Found Deceased IL - Benedetta 'Beth' Bentley, 41, Mount Vernon, 23 May 2010 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Bugs. Do you mind if I call you Bugs? It reminds me of Michael Jordan in Space Jam. :croc: ;)

CA? Could be....

I'm still listening and trying to sort this out. Im familiar with Woodstock, still kind of a small town close to the Chain O' Lakes/ McHenry and Fox lake... a bit north of Lake in the Hills....

I'm trying to figure out the train stuff and why a train and not driving and why Beth would chose not go ride home with the ride there.....

It makes no sense. Only J puts Beth at the Amtrak station in Centralia. No one else saw Beth. Beth's husband does not even know she is supposedly going to take the train home instead. Conveniently, the Amtrak platform has no cameras or staff to note Beth's presence (or lack of). Amtrak has no record of her purchasing a ticket.

I think the logical next question is nothing to do with the train. Where was the last place she was before she was supposed to get on the train?

Bear in mind she was staying more like by Mt. Vernon. Centralia, where the Amtrak is, is like 40-ish miles from there.

One more thought: J has stated she did not wait around to see Beth actually board the train and get off safely. ???

I keep thinking along the lines of why would Beth travel by train? I don't want to sound snobbish by any means, but I can't see someone married to an atty (right?) taking a train from downstate back to Chicago. Especially taking a train that was scheduled to leave Chicago at 12:30 and to arrive in Woodstock at 2:01 am.

I am from the burbs and going to the City on the metra - one still has to walk blocks among towering high rises from one station to the other. I find it hard to imagine Beth walking from Union station to Ogle something or other at 12:30 am to cross stations... People from the burbs do that for work, not necessarily in the middle of the night from southern IL to make it home. It would be less money to get a hotel or motel room and even rent a car to get back home if she had an argument with her friend.

The train makes no sense..... I hate to say that, but it really makes no sense.... I don't think Beth ever had plans for a train ride.....

JMO.

Ok Bugs. Do you mind if I call you Bugs? It reminds me of Michael Jordan in Space Jam. :croc: ;)

CA? Could be....

I'm still listening and trying to sort this out. Im familiar with Woodstock, still kind of a small town close to the Chain O' Lakes/ McHenry and Fox lake... a bit north of Lake in the Hills....

I'm trying to figure out the train stuff and why a train and not driving and why Beth would chose not go ride home with the ride there.....

LOL you can call me Bugs. Just don't call me late for dinner lol.

The friend decided to stay an extra day... maybe there was something Beth had to do on Monday that she needed to be home. Maybe there was a fight between the two friends.

(just thinking here...) According to the video and article here

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?se...7571&rss=rss-abcnewsLocal-wls-article-7477571

May 23 was the last time her husband Scott spoke with Beth.

"She told me she loved me and I'll see you soon," said Scott.

Scott's wife told him she would be driving back to Woodstock late on night of the 23rd or early in the morning on the 24th. Scott Bentley says Beth never mentioned taking a train back.

So whatever time is was he last spoke to Beth, be it "afternoon" or 6 pm, she was still at that point planning to return with J by car.

So it would seem that J's decision to stay an extra day was sudden and unexpected (by Beth, anyway). IMO, that's rather inconsiderate and perhaps Beth thought so too. It appears she went along as a favor to J, and now she's stranded 300 miles from home. Did J actually take her to the train station, or did Beth leave on her own ("fine! I'll take the train back"), only to find the last train had already departed?

The train makes no sense..... I hate to say that, but it really makes no sense.... I don't think Beth ever had plans for a train ride.....

JMO.

Yep. I don't think she did, either. JMO of course also.

It makes no sense. Only J puts Beth at the Amtrak station in Centralia. No one else saw Beth. Beth's husband does not even know she is supposedly going to take the train home instead. Conveniently, the Amtrak platform has no cameras or staff to note Beth's presence (or lack of). Amtrak has no record of her purchasing a ticket.

I think the logical next question is nothing to do with the train. Where was the last place she was before she was supposed to get on the train?

Bear in mind she was staying more like by Mt. Vernon. Centralia, where the Amtrak is, is like 40-ish miles from there.

One more thought: J has stated she did not wait around to see Beth actually board the train and get off safely. ???

BBM

... and who were the last people to see her?

How much do you know about J's boyfriend?

I think it's pretty clear that J isn't telling the truth here.

radiant, we are thinking along the same lines.... I don't know Centralia... I've driven to St. Louis and only know one wrong turn lands me in East Chicago or some horrible area - which is like getting lost in the wrong neighborhood in Chicago. (and I did that a few times in Cabrini Green back in the day )

The key here is where did Beth stay in Centralia and who was rehabbing this home. Where did her calls last ping from?

When I grew up, the rule was I picked you up, I am bringing you home - You want to go back out, have so and so pick you up from your home where I drop you off. I thought that was the 'unwritten' girl rule.

I'm not figuring out the friend doesn't bring the friend home thing.

Also...

When did J arrive back home? Did she call Beth at any point to see that she made it back ok? If she didn't get an answer on the cell, did she try the home phone? Or her husband's law office?

radiant, we are thinking along the same lines.... I don't know Centralia... I've driven to St. Louis and only know one wrong turn lands me in East Chicago or some horrible area - which is like getting lost in the wrong neighborhood in Chicago. (and I did that a few times in Cabrini Green back in the day )

The key here is where did Beth stay in Centralia and who was rehabbing this home. Where did her calls last ping from?

When I grew up, the rule was I picked you up, I am bringing you home - You want to go back out, have so and so pick you up from your home where I drop you off. I thought that was the 'unwritten' girl rule.

J's version of events seem to be inconsistent with everyone else's --- amtrak, passengers/conductors, police, husband.

An odd post on the FB group says something like--Beth, no matter what has happened in the past, we all love you. No matter what, we love you and want you home. Your safety is all that matters.

LOL you can call me Bugs. Just don't call me late for dinner lol.

The friend decided to stay an extra day... maybe there was something Beth had to do on Monday that she needed to be home. Maybe there was a fight between the two friends.

(just thinking here...) According to the video and article here

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?se...7571&rss=rss-abcnewsLocal-wls-article-7477571

So whatever time is was he last spoke to Beth, be it "afternoon" or 6 pm, she was still at that point planning to return with J by car.

So it would seem that J's decision to stay an extra day was sudden and unexpected (by Beth, anyway). IMO, that's rather inconsiderate and perhaps Beth thought so too. It appears she went along as a favor to J, and now she's stranded 300 miles from home. Did J actually take her to the train station, or did Beth leave on her own ("fine! I'll take the train back"), only to find the last train had already departed?

That would make sense except one of the earlier articles stated the original plans were to come home late Sunday or Early Monday. So that was 'up in the air' but most likely planned on leaving Sun Evening.

Something happened that seperated Beth from her friend, why and where?

I agree with the she left thing.. Maybe Beth got Po'd and while steamed started venting to the wrong person?

BBM

... and who were the last people to see her?

How much do you know about J's boyfriend?

I think it's pretty clear that J isn't telling the truth here.

Can't answer that first question. I know nothing about J's boyfriend, except they went there to visit him in the Mt. Vernon area where he has been staying "rehabbing a house."

I'm fairly certain the police would agree with your last statement.

From the CNN AC360° blog:

But Bentley’s friend told detectives she drove her to a train station in Centralia, Illinois, on May 23, Police Chief Lowen said. “We don’t know why that decision was made to take the train back to the Chicago area,” Lowen added. “Doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason that they would do that.”

“The only information we have from the friend is that she dropped her off at this train station, probably about a half-hour before the train departed,” Lowen said. “She never saw her get on the train.”

“We’ve been working with Amtrak police to see if the ticket has ever been purchased. We have no information that the ticket was ever purchased,” Lowen told CNN.

Radiant, do you know if police have searched in and around the house in Mt Vernon, and if they've brought in dogs?

I don't think they can assume she ever left that location.

An odd post on the FB group says something like--Beth, no matter what has happened in the past, we all love you. No matter what, we love you and want you home. Your safety is all that matters.

That was a total red flag for me as well. I puzzled over that one for days.

That would make sense except one of the earlier articles stated the original plans were to come home late Sunday or Early Monday. So that was 'up in the air' but most likely planned on leaving Sun Evening.

Something happened that seperated Beth from her friend, why and where?

I agree with the she left thing.. Maybe Beth got Po'd and while steamed started venting to the wrong person?

BBM

I took that to mean she would be arriving late Sunday/early Monday. According to mapquest, it's a bit over 300 miles, so figure 5-6 hour trip.

J's sister is responding to every post that mentions J with a statement something like, paraphrased, "J can't say anything because her lawyer has told her not to speak publicly about this."

radiant, we are thinking along the same lines.... I don't know Centralia...

Yes, she was staying more in Mt. Vernon area than Centralia, they are 40-ish miles apart. Centralia is where the Amtrak station is, that was the reason they were supposedly in Centralia, to drop Beth off, so maybe we take Centralia out of the equation at this point, at least temporarily, wondering perhaps if it could be a diversion from where the truth lies.

I'm not figuring out friend doesn't bring friend home, either.

J's sister is responding to every post that mentions J with a statement something like, paraphrased, "J can't say anything because her lawyer has told her not to speak publicly about this."

Yes, I quoted this (in italics) in my first post on here earlier this morning. I find it interesting that she would do that, because in doing so, she absolutely verified the identity of the friend everyone was wondering about.

Friend with whom Beth went away for the weekend, and who supposedly dropped her off at the Amtrak station:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1031154364&v=wall

She posted around April 8 that her ex shot up her grandmother's house and police found 20 rounds. WTF?

She and Beth are apparently very close friends who make lots of roadtrips together. It's just very curious to me why Beth wouldn't stay another day and ride back with J, who is supposedly her best friend.
I don't know if this has been pointed out...but on Jan 29th she says she is on her way to California to take her ex to court. Makes me think that the grandmother's house and the guy who shot it up are in California, not Illinois.

Also...

When did J arrive back home? Did she call Beth at any point to see that she made it back ok? If she didn't get an answer on the cell, did she try the home phone? Or her husband's law office?

I forgot about thinking about what J did when she got home. That makes sense! Her FB postings seemed odd to me... her friend is missing, I want my friend back vs. where is my friend. I can't imagine my saying I want my friend back unless I knew I made some mistake.... My hinky meter went up with the I want Beth back versus where is my friend.....

Something is not right.....and J or someone close to Beth knows... IF this was a stranger abduction from the train platform the stories would not be so conflicting...... and argument ensued... and someone needs to be honest about that and what happened.

JMO

I'm sleep posting....

gonna call it a 'morning' -
TG for Saturdays with Grandpa I will get a nap in later today after being up in no time.

See you guys later today and lets see if we can find Beth - hopefully Safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb