Opening Statements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure those pictures were taken after she got the necklace? It was only in the last year or so of her life that she had that necklace.

If there were such a photo, Kurtz would have plastered it everywhere for all to see. He wasted no time posting the HT video on his firm's webpage and he would have done the same with such a photo that refuted that compelling state evidence.

If there wasn't a photo, I'd imagine the prosecution would have brought it up during opening arguments. That would be a big piece of evidence.

That's just the kind of mistake someone would make when they're flustered and moving rapidly to cover up a murder.

That is not the kind of mistake a person going running would have made.

Not really. Brad knows the difference between asics and saucony. He specifically said she went in Saucony shoes. The fact they found 2 asics for the same foot means nothing unless they can prove she didn't have or run in
Sauconys.

I do, and many women do.

I have a gold bracelet I got for my Bday and I have not taken it off from the moment it was put around my wrist, in Dec. That includes showering, exercising, sleeping, etc.

I can be included in that as well as some Olympic athletes I've noticed wearing jewelry while competing in track and field events. If Nancy wore that necklace at least 90% of the time, what are the odds she happened to take it off that night, let alone put it where it was found? MOO

If there wasn't a photo, I'd imagine the prosecution would have brought it up during opening arguments. That would be a big piece of evidence.
This was sliced and diced many times as it unfolded. Unless a photo recently appeared, there is not one.

The opening was weak, imo.
She could have read one of the SW's to the jury and it would have been more powerful.

JTF,

Why do you think they kept their opening so brief? It was maybe 30 min. So many things weren't mentioned--any thoughts as to why?

The weakest part of the opening statement, ""His job is knowing about phones," Fitzhugh said, "and he didn't know how to access his call history?"" Being a VoIP engineer does not imply anything about phone knowledge. Is a blackberry different than other types of smartphones when it comes to viewing recent calls?

JTF,

Why do you think they kept their opening so brief? It was maybe 30 min. So many things weren't mentioned--any thoughts as to why?
No idea....sure missed a good chance to set the stage and get the jury thinking their way with an emotional, compelling opening statement.

This ADA normally works the drug unit at the DA's office.
I do know Howard Cummings is dry and not very emotional.
Bet the defense was happy with the uninspired performance.

The weakest part of the opening statement, ""His job is knowing about phones," Fitzhugh said, "and he didn't know how to access his call history?"" Being a VoIP engineer does not imply anything about phone knowledge. Is a blackberry different than other types of smartphones when it comes to viewing recent calls?

I agree with you there....I'm a voip engineer and have never used a smartphone.

This was sliced and diced many times as it unfolded. Unless a photo recently appeared, there is not one.

The opening was weak, imo.
She could have read one of the SW's to the jury and it would have been more powerful.

How on earth can you say that? Who on here has access to their photos? I'm sure they had a whole computer full of photos.

Being a VoIP engineer does not imply anything about phone knowledge. Is a blackberry different than other types of smartphones when it comes to viewing recent calls?

While a VOIP engineer doesn't mean someone is a cell phone expert, it does mean that they are technically capable...more than a little capable, actually. And VOIP is used with phones, so it was disingenuous for Cooper to claim he didn't know how to do something pretty basic on his cell phone. I get that he was likely stalling or something, but I too would have thought "WTF" if I heard a telecom engineer say something like that. I'm in the telecom field and there's no way I'd believe that excuse. People are on their cell phones all the time. This guy knew how to use his phone, I have no doubt.

And with regards to any photos of her not wearing the necklace....if the defense had them, there is no way they would have ever made that public. They would simply wait for the prosecution to make a big deal about it at trial and then bring them out. Like finding the blow poke in the MP trial, or the Fuhrman tapes in the OJ trial. People act like these attorneys are incompetent.

The opening statement of the prosecution was just kind of ho hum to me. So, admittedly, I didn't listen that closely. The prosecution said they found the Saucony running shoes on the shelf or were they referring to the Asics?

^I don't know. The sw said they found 2 asics, so I would tend to believe that.

Capture1.jpg

This is a total contradiction :waitasec:

How on earth can you say that? Who on here has access to their photos? I'm sure they had a whole computer full of photos.

yep....the cops had full access to all computers, including digital photos.
Lets wait and see how it unfolds.

yep....the cops had full access to all computers, including digital photos.
Lets wait and see how it unfolds.

I agree. If they don't ever bring up the necklace, we'll know its because it was easily refuted.

I'm also wondering how someone would know that none of her shoes were missing. I don't know that I could definitively account for all of my husband's shoes nor could he account for all of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23