sure doesn't surprise me any. actually i'll have to make note to remember next time i go to visit my kids. they pick me up in philly so i'll have to have them stop off there so i can check it out. yeah, i'm 55 but still like strange things like that. my kids, all in their 30s just shake their heads. then they say and their friends wonder where they get it from? lol

This kind of thing is right up my street lol, how I would love that mortician's make up kit

:floorlaugh::what:Here's her FB. You really want that? Where ya goin with that? Would you put it on display?:D

http://www.facebook.com/RequiemShop

Note by the comments on Chloe's wall we're a welcoming folk here. Even the Montessori school teachers nearby are glad to have her.

lol having grown up going down "south street" MANY times. this type of store there fits right in, it sure doesn't surprise me any. actually i'll have to make note to remember next time i go to visit my kids. they pick me up in philly so i'll have to have them stop off there so i can check it out. yeah, i'm 55 but still like strange things like that. my kids, all in their 30s just shake their heads. then they say and their friends wonder where they get it from? lol

athy, sadly I think you'd be disappointed. Once they put a Gap and a McD's on South Street it lost it's uniqueness. To me that is scarrier than the mouse bone necklace, and badhorsie's make up kit.

Franchise it immediately.

ETA:

Here's that mortician's make-up kit.

Uh-Uh, no you did not. Look at the "wound eraser". :what: FWIW that would freak my brother out big time. He's a mailcarrier and has delivered to Funeral Homes over the years. They get magazines with the tools of the trade in them. Why he'd even look at the cover is beyond me. I guess he had to look when he'd bunch it together and deliver it.

Man, if we had bank we could franchise. I have bad credit. Anybody?

Uh-Uh, no you did not. Look at the "wound eraser". :what: FWIW that would freak my brother out big time. He's a mailcarrier and has delivered to Funeral Homes over the years. They get magazines with the tools of the trade in them. Why he'd even look at the cover is beyond me. I guess he had to look when he'd bunch it together and deliver it.

Man, if we had bank we could franchise. I have bad credit. Anybody?
Bad credit here too! "We can't go wrong." My dad was a mail carrier (of the rural sort) and had to deliver live chicks, but never, say, fetal pigs in jars of formaldehyde. Takes me back to 11th grade biology, that.

this is totally my thing,love all things weird and wonderful.

i have to move to the US immediately lol!

ah south street! love it!
tats, sex shops, clothing & shoe shops and philly cheestakes....all w/in matter of blocks. love it.
but yes, this shop fits right in.....im sure i could find some things to take home! :D i collect "skulls" (yeah, dont ask lol) but im also a forensic major...soooooo lol

there is a shop like this in the UK....and I cant remember the name of it right now....

Ah yes - sugar skulls, for Dia de los Muertos. Had many of those in San Antonio. Botanicas as well.

Bad credit here too! "We can't go wrong." My dad was a mail carrier (of the rural sort) and had to deliver live chicks, but never, say, fetal pigs in jars of formaldehyde. Takes me back to 11th grade biology, that.

That entire post just offers up too many great names for our shop.

"We Can't Go Wrong"

"Formaldehyde Pigs"

"Live Chickies"

Oh I could go on. That postman job seems like a cool gig, don't it? That is until we see our loved ones out in 100 degree heat or blinding snow. Bless your dad.

ah south street! love it!
tats, sex shops, clothing & shoe shops and philly cheestakes....all w/in matter of blocks. love it.
but yes, this shop fits right in.....im sure i could find some things to take home! :D i collect "skulls" (yeah, dont ask lol) but im also a forensic major...soooooo lol

there is a shop like this in the UK....and I cant remember the name of it right now....

You speak Latin so no way am I asking you why you collect skulls, Prima Facie.:what:

Did you get to Harry's when you were on South Street?

http://articles.philly.com/1986-09-19/news/26072972_1_powders-eye-oils

Maybe you can tell me just what in the h*** that little mummified thing was that looked like a monkey that sat in that window for a bajillion years was.

BTW, when I was in there not too long ago with my DD who shops there regulary they kept sweeping around me and the store. I later mentioned how clean they must be, and she goes "Oh they wanted you out. Ma, they were sweeping away your bad energy and whoever them spirits are that come with you".:what::what::what:

A shop like this in the UK you say :what: and Filly, a wound eraser makes it even better! I spend a lot of my childhood surrounded by weird morbid things, I find them almost comforting, this is because of my nanna who was a goth before her time.
Formaldehyde pigs? Meh, I would cause great offence f I were to divulge what we had pickled in jars at my old boarding school!

Not a fan of the sugar skulls and that even included Frida's. They just always creeped me out despite some of the amazing artwork.

This though is cool. Some chick tattooed Frida herself as a sugar skull on her arm. Quite lovely, isn't it?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l5ver4wylS1qzabkfo1_500.jpg
Skulls are best when depicted with snakes sliding in and out of the eye sockets.

I think this we can all agree on.

This sounds like the TV show 'Oddities' which is in NYC.

New York City's Obscura Antiques & Oddities ain't your grandmother's antique shop … unless your grandmother is an eccentric. ODDITIES follows this unique store as it deals in the strange and the bizarre, item-wise and client-wise.

http://science.discovery.com/tv/oddities/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back