The "Parties" and Other Neighbor Accounts

My question for the neighbors is that if my neighbor had all that junk, tents and
smelly outhouses (laws?) (rats?) I think I would be definately calling the zoning board or LE. Esp. if he was a sex offender...........and kids where there! Were they blind? deaf?
or just plain wierd like Garrido's? IMO
ITA yep yep yep. I'm all over my neighborhood. I take care of my neighbor's yard across the street (they're elderly and don't get around too good). I know all the tenants in the 4-plex next to me (and I've even called the cops on the guys in the back - they were out front drinking beer and blasting music until 3 AM!!! DD and DH were really upset! It was a Friday but DH had to work that Saturday - it was funny when the cops came. Since then they still party but with more "reasonable" hours.

I know this place like the back of my hand and if I had ANY inkling - or SAW even just ONE of the events we've heard about - you betcha! I know the local LE that patrols this area and two of the public safety aides - so when I call - they not only come - they LISTEN!!!!

Ok, we have heard from the neighbors who knew about the home situation, but don't appear to have known about the 'family' situation. We have heard from the business associates who appear to have known the family, but not the situation and not the housing. Both have gaps in what they know. Who are we not hearing from?

Garrido was operating a church, was supposedly having services. We aren't hearing from anyone in his 'congregation.' Who attended his church, what did they see, hear or know about the situation? To me, these are the people who are going to know something. They apparently entered his home or at least his yard. I would guess that they met with Nancy, Jaycee and the girls. They would know what he preached in his alleged church (I mean their preacher was a drug addicted, alleged man who was allegedly addicted to forcible sex. Didn't it show? Was that his church doctrine, to be a sexual sadist and drug abuser? Didn't he ever give a testimonial about "his life before he got with God?") These are the people I want to hear from. To me, these are the people who could bridge that gap.

I looked specifically for a post with these kind of questions. Thanks Mysteriew!
I don't get the gap either. The one neighbor knew the mom for years at least and Nancy as her caregiver, so did they know about Jaycee and the kids too? No one could look at these blond women and think they were the Garrido's children.
If PG was taking the children places, then folks had to have seen the girls at least a few times in the car coming and going. I just don't understand how he hid this situation in brood daylight! I know I am not supposed to blame the neighbors but this is too weird that no one put two and two together when he was known as weird Phil or whatever and the girls supposedly have his eyes etc... and no way were they Nancy's kids.

I looked specifically for a post with these kind of questions. Thanks Mysteriew!
I don't get the gap either. The one neighbor knew the mom for years at least and Nancy as her caregiver, so did they know about Jaycee and the kids too? No one could look at these blond women and think they were the Garrido's children.
If PG was taking the children places, then folks had to have seen the girls at least a few times in the car coming and going. I just don't understand how he hid this situation in brood daylight! I know I am not supposed to blame the neighbors but this is too weird that no one put two and two together when he was known as weird Phil or whatever and the girls supposedly have his eyes etc... and no way were they Nancy's kids.

The neighbor, who is now being referenced as the one who knew his mother, is Helen Boyer. She was quoted in an abc news article this past weekend as saying that she saw the girls at the house sometimes and was told that they were "friends of the family". I believe she was specifically told they were the children of Nancy's friend who would come visit sometimes or maybe she was told that Nancy was watching them for her friend.

I had to look back in my history of sites I visited on Sunday, but here it is..starting on page 2 of the abc article.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/Story?id=8431843&page=2
-snip-
Boyer said she had seen three young girls at the house, who she now believes to be Jaycee and her 11-and 15-year-old daughters, but never thought anything was amiss.
She had known for a long time that Garrido was a registered sex offender, but didn't think to call authorities "because it was supposedly Nancy's friend's kids."

It has stuck me several times when neighbors and customers have given their accounts that apparently no one around there speaks to each other or compares notes. The children were referred to as in many different ways saying they were told by PG himself that they were his "daughters", his "nieces", "children of Nancy's friends", and children of PG's friends. So none of the neighbors speak to each other and say something like, "I saw Phil and his youngest daughter this morning" and the other person doesn't say, "His daughter? I thought the kids were his nieces."? Or say, "She's not his daughter, she's the child of a family friend". But nothing comes out of these people's mouths - for 18 years!!!

And why did they think the nieces or the children of friends were living with them all that time?

I hate to blame the neighbors for what this man and woman have done but I can't figure out why they were so completely clueless that it took to two strangers who only saw them for a short time to know something was terribly wrong. Hooray for those two college security officers.

It probably wouldn't have done any good if even a few (not brain dead) clients and people would have turned him in. The neighbor witnessed blonde pale girls living in the back yard and the cops did nothing. I'd be willing to bet my life savings that at least one other person turned him in over the years and was ignored. How these folks thought a pale man married to mexican woman had a bunch of white blonde daughters of all ages is beyond me. And he was nuttier than a fruitcake while hauling them around to boot.

-bumping, since the subject of the neighbors is coming up again

My question for the neighbors is that if my neighbor had all that junk, tents and
smelly outhouses (laws?) (rats?) I think I would be definately calling the zoning board or LE. Esp. if he was a sex offender...........and kids where there! Were they blind? deaf?
or just plain wierd like Garrido's? IMO

well that cop did warn him about a code violation :banghead:
one intresting thing on dateline tonight i didnt knwo was all the times in the last 2 years garrido has called 911 for his mother. so the paramedics didnt notice how trashed the inside of the house was?

KBL--I noticed that too plus the call from Nancy. Too bad they weren't as concerned with Jaycee's well being. Possibly they didn't want the mother to die as they were living off her funds JMO. Did NG's voice sound like you expected? To me, she sounded "softer" and even more timid. That makes the charges against her even creepier. Yuck.

well that cop did warn him about a code violation :banghead:
one intresting thing on dateline tonight i didnt knwo was all the times in the last 2 years garrido has called 911 for his mother. so the paramedics didnt notice how trashed the inside of the house was?

Probably because it wasn't trashed prior to the cops ripping it up.

I keep thinking about the backyard parties and find it difficult, at best, to believe that pg would place Jaycee, his "prize", helpmate, "wife" (as she was introduced, at times), Mother to his only children, keeper of the business, in a tent with numerous strangers abusing her. He had used and taken her from the time she lost her virginity at 11, until at least when their second daughter was born. I am sure in his sicko "logic" her purity helped keep her alive.

Is he cruel, sadistic, evil, of course! All of his sexual perversions have been for his own enjoyment however. He rapes and hurts for HIS enjoyment. I would be more likely to believe that either prostitutes or ng were the victims in the tent parties. (Remember ng stating they both had the same type of sexual tastes?)

This of course is my opinion only, but it would fit with his selfish sexual appetite, keeping his ultimate sexual victim pure for him. What a sick son of a, yep, that!

This could also be my brain in self protection mode, refusing to even want to believe that even he could have stooped that low. Denial, the hardest path to avoid.

KBL--I noticed that too plus the call from Nancy. Too bad they weren't as concerned with Jaycee's well being. Possibly they didn't want the mother to die as they were living off her funds JMO. Did NG's voice sound like you expected? To me, she sounded "softer" and even more timid. That makes the charges against her even creepier. Yuck.

they both seemed so worried about patricia and soft spoken. it made it even more vomit inducing.

I keep thinking about the backyard parties and find it difficult, at best, to believe that pg would place Jaycee, his "prize", helpmate, "wife" (as she was introduced, at times), Mother to his only children, keeper of the business, in a tent with numerous strangers abusing her. He had used and taken her from the time she lost her virginity at 11, until at least when their second daughter was born. I am sure in his sicko "logic" her purity helped keep her alive.

Is he cruel, sadistic, evil, of course! All of his sexual perversions have been for his own enjoyment however. He rapes and hurts for HIS enjoyment. I would be more likely to believe that either prostitutes or ng were the victims in the tent parties. (Remember ng stating they both had the same type of sexual tastes?)

This of course is my opinion only, but it would fit with his selfish sexual appetite, keeping his ultimate sexual victim pure for him. What a sick son of a, yep, that!

This could also be my brain in self protection mode, refusing to even want to believe that even he could have stooped that low. Denial, the hardest path to avoid.

i hope your right really.

Mysteriew--Check out the thread, "Garrido's Church". There are some interesting posts there. The issue of the Garrido's involvement in the JW church comes up and I posted several links to JW forums which are discussing the case.

"In a psychological evaluation after the first year of Garrido's sentence, psychologist J.B. Kiehlbauch wrote that Garrido had joined the Jehovah's Witnesses and became a fervent practitioner." (From the LA Times)

The most pressing question for me was an issue brought up on one of the JW forums. It seems probable that PG's mother was a JW. We know she was housebound and disabled. The posters comment that that would mean that she would have received home visits from "elders" and "brothers". Did they notice nothing?

And if PG and NG were still JW, wouldn't the elders be visiting and counseling them? They'd been in that house for a long time. It has been reported that PG used his JW faith as a reason he should be released early from prison. NG is also reported to have been JW. One would think that their elders would know their background (PG's prison time and RSO status) and would counsel them on these issues. One would think, wouldn't one?

And if elders were in the home, would they have witnessed to Jaycee and the girls. Would they have asked questions. Why are we not hearing more from the local JW church?

Anyway, check out the other thread and see what you think.

I've also thought a lot along those lines and wondered if the girls at the parties were some other victims. We don't know when the parties were, do we?

Mysteriew--Check out the thread, "Garrido's Church". There are some interesting posts there. The issue of the Garrido's involvement in the JW church comes up and I posted several links to JW forums which are discussing the case.

"In a psychological evaluation after the first year of Garrido's sentence, psychologist J.B. Kiehlbauch wrote that Garrido had joined the Jehovah's Witnesses and became a fervent practitioner." (From the LA Times)

The most pressing question for me was an issue brought up on one of the JW forums. It seems probable that PG's mother was a JW. We know she was housebound and disabled. The posters comment that that would mean that she would have received home visits from "elders" and "brothers". Did they notice nothing?

And if PG and NG were still JW, wouldn't the elders be visiting and counseling them? They'd been in that house for a long time. It has been reported that PG used his JW faith as a reason he should be released early from prison. NG is also reported to have been JW. One would think that their elders would know their background (PG's prison time and RSO status) and would counsel them on these issues. One would think, wouldn't one?

And if elders were in the home, would they have witnessed to Jaycee and the girls. Would they have asked questions. Why are we not hearing more from the local JW church?

Anyway, check out the other thread and see what you think.

In the photos we've seen nearly every room had a JW Bible so it wasn't just a passive interest in the religion.

I read that NG was a JW when she started visiting PG in prison. Dateline inferred that they concocted a plan to get PG out of prison.

It has stuck me several times when neighbors and customers have given their accounts that apparently no one around there speaks to each other or compares notes. The children were referred to as in many different ways saying they were told by PG himself that they were his "daughters", his "nieces", "children of Nancy's friends", and children of PG's friends. So none of the neighbors speak to each other and say something like, "I saw Phil and his youngest daughter this morning" and the other person doesn't say, "His daughter? I thought the kids were his nieces."? Or say, "She's not his daughter, she's the child of a family friend". But nothing comes out of these people's mouths - for 18 years!!!

And why did they think the nieces or the children of friends were living with them all that time?

I hate to blame the neighbors for what this man and woman have done but I can't figure out why they were so completely clueless that it took to two strangers who only saw them for a short time to know something was terribly wrong. Hooray for those two college security officers.

I have lived in neighborhoods that were "starter" neighborhoods, small modest houses with many rentals. I knew a few neighbors but there were definitely a lot of neighbors who did NOT want to "know" others nor did they want you to try to know them. You really had to make an effort to get to know people, it was not a welcome wagon situation. I went across the street and fed a guy's dogs after he left them alone in the yard for days, and when he got back he was not pleased that I had done that. He moved out (years later) and left a freezer full of meat rotting in the yard... I dunno, all I mean is that a lot of people try to stay out of each other's way in neighborhoods like that. My neighbor was not a criminal (that I know of), just a redneck and a loser.

I'd like to make an observation about the neighbors. This is an observation as I have no idea what really went on in the minds of these particular neighbors. Just food for thought.

Our family lives in a very nice, historical neighborhood. My husband and I are middle-aged. That's where "average" stops for us. We have 13 children (of numerous heritages and ethnicities) with 8 of the children being within 18 months in age. My children have a variety of special needs and behaviors. There have been MANY times over the 16 years we've lived here where there has been screaming, rages, seizures, police, ambulances, loud noises, kids sneaking out at night, state issued cars out front, thumping, bumping, odd occurrences.

I worked out of the home as a child advocate and my husband was a contractor so he had variable hours. We also do small dog rescue so there's a lot going on with dogs at our house.

We are not particularly close to any of our neighbors as we've always been too busy to socialize. I think they all vaguely know who we are and what we're about (or think they do). We wave and say hi but that's about it. We have always tried valiantly to keep our "issues" behind closed doors and to present a pleasant and settled view to the neighbors (sound familiar?). We feel that they deserve their peace and quiet. Our teachers, doctors, therapists, and case workers know EVERYTHING that happens here. That's why we've developed and maintained a respected reputation with the work we do. That's the back story.

OK, not once in 16 years have I ever had the police show up because a neighbor called. Never once have I had someone stop in front of our home and inquire about the number of children. Never once have we been reported to Children's Services (we've had required reports from schools, etc. but never anonymously by neighbors). Never once have I heard a rumor about our family coming from the neighborhood.

My point is that gradually, over time, people stop seeing what is going on right under their noses, even if it is unusual. My children could have been stolen (yes, I have all the adoption documents). I could be hurting someone when there was screaming (I wasn't, but I might have wanted to!). We could have far more dogs than allowed in the city (definitely). My husband could be trafficking in stolen building materials or equipment (he's not).

Does this speak to the nature of my very decent neighbors or neighbors in general? I am not trying, in any way, to let the Garrido neighbors off the hook. I am merely attempting to propose the idea that it is far more likely that a neighbor will "mind their own business" than not.

I'm the type of person who calls the police any time doesn't seem right. If I hear a child crying for a long period of time, I'll go check. I might call Children's Services if I suspect something isn't "right". If I hear a screaming argument, I'll call the police. If I hear a dog barking as if it might be in pain, I'll call animal control. I have a feeling that a lot of us on WS fall into this category. I think we might be in the minority, however. JMO

Bear with me as I need to add to my post above. I read my post aloud to my husband and he started laughing and reminded me of an occurrence just two weeks ago.

So, fast forward to the present. Most of our kids are grown but the neighborhood is the same. Very nice and quiet.

My husband and I were sitting out on our balcony having dinner. When he sat down, he accidentally set off our car alarm with the key in his pocket. I happen to have a seizure disorder and I fell to the floor of the balcony and had a nasty seizure. My seizures usually start with a scream. Well, this time, I went all out. My husband said that I let out a blood curdling scream which lasted two minutes. I screamed so loud that I really hurt my throat. He protected my head and his first thought was that someone was going to call the police about a rape or a murder.

He said that he juggled my head with one hand and grabbed his cell phone with the other. He dialed 911 and told the dispatcher what was going on. He said that I kept screaming so loud he could hardly hear what she told him. He told her that he did NOT need a police officer to respond as he had the situation under control and that I was under a doctor's care. We did not need an ambulance. He hung up to deal with me.

Well, ten minutes later, a police officer did show up. He was very nice but confused and thought that my husband had called for help. I was still moaning and crying. The officer could not see me as I was up on the balcony and he was standing in our front yard. The officer asked if he could help and my husband said that everything was under control. Not once, did the officer lay eyes on me. The officer also told my husband that no neighbors had called.

What's wrong with this picture? We didn't know this officer. I'm not listed on any computer database as being disabled. I could have been laying there in a pool of blood!! We laugh about the story now but when you think about it, it's kind of creepy. A woman screams at the top of her lungs for a couple of minutes and then stops. An officer shows up and can hear a woman moaning and "struggling" and wishes my husband a good evening. He completely bought my husband's "story".

See? Admittedly, we're decent people telling the truth. We're also convincing. Well, so are criminals. Think about how that officer almost didn't believe Katie when PG was raping her.

PG might or might not be crazy but he was certainly convincing and composed. Neighbors, police, people in general often believe what they are told and what seems to make sense. They also see what they want to see. How wrong we can be!!

Thinking about the backyard parties...there is a person who hasn't been mentioned as possibly being in the tent.

Didn't Nancy G, when someone mentioned that her husband liked "forceful sex", reply that "we have the same taste"?

She was doing drugs, she had perverse taste in sex, and Garrido may not have viewed her in the same way that he viewed Jaycee.
Maybe it brought in some money. When she was fired after drug testing, it might have been the way that she was forced to earn a living. And Garrido would probably have enjoyed it. After all, she was too old for HIM.

Thinking about the backyard parties...there is a person who hasn't been mentioned as possibly being in the tent.

Didn't Nancy G, when someone mentioned that her husband liked "forceful sex", reply that "we have the same taste"?

She was doing drugs, she had perverse taste in sex, and Garrido may not have viewed her in the same way that he viewed Jaycee.
Maybe it brought in some money. When she was fired after drug testing, it might have been the way that she was forced to earn a living. And Garrido would probably have enjoyed it. After all, she was too old for HIM.

:sick:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back