IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found 2-3 references to Salzmann's surveillance tapes and the fact that police looked at them/wanted them/found them important, and one of those sources actually said "In a statement, Salzmann's spoke about his surveillance tapes" or something, but no actual direct, primary source. So, are we just imagining something like this happened????

After searching about 50 different articles I came across one site that literally had as the caption for CR's picture-"Corey Rossman was allegedly beat to ****." LMAO. Ok, it is not that funny, but I just spent what felt like a long time scanning through a bunch of really formal articles that are careful about how they say stuff so it was unexpected!

Too many rumors circulating.

Ordinary Students

JR does not have any significant criminal history. Not impossible that he disposed of LS’s body, but we don’t have any evidence at this point in time.

If LS had been socializing with a group of known felons, the accusations and rumors might be justified, but so far, these young men seem like ordinary college students.

Link: http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2011/06/30/news.qp-0075723.sto

Quote from the above link:
In addition to his Halloween 2010 arrest with Rossman, Rosenbaum faced two charges of having a fake ID and one charge of illegal consumption on Oct. 12, 2008. He entered a pretrial diversion program, and paid a $403 fee for the charges to be dismissed.

Bad Neighborhood?

LS was reportedly walking through a neighborhood which includes homeless people and vagrants, and in which break-ins were known to occur. The burglar who broke into JR’s apartment, where at least 4 young men were living, was esp. bold.

Link: http://spotcrime.com/crime/14630916-6fd1add6bb768955e3f87af2985d6334

The jewelry LS was wearing that morning could have attracted the attention of a potential abductor or thief. The range of the street cameras is limited, since they were installed to stop certain specific crimes. Saltzmann, the attorney, apparently kept 2 cameras (see photo recently posted on this thread) focused on his parking lot to prevent his car from being stolen, which doesn’t say much for the neighborhood. Maybe this section of town was esp. dangerous for a young woman to be walking all alone at 4:30 am.

Other Possibilities

If LS did leave JR’s to walk to College & 11th, she was probably headed toward the apartment dwellings at College & 10th, where many of her girlfriends lived. Locked out, and perhaps anxious after the Smallwood altercation, going to a friend’s place would make sense. After turning the corner, she may have entered her bf’s car, entered someone else’s car, or entered someone’s apartment, or met someone she knew and traveled to the back of 10th & College, the gravel lot.

The Build-UP?

We don’t know much about what preceded LS’s disappearance. What caused the altercation? Were there tensions between specific groups? Did LS have reason to be fearful, or angry? Did anyone threaten her before she disappeared? We don’t know.

Did LS feel out of place?

Examine the emotional affect in the first 5 of the 8 Fox photos: since LS is wearing different outfits, we can assume that these photos were taken on 5 separate occasions. The other girl seems totally in the moment, caught up in a spontaneous expression of joy and/or affection for LS and/or the photographer. But LS seems to be keeping a stiff upper lip, her smiles seem forced; she is keeping up appearances, holding something back, suffering anxiety and trying hard not to let someone down. Her eyes seem sad.

Link: http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/us/2011/06/08/where-is-lauren-spierer/#slide=2

In her blog, LS does not come across as a wild, partying girl, but as a more sensitive type. As for her trip to Israel, she discusses the prayer services, and the importance of identity. She could have dwelt on the music scene and fun parties with other college students, but these things are not even mentioned. (Of course, the blog was apparently homework for a class.)

JR is Gone, Too

According to Tony Gatto’s blog, JR has not been sighted in Bloomington, since LS disappeared. Then, from where, and to whom, did he make his statement about the last time he saw LS?

Link: http://tonygatto.wordpress.com/2011/06/27/jason-jay-rosenbaum-named-in-lauren-spierer-case/

Quote:
Rosenbaum, who goes by the name “Jay” has not said a word publicly about his friend’s disappearance, despite being the last person who supposedly saw the young woman. He has not been spotted in Bloomington since the early morning hours of June 3, when Spierer went missing … Rosenbaum is from the posh area of Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. Reports say he has returned to Michigan. Others claim he is in Israel. His Facebook page has him living in Barcelona. The fact is, nobody knows where he is, except, possibly, his powerful lawyer, James Voyles of Indianapolis. who has been retained by Rosenbaum.

Link: http://tonygatto.wordpress.com/2011...e-point-to-friend-in-case-of-missing-student/

Not saying anyone made it up, just that this would be significant news to me and so I'd be very interested in seeing/reading it for myself. One page back was the first I had ever heard it, hopefully it can be cited.

I remember that info coming out in week two in a news report. I don't recall hearing or seeing Salzman say it in an interview.
The report said that he had turned over video to LE and it did not show LS on it.
Maybe Herald Times article?

Just want to say that everyone's participation is helping to produce very good ideas for searching...please keep it up!

Not saying anyone made it up, just that this would be significant news to me and so I'd be very interested in seeing/reading it for myself. One page back was the first I had ever heard it, hopefully it can be cited.

I am pretty sure it is in the video of CR when he gave his DNA sample at this link. Unfortunately, my internet connection is crappy this morning and I am having trouble viewing the video to make sure, but I am reasonably certain this is what we were discussing.
http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/loca...r-on-night-she-disappeared-submits-dna-sample

and no, I don't think his cameras can see the sidewalk across the street, but he doesn't mention that IIRC

Just want to say that everyone's participation is helping to produce very good ideas for searching...please keep it up!

Does this mean you are in a position to relay this information to someone who potentially follows up on it? If so, that's very meaningful to me and I'm sure to others.

Do we know if any of the original POI's have continued to meet with LE along with their attorneys? I am guessing not, from Mrs. Spierer's comments all along, but just wondered. It would be so much easier if they would have done so a long time ago and try to get themselves cleared so that LE could move past them. Now, if they are in fact telling the truth, I think it is probably too late to catch whoever took Lauren, even if they eventually find her (if this WAS a stranger abduction.)

Some reporter asked LE during a presser whether or not JW was being cooperative and LE answered yes, he is being cooperative.

Note that it does not change my opinion about JW's involvement. I've seen similar cases where the #1 suspect is the most cooperative... just sayin...

<snipped>There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore, and who always will. So don't worry about people from your past; there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

This quote is a keeper! Thank you!

:dance:

I tried reading through that page, but there's so much chit chat... could you direct me to the post(s) about the negotiations?

I will look again but you can too. Both comments were on one or two very long threads > 100 as I recall. I looked this morning and one of them is even longer. Ugh. I noticed that threads and comments are prone to being yanked on the site too.

:silly:

ok.. so what if rather than an alibi, it was intended to let his buddies know that he was back from hiding LS? mission accomplished...

Or that he had returned back home to the greater Detroit area. Also mission accomplished.

ETD: 4 a.m.
ETA 10 a.m.
Total of 6 hours

Approximate driving distance from Bloomington to Detroit = 6 hours

By all means, please provide link to the report or Salzmann's statement.

From the photos thread-

img00212201106141737.jpg

Just to clarify for out-of-towners: The sidewalk in front of Salzmann's office in this photo is on the opposite side of the street where she would be walking if she were returning to Smallwood. If she were walking to JW's it's likely she would have been on Salzmann's side of the street.

ok.. so what if rather than an alibi, it was intended to let his buddies know that he was back from hiding LS? mission accomplished...

I wondered about that, too ... if it could be about LS or even drugs (i.e., hash), like the reference to "snow" on ZO's blog ("She's as pure as New York snow"). "The Runcible Spoon" sounds like a great restaurant, actually. The term is from the poem "The Owl and the Pussycat" ("The Owl and the Pussycat went to sea/In a beautiful pea-green boat"): "They dined on mince, and slices of quince,/Which they ate with a runcible spoon" (a sharp fork with three wide prongs).

I don't think these kids are lit majors ... and even if, I doubt they'd give their game away in a tweet. But you're right, it could be a simple "I'm back."

Abbey, here is one of the posts from the LS:CS FB grouop:

[poster's initials MM] JMO- After reading the post from [poster's initials CR] about Lauren's parents not wanting pressure on BPD and wanting the prosecutor to work with them, I believe the police know what happened. I believe Lauren OD and the boy or boys panicked and hid her body. I think the prosecuter and lawyers are working on a deal and Lauren's parents are hoping the prosecutor will go along with the terms so they can take Lauren home.

I wondered about that, too ... if it could be about LS or even drugs (i.e., hash), like the reference to "snow" on ZO's blog ("She's as pure as New York snow"). "The Runcible Spoon" sounds like a great restaurant, actually. The term is from the poem "The Owl and the Pussycat" ("The Owl and the Pussycat went to sea/In a beautiful pea-green boat"): "They dined on mince, and slices of quince,/Which they ate with a runcible spoon" (a sharp fork with three wide prongs).

I don't think these kids are lit majors ... and even if, I doubt they'd give their game away in a tweet. But you're right, it could be a simple "I'm back."

Just a technical note that there is no such thing as a runcible spoon - http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1228/whats-a-runcible-spoon.

I'll also mention that I'm a little skeptical in general of the facebook-post-as-message-delivery idea, though I suppose it's less obvious than a direct call/text. And because the diner is in Btown, it's at least counter-intuitive that it would be code for Michigan.

Just a technical note that there is no such thing as a runcible spoon - http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1228/whats-a-runcible-spoon.

I'll also mention that I'm a little skeptical in general of the facebook-post-as-message-delivery idea, though I suppose it's less obvious than a direct call/text. And because the diner is in Btown, it's at least counter-intuitive that it would be code for Michigan.

Ahhh ... so it's a literary concoction, if you will. It does show up in Merriam-Webster, attributed to Edward Lear, who wrote the poem.

I'm not sold on the "facebook-post-as-message-delivery idea"&#8212;but I can't totally discount it. As you note, it's less obvious than calling/texting ... also, FB is just a huge part of young life. The MI connection interests me.

BBM ... it IS a great restaurant! They're popular for breakfast. It's in an old house with lots of nooks & crannies, bookshelves and old books, so definitely a literary reference. All this talk has made me want to go eat there again next time I'm in town! :)

" Runcible Spoon getting my cornedbeef# 10:00 AM Jun 3rd via Twitter for iPhone "

For the record (I've said this before), I don't think the tweet was weird or noticeably out of character. I'm not even sold on the fact that this is the visitor HT was talking about, but for the sake of argument, let's say it was and that he hightailed it out of there early June 3rd:

Why would he create an unsolicited 'alibi' that places him in a public place at a precise time? As noted, a tweet isn't much of an alibi in itself, while using a cell phone to tweet would pinpoint your location, easily verifying or disproving it. Plus it seems like it would create a million other ways to be caught in a lie, by witnesses, cameras, receipts, etc. that could contradict his story. If a person was trying to come up with an alibi, I just can't imagine that would be it. For me to believe this person has anything to do with the story, I need something more.

10am - kinda early to have corned beef IMO.... seem to be a coded message.... any proof as your mentioned that he was actually there?

10am - kinda early to have corned beef IMO.... seem to be a coded message.... any proof as your mentioned that he was actually there?

Corned beef hash is on the breakfast menu.

I'm guessing that he was probably out for breakfast with friends, not alone, so I imagine this mystery would be easily solved. I do not think it was a code. JMO

BBM ... it IS a great restaurant! They're popular for breakfast. It's in an old house with lots of nooks & crannies, bookshelves and old books, so definitely a literary reference. All this talk has made me want to go eat there again next time I'm in town! :)

I'd like to eat there, too! Gotta love a restaurant with good food AND atmosphere. I'll be in southeast MI next week and will check out how congested the various lakes are around JR's hometown. It's a pretty area, but I don't know how much it's grown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BabyGhoul