GUILTY MD - Aniyah Batchelor, 2, beaten to death, Fort Washington, 3 July 2012

For me, having answers to any other these questions is meaningless. Obviously, something is wrong since they're operating outside normal parameters. Every criminal has all kinds of excuses for why they murdered someone, did drugs, or robbed a bank. Is their defense ever just "I felt like it", "It gave me pleasure" or "I was greedy"? No. They always fall back on their sad childhood or mental illness as an excuse. No one is helping the situation by making excuses and coddling these psychos.

I don't care how old or young the murderer is. If they take another life, they need to pay with their own.

I agree with you totally, Cracka*Jaxx.

A murderer is a murderer, IMO. I am not a bleeding heart for excuses. It is what it is - murder of a two year old in the worst way - beaten to death. I wonder how long it took? Coddle him now and I suspect he will either do the same or worse in the future. Not me, coach. He could have stopped, but didn't.

MOO

A murderer is a murderer, IMO. I am not a bleeding heart for excuses. It is what it is - murder of a two year old in the worst way - beaten to death. I wonder how long it took? Coddle him now and I suspect he will either do the same or worse in the future. Not me, coach. He could have stopped, but didn't.

MOO

I don't see anyone here suggesting he be coddled. I too would like to know the answers to n~t's questions. I don't see how anyone will ever be able to prevent this type of crime unless these questions are asked. These kids need to get help before it gets to this point. These questions need to be asked, every time.

MOO

And I agree with you both.

I have followed young juvenile murderers for years now and their acts of homicide are extremely heinous and cruel. Most of them consist of premeditation and they try to cover up their crimes.

I dont know what the answer is when the very young murder but imo it certainly is not the juvenile justice system that lets them out by the time they are either 18 or no later than 21.

Imo, as far as the excuses there are none that will rationalize such a horrific act away. It matters not to me IF he was a troubled kid or even IF he suffered some type of abuse or IF his life wasnt ideal. Abuse doesnt turn someone into being a murder ...killing someone makes them a murderer. If abuse really was a contributing factor then the millions who are abused yearly would turn around and abuse or become a murderer. These young killers are in a league of their own, imo, and extremely dangerous.

Remember the 8 year old AZ boy that laid in wait and murdered two men in cold blood? He too got such sympathy just because of his age. He got more sympathy than the ones he murdered and not one shred of abuse was ever uncovered.:(

Well this is what is happening with that kid now who is in a mental health treatment facility. It is obvious that the treatment isnt working but I have read that treating a fledgling psychopath with precription medication who has a conduct disorder can make them even worse and IMO, CR cant be fixed.

A probation officer has moved to revoke the probation of a 12-year-old St. Johns, Ariz., boy who killed his father four years ago, alleging that the child repeatedly threatened staffers and damaged property at a treatment center in Phoenix.

A petition filed last week by Apache County juvenile probation officer Michael O'Brien says the boy engaged in a series of violent and threatening incidents over the past three months. While simulating a handgun, Christian allegedly talked of shooting his therapist at the Youth Development Institute, a private, not-for-profit facility in central Phoenix. He also is accused of shoving the therapist against a wall, threatening to kill a roommate, destroying property and running away. Christian Romero has no defense attorney, and his guardian ad litem could not be reached for comment.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-03-27/arizona-boy-killed-father-probation/53808790/1

Let this kid out and he will be moving to a town near one of us and our children or grandchildren.

We have got to find a responsible way of dealing with young killers and the juvie system isnt the answer. And dont think these young kids dont know they are treated much differently than if they were an adult. They know. They could kill 40 people and still be out in a few short years. Does this really make any sense and how is it justice for the victims who have been murdered.

I imagine this kid in this case lost his temper when the 2 year old toddler maybe got into something that belonged to him or maybe the 2 year old wanted his attention and he went ballistic because the toddler was 'bugging' him.

Very few of the cases I have read in recent years really had nothing to do with abuse but was more about self centeredness and the kids flew into a rage because they were either being 'bugged' by the victim or didnt get their way about something or had one of their material possessions taken away.

IMO

I'm sorry, but age 12 is the age of accountability and this boy was old enough to know what he was doing. The truth is, he obviously didn't care. He needs to be punished and that little 2 year old deserves justice. For those who feel sorry for him, he will be out at age 21, if not before. At least he can go out and live life at that time. The 2 year old is gone forever.

I may sound hard, but that is how I feel.

MOO

For me, the bottom line is that this 12 year old boy beat a 2 year old to death. This takes some effort and intention :( . To persist in the assault until the 2 year old was near death or dead is "enough" for me to conclude this is a deeply disturbed young man. "Narcissistic" or antisocial or psychopathic or whatever . . . any person who commits to beating a 2 year old for the length of time it takes them to become mortally injured makes the neighbor's kind words irrelevant. Seriously, his verbalizations about "success" and how impressed his neighbor for whatever reason FADE into the background because he beat a 2 year old to death with his own hands.

Whatever this 12 year old child is, he is murderous, and does not possess the empathy or foresight to curb his impulses.

I've been following the other 12 (now 13) year old Cristian Fernandez's story, and disagree he should be tried as an adult, very much. I hope the 12 year old in this incident remains free of this issue. At the same time, the seriousness of their crime must not be dumbed down due to their age, just dealt with appropriately, perhaps creatively (not exactly a strong suit in the criminal justice realm, but I still wish).

Whatever he is, he murdered a helpless toddler at an age where MOST human beings have firmly established empathy for babies. I don't care if he told the neighbor he wanted to start a non-profit for kids with cancer . . . he killed a baby with his own hands. He is dangerous, unpredictable, impulsive, and deadly :( . The fact of what he did describes him, not the neighbor's brief interactions with him, no matter how positive.

Please do not misunderstand. I am not saying I feel sorry for the 12 year old or that I think he should not face whatever consequences the law has in store for him.

I was simply expressing my frustration with cases such as this where victim and perpetrator are both children. It just strikes me as doubly tragic. For the family, two lives, all that unknown potential, poof - gone.

Please do not misunderstand. I am not saying I feel sorry for the 12 year old or that I think he should not face whatever consequences the law has in store for him.

I was simply expressing my frustration with cases such as this where victim and perpetrator are both children. It just strikes me as doubly tragic. For the family, two lives, all that unknown potential, poof - gone.

It is tragic for all involved here. I totally get what you are saying, tlcox.

This boy did not get to age 12 without knowing there are consequesces to ones own actions, IMO, and he needs to pay for ending the life of a two year old baby.

I am just always on the side of the victim, and I know you always are also from having read your posts for so long. I think we are all extremely frustrated.

MOO

And I agree with you both.

I have followed young juvenile murderers for years now and their acts of homicide are extremely heinous and cruel. Most of them consist of premeditation and they try to cover up their crimes.

I dont know what the answer is when the very young murder but imo it certainly is not the juvenile justice system that lets them out by the time they are either 18 or no later than 21.

Imo, as far as the excuses there are none that will rationalize such a horrific act away. It matters not to me IF he was a troubled kid or even IF he suffered some type of abuse or IF his life wasnt ideal. Abuse doesnt turn someone into being a murder ...killing someone makes them a murderer. If abuse really was a contributing factor then the millions who are abused yearly would turn around and abuse or become a murderer. These young killers are in a league of their own, imo, and extremely dangerous.

Remember the 8 year old AZ boy that laid in wait and murdered two men in cold blood? He too got such sympathy just because of his age. He got more sympathy than the ones he murdered and not one shred of abuse was ever uncovered.:(

Well this is what is happening with that kid now who is in a mental health treatment facility. It is obvious that the treatment isnt working but I have read that treating a fledgling psychopath with precription medication who has a conduct disorder can make them even worse and IMO, CR cant be fixed.

A probation officer has moved to revoke the probation of a 12-year-old St. Johns, Ariz., boy who killed his father four years ago, alleging that the child repeatedly threatened staffers and damaged property at a treatment center in Phoenix.

A petition filed last week by Apache County juvenile probation officer Michael O'Brien says the boy engaged in a series of violent and threatening incidents over the past three months. While simulating a handgun, Christian allegedly talked of shooting his therapist at the Youth Development Institute, a private, not-for-profit facility in central Phoenix. He also is accused of shoving the therapist against a wall, threatening to kill a roommate, destroying property and running away. Christian Romero has no defense attorney, and his guardian ad litem could not be reached for comment.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-03-27/arizona-boy-killed-father-probation/53808790/1

Let this kid out and he will be moving to a town near one of us and our children or grandchildren.

We have got to find a responsible way of dealing with young killers and the juvie system isnt the answer. And dont think these young kids dont know they are treated much differently than if they were an adult. They know. They could kill 40 people and still be out in a few short years. Does this really make any sense and how is it justice for the victims who have been murdered.

I imagine this kid in this case lost his temper when the 2 year old toddler maybe got into something that belonged to him or maybe the 2 year old wanted his attention and he went ballistic because the toddler was 'bugging' him.

Very few of the cases I have read in recent years really had nothing to do with abuse but was more about self centeredness and the kids flew into a rage because they were either being 'bugged' by the victim or didnt get their way about something or had one of their material possessions taken away.

IMO

Wow, I had no idea all that was going on with this boy. Thanks for the update.

I don't know what makes a child turn into a killer. Sometimes I wonder if it is a perfect storm of environment, experiences, and genes. Because you are right OBE, many children are abused (I was) and do not turn out to be killers.
The only reason the 'why' of it all matters is that perhaps these kids could be recognized and helped before they turn to violence.
Then there are children who kill who were never abused and the people close to them are shocked. Nobody seems to have the answer to that one either.
We can't ever change what has already happened, but maybe we could recognize the child who is heading that way, help him, and avoid more lives being lost.
This could all be wishful thinking on my part, or course.

From October 2012:

http://wjla.com/news/local/aniyah-batchelor-murder-12-year-old-suspect-due-in-court-81332

The 13-year-old boy accused in the beating death of a 2-year-old foster child living with his family will not go to a detention center. Instead, he will be sent to therapeutic foster care.

Prosecutors say the boy entered an Alford Plea to involuntary manslaughter in the July death in Fort Washington...

He'll be going to a place away from his family where he'll continue school and get psychiatric treatment.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back