NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct 2010 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. This is county energy assistance though. Maybe since that can be a life or death situation (heating and cooling) they are more lenient. I dunno.

There are no claims (federal or county) that come through my office with only 9s or 0s. Even new borns are sometimes given a hmmm pre-SS# (lol can't think of what to call it) that starts 680 or something like that, until they get their formal number.

You have no idea how good that is to hear. This really bothered me. Not that we were providing assistance but because of the people I could not help. I had to turn down one man who was going to lose his home after suffering from multiple heart attacks and surgeries and because he had assets I could not help him. I was bothered that it seemed people could slip through the cracks.

I was hired temporarily for this program and was offered a job full-time with DSS but honestly didn't feel I could do it.

I take issue with your description of drug addicts as 'generic lowlifes'. Addiction is a physical disease not a character flaw. There is a biological explanation for addiction just like there is for diabetes. There is no cure as of yet.

There is a genetic predisposition for addiction, it runs in families. Right now addiction is viewed the same way mental illness was once viewed. That will change, I'm sure of it. moo mho

To some extent I agree. But, for example, nobody gets addicted to meth without trying it at least once, and it's extremely unusual for any remotely responsible person do that. People with the genetic trait for Type 1 diabetes will get it no matter what or how much they eat. Drug addictions requiring doing the drugs first. It's a character flaw to be willing and eager to try drugs that you know full well are illegal and highly addictive, and it's a type of character flaw which is prevalent and tolerated in irresponsible social circles -- not exclusive to those social circles, to be sure, but people in responsible social circles who display such character flaws are statistically likely to descend the social ladder, often far and fast.

hmmmm did anyone else notice that on AY's FB page, he is now (not sure when, but recently) friends with AB ... though no other action on AB's page. Interesting ... :waitasec:

ETA: just thinking that would show that AB has signed in or made a new fb page (I hadn't noticed his before) within the last day or so ...

http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article/zahra-baker-case-police-search-for-missing-north-carolina-10-year-old/19676898

"It's been very difficult because folks keep jumping around on us," Major Clyde Deal of the Hickory Police Department told AOL News. The furniture store sighting "helps in building a timeline."

Still, Deal said that the new information was not a major break in the case.

"It's not a significant point in leading us to where she is now," said Deal, who added that police will continue today with interviews and searches as they hunt for more information on Zahra's whereabouts.

To some extent I agree. But, for example, nobody gets addicted to meth without trying it at least once, and it's extremely unusual for any remotely responsible person do that. People with the genetic trait for Type 1 diabetes will get it no matter what or how much they eat. Drug addictions requiring doing the drugs first. It's a character flaw to be willing and eager to try drugs that you know full well are illegal and highly addictive, and it's a type of character flaw which is prevalent and tolerated in irresponsible social circles -- not exclusive to those social circles, to be sure, but people in responsible social circles who display such character flaws are statistically likely to descend the social ladder, often far and fast.

I can't express how much I disagree with- people predisposed to addiction may never try drugs but still become addicted to something else-shopping, video games etc.

And many people who try drugs in the first place are self medicating that is not a character flaw it is a chemical unbalance.

You have no idea how good that is to hear. This really bothered me. Not that we were providing assistance but because of the people I could not help. I had to turn down one man who was going to lose his home after suffering from multiple heart attacks and surgeries and because he had assets I could not help him. I was bothered that it seemed people could slip through the cracks.

I was hired temporarily for this program and was offered a job full-time with DSS but honestly didn't feel I could do it.

It is easier to get Medicaid than Disability, in NC. However, if you are receiving Medicaid and you apply for SSI, and your SSI claim is denied, your Medicaid will be canceled. They are supposed to have the same requirements but NC Medicaid is more lenient than SSI. If SSI turns you down, you are out.

eta: When you apply for Medicaid, they will tell you to go apply for SSI.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/10/17/1767517/missing-girls-case-highlights.html

Missing girl's case highlights DSS issues
Search for Hickory girl renews questions about child protection system.

As the search for the girl entered its second week Saturday, people are left asking: Why didn't someone protect Zahra?

And the case raises fresh questions about North Carolina's long-troubled child protection system.

DSS officials in Caldwell and Catawba counties, where the Bakers most recently lived, say state law prohibits them from talking about any involvement they might have had with Zahra or her family. It's not clear how any abuse allegations might have been handled.

ETA long article but an interesting read...

Would it be frowned upon that SM didn't have a job given that Zahra was school-aged?

In Australia, it is somewhat acceptable to be a 'stay-at-home-mum' if your child isn't at school but once they are, it's expected the primary care giver will seek employment. Which of course, I think is reasonable.

Is there any stigma attached to someone choosing not to work if 1) it's physically possible and 2) the child(ren) are at school (i.e. not requiring childcare)

Would it be frowned upon that SM didn't have a job given that Zahra was school-aged?

In Australia, it is somewhat acceptable to be a 'stay-at-home-mum' if your child isn't at school but once they are, it's expected the primary care giver will seek employment. Which of course, I think is reasonable.

Is there any stigma attached to someone choosing not to work if 1) it's physically possible and 2) the children are at school (i.e. not requiring childcare)

Not at all. Stay at home moms or parents are common. It's what you do with the kid while you are home that counts. Such as, if you are going to homeschool, you should actually homeschool. And you shouldn't beat them and make them walk up hill on their artificial leg.

It is easier to get Medicaid than Disability, in NC. However, if you are receiving Medicaid and you apply for SSI, and your SSI claim is denied, your Medicaid will be canceled. They are supposed to have the same requirements but NC Medicaid is more lenient than SSI. If SSI turns you down, you are out.

I totally agree with you on that-- it was no problem for us to get SSI for my daughter but it was virtually impossible for my Brother to get disability and he is HIV/AIDES possitive (and has been since the 80's)

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2010/oct/16/money-and-legal-trouble-follow-zahras-parents-ar-462500/

Money and legal trouble follow Zahra's parents

Zahra Baker’s father and stepmother, Adam and Elisa, have an extensive criminal history and the majority of the charges currently pending against them are tied to money problems. Charges were filed, arrests were made and the Bakers established a pattern of not showing up for their court dates.

A criminal records check in Catawba and Caldwell counties revealed that the couple is facing a combined total of 18 charges of writing bad checks worth a combined $2,054.58. All but one of the checks were written at area grocery stores. The remaining check, written for $595, was for back rent, said the Bakers’ former landlord Mark Sims.

hmmmm did anyone else notice that on AY's FB page, he is now (not sure when, but recently) friends with AB ... though no other action on AB's page. Interesting ... :waitasec:

ETA: just thinking that would show that AB has signed in or made a new fb page (I hadn't noticed his before) within the last day or so ...

It's been within the last 14 hours. I checked AY's page this morning and it was not there. (this is what I was referring to earlier). And AB's added some family members as friends but no other activity.

Is there any stigma attached to someone choosing not to work if 1) it's physically possible and 2) the child(ren) are at school (i.e. not requiring childcare)

No. It's somewhat common here for moms to stay at home even after their children are school aged. Why would it be frowned up on?
With two school aged children I run and do more work than most moms I know that work full time. :waitasec:
However, I do question why in the case of Zahra EB didn't work ? You would think she would have been happy to send her off to school and get her out of her hair at the very least ... and with the extreme money issues.... ????

I just thought of something. I wonder if EB used her previous cancer 'diagnoses' real or iamgined as a lure for AB ?

I totally agree with you on that-- it was no problem for us to get SSI for my daughter but it was virtually impossible for my Brother to get disability and he is HIV/AIDES possitive (and has been since the 80's)

Yea, hearing impairments are much easier to evaluate. With HIV/AIDS, there has to be certain associated illnesses and expressions of the disease. Those are difficult claims and they can break your heart.

According to the article I posted above from the Hickory newspaper, the Bakers, especially Elisa, were very busy in 2010. :eek:

It's been within the last 14 hours. I checked AY's page this morning and it was not there. (this is what I was referring to earlier). And AB's added some family members as friends but no other activity.

I find that interesting on more than one level....if he can't pay bills how in the heck is he managing a facebook account? I know it is possible it is not him but dadgum should he not be out searching somewhere for his child? I am pretty sure FB would not be my interest at this time....of course if he does not have a phone or can't afford the rates , this may be his way of communicating with family. Still he has to be paying for an ISP I would think or maybe he is using someone elses.......gosh I am rambling. forgive me and I am trying not to be judgemental here and I am very aware no one grieves the same way....having lost a child I just don't get how some of these folks handle this stress.:banghead:

My boys are 11 years apart. When my oldest started school I remained a 'stay-at-home-mom'. I loved being able to volunteer in his class (I was class mom many years) and at his school. I go on all his field trips and would have lunch with him several times a week (while that was still ok with him lol).

I now have a 21 month old as well and still stay involved with my oldest's school and spend lots of time playing and doing fun things with both of them. I am so lucky to have been able to do this.

No. It's somewhat common here for moms to stay at home even after their children are school aged. Why would it be frowned up on?
With two school aged children I run and do more work than most moms I know that work full time. :waitasec:
However, I do question why in the case of Zahra EB didn't work ? You would think she would have been happy to send her off to school and get her out of her hair at the very least ... and with the extreme money issues.... ????

I just thought of something. I wonder if EB used her previous cancer 'diagnoses' real or iamgined as a lure for AB ?

I wasn't criticising the choice to remain at home, not at all. Just trying to draw parallels to Australian society. Here, stay-at-home-mum's once a child or children are school-aged are somewhat of a novelty, it's very rare these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member